Warrior Cats Online

Warrior Cats Online (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Warriors Roleplay (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Coming Home (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69740)

Spartan-117 September 25th, 2023 01:32 PM

Coming Home

@spookysock

He closes his eyes and tightens his grip on the award in his hand. He then feels it almost bite into his grip before he opens his hand and looks at the blood on his hand. He frowns before sighing, shaking his head. He kind of wished that he could have stayed on the battlefield - he wishes that he would have died over there. Then he would not have come home to the awkward looks and pitying glances.

He wishes he would have not lost his brother. Gunther was... Everything to him. Wilhelm had vowed to protect him - the two Hans brothers had vowed to make sure that the other had returned home. Their mother had made them promise.

But now, as Wilhelm Hans walks down the street that his home was on, he comes face to face with Russians, Americans, and British soldiers and civilians going through rubble that were once houses. When he sees the rubble of his old house, he almost falls to his knees.

"Mama?" He whispers, before starts to run towards the house. He shoves another young person out of the way before the seventeen-year-old German soldier falls to his knees at the edge of the rubble. His breathing quickens and he starts to tear at the rubble until his bloody hands are covered in soot, ash, and smaller cuts.

sock September 25th, 2023 01:46 PM

Re: Coming Home

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1476617)
@spookysock

He closes his eyes and tightens his grip on the award in his hand. He then feels it almost bite into his grip before he opens his hand and looks at the blood on his hand. He frowns before sighing, shaking his head. He kind of wished that he could have stayed on the battlefield - he wishes that he would have died over there. Then he would not have come home to the awkward looks and pitying glances.

He wishes he would have not lost his brother. Gunther was... Everything to him. Wilhelm had vowed to protect him - the two Hans brothers had vowed to make sure that the other had returned home. Their mother had made them promise.

But now, as Wilhelm Hans walks down the street that his home was on, he comes face to face with Russians, Americans, and British soldiers and civilians going through rubble that were once houses. When he sees the rubble of his old house, he almost falls to his knees.

"Mama?" He whispers, before starts to run towards the house. He shoves another young person out of the way before the seventeen-year-old German soldier falls to his knees at the edge of the rubble. His breathing quickens and he starts to tear at the rubble until his bloody hands are covered in soot, ash, and smaller cuts.

Caroline didn't want to be here. She didn't want to be anywhere near here. She wanted to be home. And as far as she knew, she would soon be going home. Back to her dad, back to her mum - but right now she was waiting for her brother. Her brother was the reason she was here, and furthermore, was the bane of her existence.

Already in a bad mood, it didn't help when some bloke nearly knocked her off her feet. "Oi!" she yelped as she regained her balance, glaring through square-ish glasses at the young man who'd shoved her. Her bright blue eyes softened, though, at the sight of him digging hurriedly through the ruins of a house. She guessed it must of been his.

Spartan-117 September 25th, 2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1476625)
Caroline didn't want to be here. She didn't want to be anywhere near here. She wanted to be home. And as far as she knew, she would soon be going home. Back to her dad, back to her mum - but right now she was waiting for her brother. Her brother was the reason she was here, and furthermore, was the bane of her existence.

Already in a bad mood, it didn't help when some bloke nearly knocked her off her feet. "Oi!" she yelped as she regained her balance, glaring through square-ish glasses at the young man who'd shoved her. Her bright blue eyes softened, though, at the sight of him digging hurriedly through the ruins of a house. She guessed it must of been his.

He hurriedly starts curing in his native language, praying and hoping that his mother and father are not under all of this rubble. He doesn't apologize to the lady he almost knocked down - he's not sorry, she's intruding on his home. After a moment he stops, and examines the rubble. He is about ready to jump in and start searching before some American grabs his arms and tugs him away.

He yells in heavily-accented English. "Nein! Let me go - my mother is in there!!" Wilhelm struggles as he continues to curse and yell until the American drops him to the ground, a look of disgust on his face.

"No one is in there, young man. There were two corpses, though. They're at the morgue." The American says in English, his voice cold and callous a she looks at the soldier who lays sprawled on the ground.

The desperation in his icy blue eye melts away to cold fury and pain. The German's shoulders start to heave as he pushes himself up to his knees where he then starts to cry. His one good eye is squeezed shut, and his missing eye is patched over with a white - well, now more of a grey - bandage. He needs a medic - but he doubts any Allied medics will help him.

