Warrior Cats Online

Warrior Cats Online (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outskirts (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Silence's hollow (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13667)

Raindancer January 7th, 2018 09:03 AM

Silence's hollow

Tucked away in a secluded corner of the forest is a peaceful hollow. In a small clearing, a twisted tree grows, and under its roots the den of a little black cat.

(If you'd like to join this rp please check in the plot resources tab!)

~~

Silence emerged from the forest carrying a mouse in her jaws. She padded to her tree and began to climb, stopping once she reached the lowermost branch. Carefully balancing her meal beside her, she stretched then settled down, enjoying the weak warmth of the leaf-bare sun.

Thistledawn January 7th, 2018 05:36 PM

Re: Silence's hollow

Hoot felt like his paws were going to fall off. It had been days since he'd left his clearing due to the stranger passing through. The encounter had thrown Hoot off and caused him to lose every bit of motivation he possibly could have had. During the days he didn't leave his clearing, Hoot spent his time curled in his nest, gazing towards the sky. Every once in awhile a bird would fly overhead. The Abyssinian tom had even spotted a new bird he'd never seen before. It was blue and black and it seemed to have one of the happiest chirps Hoot had ever heard. He wished he could be a bird. He wished he could fly away from his problems. If Hoot had wings, the first thing he'd do would be find the most remote place and make his home there. There would be no Twolegs, no dogs, and no cats. This place would belong to Hoot and Hoot alone.

Shaking his head, Hoot forced himself out of his daydream. It was unrealistic, after all. A perfect place like that didn't exist. And even if it did, Hoot wouldn't be able to find it. Besides, he thought. I have the birdbath. He thought this as if it were an amazing luxury that was sought after by every cat. The birdbath was all the young tom had, so he learned to appreciate it, even if it wasn't as great as he made it out to be.

Caught up in his thoughts, Hoot continued to pad forward without direction, eventually making his way towards a hollow that he'd never seen before. The green-eyed tom cast a glance over his shoulder and realized that he hardly recognized where he was. This was the furthest he'd ever been away from his clearing. Excited to be in an area he'd never been in before, Hoot began to sniff around the hollow. It wasn't long before Hoot picked up the scent of another cat, fresh and strong. Hoot froze, paralyzed with fear. He cursed under his breath. How unlucky he was to stumble upon another cat's territory so easily. Slightly panicked, Hoot's eyes began to dart across the clearing until they finally spotted the cat.

"I'm sorry," He rushed to spit out. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I'll be on my way now." Hoot watched the cat for a few heartbeats before he turned to leave. The Abyssinian had only made it a few pawsteps before he realized he didn't know where he was. He didn't even know which direction to go in. Hoot felt his brown tail begin to fall in between his legs. He slowly turned back to face the cat, being careful to avoid too much eye contact. "I wouldn't suppose you know how to get to the Twolegplace?" He asked quietly. Hoot's territory wasn't all to close to the Twolegplace, but if he could at least get there, he'd know how to get himself home.

[ @Raindancer sorry for the length; I tend to go overboard with starter posts xp ]

Raindancer January 7th, 2018 06:02 PM

Silence had just finished her meal when the stranger entered her clearing. A new guest. She thought, watching the cat with interest. The cat began to explore a little, creeping in just slightly before picking up her scent. It froze, searching her hollow almost frantically until it's eyes fell on her. When it apologized, her ears twitched A tom. I haven't had a tom guest for a long time.

She watched, almost with regret, as he turned to leave. But he seemed to remember something, and came back towards her tree, lowering his tail and stammering out his question. Silence cocked her head, blinking at him a few times before smiling gently. Her eyes crinkled, a sign she was laughing, in her own way. Climbing down the tree, she stopped in front of him, her head barely making it up to his chin while she stood.

In response to his question, she shook her head, dipping it in apology. I'm sorry, I don't know the way back to the twoleg place. She touched one of his front paws with hers, gently, then motioned with a flick of her head towards the roots of the tree. But you are welcome to stay here, if you'd like. Silence wondered what this young tom's reaction would be to her odd style of communication.

{@Thistledawn it's totally fine!! I love your descriptions}

Thistledawn January 7th, 2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 451633)
Silence had just finished her meal when the stranger entered her clearing. A new guest. She thought, watching the cat with interest. The cat began to explore a little, creeping in just slightly before picking up her scent. It froze, searching her hollow almost frantically until it's eyes fell on her. When it apologized, her ears twitched A tom. I haven't had a tom guest for a long time.

She watched, almost with regret, as he turned to leave. But he seemed to remember something, and came back towards her tree, lowering his tail and stammering out his question. Silence cocked her head, blinking at him a few times before smiling gently. Her eyes crinkled, a sign she was laughing, in her own way. Climbing down the tree, she stopped in front of him, her head barely making it up to his chin while she stood.

In response to his question, she shook her head, dipping it in apology. I'm sorry, I don't know the way back to the twoleg place. She touched one of his front paws with hers, gently, then motioned with a flick of her head towards the roots of the tree. But you are welcome to stay here, if you'd like. Silence wondered what this young tom's reaction would be to her odd style of communication.

{@Thistledawn it's totally fine!! I love your descriptions}

Hoot's eyes widened as he realized the smaller cat had smiled at him. What a strange cat this she-cat was. He wondered why she hadn't been hissing at him or chasing him away just yet. When the she-cat jumped down from the tree, he realized just how small she actually was. This might have been the she-cat's reason for her lack of aggression towards Hoot. Unlike the she-cat he had met the other day, Hoot might have been able to win in a fight against the she-cat with his size alone. That said, the Abyssinian knew nothing about this cat and her past. For all he knew, she might have been the greatest fighter in the forest despite her size.

The young tom's head cocked to the side slightly when the she-cat dipped her head in apology. He had almost been sure that this cat was feigning innocence until now. She'd been silent so far, not speaking a word. Instead, it seemed that she was communicating through body language. When she reached out her paws to touch his, Hoot flinched away for a heartbeat. What cat would attack another cat's paws like that? But the tan colored realized that he couldn't see her claws, meaning she hadn't extended them with the intent of causing harm. The tom let the other cat touch her paw to his, watching her motion in the direction of the tree. Hoot's green eyes gazed past the she-cat and towards the tree. It seemed that this was her home, and she was. . . Welcoming him inside? Skeptical of her generosity and overly kind behavior, Hoot thought through his options. His paws hurt from walking all day. He didn't know his way back home, and it seemed that neither of the two cats knew how to get to the Twolegplace. The she-cat was welcoming Hoot into her home, but it seemed like a likely set up. As soon as Hoot let himself be welcomed, she'd probably attack.

Hoot backed away a few paces. "Who are you?" His eyes ran up and down the she-cat's body, as if that would give him any insight to whatever she might be hiding.

Raindancer January 7th, 2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 451683)
Hoot's eyes widened as he realized the smaller cat had smiled at him. What a strange cat this she-cat was. He wondered why she hadn't been hissing at him or chasing him away just yet. When the she-cat jumped down from the tree, he realized just how small she actually was. This might have been the she-cat's reason for her lack of aggression towards Hoot. Unlike the she-cat he had met the other day, Hoot might have been able to win in a fight against the she-cat with his size alone. That said, the Abyssinian knew nothing about this cat and her past. For all he knew, she might have been the greatest fighter in the forest despite her size.

The young tom's head cocked to the side slightly when the she-cat dipped her head in apology. He had almost been sure that this cat was feigning innocence until now. She'd been silent so far, not speaking a word. Instead, it seemed that she was communicating through body language. When she reached out her paws to touch his, Hoot flinched away for a heartbeat. What cat would attack another cat's paws like that? But the tan colored realized that he couldn't see her claws, meaning she hadn't extended them with the intent of causing harm. The tom let the other cat touch her paw to his, watching her motion in the direction of the tree. Hoot's green eyes gazed past the she-cat and towards the tree. It seemed that this was her home, and she was. . . Welcoming him inside? Skeptical of her generosity and overly kind behavior, Hoot thought through his options. His paws hurt from walking all day. He didn't know his way back home, and it seemed that neither of the two cats knew how to get to the Twolegplace. The she-cat was welcoming Hoot into her home, but it seemed like a likely set up. As soon as Hoot let himself be welcomed, she'd probably attack.

Hoot backed away a few paces. "Who are you?" His eyes ran up and down the she-cat's body, as if that would give him any insight to whatever she might be hiding.

Silence sat down after reading his lips as he became defensive, curling her tail neatly over her small paws and blinking at him slowly. She let him examine her, used to wary stares. She did her best to show him she was not a threat. So began the charades. Silence had become quite the actress, until guests got used to her normal body language, she had to communicate with dramatic gestures.

She flicked her tail up to her chest, before letting it settle again. I am Silence. She then reached up and put her paws over her flattened ears. I am deaf. She pointed her tail at him, then tucked her front paws under her chest and closed her eyes. You can rest easy here. After she sat back up Silence asked a question of her own. Pointing her tail at him again, she tilted her head to the side, a curious light in her deep orange eyes.

Who are you?

Thistledawn January 7th, 2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 451704)
Silence sat down after reading his lips as he became defensive, curling her tail neatly over her small paws and blinking at him slowly. She let him examine her, used to wary stares. She did her best to show him she was not a threat. So began the charades. Silence had become quite the actress, until guests got used to her normal body language, she had to communicate with dramatic gestures.

She flicked her tail up to her chest, before letting it settle again. I am Silence. She then reached up and put her paws over her flattened ears. I am deaf. She pointed her tail at him, then tucked her front paws under her chest and closed her eyes. You can rest easy here. After she sat back up Silence asked a question of her own. Pointing her tail at him again, she tilted her head to the side, a curious light in her deep orange eyes.

Who are you?

Letting himself relax a little bit, Hoot sat and curled his brown tail around his paws. His squinted his eyes at the she-cat and wrinkled his nose. The tom was struggling to understand what the cat was trying to get across. Why didn't she just talk like a normal cat? Hoot felt weirded out. He wanted to go home and back to the birdbath where no weird, silent she-cat where hanging about. But despite his frustration, curiosity streamed through the young cat's veins. Sure, all of this not speaking business was irritating and strange, but it did offer some kind of an adventure and Hoot loved adventures.

"You're. . ." Hoot trailed off, trying to find whatever word the she-cat was trying to communicate. "Chest? Uh, Black? Molly, perhaps?" The tom began to name off different words and names, trying to figure out which was right. But even as he said them, none of them sounded right to him. None of the names that Hoot came up with sounded mysterious enough to belong to the she-cat. He thought deeper and harder. "Shy? Quiet? Silent?" Something about that last one felt right. "Silent." He stated it this time, more for himself than anything else. It was close, Hoot knew that much. Silent, he thought to himself. That's a weird name. Silence would sound much better.

