View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Dreaming

Default Tips for Writing a Non-Cis Character?

Hello!

I hope to be roleplaying my OC Berrykit pretty soon, and she's going to be the first non-cis character I have.

Her entire kithood, she'll identify with her birth gender (she-cat). Then, as she moves into her apprenticeship, she'll begin to realize that she feels like a she-cat sometimes, a tom sometimes, doesn't want to identify as anything sometimes, etc. Basically, they'll be genderfluid. Then, some time after they become a warrior, they'll realize that they don't care what their Clanmates call them and will go by anything at any time (I think omnigender is the right word?).

So, essentially, I'm looking for tips, what to dos/what not to dos, and advice for writing a character with these qualities, as I am cis myself and do not have the experiences of a non-cis individual. I want to make sure I portray Berrykit accurately and non-offensively.

One thing I do already know is to not make the fact that they're genderfluid/omnigender their entire personality/character, even if it is a big part of them. Berrykit will very much be an individual; she doesn't exist just to be non-cis, but I want it to be a part of her character.

New and Improved Character Bios!