A tear leaves a single clean streak on his left cheek.

sock September 25th, 2023 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1476628)
He hurriedly starts curing in his native language, praying and hoping that his mother and father are not under all of this rubble. He doesn't apologize to the lady he almost knocked down - he's not sorry, she's intruding on his home. After a moment he stops, and examines the rubble. He is about ready to jump in and start searching before some American grabs his arms and tugs him away.

He yells in heavily-accented English. "Nein! Let me go - my mother is in there!!" Wilhelm struggles as he continues to curse and yell until the American drops him to the ground, a look of disgust on his face.

"No one is in there, young man. There were two corpses, though. They're at the morgue." The American says in English, his voice cold and callous a she looks at the soldier who lays sprawled on the ground.

The desperation in his icy blue eye melts away to cold fury and pain. The German's shoulders start to heave as he pushes himself up to his knees where he then starts to cry. His one good eye is squeezed shut, and his missing eye is patched over with a white - well, now more of a grey - bandage. He needs a medic - but he doubts any Allied medics will help him.

A tear leaves a single clean streak on his left cheek.

Caroline couldn't help but feel bad for the guy - it must be awful to lose your family like that... and not even get to say goodbye. All she'd ever lost was a pet dog (and most of the small things she owned), and even that had been nearly unbearable.

She shook her head slowly, and without consulting her brain, her gangly legs carried her over to the young man.

"Er... are you okay?"

She knew it was a bad idea as soon as the words came out of her mouth. Caroline wished she was shorter, wished she could simply hide in this moment, get away from him, but she was here, this was happening, and she couldn't stop it, so she simply screwed her eyes shut as tight as possible and hoped he hadn't heard her.

Spartan-117 September 25th, 2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1476634)
Caroline couldn't help but feel bad for the guy - it must be awful to lose your family like that... and not even get to say goodbye. All she'd ever lost was a pet dog (and most of the small things she owned), and even that had been nearly unbearable.

She shook her head slowly, and without consulting her brain, her gangly legs carried her over to the young man.

"Er... are you okay?"

She knew it was a bad idea as soon as the words came out of her mouth. Caroline wished she was shorter, wished she could simply hide in this moment, get away from him, but she was here, this was happening, and she couldn't stop it, so she simply screwed her eyes shut as tight as possible and hoped he hadn't heard her.

But he does hear her. He hears her and he acknowledges her. "Nein." He then opens his eyes and sits up slightly, looking up at her. He sees that she's the one he almost knocked down. He realizes that, in this moment, he reaches a little higher than her hips if he sits sraight. He then frowns slightly again and looks away.

"No." He whispers in accented English. "I am not... Okay... They're all.... They're all gone..."

sock September 25th, 2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1476640)
But he does hear her. He hears her and he acknowledges her. "Nein." He then opens his eyes and sits up slightly, looking up at her. He sees that she's the one he almost knocked down. He realizes that, in this moment, he reaches a little higher than her hips if he sits sraight. He then frowns slightly again and looks away.

"No." He whispers in accented English. "I am not... Okay... They're all.... They're all gone..."

Caroline frowned. "Hm... I imagine that's... not very good," she said. Talking to people wasn't one of her strong points (having strong points was not one of her strong points either). She pushed some of the strands of her blonde hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ears. "Sorry."

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1476660)
Caroline frowned. "Hm... I imagine that's... not very good," she said. Talking to people wasn't one of her strong points (having strong points was not one of her strong points either). She pushed some of the strands of her blonde hair that had escaped her ponytail behind her ears. "Sorry."

"No, it is not very good..." He murmurs before he leans back, looking up at the blonde girl. If he hadn't heard her speak, he'd think that she's a pretty German girl - but it's obvious that she's British. He stands, and towers over her.

"I am sorry. I do not know you and I... Thrust all this on you." He murmurs, bowing as he apologizes.

sock September 26th, 2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477205)
"No, it is not very good..." He murmurs before he leans back, looking up at the blonde girl. If he hadn't heard her speak, he'd think that she's a pretty German girl - but it's obvious that she's British. He stands, and towers over her.

"I am sorry. I do not know you and I... Thrust all this on you." He murmurs, bowing as he apologizes.

She shook her head. "It's fine, really," she assured him with a shrug.

(short post, sorry, I'm making my friend homework)

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477206)
She shook her head. "It's fine, really," she assured him with a shrug.