The Abyssinian perked up suddenly, a smile- a rare occurrence for Hoot in the presence of another cat- stretched across his maw. "Silence? Is that your name? That's pretty fitting for you." A hint of amusement was buried in the young tom's voice. "And there's something wrong with your ears?" Hoot breathed. "You can't. . . hear?" The tom's head retreated with surprise. He'd heard of a- he searched for the word- a deaf cat before. That cat was a kittypet and lived with Twolegs because it couldn't care for itself. Hoot never expected to meet a deaf cat himself. He wondered how she had survived up until now. And he wondered how she was understanding what he'd been saying this entire time.

"I can sleep here." Hoot translated, feeling proud that he was able to finally figure out something easily. Suddenly, the she-cat began to reflect his own curiosity. He raised his tail to his own chest, as she had done before, as if to ask, who am I? "Hoot." He said, unsure if she'd understand or not. He tried to think of a way to explain it through his body, but came up with nothing. "Hoot." He repeated, just to be sure.

Raindancer January 7th, 2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 451726)
Letting himself relax a little bit, Hoot sat and curled his brown tail around his paws. His squinted his eyes at the she-cat and wrinkled his nose. The tom was struggling to understand what the cat was trying to get across. Why didn't she just talk like a normal cat? Hoot felt weirded out. He wanted to go home and back to the birdbath where no weird, silent she-cat where hanging about. But despite his frustration, curiosity streamed through the young cat's veins. Sure, all of this not speaking business was irritating and strange, but it did offer some kind of an adventure and Hoot loved adventures.

"You're. . ." Hoot trailed off, trying to find whatever word the she-cat was trying to communicate. "Chest? Uh, Black? Molly, perhaps?" The tom began to name off different words and names, trying to figure out which was right. But even as he said them, none of them sounded right to him. None of the names that Hoot came up with sounded mysterious enough to belong to the she-cat. He thought deeper and harder. "Shy? Quiet? Silent?" Something about that last one felt right. "Silent." He stated it this time, more for himself than anything else. It was close, Hoot knew that much. Silent, he thought to himself. That's a weird name. Silence would sound much better.

The Abyssinian perked up suddenly, a smile- a rare occurrence for Hoot in the presence of another cat- stretched across his maw. "Silence? Is that your name? That's pretty fitting for you." A hint of amusement was buried in the young tom's voice. "And there's something wrong with your ears?" Hoot breathed. "You can't. . . hear?" The tom's head retreated with surprise. He'd heard of a- he searched for the word- a deaf cat before. That cat was a kittypet and lived with Twolegs because it couldn't care for itself. Hoot never expected to meet a deaf cat himself. He wondered how she had survived up until now. And he wondered how she was understanding what he'd been saying this entire time.

"I can sleep here." Hoot translated, feeling proud that he was able to finally figure out something easily. Suddenly, the she-cat began to reflect his own curiosity. He raised his tail to his own chest, as she had done before, as if to ask, who am I? "Hoot." He said, unsure if she'd understand or not. He tried to think of a way to explain it through his body, but came up with nothing. "Hoot." He repeated, just to be sure.

Silence smiled, nodding each time he guessed right. Her eyes crinkled again as she laughed--he was good at this! Few of her guests could pick up on her meanings so quickly. Maybe the charades would give way to real communication faster, too.

He was shocked that she couldn't hear, but he accepted it better than some. He didn't become snide or dismissive. Just more curious. Her new guest was an intriguing one. He said his name a few times, and she could see he wasn't sure she understood him.

How can I show... She perked, getting an idea. Standing slowly, she took cautious steps closer, showing she meant no harm. Once they were a few pawsteps apart she gently flicked her tail, grazing his lips, then flicked to back to her eyes. I understand you. I can see your words. Being as cautious as he was, she then retreated a few paces, sitting back down. I'm sorry if I startled you. She dipped her head in apology. A soft smile graced her face. I'm glad you're here.

Silence thought again, for a moment, and gestured to the tree. She lifted a paw and slid out her claws, shaking her head 'no' as she did so. It is safe here, I assure you. The little she-cat retract her claws quickly after. Silence hoped she hadn't scared him off--it had been a few moons since her last guest, and he was a cautious one.

(Sorry about taking so long! Had to help clean up from dinner.)

Thistledawn January 8th, 2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 451760)
Silence smiled, nodding each time he guessed right. Her eyes crinkled again as she laughed--he was good at this! Few of her guests could pick up on her meanings so quickly. Maybe the charades would give way to real communication faster, too.

He was shocked that she couldn't hear, but he accepted it better than some. He didn't become snide or dismissive. Just more curious. Her new guest was an intriguing one. He said his name a few times, and she could see he wasn't sure she understood him.

How can I show... She perked, getting an idea. Standing slowly, she took cautious steps closer, showing she meant no harm. Once they were a few pawsteps apart she gently flicked her tail, grazing his lips, then flicked to back to her eyes. I understand you. I can see your words. Being as cautious as he was, she then retreated a few paces, sitting back down. I'm sorry if I startled you. She dipped her head in apology. A soft smile graced her face. I'm glad you're here.

Silence thought again, for a moment, and gestured to the tree. She lifted a paw and slid out her claws, shaking her head 'no' as she did so. It is safe here, I assure you. The little she-cat retract her claws quickly after. Silence hoped she hadn't scared him off--it had been a few moons since her last guest, and he was a cautious one.

(Sorry about taking so long! Had to help clean up from dinner.)

Hoot stayed still as Silence approached and touched his lips with her tail. His eyes widened with surprise when he finally understood what she was trying to say. "You can see what I'm saying!" He exclaimed, hardly believing it. It had made sense to him now. If the she-cat watched the way Hoot's mouth moved, surely she'd be able to figure out what he was saying. He was impressed to say the least. Intrigued too. Hoot understood nearly instantly when he saw Silence expose a claw and shake her head no. It was obvious that she meant no harm. And the tree did look tempting. Hoot's tan paws were screaming for him to put his weight elsewhere.

The Abyssinian stood up and brushed past Silence, carefully, as if she'd break if he managed to push one hair out of place. Hoot was sure she'd needed extra care due to her deafness. He craned his head upwards and followed the trunk of the tree with his green eyes. It seemed to call to him, asking him to climb up its branches, leaving the ground below him. So Hoot did so, completely forgetting about the other cat for a few heartbeats. The young tom stopped just above where Silence was when he first showed up. He could feel the cooler air his his pelt here. A small breeze pushed his fur the wrong way, sending a small shiver down his spine. He scanned the other branches of the tree with analytic eyes.

"This is a nice place you've got here. I can't imagine how you're all alone here." Hoot mewed to Silence, absentmindedly flicking his tail against a twig hanging off of a bigger branch.

[ You're fine! I'm usually bad at quick replies anyways, so I don't expect fast responses from other people xp ]

Raindancer January 8th, 2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 452238)
Hoot stayed still as Silence approached and touched his lips with her tail. His eyes widened with surprise when he finally understood what she was trying to say. "You can see what I'm saying!" He exclaimed, hardly believing it. It had made sense to him now. If the she-cat watched the way Hoot's mouth moved, surely she'd be able to figure out what he was saying. He was impressed to say the least. Intrigued too. Hoot understood nearly instantly when he saw Silence expose a claw and shake her head no. It was obvious that she meant no harm. And the tree did look tempting. Hoot's tan paws were screaming for him to put his weight elsewhere.

The Abyssinian stood up and brushed past Silence, carefully, as if she'd break if he managed to push one hair out of place. Hoot was sure she'd needed extra care due to her deafness. He craned his head upwards and followed the trunk of the tree with his green eyes. It seemed to call to him, asking him to climb up its branches, leaving the ground below him. So Hoot did so, completely forgetting about the other cat for a few heartbeats. The young tom stopped just above where Silence was when he first showed up. He could feel the cooler air his his pelt here. A small breeze pushed his fur the wrong way, sending a small shiver down his spine. He scanned the other branches of the tree with analytic eyes.

"This is a nice place you've got here. I can't imagine how you're all alone here." Hoot mewed to Silence, absentmindedly flicking his tail against a twig hanging off of a bigger branch.

[ You're fine! I'm usually bad at quick replies anyways, so I don't expect fast responses from other people xp ]

Silence smiled as Hoot finally relaxed. She watched him climb, then padded to the tree's roots, squinting her eyes as she looked up at him to catch his words.

The little she-cat shrugged. It's not that surprising. She shook her head, pressing a paw to her lips. I can't speak. Then shook her head once more and flattened her ears against her head. I can't hear. She walked in a small circle before sitting down once more, making the motion of looking about. Some said it was like living alone. Silence brushed her paw against the sandy dirt, and the wind swept up a small cloud before whisking it away. Some had other places to be. Nobody stays for long.

Darker memories began to work their way to the surface, and a cloud cross her face briefly as she fought them back. Though I am this far away from everyone else for a reason. Silence shook her head, looking up at him again. She tilted her head, then opened and closed her maw a few times. But anyway, are you hungry?

{Okay! X3}

Thistledawn January 8th, 2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 452247)
Silence smiled as Hoot finally relaxed. She watched him climb, then padded to the tree's roots, squinting her eyes as she looked up at him to catch his words.

The little she-cat shrugged. It's not that surprising. She shook her head, pressing a paw to her lips. I can't speak. Then shook her head once more and flattened her ears against her head. I can't hear. She walked in a small circle before sitting down once more, making the motion of looking about. Some said it was like living alone. Silence brushed her paw against the sandy dirt, and the wind swept up a small cloud before whisking it away. Some had other places to be. Nobody stays for long.

Darker memories began to work their way to the surface, and a cloud cross her face briefly as she fought them back. Though I am this far away from everyone else for a reason. Silence shook her head, looking up at him again. She tilted her head, then opened and closed her maw a few times. But anyway, are you hungry?

{Okay! X3}

Realizing being so far above Silence was making it hard for her to understand him, Hoot jumped down from the tree, neatly landing on his paws. His curiosity returned as the she-cat continued. "Haven't you tried to speak?" Hoot asked, tilting his head to the side, examining Silence's ears. "I mean- your ears appear to be fine. Maybe your voice will be fine." There wasn't a direct connection between hearing and speaking, not that Hoot knew of. It seemed silly to him that Silence communicated through motion rather than using words if she may have had the ability.

Unable to focus on the she-cat alone, Hoot began to look around the clearing once more, careful to make sure Silence could see his mouth whenever he spoke. "I like to live alone." Hoot told the she-cat. He searched her eyes, unsure. "It's the best way to live. There's a lot of awful cats out there." His mew was serious. How dumb could she be, inviting cats to stay with her? "They'll take what you have and claw you in the back. Living alone is the only way to protect yourself." Suddenly aware of how open he was being, Hoot avoided Silence's eyes. He'd gotten too comfortable too fast. He still knew nothing about her. He almost asked what she meant when she said there was a reason for her being so far away from everyone, but he held his tongue. It looked like Silence may not have wanted to talk about it anyways.

"No, I'm not hungry." He said, thankful that Silence was deaf instead of blind. His belly let out a low grumble as he spoke. He was hungry, but not hungry enough to eat someone else's fresh-kill. "Are you? I could catch something for you."

Raindancer January 8th, 2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 452333)
Realizing being so far above Silence was making it hard for her to understand him, Hoot jumped down from the tree, neatly landing on his paws. His curiosity returned as the she-cat continued. "Haven't you tried to speak?" Hoot asked, tilting his head to the side, examining Silence's ears. "I mean- your ears appear to be fine. Maybe your voice will be fine." There wasn't a direct connection between hearing and speaking, not that Hoot knew of. It seemed silly to him that Silence communicated through motion rather than using words if she may have had the ability.

Unable to focus on the she-cat alone, Hoot began to look around the clearing once more, careful to make sure Silence could see his mouth whenever he spoke. "I like to live alone." Hoot told the she-cat. He searched her eyes, unsure. "It's the best way to live. There's a lot of awful cats out there." His mew was serious. How dumb could she be, inviting cats to stay with her? "They'll take what you have and claw you in the back. Living alone is the only way to protect yourself." Suddenly aware of how open he was being, Hoot avoided Silence's eyes. He'd gotten too comfortable too fast. He still knew nothing about her. He almost asked what she meant when she said there was a reason for her being so far away from everyone, but he held his tongue. It looked like Silence may not have wanted to talk about it anyways.

"No, I'm not hungry." He said, thankful that Silence was deaf instead of blind. His belly let out a low grumble as he spoke. He was hungry, but not hungry enough to eat someone else's fresh-kill. "Are you? I could catch something for you."

She watched him steadily, seeing his questions and mulling them over. She cleared her throat, and spoke. She spoke haltingly, her voice shook, and it came out as a raspy whisper--as though she was speaking through gravel.
"S-speaking is...not easy." Silence swallowed thickly, taking a breath before she spoke again. "Only f-for...emergencies." Her voice was so rarely used, that when she spoke every word to hurt like a claw dragging up her throat.

She smiled as Hoot seemed to open up, but closed again just as quickly, like a shrinking flower.

Silence's eyes were clear and bittersweet. She nodded with his words. Yes.
Living alone means no one can hurt you.
She tilted her head to the side. But, that leaves a place very cold and kind of..empty. The little cat shrugged. I know everycat who comes must go. Often they do hurt me, whether they mean to or not, but I am always happy they came. If nothing else I learn something. Silence was communicating mostly with her eyes and expressions, now, not sure if the tom could--or cared--to understand her. Then, she smiled softly, blinking at him with warmth in her orange eyes. I'm still glad you're here. Her eyes crinkled Even if you are more hesitant than most.

He asked if she was hungry, and she shook her head. Silence then extended her claws and began to clumsily draw in the dirt. From a very faded memory, she drew a rough twoleg nest. She then rubbed her paw along her throat, trying to mime a collar. She pointed to the drawing. There is a kittypet who wanders in about once a moon, you can go back with her when she comes.
She stood, motioning to the back of the tree with her head. Theres moss back there, we can build you a fresh nest, if you'd like to stay.

Thistledawn January 8th, 2018 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 452357)
She watched him steadily, seeing his questions and mulling them over. She cleared her throat, and spoke. She spoke haltingly, her voice shook, and it came out as a raspy whisper--as though she was speaking through gravel.
"S-speaking is...not easy." Silence swallowed thickly, taking a breath before she spoke again. "Only f-for...emergencies." Her voice was so rarely used, that when she spoke every word to hurt like a claw dragging up her throat.

She smiled as Hoot seemed to open up, but closed again just as quickly, like a shrinking flower.

Silence's eyes were clear and bittersweet. She nodded with his words. Yes.
Living alone means no one can hurt you.
She tilted her head to the side. But, that leaves a place very cold and kind of..empty. The little cat shrugged. I know everycat who comes must go. Often they do hurt me, whether they mean to or not, but I am always happy they came. If nothing else I learn something. Silence was communicating mostly with her eyes and expressions, now, not sure if the tom could--or cared--to understand her. Then, she smiled softly, blinking at him with warmth in her orange eyes. I'm still glad you're here. Her eyes crinkled Even if you are more hesitant than most.

He asked if she was hungry, and she shook her head. Silence then extended her claws and began to clumsily draw in the dirt. From a very faded memory, she drew a rough twoleg nest. She then rubbed her paw along her throat, trying to mime a collar. She pointed to the drawing. There is a kittypet who wanders in about once a moon, you can go back with her when she comes.
She stood, motioning to the back of the tree with her head. Theres moss back there, we can build you a fresh nest, if you'd like to stay.

Hoot jumped with surprise when he heard Silence's voice. He had prompted her to use it, but he also expected her to shake her head no, telling him she wouldn't. Her voice sounded weird. It wasn't anything like Hoot had ever heard. Silence's voice sounded like she'd abandoned it in a cave for a couple moons, only recently remembering it and using it. Not only that, but it looked like it hurt. It seemed that the she-cat was swallowing hard to make it feel better. Guilt prickled at Hoot's tan colored pelt. He didn't want Silence to hurt herself. He was just curious.

Trying to seem disinterested, Hoot watched Silence as she let her body tell her story. Her views were different from what Hoot's were. She's wrong, he decided. Silence seemed like a good cat. He still didn't know her. Although his heart was tugging him towards her, tugging him towards a friend, Hoot pulled away. Good cats like the two of them needed to be alone. They needed to be alone or else they'd be tainted by other cats' evil. He'd zoned out for a moment, missing a portion of what Silence was saying, but he'd gotten the gist. He'd understood enough to understand that they weren't as alike as Hoot thought they might have been. She enjoyed company. She wanted the cats who stayed with her to stay longer, to stay forever. Hoot didn't want any part of that. Hoot didn't want strangers and their words and their impossibleness. Hoot wanted isolation and silence. Hoot wanted to be alone. After all, if the young tom was good at anything, he was good at being alone.

Hoot looked away as Silence looked at him with a warmth in her eyes that he'd never seen before. He watched as she etched something in the dirt. At first he couldn't tell what it was, but once she swiped a paw across her throat, he understood what she meant. He nodded, still trying to avoid Silence's orange eyes. Without another word, the tom padded behind the tree and began gathering moss, tearing it with his claws when he needed to. Hoot would leave and return home when it was time, leaving Silence and their time together in this clearing. He'd go home and he'd rest and hunt and mark his territory as if today hadn't even happened.

Raindancer January 8th, 2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 452378)
Hoot jumped with surprise when he heard Silence's voice. He had prompted her to use it, but he also expected her to shake her head no, telling him she wouldn't. Her voice sounded weird. It wasn't anything like Hoot had ever heard. Silence's voice sounded like she'd abandoned it in a cave for a couple moons, only recently remembering it and using it. Not only that, but it looked like it hurt. It seemed that the she-cat was swallowing hard to make it feel better. Guilt prickled at Hoot's tan colored pelt. He didn't want Silence to hurt herself. He was just curious.

Trying to seem disinterested, Hoot watched Silence as she let her body tell her story. Her views were different from what Hoot's were. She's wrong, he decided. Silence seemed like a good cat. He still didn't know her. Although his heart was tugging him towards her, tugging him towards a friend, Hoot pulled away. Good cats like the two of them needed to be alone. They needed to be alone or else they'd be tainted by other cats' evil. He'd zoned out for a moment, missing a portion of what Silence was saying, but he'd gotten the gist. He'd understood enough to understand that they weren't as alike as Hoot thought they might have been. She enjoyed company. She wanted the cats who stayed with her to stay longer, to stay forever. Hoot didn't want any part of that. Hoot didn't want strangers and their words and their impossibleness. Hoot wanted isolation and silence. Hoot wanted to be alone. After all, if the young tom was good at anything, he was good at being alone.

Hoot looked away as Silence looked at him with a warmth in her eyes that he'd never seen before. He watched as she etched something in the dirt. At first he couldn't tell what it was, but once she swiped a paw across her throat, he understood what she meant. He nodded, still trying to avoid Silence's orange eyes. Without another word, the tom padded behind the tree and began gathering moss, tearing it with his claws when he needed to. Hoot would leave and return home when it was time, leaving Silence and their time together in this clearing. He'd go home and he'd rest and hunt and mark his territory as if today hadn't even happened.

Silence would have sighed if she could. Her words had shut him down again, and she regretted that. He seemed to be honestly a kind cat, once he let himself open up. Something had striped his nerves down so that kindness rubbed like bark against him. He moved behind the tree and Silence went into the den and came back out with a mouse. Hoot'd said he wasn't hungry but she wanted to make sure he'd eaten.

You can't change how cats are. she thought as she waited for him to return, curling her tail neatly around her paws. But you do what you can and hope it was enough to leave them with a pleasant memory. Silence smiled smally as she recalled the words of the old tom who raised her. She made up her mind to ask Hoot for help with a little errand when he came back.

Thistledawn January 8th, 2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 452417)
Silence would have sighed if she could. Her words had shut him down again, and she regretted that. He seemed to be honestly a kind cat, once he let himself open up. Something had striped his nerves down so that kindness rubbed like bark against him. He moved behind the tree and Silence went into the den and came back out with a mouse. Hoot'd said he wasn't hungry but she wanted to make sure he'd eaten.

You can't change how cats are. she thought as she waited for him to return, curling her tail neatly around her paws. But you do what you can and hope it was enough to leave them with a pleasant memory. Silence smiled smally as she recalled the words of the old tom who raised her. She made up her mind to ask Hoot for help with a little errand when he came back.

Frustrated and confused for no reason obvious to himself, Hoot rolled the moss he'd gathered and into a ball so that it would be easy to carry. He picked it up between his jaws and began to pad back around the tree. The tom noticed Silence waiting patiently on the other side, her tail wrapped around her paws. Hoot's stared at her for a heartbeat before the scent of mouse drifted past his nose. The Abyssinian's belly noticed it too, growling once more, but louder this time. Hoot stubbornly willed his stomach to stop complaining. Hoot had gone longer without food before. He and his stomach would make it for now. Perhaps Silence had changed her mind about being hungry anyways. She'd caught it, so she might as well eat it. A quiet voice in the back of Hoot's head told him that wasn't why she'd brought the mouse out of her den, but he ignored it.