(short post, sorry, I'm making my friend homework)

Wilhelm frowns. He knows it's not okay - he was taught that showing emotions is a weakness. Well, taught by the Wehrmacht that a show of emotions are a sign of being weak. Looking at the girl, he wonders what she was taught when it comes to emotions and repercussions. He then holds a hand out to her before allowing it to fall back into place at his side. "I would shake your hand, junge Dame, but I do not think you would like my blood on your hand." He says quietly.

sock September 26th, 2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477247)
Wilhelm frowns. He knows it's not okay - he was taught that showing emotions is a weakness. Well, taught by the Wehrmacht that a show of emotions are a sign of being weak. Looking at the girl, he wonders what she was taught when it comes to emotions and repercussions. He then holds a hand out to her before allowing it to fall back into place at his side. "I would shake your hand, junge Dame, but I do not think you would like my blood on your hand." He says quietly.

Caroline laughs a little at that. "Yeah, I suppose not. I'm Caroline, by the way. It's spelled C-A-R-O-L-I-N-E, but pronounced like Carolyn for some reason. What's your name?"

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477249)
Caroline laughs a little at that. "Yeah, I suppose not. I'm Caroline, by the way. It's spelled C-A-R-O-L-I-N-E, but pronounced like Carolyn for some reason. What's your name?"

"Wilhelm Hans. W-I-L-H-E-L-M." He says, unable to hide the small smile that cracks out of his usually emotionless demeanor.

sock September 26th, 2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477255)
"Wilhelm Hans. W-I-L-H-E-L-M." He says, unable to hide the small smile that cracks out of his usually emotionless demeanor.

"That's actually an awesome name," she said with a smile. "I'm guessing you're... German?"

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477262)
"That's actually an awesome name," she said with a smile. "I'm guessing you're... German?"

"...Ja..." He admits, prepared for her to hate him. He looks at the ground before looking at her. Face rejection like a man, coward. He notices that some of the other people around them watch him with disgust - and he knows it's because he's a German soldier. They're currently everyone's enemy.

sock September 26th, 2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477268)
"...Ja..." He admits, prepared for her to hate him. He looks at the ground before looking at her. Face rejection like a man, coward. He notices that some of the other people around them watch him with disgust - and he knows it's because he's a German soldier. They're currently everyone's enemy.

Caroline was oblivious to most of the war. She had no idea what was going on, who was fighting who, who everybody hated - and her brother refused to tell her. "It must be cool having a whole other language to talk in, other than English. All I have is an accent. Apparently, my mum is American, and I was born in upper Michigan, but we moved back to Europe because of my dad."

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477273)
Caroline was oblivious to most of the war. She had no idea what was going on, who was fighting who, who everybody hated - and her brother refused to tell her. "It must be cool having a whole other language to talk in, other than English. All I have is an accent. Apparently, my mum is American, and I was born in upper Michigan, but we moved back to Europe because of my dad."

Wilhelm has been part of the war for... About a year. So had Gunther, but he had died right before they had to come home. His breathing halts for a moment before he continues to breathe as he offers another smile Caroline. "I was born and raised in Dresden - here."

sock September 26th, 2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477313)
Wilhelm has been part of the war for... About a year. So had Gunther, but he had died right before they had to come home. His breathing halts for a moment before he continues to breathe as he offers another smile Caroline. "I was born and raised in Dresden - here."

Caroline glanced around, then moved her blue gaze to the wreckage of the house. "I suppose this was your house?" she asked.

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477328)
Caroline glanced around, then moved her blue gaze to the wreckage of the house. "I suppose this was your house?" she asked.

"My mother's." He whispers, looking at the rubble. It can no longer be classified as a house - or even the remnants of one.

sock September 26th, 2023 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477341)
"My mother's." He whispers, looking at the rubble. It can no longer be classified as a house - or even the remnants of one.

She nodded slowly, solemnly. "It looks pretty bad," she said with a frown.

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477344)
She nodded slowly, solemnly. "It looks pretty bad," she said with a frown.

"It is... They said that they f-found two corpses..." He murmurs in broken English before he looks at her for a moment. He does not want to talk for a moment, so he motions her to talk.

sock September 26th, 2023 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477349)
"It is... They said that they f-found two corpses..." He murmurs in broken English before he looks at her for a moment. He does not want to talk for a moment, so he motions her to talk.

Well, she didn't know how to respond to that, but talking was definitely something she could do. "Oh, well... When I was little, my dog Max died. I was just in second grade, so it was awful when I heard... and my dad did everything he could to cheer me up. He bought me a little goldfish... which I immediately flushed down the toilet. I remember being really mad at dad for trying to replace Max, so I didn't talk to him for a long time... but it's hard to stay mad at him." Caroline smiled, and took off her glasses. She wiped them on her shirt, then put them back on.

"I think I really hurt his feelings, back then. Mum told me about how every night he'd go on and on about his plans to make me happy; and she told me how she barely got any sleep on those nights, because dad can go on for... a long time."

Spartan-117 September 26th, 2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477351)
Well, she didn't know how to respond to that, but talking was definitely something she could do. "Oh, well... When I was little, my dog Max died. I was just in second grade, so it was awful when I heard... and my dad did everything he could to cheer me up. He bought me a little goldfish... which I immediately flushed down the toilet. I remember being really mad at dad for trying to replace Max, so I didn't talk to him for a long time... but it's hard to stay mad at him." Caroline smiled, and took off her glasses. She wiped them on her shirt, then put them back on.

"I think I really hurt his feelings, back then. Mum told me about how every night he'd go on and on about his plans to make me happy; and she told me how she barely got any sleep on those nights, because dad can go on for... a long time."

He nods his head, trying not to smile. His parents didn't allow pets, but he had always wanted a dog - until the other Germans started to blow up tanks with German Shepards. He frowns at the thoughts of the dogs when they died. He then smiles at Caroline again. "We were never allowed to have pets."

sock September 26th, 2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477359)
He nods his head, trying not to smile. His parents didn't allow pets, but he had always wanted a dog - until the other Germans started to blow up tanks with German Shepards. He frowns at the thoughts of the dogs when they died. He then smiles at Caroline again. "We were never allowed to have pets."

"That sounds like hell," she said, shaking her head. "Max was my best friend. I can't remember any part of my childhood where he wasn't there."

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1477360)
"That sounds like hell," she said, shaking her head. "Max was my best friend. I can't remember any part of my childhood where he wasn't there."

"Well... you can't miss something you've never had." He admits quietly before jumping at the sound of sirens. His arms come up as if he's holding a rifle but he allows his hands to fall back to his side slowly, and most people around him start to laugh. He flushes with anger and his hands clench into fists at his side.

"I am sorry for my... reaction. Sometimes I think I am still on the field because of the noises. Explosions, sirens, gunfire - they all set me... off."

sock September 27th, 2023 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1477893)
"Well... you can't miss something you've never had." He admits quietly before jumping at the sound of sirens. His arms come up as if he's holding a rifle but he allows his hands to fall back to his side slowly, and most people around him start to laugh. He flushes with anger and his hands clench into fists at his side.

"I am sorry for my... reaction. Sometimes I think I am still on the field because of the noises. Explosions, sirens, gunfire - they all set me... off."

She jumps a bit as Wilhelm reacts to the siren, but when he apologizes, she shakes her head. "You shouldn't apologize for that," Caroline said, frowning. "I completely understand. And all these people should, too, but obviously they're not mature enough for that," she added the last part in a bit of a louder tone, glaring at the bystanders who laughed.

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478045)
She jumps a bit as Wilhelm reacts to the siren, but when he apologizes, she shakes her head. "You shouldn't apologize for that," Caroline said, frowning. "I completely understand. And all these people should, too, but obviously they're not mature enough for that," she added the last part in a bit of a louder tone, glaring at the bystanders who laughed.

He looks at the ground and shrugs. "I'd explain it, but... I am unsure if you want me to."

sometimes it's all too much he was planning on telling his mother. he knew of a soldier who went home and hung himself when he found his wife with his brother.

At the thought of brother, his heart clenches and he closes his eyes again. Wilhelm then opens his eyes and looks at Caroline.

sock September 27th, 2023 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478062)
He looks at the ground and shrugs. "I'd explain it, but... I am unsure if you want me to."

sometimes it's all too much he was planning on telling his mother. he knew of a soldier who went home and hung himself when he found his wife with his brother.

At the thought of brother, his heart clenches and he closes his eyes again. Wilhelm then opens his eyes and looks at Caroline.