Setting the moss ball outside of the den, Hoot turned back to Silence, who he'd caught smiling at nothing. He gave her a questioning glance. "Something funny?" He mewed with the least amount of emotion he could manage. His effort was wasted, he realized, as Silence couldn't hear his tone of voice anyways.

Raindancer January 8th, 2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 452447)
Frustrated and confused for no reason obvious to himself, Hoot rolled the moss he'd gathered and into a ball so that it would be easy to carry. He picked it up between his jaws and began to pad back around the tree. The tom noticed Silence waiting patiently on the other side, her tail wrapped around her paws. Hoot's stared at her for a heartbeat before the scent of mouse drifted past his nose. The Abyssinian's belly noticed it too, growling once more, but louder this time. Hoot stubbornly willed his stomach to stop complaining. Hoot had gone longer without food before. He and his stomach would make it for now. Perhaps Silence had changed her mind about being hungry anyways. She'd caught it, so she might as well eat it. A quiet voice in the back of Hoot's head told him that wasn't why she'd brought the mouse out of her den, but he ignored it.

Setting the moss ball outside of the den, Hoot turned back to Silence, who he'd caught smiling at nothing. He gave her a questioning glance. "Something funny?" He mewed with the least amount of emotion he could manage. His effort was wasted, he realized, as Silence couldn't hear his tone of voice anyways.

The she-cat read his body easily--He fought briefly with his stomach to stay quiet. Hoot had probably been trying to be polite and refuse a meal. How sweet. Silence's eyes crinkled, and she pushed the mouse towards him. Only the fact that you keep insisting on not eating when your body says otherwise.
The little black cat then stood, leaving the mouse in front of her guest as she vanished under the roots with the ball of moss Hoot had collected.

She returned not long after, though she'd tried to wait long enough for him to eat at least a little. with a wet ball of moss in her teeth and other balanced on her head. Silence walked slowly back towards him, taking time after each pawstep to let the moss ball settle before moving again. She stopped before Hoot and flicked her tail back to the entrance of the den. Your nest is all set up. Her orange eyes flicked from the ball on her head to him, questioningly. Mind helping me out with this?

Thistledawn January 9th, 2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 452465)
The she-cat read his body easily--He fought briefly with his stomach to stay quiet. Hoot had probably been trying to be polite and refuse a meal. How sweet. Silence's eyes crinkled, and she pushed the mouse towards him. Only the fact that you keep insisting on not eating when your body says otherwise.
The little black cat then stood, leaving the mouse in front of her guest as she vanished under the roots with the ball of moss Hoot had collected.

She returned not long after, though she'd tried to wait long enough for him to eat at least a little. with a wet ball of moss in her teeth and other balanced on her head. Silence walked slowly back towards him, taking time after each pawstep to let the moss ball settle before moving again. She stopped before Hoot and flicked her tail back to the entrance of the den. Your nest is all set up. Her orange eyes flicked from the ball on her head to him, questioningly. Mind helping me out with this?

Hoot felt a mix of irritation and relief when Silence pushed the mouse towards him. The tom was annoyed that the she-cat hadn't just trusted him when he said he wasn't hungry. If he ate this mouse, he'd be in debt to Silence. Things hadn't turned out nicely the last time that Hoot owed someone. However, he was relieved that there was a meal in front of him. His stomach was especially thankful that it didn't have to wait for a meal. The green-eyed tom waited until Silence had disappeared completely to start eating the mouse. The smell of it alone made Hoot drool. Hoot controlled how much he ate, however. He made sure not to eat the entire thing. Maybe Silence was hungry. And maybe not eating the entire mouse would prove something to the she-cat.

Thinking to himself, Hoot waited for Silence to return. He'd watched the moss balls carefully as the she-cat padded forward. "Thank you." He mewed, again, trying to sound emotionless. "I appreciate it. "What do you need me to do?" His tail waved with slight impatience behind him. He wanted something to do that had little to do with talking, and perhaps this was it. Hoot would be careful of what he said from now on, and that started with talking less.

Raindancer January 9th, 2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 452734)
Hoot felt a mix of irritation and relief when Silence pushed the mouse towards him. The tom was annoyed that the she-cat hadn't just trusted him when he said he wasn't hungry. If he ate this mouse, he'd be in debt to Silence. Things hadn't turned out nicely the last time that Hoot owed someone. However, he was relieved that there was a meal in front of him. His stomach was especially thankful that it didn't have to wait for a meal. The green-eyed tom waited until Silence had disappeared completely to start eating the mouse. The smell of it alone made Hoot drool. Hoot controlled how much he ate, however. He made sure not to eat the entire thing. Maybe Silence was hungry. And maybe not eating the entire mouse would prove something to the she-cat.

Thinking to himself, Hoot waited for Silence to return. He'd watched the moss balls carefully as the she-cat padded forward. "Thank you." He mewed, again, trying to sound emotionless. "I appreciate it. "What do you need me to do?" His tail waved with slight impatience behind him. He wanted something to do that had little to do with talking, and perhaps this was it. Hoot would be careful of what he said from now on, and that started with talking less.

Silence saw he had eaten at least some of the mouse, and was relieved. When he responded to her question, she smiled around the moss ball in her mouth. Gently leaning down, she tipped the one on her head to his feet, and motioned for him to pick it up. She then trotted to the edge of the clearing, stopping to look over her shoulder.
Follow me.

Thistledawn January 10th, 2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 452738)
Silence saw he had eaten at least some of the mouse, and was relieved. When he responded to her question, she smiled around the moss ball in her mouth. Gently leaning down, she tipped the one on her head to his feet, and motioned for him to pick it up. She then trotted to the edge of the clearing, stopping to look over her shoulder.
Follow me.

Without another word, Hoot picked up the moss ball and settled it between his jaws. A little bit of it tickled his nose making his nose wrinkled and his eyes squint like he was about to sneeze. He huffed, trying to blow the moss away from his nose. Once the problem was resolved, he looked back at Silence, who was waiting for him. Unable to say anything around the moss between his jaws, Hoot just nodded, signaling that he understood and followed the she-cat's lead.

Raindancer January 11th, 2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 453186)
Without another word, Hoot picked up the moss ball and settled it between his jaws. A little bit of it tickled his nose making his nose wrinkled and his eyes squint like he was about to sneeze. He huffed, trying to blow the moss away from his nose. Once the problem was resolved, he looked back at Silence, who was waiting for him. Unable to say anything around the moss between his jaws, Hoot just nodded, signaling that he understood and followed the she-cat's lead.

Silence took off at a slow trot into the forest, and walked to a small clearing. Five patches of flowers grew side by side, each a different kind. A cluster of white chamomile blooms, then a few stalks of celandine which were beside the soft pink bright-eye flowers, then a splash of purple from the borage plant with the large bindweed blooms last in line. Silence walked up to the Chamomile and squeezed the moss ball between her jaws, dripping water down onto the plant. She looked over her shoulder at Hoot and motioned for him to do the same.

(Sorry for vanishing! I took an overnight trip w/o my computer)

Thistledawn January 12th, 2018 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 453452)
Silence took off at a slow trot into the forest, and walked to a small clearing. Five patches of flowers grew side by side, each a different kind. A cluster of white chamomile blooms, then a few stalks of celandine which were beside the soft pink bright-eye flowers, then a splash of purple from the borage plant with the large bindweed blooms last in line. Silence walked up to the Chamomile and squeezed the moss ball between her jaws, dripping water down onto the plant. She looked over her shoulder at Hoot and motioned for him to do the same.

(Sorry for vanishing! I took an overnight trip w/o my computer)

Hoot followed closely behind Silence, trying to match her pace. His green eyes widened as he finally noticed the groups of plants growing in the clearing. It seemed organized, not how you'd typically see these plants in the wild. At least, Hoot had never seen anything like this before. The tom watched Silence begin to water the plants, cocking his head while doing so. As confused as he was, Hoot followed her lead, putting pressure on the moss ball and letting the water fall out of it and onto the plant. "What is this?" He asked around the moss ball in his mouth. He looked across the different colors of flowers and plants mesmerized by the fact that Silence took care of them.

[ No problem! ]

Raindancer January 12th, 2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 453920)
Hoot followed closely behind Silence, trying to match her pace. His green eyes widened as he finally noticed the groups of plants growing in the clearing. It seemed organized, not how you'd typically see these plants in the wild. At least, Hoot had never seen anything like this before. The tom watched Silence begin to water the plants, cocking his head while doing so. As confused as he was, Hoot followed her lead, putting pressure on the moss ball and letting the water fall out of it and onto the plant. "What is this?" He asked around the moss ball in his mouth. He looked across the different colors of flowers and plants mesmerized by the fact that Silence took care of them.

[ No problem! ]

Silence smiled, moving on to the next plant. She got two more done before her moss ball was too dry, and set it down. Looking at Hoot, she mimed a limp paw. They're for healing, mostly. She looked down at the flowers again, her smile turning sad. But they're also for the cats who didn't make it. Silence nodded to each in turn. To the large white Bindweed bloom, A kittypet named Sherry. She fell out of a tree and broke the bones in her chest. To the little blue star shaped Borage flower A pair of kits wandered into my den, starving. They died within hours of each other. I..don't even think they had names. To the vibrant pink Bright-eye blossoms A loner called Skip. He died of green cough. To the proud yellow Celandine A blind loner named Thunder, who was mauled by a dog. And lastly, the little white Chamomile flower. For the loner who raised me. Her eyes swept over the flowers again, with the same sad fondness. After I bury them I put a plant over them. They deserved to be remembered. And now they help others, too.

Thistledawn January 13th, 2018 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 453934)
Silence smiled, moving on to the next plant. She got two more done before her moss ball was too dry, and set it down. Looking at Hoot, she mimed a limp paw. They're for healing, mostly. She looked down at the flowers again, her smile turning sad. But they're also for the cats who didn't make it. Silence nodded to each in turn. To the large white Bindweed bloom, A kittypet named Sherry. She fell out of a tree and broke the bones in her chest. To the little blue star shaped Borage flower A pair of kits wandered into my den, starving. They died within hours of each other. I..don't even think they had names. To the vibrant pink Bright-eye blossoms A loner called Skip. He died of green cough. To the proud yellow Celandine A blind loner named Thunder, who was mauled by a dog. And lastly, the little white Chamomile flower. For the loner who raised me. Her eyes swept over the flowers again, with the same sad fondness. After I bury them I put a plant over them. They deserved to be remembered. And now they help others, too.