Caroline shrugs. "If you talk, I'll listen."

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478063)
Caroline shrugs. "If you talk, I'll listen."

he hadn't planned on such a reaction.

"Sometimes it is... Too much. I seen things I never wanted to see, do things I never thought about doing. Sometimes I regret it, other times I tell myself I only did it to stay alive. It was... A lot. Blood, death, killing... But I lived. Somehow. He was better with a gun - more brave and physical. He was better than I was in every single way. But... I was the one who came home. I was the one who returned here to Dresden - he would have handled this better. He would have made them all smile and laugh and love him, like he did with almost everything else.

Instead, I am stuck here. Everyone's enemy. The last person people want to see.

I didn't want to do it - I would have been killed if I didn't. I think it would have been better if I allowed them to kill me. I would not have all this blood on my hands, I would not have these thoughts in my head. I think it would have been better - but he wouldn't. He'd have wanted me to continue fighting. He'd tell me not to be weak, to ignore them because they don't know.

But I can't. It's all too much. I can still hear them screaming, feel them in my arms as they die... I don't think I can ever-"

Then he stops and closes his eyes, his breathing heavy.

"I don't think I can ever... Be normal. Not after going through all of... that."

sock September 27th, 2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478067)
he hadn't planned on such a reaction.

"Sometimes it is... Too much. I seen things I never wanted to see, do things I never thought about doing. Sometimes I regret it, other times I tell myself I only did it to stay alive. It was... A lot. Blood, death, killing... But I lived. Somehow. He was better with a gun - more brave and physical. He was better than I was in every single way. But... I was the one who came home. I was the one who returned here to Dresden - he would have handled this better. He would have made them all smile and laugh and love him, like he did with almost everything else.

Instead, I am stuck here. Everyone's enemy. The last person people want to see.

I didn't want to do it - I would have been killed if I didn't. I think it would have been better if I allowed them to kill me. I would not have all this blood on my hands, I would not have these thoughts in my head. I think it would have been better - but he wouldn't. He'd have wanted me to continue fighting. He'd tell me not to be weak, to ignore them because they don't know.

But I can't. It's all too much. I can still hear them screaming, feel them in my arms as they die... I don't think I can ever-"

Then he stops and closes his eyes, his breathing heavy.

"I don't think I can ever... Be normal. Not after going through all of... that."

As soon as Wilhelm finished, Caroline stepped forward, tears in her eyes, and without thinking, hugged him. It was tight, but not too tight - just the right amount of reassurance, empathy, and a distinct sensation that she actually cared. And she did. A lot.

"That sounds awful," she whispered.

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478075)
As soon as Wilhelm finished, Caroline stepped forward, tears in her eyes, and without thinking, hugged him. It was tight, but not too tight - just the right amount of reassurance, empathy, and a distinct sensation that she actually cared. And she did. A lot.

"That sounds awful," she whispered.

Confusion flickers in his eyes before he allows himself to wrap his arms around her. Hugging was never something he was used to while growing up. "Oh Gott, warum ich?" He whispers in German, laying his head on top of her head.

"Ja, it is... Sometimes something make me feel as it I am still there..."

sock September 27th, 2023 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478077)
Confusion flickers in his eyes before he allows himself to wrap his arms around her. Hugging was never something he was used to while growing up. "Oh Gott, warum ich?" He whispers in German, laying his head on top of her head.

"Ja, it is... Sometimes something make me feel as it I am still there..."

She nods. "I hope it gets better for you... I've never had an experience like that..." Caroline gently pulls herself out of the hug, lifting her glasses to wipe her eyes. "Oh, God, sorry, I'm crying on you-"

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478079)
She nods. "I hope it gets better for you... I've never had an experience like that..." Caroline gently pulls herself out of the hug, lifting her glasses to wipe her eyes. "Oh, God, sorry, I'm crying on you-"

"I hope you don't ever have to go through that. Because if you do..." He shakes his head and looks away. Then he smiles slightly when she says something about crying on his uniform.

"Ah, don't worry about it. It's... Been though worse.

"This is a new one, though. So-"
he holds his hands out awkwardly, as if she'll walk into his arms. "Shy... all you what."

He then turns red when he realizes that he pronounced cry and want wrong.

"I-I mean... C-cry all you w-want..."

sock September 27th, 2023 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478085)
"I hope you don't ever have to go through that. Because if you do..." He shakes his head and looks away. Then he smiles slightly when she says something about crying on his uniform.