Hoot still didn't understand, but he continued to water the plants anyways. He dropped the moss ball between himself and Silence as he finished. "How well did you know those cats?" He asked. "Obviously you probably knew that loner pretty well, but the rest of those cats were strangers, right? You didn't know them." The tom's voice gave a hint of venom. He felt angry at Silence, though he couldn't fully understand why in the moment. "Some of those cats couldn't been murderers. They might have been thieves. And for all you know, the world might have been better off without them." He clawed the dirt under him. "Not every cat deserves to be remembered either." Hoot mumbled at the ground.

Raindancer January 14th, 2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 454341)
Hoot still didn't understand, but he continued to water the plants anyways. He dropped the moss ball between himself and Silence as he finished. "How well did you know those cats?" He asked. "Obviously you probably knew that loner pretty well, but the rest of those cats were strangers, right? You didn't know them." The tom's voice gave a hint of venom. He felt angry at Silence, though he couldn't fully understand why in the moment. "Some of those cats couldn't been murderers. They might have been thieves. And for all you know, the world might have been better off without them." He clawed the dirt under him. "Not every cat deserves to be remembered either." Hoot mumbled at the ground.

Silence tilted her head as he spoke. She could feel the hostility in him and flattened her ears against her head, recoiling slightly. She looked back at the plants Even though I didn't know them for long, who am I to doom them to ghosts? If they were evil, they are where they belong now. They will get what they deserve, whatever that may be. Silence looked away from Hoot, ears still flat. She stood, picking up one moss ball and kicking the other towards the forest. She unraveled them around the roots of a nearby tree and poked her head back into the clearing, motioning for Hoot to follow her. Come on. A storm is coming, we'd better get home. She would not meet his eyes.

Thistledawn January 16th, 2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 454633)
Silence tilted her head as he spoke. She could feel the hostility in him and flattened her ears against her head, recoiling slightly. She looked back at the plants Even though I didn't know them for long, who am I to doom them to ghosts? If they were evil, they are where they belong now. They will get what they deserve, whatever that may be. Silence looked away from Hoot, ears still flat. She stood, picking up one moss ball and kicking the other towards the forest. She unraveled them around the roots of a nearby tree and poked her head back into the clearing, motioning for Hoot to follow her. Come on. A storm is coming, we'd better get home. She would not meet his eyes.

Guilt prickled at Hoot's paws as he watched Silence push her ears against her head. The she-cat's reasoning made sense. Besides, what could those cats do now? They were already dead. On top of all of that, Hoot was just picking fights with her now. He was stubborn, but he also thought he was right, despite how awful he was being. The Abyssinian knew he should have apologized, but he didn't know how. Apologizing wasn't really something Hoot had a lot of experience doing. He felt oddly protective over the she-cat. Hoot hadn't felt anything like that towards another cat before. Well, he hadn't really felt anything towards another cat other than distaste or hatred. Of course if you asked 4 moon old Hoot, he'd say that he had plenty of friends that he liked and enjoyed hanging around with. 6 moon old Hoot wouldn't say that. The tom had learned by then that other cats weren't to be trusted. His "friends" had betrayed him, stolen from him, and left him alone without another thought. Since then, the tom avoided other cats at all costs. His efforts went to waste many different times as he'd met and verbally fought with many other cats. But Silence didn't seem that bad. Unlike every other cat Hoot had ever met, he had a good feeling about her, even though he didn't quite agree with her all the time. At least he didn't want to claw her whiskers off.

Hoot shook his head. Silence was waiting for him. He parted his jaws to speak, but changed his mind. It was too late. It felt too weird to say anything. So the green-eyed tom just followed Silence in silence. He hadn't even known there would be a storm coming, but he smelled it in the air once he took in a deep breath. Great, Hoot thought. I'm for sure stuck here now. I can't go wandering around in a storm.

Raindancer January 16th, 2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 456016)
Guilt prickled at Hoot's paws as he watched Silence push her ears against her head. The she-cat's reasoning made sense. Besides, what could those cats do now? They were already dead. On top of all of that, Hoot was just picking fights with her now. He was stubborn, but he also thought he was right, despite how awful he was being. The Abyssinian knew he should have apologized, but he didn't know how. Apologizing wasn't really something Hoot had a lot of experience doing. He felt oddly protective over the she-cat. Hoot hadn't felt anything like that towards another cat before. Well, he hadn't really felt anything towards another cat other than distaste or hatred. Of course if you asked 4 moon old Hoot, he'd say that he had plenty of friends that he liked and enjoyed hanging around with. 6 moon old Hoot wouldn't say that. The tom had learned by then that other cats weren't to be trusted. His "friends" had betrayed him, stolen from him, and left him alone without another thought. Since then, the tom avoided other cats at all costs. His efforts went to waste many different times as he'd met and verbally fought with many other cats. But Silence didn't seem that bad. Unlike every other cat Hoot had ever met, he had a good feeling about her, even though he didn't quite agree with her all the time. At least he didn't want to claw her whiskers off.

Hoot shook his head. Silence was waiting for him. He parted his jaws to speak, but changed his mind. It was too late. It felt too weird to say anything. So the green-eyed tom just followed Silence in silence. He hadn't even known there would be a storm coming, but he smelled it in the air once he took in a deep breath. Great, Hoot thought. I'm for sure stuck here now. I can't go wandering around in a storm.

As they walked back, Silence began to feel uneasy. It was more than the coming storm pricking under her pelt. Her orange eyes scanned the foliage around them restlessly, checking back to make sure Hoot was behind her several times. When they got close to her hollow, she stopped, and scented the air. Silence froze like she'd just tasted lighting.

Silence felt the world spin for a moment, her paws rooted to the ground. Her black fur puffed up, making her look like a spooked shadow. Her heart sped up, jittery like a mouse, her breath uneven. In her broken, raspy voice, she choked out "Hoot. Hide. Now." Her throat burned, but she didn't take time to swallow, just looked back at him, trying to smother the fear she felt. "P-please." She forced herself to move, fighting the urge to run. She motioned left There's an entrance to the den around the back. Be quiet.

Silence had known he would come for her. She had nightmares about it. Of course he would come with a storm on his heels. But looking back at Hoot, she wouldn't run. This was her home. Hoot was her friend. She would protect him, and everything she'd worked so hard to build. Uprooting again wasn't an option.

Thistledawn January 17th, 2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 456023)
As they walked back, Silence began to feel uneasy. It was more than the coming storm pricking under her pelt. Her orange eyes scanned the foliage around them restlessly, checking back to make sure Hoot was behind her several times. When they got close to her hollow, she stopped, and scented the air. Silence froze like she'd just tasted lighting.

Silence felt the world spin for a moment, her paws rooted to the ground. Her black fur puffed up, making her look like a spooked shadow. Her heart sped up, jittery like a mouse, her breath uneven. In her broken, raspy voice, she choked out "Hoot. Hide. Now." Her throat burned, but she didn't take time to swallow, just looked back at him, trying to smother the fear she felt. "P-please." She forced herself to move, fighting the urge to run. She motioned left There's an entrance to the den around the back. Be quiet.

Silence had known he would come for her. She had nightmares about it. Of course he would come with a storm on his heels. But looking back at Hoot, she wouldn't run. This was her home. Hoot was her friend. She would protect him, and everything she'd worked so hard to build. Uprooting again wasn't an option.

Hoot was surprised by Silence's sudden change. The she-cat seemed fine only moments ago, but her uneasiness was contagious. Hoot felt his own fur begin to stand up and his heart began to race. The Abyssinian wasn't sure exactly what this sudden danger was, but he trusted that it was bad as soon as he heard Silence speak. The panic in the other cat's voice made Hoot nervous. There was a context to Silence's fear of whatever was lurking about, but Hoot had no idea what it was.

The young tom wanted to run. His paws were ready to turn and run until he couldn't anymore. All of the tiredness and exhaustion that Hoot had felt before dissipated in a heartbeat. His body had initiated the fight or flight response and there wasn't any going back. Hoot had to fight his urge to run. It took all of his strength to do what Silence had told him. He followed her instruction, keeping his ears and eyes open for any sign of danger.

Raindancer January 17th, 2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 457018)
Hoot was surprised by Silence's sudden change. The she-cat seemed fine only moments ago, but her uneasiness was contagious. Hoot felt his own fur begin to stand up and his heart began to race. The Abyssinian wasn't sure exactly what this sudden danger was, but he trusted that it was bad as soon as he heard Silence speak. The panic in the other cat's voice made Hoot nervous. There was a context to Silence's fear of whatever was lurking about, but Hoot had no idea what it was.

The young tom wanted to run. His paws were ready to turn and run until he couldn't anymore. All of the tiredness and exhaustion that Hoot had felt before dissipated in a heartbeat. His body had initiated the fight or flight response and there wasn't any going back. Hoot had to fight his urge to run. It took all of his strength to do what Silence had told him. He followed her instruction, keeping his ears and eyes open for any sign of danger.

Once she was sure Hoot was gone, Silence took deep breaths, calming herself as much as she could. Conjuring up every ounce of will she had, she forced her paws to move farther into the clearing, where the cat who haunted her nightmares sat, paitently waiting. He was a normal sized tom, mottled black and white with pale blue eyes, like ice. A long scar curved around his left ear and over his eye, though it was white with age. He perked when he saw her, standing and trotting over as if they were old friends. When he spoke, it was a deep rumble in the back of this throat, almost like thunder. "I've finally found you."

Though she couldn't hear him, when he started to speak the little black she-cat shook like her bones were trying to rattle out of her skin. When the tom reached his head down to touch hers, she flinched away, stepping backwards and baring her teeth in a soundless snarl. Don't you dare touch me! Her ears flattened against her head, bright orange eyes a mixture of fear and hostility. You are not welcome here, Spark. Leave.

Spark's head receded in surprise, his eyes gleaming with genuine hurt. "Silence, do you know how many moons I've searched for you?" He leaned down to nuzzle her again, and she snapped at him, teeth just missing his face. Both cats froze in shock, and Spark's eyes grew dark. Moving like a snake, he had the little she-cat pinned within a heartbeat, staring down at her with unbridled rage. "You still fight me?? After everything? I named you! I took you in when your family left you to die! And how do you repay me? With a scar and this ungrateful attitude." He snarled, leaning over her. Silence refused to cower, twisting under him in an attempt to free herself.

Thistledawn January 17th, 2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 457035)
Once she was sure Hoot was gone, Silence took deep breaths, calming herself as much as she could. Conjuring up every ounce of will she had, she forced her paws to move farther into the clearing, where the cat who haunted her nightmares sat, paitently waiting. He was a normal sized tom, mottled black and white with pale blue eyes, like ice. A long scar curved around his left ear and over his eye, though it was white with age. He perked when he saw her, standing and trotting over as if they were old friends. When he spoke, it was a deep rumble in the back of this throat, almost like thunder. "I've finally found you."

Though she couldn't hear him, when he started to speak the little black she-cat shook like her bones were trying to rattle out of her skin. When the tom reached his head down to touch hers, she flinched away, stepping backwards and baring her teeth in a soundless snarl. Don't you dare touch me! Her ears flattened against her head, bright orange eyes a mixture of fear and hostility. You are not welcome here, Spark. Leave.

Spark's head receded in surprise, his eyes gleaming with genuine hurt. "Silence, do you know how many moons I've searched for you?" He leaned down to nuzzle her again, and she snapped at him, teeth just missing his face. Both cats froze in shock, and Spark's eyes grew dark. Moving like a snake, he had the little she-cat pinned within a heartbeat, staring down at her with unbridled rage. "You still fight me?? After everything? I named you! I took you in when your family left you to die! And how do you repay me? With a scar and this ungrateful attitude." He snarled, leaning over her. Silence refused to cower, twisting under him in an attempt to free herself.

There was hardly anything louder than Hoot's heart thundering in his chest. Waiting was only making it worse. Hoot's paws were shaking. He tried to squeeze himself into a corner to try to stop the shaking, but it didn't help one bit. Other than his own heart, the tom couldn't hear anything. It seemed like moons passed before he finally heard his voice. It wasn't Silence's. He knew that for sure. This voice was clear and was obviously used. It was masculine and deep and somehow managed to become louder than the sound of Hoot's racing heart in his ears. Hearing the voice had made the tom stop breathing for a few heartbeats. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know this cat nor did he know the danger he posed. Silence, who seemed welcoming of strangers, was terrified of this other cat. The cat who had welcomed Hoot into her territory and her den with his bad attitude and suspicion, was not welcoming this newcomer like she had welcomed Hoot. He had to be pretty awful.

There was a silence after the tom spoke. Silence is speaking, Hoot thought. The silence was almost worse than being able to hear. Hoot couldn't see Silence and therefore couldn't tell what she was saying. He willed his body to move to a place where he could see, but his body had no response. He remained planted where he was. Hoot closed his green eyes and angled his ears towards the two cats out in the clearing. He tried to focus on the sounds coming from them instead of the voice in his head telling him to run.

Hoot hardly even noticed his body moving in the same heartbeat he heard a thump. He hadn't crossed all the way into the clearing. The sound of Silence's voice, panicked, shaken, and afraid stopped him from doing something as reckless as that. Well, that and the abundant fear that Hoot was feeling. But the Abyssinian could see the two cats now. His breath caught in his throat as he saw Silence on the ground, thrashing about in attempt to get free from the tom's grasp. The sight of the tom leaning over Silence like that should have either sent him running, or made him dash to help her. But Hoot was frozen in fear even more so now that before, if that was even possible. Again, the tan colored tom willed himself forward, but was met with failure. Instead, he willed his strength forward, as if it would leave his body and be absorbed by Silence. Hoot felt helpless.

Raindancer January 17th, 2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 457071)
There was hardly anything louder than Hoot's heart thundering in his chest. Waiting was only making it worse. Hoot's paws were shaking. He tried to squeeze himself into a corner to try to stop the shaking, but it didn't help one bit. Other than his own heart, the tom couldn't hear anything. It seemed like moons passed before he finally heard his voice. It wasn't Silence's. He knew that for sure. This voice was clear and was obviously used. It was masculine and deep and somehow managed to become louder than the sound of Hoot's racing heart in his ears. Hearing the voice had made the tom stop breathing for a few heartbeats. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know this cat nor did he know the danger he posed. Silence, who seemed welcoming of strangers, was terrified of this other cat. The cat who had welcomed Hoot into her territory and her den with his bad attitude and suspicion, was not welcoming this newcomer like she had welcomed Hoot. He had to be pretty awful.

There was a silence after the tom spoke. Silence is speaking, Hoot thought. The silence was almost worse than being able to hear. Hoot couldn't see Silence and therefore couldn't tell what she was saying. He willed his body to move to a place where he could see, but his body had no response. He remained planted where he was. Hoot closed his green eyes and angled his ears towards the two cats out in the clearing. He tried to focus on the sounds coming from them instead of the voice in his head telling him to run.

Hoot hardly even noticed his body moving in the same heartbeat he heard a thump. He hadn't crossed all the way into the clearing. The sound of Silence's voice, panicked, shaken, and afraid stopped him from doing something as reckless as that. Well, that and the abundant fear that Hoot was feeling. But the Abyssinian could see the two cats now. His breath caught in his throat as he saw Silence on the ground, thrashing about in attempt to get free from the tom's grasp. The sight of the tom leaning over Silence like that should have either sent him running, or made him dash to help her. But Hoot was frozen in fear even more so now that before, if that was even possible. Again, the tan colored tom willed himself forward, but was met with failure. Instead, he willed his strength forward, as if it would leave his body and be absorbed by Silence. Hoot felt helpless.

Spark lifted a paw and swiped at Silence's head, claws tearing through one of her ears. He released her, and the force of the blow sent her carrening across the small clearing. Pain blinded her for several seconds, but when she scrambled to her feet, she stared the tom down, blood from her ruined ear dripping into her eyes.

Spark stalked towards her, slowly. "This is unlike you, Silence. Why aren't you vanishing into the woods, like you used to? I do so miss those little games of chase we used to play." A slight movement from the den caught her eye, and worry, however briefly, flashed across her face. Spark's sharp ice eyes caught it, and he whipped around. "Unless you're protecting something." Before he could advance any further, Silence darted around him, planting herself between him and the entrance to her den. She shook violently, still, but her stance was firm. You'll have to kill me to get past.

"Oh, so you are protecting something--or should I say, someone. I've smelled them, all the cats that have come and go. Why protect a stranger?" He advanced, and Silence let out an eerie, scraping growl from deep in her chest. He's my friend! I won't let you touch him, you monster.Unfazed, he towered over her, a slight softness returning to his cold eyes. "If you come back quietly, love, I promise I'll forget everything." His tail came up and caressed her face, gently. Silence flinched and snapped at it, but he pulled away again.

Thistledawn January 19th, 2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 457127)
Spark lifted a paw and swiped at Silence's head, claws tearing through one of her ears. He released her, and the force of the blow sent her carrening across the small clearing. Pain blinded her for several seconds, but when she scrambled to her feet, she stared the tom down, blood from her ruined ear dripping into her eyes.

Spark stalked towards her, slowly. "This is unlike you, Silence. Why aren't you vanishing into the woods, like you used to? I do so miss those little games of chase we used to play." A slight movement from the den caught her eye, and worry, however briefly, flashed across her face. Spark's sharp ice eyes caught it, and he whipped around. "Unless you're protecting something." Before he could advance any further, Silence darted around him, planting herself between him and the entrance to her den. She shook violently, still, but her stance was firm. You'll have to kill me to get past.

"Oh, so you are protecting something--or should I say, someone. I've smelled them, all the cats that have come and go. Why protect a stranger?" He advanced, and Silence let out an eerie, scraping growl from deep in her chest. He's my friend! I won't let you touch him, you monster.Unfazed, he towered over her, a slight softness returning to his cold eyes. "If you come back quietly, love, I promise I'll forget everything." His tail came up and caressed her face, gently. Silence flinched and snapped at it, but he pulled away again.

Hoot flinched as the tom's blow landed. His breath stopped once again when he spotted the dark color of blood fall from Silence's ear. He wrinkled his nose, only able to imagine how much that must have hurt. It was a while before any more air returned to the young tom's lungs. His heart dropped when he realized that the stranger knew that Hoot was hiding in the den. He was crow-food for sure now.

Silence, however, hadn't given up just yet it seemed. She was still protecting her guest. Hoot had to agree with the other tom. Why was Silence protecting Hoot? It really didn't come as much of a surprise to him after seeing all of the plants and the flowers. Silence is too kind to cats she doesn't know, Hoot thought. But why is she risking herself for me? The she-cat had already gotten herself injured trying to protect the tom she'd only met today. It was foolish at best. Hoot didn't want her getting hurt trying to protect him.

The she-cat's words seemed to stir something in Hoot. He was still scared beyond belief. But he was scared for himself and Silence. Hoot couldn't remember the last time he was scared for someone else. A tiny ounce of courage returned to the green-eyed tom. Slowly, he rose from his crouching position and carefully padded into the clearing. He moved far enough to be sure he was in Silence's range of vision, but far enough that the stranger wouldn't be able to reach him with one leap.

Hoot took a few deep breaths, trying to regain his strength and voice. "I don't know who you are, but you aren't welcome here. I suggest you leave and don't ever come back." The younger tom felt his tan fur begin to rise around his neck. He wanted to snarl at the stranger, but his lips were quivering just a little bit and he didn't want to bring attention to it. But he was doing it! He was standing up to this cat, for his sake along with Silence's.

Raindancer January 20th, 2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 458467)
Hoot flinched as the tom's blow landed. His breath stopped once again when he spotted the dark color of blood fall from Silence's ear. He wrinkled his nose, only able to imagine how much that must have hurt. It was a while before any more air returned to the young tom's lungs. His heart dropped when he realized that the stranger knew that Hoot was hiding in the den. He was crow-food for sure now.

Silence, however, hadn't given up just yet it seemed. She was still protecting her guest. Hoot had to agree with the other tom. Why was Silence protecting Hoot? It really didn't come as much of a surprise to him after seeing all of the plants and the flowers. Silence is too kind to cats she doesn't know, Hoot thought. But why is she risking herself for me? The she-cat had already gotten herself injured trying to protect the tom she'd only met today. It was foolish at best. Hoot didn't want her getting hurt trying to protect him.

The she-cat's words seemed to stir something in Hoot. He was still scared beyond belief. But he was scared for himself and Silence. Hoot couldn't remember the last time he was scared for someone else. A tiny ounce of courage returned to the green-eyed tom. Slowly, he rose from his crouching position and carefully padded into the clearing. He moved far enough to be sure he was in Silence's range of vision, but far enough that the stranger wouldn't be able to reach him with one leap.