"Ah, don't worry about it. It's... Been though worse.

"This is a new one, though. So-"
he holds his hands out awkwardly, as if she'll walk into his arms. "Shy... all you what."

He then turns red when he realizes that he pronounced cry and want wrong.

"I-I mean... C-cry all you w-want..."

She let out a scratchy giggle, looking down. Slowly, she came back forward, headbutting his chest lightly and grinning at the ground. "Then cry I shall," she joked.

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478091)
She let out a scratchy giggle, looking down. Slowly, she came back forward, headbutting his chest lightly and grinning at the ground. "Then cry I shall," she joked.

He flushes and looks away. Some of the other soldiers and civilians are glaring at him, waiting for him to do something wrong - to hurt her. At the thought of hurting her, his heart clenches and he lets out a breath. He then watches it curl up in the air, and he blinks in confusion.

i am not going to hurt her. not now, not ever.

sock September 27th, 2023 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478093)
He flushes and looks away. Some of the other soldiers and civilians are glaring at him, waiting for him to do something wrong - to hurt her. At the thought of hurting her, his heart clenches and he lets out a breath. He then watches it curl up in the air, and he blinks in confusion.

i am not going to hurt her. not now, not ever.

(AAAA they're so cute)

Caroline looks up, seeing his face. She frowns, glancing at the surrounding people. Oi, she wants to snap, What are you looking at? But she doesn't. She shakes her head, returning the bystanders' glares, as if to challenge them - no, to dare them - to do anything to make Wilhelm upset.

Spartan-117 September 27th, 2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478118)
(AAAA they're so cute)

Caroline looks up, seeing his face. She frowns, glancing at the surrounding people. Oi, she wants to snap, What are you looking at? But she doesn't. She shakes her head, returning the bystanders' glares, as if to challenge them - no, to dare them - to do anything to make Wilhelm upset.

(ohmygod they are-))

Wilhelm's hands are clenched into fists. Then he sees his 'award' on the ground. He hesitates before reaching down and grabbing it. He then straightens and polishes it, almost lovingly. He then pulls the case out of his pocket, places it there, and holds it out for Caroline.

"I..." He hesitates. "I want you to have this, meine liebe."

He prays that she does not know that German phrase.

sock September 27th, 2023 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478130)
(ohmygod they are-))

Wilhelm's hands are clenched into fists. Then he sees his 'award' on the ground. He hesitates before reaching down and grabbing it. He then straightens and polishes it, almost lovingly. He then pulls the case out of his pocket, places it there, and holds it out for Caroline.

"I..." He hesitates. "I want you to have this, meine liebe."

He prays that she does not know that German phrase.

Caroline stares at the award, surprised that he would give her something like this. "Oh, wow... Really?" she says, taking it gingerly from his hands.

Spartan-117 September 28th, 2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478174)
Caroline stares at the award, surprised that he would give her something like this. "Oh, wow... Really?" she says, taking it gingerly from his hands.

He nods his head before pointing to the side of his head where the bandage is. "Yeah. It's a Verwundetenabzeichen - wound badge." He says quietly before pointing to another in the little case. "That one is for Valor. I threw an M24 hand grenade after an American threw it at us. It blew up midair..."

sock September 28th, 2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478456)
He nods his head before pointing to the side of his head where the bandage is. "Yeah. It's a Verwundetenabzeichen - wound badge." He says quietly before pointing to another in the little case. "That one is for Valor. I threw an M24 hand grenade after an American threw it at us. It blew up midair..."

Caroline nodded, biting her lip as she listened to Wilhelm. "Oh... wow," was all she could manage.

Spartan-117 September 28th, 2023 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spookysock (Post 1478459)
Caroline nodded, biting her lip as she listened to Wilhelm. "Oh... wow," was all she could manage.

He hesitates before smiling sadly at her. "i hate it when they all look at me like that... Like they hate me. but i only did what i was supposed to do - i didn't want to. i did it to stay alive..." he whispers

sock September 28th, 2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldier (Post 1478473)
He hesitates before smiling sadly at her. "i hate it when they all look at me like that... Like they hate me. but i only did what i was supposed to do - i didn't want to. i did it to stay alive..." he whispers

She shook her head. "They just don't understand. I do. It's not healthy to let what other people think make you feel bad."