Hoot took a few deep breaths, trying to regain his strength and voice. "I don't know who you are, but you aren't welcome here. I suggest you leave and don't ever come back." The younger tom felt his tan fur begin to rise around his neck. He wanted to snarl at the stranger, but his lips were quivering just a little bit and he didn't want to bring attention to it. But he was doing it! He was standing up to this cat, for his sake along with Silence's.

Silence smiled softly at Hoot, seeing his words from the corner of her eye. Seems the young tom was a little more plucky than she'd thought. The smile faded quickly, though when Spark sneered down at her. "So, you're going for younger toms, now?" He swiped at her again, but the small she-cat ducked. "How pathetic. I told you when you left, no one else could ever love you." Silence lunged for his ankles, causing Spark to retreat a few steps. Though he looked more amused than threatened.

Her pelt burned with embarrassment at his crass insinuation. She bared her teeth at him. Get out! But he ignored her, taking a few steps towards Hoot. "You know that she's broken, don't you? Why on earth do you want her?" He snickered "You've smelled all the other cats that've been here, I'm sure. You're just another wanderer she shelters to feel good about herself. She doesn't really care about you, you know." His cold eyes raked over Silence accusingly before returning to Hoot "This isn't your business, so I suggest you leave."

Silence's eyes flashed with anger, and she lunged at him again, jumping to snap at his neck and swiping at his legs. Spark was forced to retreat again. It was all Silence could do to keep him moving. But he was toying with her, as he always was. If the tom decided to actually fight she was no match for him. But, if she could get him as far away from Hoot as possible, her friend would have more time to escape once the flighting started.

Thistledawn January 22nd, 2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 458560)
Silence smiled softly at Hoot, seeing his words from the corner of her eye. Seems the young tom was a little more plucky than she'd thought. The smile faded quickly, though when Spark sneered down at her. "So, you're going for younger toms, now?" He swiped at her again, but the small she-cat ducked. "How pathetic. I told you when you left, no one else could ever love you." Silence lunged for his ankles, causing Spark to retreat a few steps. Though he looked more amused than threatened.

Her pelt burned with embarrassment at his crass insinuation. She bared her teeth at him. Get out! But he ignored her, taking a few steps towards Hoot. "You know that she's broken, don't you? Why on earth do you want her?" He snickered "You've smelled all the other cats that've been here, I'm sure. You're just another wanderer she shelters to feel good about herself. She doesn't really care about you, you know." His cold eyes raked over Silence accusingly before returning to Hoot "This isn't your business, so I suggest you leave."

Silence's eyes flashed with anger, and she lunged at him again, jumping to snap at his neck and swiping at his legs. Spark was forced to retreat again. It was all Silence could do to keep him moving. But he was toying with her, as he always was. If the tom decided to actually fight she was no match for him. But, if she could get him as far away from Hoot as possible, her friend would have more time to escape once the flighting started.

"Well that's quite rude of you to say, don't you think?" Hoot countered. He took half a step forward, but not daring to move any closer. "It's also very impolite to talk about other cats as if they aren't standing right in front of you." This felt good. This trash talk. It felt good to try and be intimidating too. The more he spoke, the more confident the tom became. As the stranger turned to speak to Hoot, he stiffened, but held his ground. His claws dug into the ground beneath him as if his rapidly beating heart would blow him away. "Broken?" He mewed incredulously. "You mean her deafness? She like she's functioning well enough." Hoot motioned his tail around the clearing. He struggled to continue his menacing act while heat burned under his pelt. The stranger's accusations were unwarranted, but appeared as if they were fueled by jealousy.

"It's not like that at all." The younger tom assured him. "We're not- we aren't together. We're acquaintances. Friends at best. And what does all of that matter? Perhaps she's using me, but maybe I'm using her too. This clearing isn't a bad place to stay and I've been fed so far." The tom's words had almost shaken him. It was possible Silence was just a selfish she-cat that was using him. But weren't all cats selfish deep down? But the plants. . . That entire scene between the two of them seemed to genuine. "Yeah," Hoot said firmly, looking into the tom's cold eyes. "It may not be my business, but I'm actually finding it pretty hard to stand by and say nothing." The Abyssinian tom's voice burned with the truth.

The tom's green eyes widened as Silence suddenly jumped towards the tom. He watched her with confusion. She probably wasn't much of a match for the stranger. Why would she go pick a fight with him? Perhaps she thought that Hoot would jump in to help her. It's possible that he would and could, but he wasn't much of a fighter. He imagined trying to talk the other tom out of the clearing would be the safest bet. But maybe Silence knew something that Hoot didn't.

Raindancer January 22nd, 2018 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 459890)
"Well that's quite rude of you to say, don't you think?" Hoot countered. He took half a step forward, but not daring to move any closer. "It's also very impolite to talk about other cats as if they aren't standing right in front of you." This felt good. This trash talk. It felt good to try and be intimidating too. The more he spoke, the more confident the tom became. As the stranger turned to speak to Hoot, he stiffened, but held his ground. His claws dug into the ground beneath him as if his rapidly beating heart would blow him away. "Broken?" He mewed incredulously. "You mean her deafness? She like she's functioning well enough." Hoot motioned his tail around the clearing. He struggled to continue his menacing act while heat burned under his pelt. The stranger's accusations were unwarranted, but appeared as if they were fueled by jealousy.

"It's not like that at all." The younger tom assured him. "We're not- we aren't together. We're acquaintances. Friends at best. And what does all of that matter? Perhaps she's using me, but maybe I'm using her too. This clearing isn't a bad place to stay and I've been fed so far." The tom's words had almost shaken him. It was possible Silence was just a selfish she-cat that was using him. But weren't all cats selfish deep down? But the plants. . . That entire scene between the two of them seemed to genuine. "Yeah," Hoot said firmly, looking into the tom's cold eyes. "It may not be my business, but I'm actually finding it pretty hard to stand by and say nothing." The Abyssinian tom's voice burned with the truth.

The tom's green eyes widened as Silence suddenly jumped towards the tom. He watched her with confusion. She probably wasn't much of a match for the stranger. Why would she go pick a fight with him? Perhaps she thought that Hoot would jump in to help her. It's possible that he would and could, but he wasn't much of a fighter. He imagined trying to talk the other tom out of the clearing would be the safest bet. But maybe Silence knew something that Hoot didn't.

Spark looked shocked at Hoot actually retorted. Recovering himself, he dodged Silence's attacks, almost allowing her to push him back towards the edge of the clearing. Eyes flashing with contempt, he struck back, one large paw slamming down on her throat, pinning her violently.

Silence let out a strangled, gurgling gasp, the sound ripping from her like a scream. She felt the coldness of Spark's claws sliding out across her skin, then the dribble of blood that followed. Not enough to kill her, just a scrape, to show how much more powerful he was. "She has you fooled well. She didn't tell you about her past, did she? About me." He cast another glance down at her with his piercing ice eyes, and Silence felt her heart stop, for just a moment. She was frozen, both in fear and in pain, trying desperately to figure a way out of his grasp.

"You see, my father and I found her as a kit, abandoned by her family after she was deafened. We took her in and raised her, cared for her, taught her how to survive in the world despite her lameness. Then, when my father died, she abandoned me--after I'd devoted my life to her! I cared for her! I loved her!" As his rage became more passionate, his claws sank a little further into her flesh, bit by bit. Silence's eyes strayed from Spark, for just a moment, and looked to Hoot.

It's not true! She said, pain and fear in her eyes It's not! This further enraged Spark; the dappled tom growled "Leave! This is not your fight, stranger. This is between me and my wayward mate." At that word Silence struck out, anger making her small body tremble. Spark had been distracted, and that was all she needed. Her claws hit skin, and the tom recoiled with a surprised yelp. The little she-cat scrambled away from him, blood dripping from her neck. Her face contorted with anger and pain as she snarled at him, ears pressed flat against her skull.

Mates?? Never! Not with you in this lifetime. She hastily backed towards Hoot, eyes darting between the stunned Spark and her friend. Hoot, it's not safe.He's not the type to leave without bloodshed--and I don't think mine will be enough this time. She dug her claws into the ground as the pain from her wounds hit her. I don't want you hurt.

Thistledawn January 23rd, 2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 459945)
Spark looked shocked at Hoot actually retorted. Recovering himself, he dodged Silence's attacks, almost allowing her to push him back towards the edge of the clearing. Eyes flashing with contempt, he struck back, one large paw slamming down on her throat, pinning her violently.

Silence let out a strangled, gurgling gasp, the sound ripping from her like a scream. She felt the coldness of Spark's claws sliding out across her skin, then the dribble of blood that followed. Not enough to kill her, just a scrape, to show how much more powerful he was. "She has you fooled well. She didn't tell you about her past, did she? About me." He cast another glance down at her with his piercing ice eyes, and Silence felt her heart stop, for just a moment. She was frozen, both in fear and in pain, trying desperately to figure a way out of his grasp.

"You see, my father and I found her as a kit, abandoned by her family after she was deafened. We took her in and raised her, cared for her, taught her how to survive in the world despite her lameness. Then, when my father died, she abandoned me--after I'd devoted my life to her! I cared for her! I loved her!" As his rage became more passionate, his claws sank a little further into her flesh, bit by bit. Silence's eyes strayed from Spark, for just a moment, and looked to Hoot.

It's not true! She said, pain and fear in her eyes It's not! This further enraged Spark; the dappled tom growled "Leave! This is not your fight, stranger. This is between me and my wayward mate." At that word Silence struck out, anger making her small body tremble. Spark had been distracted, and that was all she needed. Her claws hit skin, and the tom recoiled with a surprised yelp. The little she-cat scrambled away from him, blood dripping from her neck. Her face contorted with anger and pain as she snarled at him, ears pressed flat against her skull.

Mates?? Never! Not with you in this lifetime. She hastily backed towards Hoot, eyes darting between the stunned Spark and her friend. Hoot, it's not safe.He's not the type to leave without bloodshed--and I don't think mine will be enough this time. She dug her claws into the ground as the pain from her wounds hit her. I don't want you hurt.

The tom stepped back with surprise as the action resumed once more. Horror flooded through his veins. "Stop it! Stop it!" Hoot's voice was weak the first time. He was hardly audible. He was frozen with fear once more. Hoot was growing far too familiar with the sickening paralysation of terror. Silence's version of a scream sent shivers down his spine. Panting heavily, Hoot narrowed his eyes as the stranger spoke. His gaze flickered between Silence and the stranger, unsure. Was Silence that cruel? Had she ditched the son of the cat who raised her? The cat who loved her?

The pain in the she-cat's eyes told him otherwise. He believed her. The younger tom didn't know much about mates, but he knew that these two. . . They were not what mates were supposed to be. Hoot held his breath as Silence slipped out from the tom's grasp. Her reaction to the stranger's words told him he was right. Hoot was nearly as repulsed by the tom as Silence was.

Hoot stared at the she-cat, visually torn. He was too invested now. He'd seen and heard too much. It would be hard to walk away. Another part of him wanted to, however. For his own safety. It was merely survival talking. He could leave the two cats. He could leave this place and head for the Twolegplace. Maybe he'd be able to see it from a really tall tree. He'd climb it and then head home. He could be back in his nest in the birdbath in no more than a day and a half. But what kind of cat would I be if I just left her? He knew the answer. If he left Silence now, he'd be just like every cat that he hated. Ever cat the used him, every cat that betrayed him, he'd be just like them. Hoot would be a hypocrite.

I can't, Hoot pleaded silently. I can't go. There has to be something I can do to help you. I'm not a coward. He was desperate for an answer or an easy solution.

Raindancer January 23rd, 2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 460253)
The tom stepped back with surprise as the action resumed once more. Horror flooded through his veins. "Stop it! Stop it!" Hoot's voice was weak the first time. He was hardly audible. He was frozen with fear once more. Hoot was growing far too familiar with the sickening paralysation of terror. Silence's version of a scream sent shivers down his spine. Panting heavily, Hoot narrowed his eyes as the stranger spoke. His gaze flickered between Silence and the stranger, unsure. Was Silence that cruel? Had she ditched the son of the cat who raised her? The cat who loved her?

The pain in the she-cat's eyes told him otherwise. He believed her. The younger tom didn't know much about mates, but he knew that these two. . . They were not what mates were supposed to be. Hoot held his breath as Silence slipped out from the tom's grasp. Her reaction to the stranger's words told him he was right. Hoot was nearly as repulsed by the tom as Silence was.

Hoot stared at the she-cat, visually torn. He was too invested now. He'd seen and heard too much. It would be hard to walk away. Another part of him wanted to, however. For his own safety. It was merely survival talking. He could leave the two cats. He could leave this place and head for the Twolegplace. Maybe he'd be able to see it from a really tall tree. He'd climb it and then head home. He could be back in his nest in the birdbath in no more than a day and a half. But what kind of cat would I be if I just left her? He knew the answer. If he left Silence now, he'd be just like every cat that he hated. Ever cat the used him, every cat that betrayed him, he'd be just like them. Hoot would be a hypocrite.

I can't, Hoot pleaded silently. I can't go. There has to be something I can do to help you. I'm not a coward. He was desperate for an answer or an easy solution.

Silence smiled at him, gently. Taking a few steps towards him, she reached up and touched her nose to his ear, briefly, though she winced as she stretched her neck. Then continue to be brave, please. Spark twists the truth, do not let him fool you. I'll tell you everything once this is over, okay?

The mottled tom had watched their interaction, visibly growing more agitated. But Silence's affection towards the younger tom sent him into a full on rage, and he stalked towards the other two. Silence could not wait for Hoot's response, but turned towards Spark as he advanced. She met him halfway, making sure to keep him distanced from Hoot.

The little black cat then simply sat down, tail curling over her paws. She looked Spark directly in the eyes. The anger and hate in them caused her to quake again, but she didn't move, even as he stood over her, snarling. "What was that?? You still claim you aren't involved?" She answered Not like that. He is my friend and my guest here. Her calm answer only enraged him further. "Lair! I'll kill you!" Silence looked up at Spark, the monster who haunted her. Orange eyes met ice.

Do it.

Spark's growl ripped through the air, meshing with the thunder as it rolled in with the hard grey clouds overhead. Opening his jaws, he tackled her, mouth closing around her throat. The she-cat remained motionless, calm despite the shaking of her body. Heartbeats passed, but nothing happened. Spark seemed almost frozen, unable to make the kill but just as unwilling to let her go.

Thistledawn February 10th, 2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 460261)
Silence smiled at him, gently. Taking a few steps towards him, she reached up and touched her nose to his ear, briefly, though she winced as she stretched her neck. Then continue to be brave, please. Spark twists the truth, do not let him fool you. I'll tell you everything once this is over, okay?

The mottled tom had watched their interaction, visibly growing more agitated. But Silence's affection towards the younger tom sent him into a full on rage, and he stalked towards the other two. Silence could not wait for Hoot's response, but turned towards Spark as he advanced. She met him halfway, making sure to keep him distanced from Hoot.

The little black cat then simply sat down, tail curling over her paws. She looked Spark directly in the eyes. The anger and hate in them caused her to quake again, but she didn't move, even as he stood over her, snarling. "What was that?? You still claim you aren't involved?" She answered Not like that. He is my friend and my guest here. Her calm answer only enraged him further. "Lair! I'll kill you!" Silence looked up at Spark, the monster who haunted her. Orange eyes met ice.

Do it.

Spark's growl ripped through the air, meshing with the thunder as it rolled in with the hard grey clouds overhead. Opening his jaws, he tackled her, mouth closing around her throat. The she-cat remained motionless, calm despite the shaking of her body. Heartbeats passed, but nothing happened. Spark seemed almost frozen, unable to make the kill but just as unwilling to let her go.

Hoot looked deep into Silence's eyes and gave the slightest nod of his head. He'd trust her for now. She was still practically a stranger, but Hoot definitely didn't trust Spark. Everything about the tom seemed off. The vibes he was giving off sent shivers down the Abyssinian's spine. He dug his claws into the ground as the two cats faced each other. The tension was killing Hoot. He just wanted this entire thing to be over. He didn't really know what was happening anyways. This had all just started out as an adventure. How did I get here? Hoot didn't have time to think about that right now. He needed keep focused on reality and the situation at paw.

The tom struggled to keep a low growl to himself. Spark was being far too aggressive over nothing. His emotion did not go unmatched, however. It seemed that rage filled Silence and Spark equally. Both cats were fuming. Hoot didn't know there was that much anger and rage to be felt. Hoot flinched at the sound of the thunder paired with Spark's thunderous growl. He took a step forward as the tom gripped Silence in what seemed to be less than half a heartbeat. He gulped, unsure of what to do. He wanted to free Silence, but Spark could kill her in an instant at this point. No matter what, Hoot wasn't going to make this worse. So, he watched Spark and Silence carefully, ready to attack if he needed to. He tried to be silent as if that would make the tom forget that he was even there. Don't do this, don't do this, don't do this, Hoot begged silently. Let her go. He lashed his tan tail behind him, green eyes growing pained.

[ So so sorry about the late reply! I've been very sick for the last few weeks and wasn't able to make any posts! ]

Raindancer February 21st, 2018 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thistledawn (Post 467935)
Hoot looked deep into Silence's eyes and gave the slightest nod of his head. He'd trust her for now. She was still practically a stranger, but Hoot definitely didn't trust Spark. Everything about the tom seemed off. The vibes he was giving off sent shivers down the Abyssinian's spine. He dug his claws into the ground as the two cats faced each other. The tension was killing Hoot. He just wanted this entire thing to be over. He didn't really know what was happening anyways. This had all just started out as an adventure. How did I get here? Hoot didn't have time to think about that right now. He needed keep focused on reality and the situation at paw.

The tom struggled to keep a low growl to himself. Spark was being far too aggressive over nothing. His emotion did not go unmatched, however. It seemed that rage filled Silence and Spark equally. Both cats were fuming. Hoot didn't know there was that much anger and rage to be felt. Hoot flinched at the sound of the thunder paired with Spark's thunderous growl. He took a step forward as the tom gripped Silence in what seemed to be less than half a heartbeat. He gulped, unsure of what to do. He wanted to free Silence, but Spark could kill her in an instant at this point. No matter what, Hoot wasn't going to make this worse. So, he watched Spark and Silence carefully, ready to attack if he needed to. He tried to be silent as if that would make the tom forget that he was even there. Don't do this, don't do this, don't do this, Hoot begged silently. Let her go. He lashed his tan tail behind him, green eyes growing pained.

[ So so sorry about the late reply! I've been very sick for the last few weeks and wasn't able to make any posts! ]

After what felt like an eternity, Silence opened her mouth and spoke. Her scraping, rusty voice was shaking terribly with fear. "Spark.." The sound of her voice startled the frozen tom, and his grip on her throat loosened just enough for the little black cat to twist around and free herself. Spark's disorientation didn't last, however, and he lunged for Silence again.

The she-cat flattened herself to the earth, her small size becoming an advantage as her opponent flew over her. She bounced back to her feet in time to snap at his tail, drawing blood. Spark made a slight noise of pain, but instead of turning around to face her again he continued toward Hoot. Silence's orange eyes widened in panic and she chased after, like a small shadow.

(No worries, please!! I'm glad you're feeling better! I'm so sorry I was late to respond, midterms are around the corner so I'm swamped with work atm.)

Thistledawn February 24th, 2018 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raindancer (Post 473958)
After what felt like an eternity, Silence opened her mouth and spoke. Her scraping, rusty voice was shaking terribly with fear. "Spark.." The sound of her voice startled the frozen tom, and his grip on her throat loosened just enough for the little black cat to twist around and free herself. Spark's disorientation didn't last, however, and he lunged for Silence again.

The she-cat flattened herself to the earth, her small size becoming an advantage as her opponent flew over her. She bounced back to her feet in time to snap at his tail, drawing blood. Spark made a slight noise of pain, but instead of turning around to face her again he continued toward Hoot. Silence's orange eyes widened in panic and she chased after, like a small shadow.

(No worries, please!! I'm glad you're feeling better! I'm so sorry I was late to respond, midterms are around the corner so I'm swamped with work atm.)

[ Thank you! And it's no problem! I totally get it. My exams are coming up too. ]

The scratchy and rusted sound of Silence's voice sent shivers down Hoot's spine once again. He knew that she hardly used it and that she only used it when she thought it was necessary. Though the Abyssinian considered himself very accepting of the she-cat, her voice still scared him every other time that she used it. It seemed that Spark had felt the same way or at least was taken aback this time. Hoot let out a breath of relief as Silence slithered out of Spark's grasp. It had been a close call. Too close of a call.

Hoot hardly had enough time to recover his breath by the time he realized Spark was now heading for Hoot. The tan colored tom instinctively took a step backwards, but stopped himself before he could take another. The tom focused his green eyes on Spark's icy blue eyes. He flexed his claws, ready to use them if he had to. He wanted to say something, but he didn't know what to say. Could something he said change the murderous path that it seemed like Spark was on? Could anything Hoot said make it better, or would it only make things worse for not only himself, but Silence too? He settled on being silent for now. The green-eyed tom did try to will Spark to stand down with his thoughts however. He willed Spark to stop and to leave Silence alone.