View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2019, 07:56 PM
boo

My Mood: Happy

Default Re: February Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang felt his heart, heavy as the Skyboulder itself, sink as the young shecat began to cry beside him. More than anything, he wanted to reach out and wrap a paw around her shoulder, tuck her into his chest fur and promise her it would all be ok; promise her the same way he had foolishly promised so many infected cats that day. But he couldn't... wouldn't comfort her with a lie, and he knew that an embrace from him could be as deadly as a deathberry now. He fixed his eyes on the leaders, addressing the clans and studiously avoided his apprentice's eyes for fear that his might begin to well. "This makes the most sense. I have handled treating cats on my own before and there is no point in risking you getting sick as well. Take care of Riverclan's cats. Skyclan too. They need you. That is an order from your mentor." Steeling himself, he fixed a cold and calculated gaze on Ringpaw and added, "Is that clear?" The warrior within him shone through his orange eye like the sun on a clear day. He was a patrol leader ordering an apprentice back to camp for reinforcements during a skirmish. He was a mentor about to throw himself into the fray with a hissing badger so that his apprentice had time to escape.
Ringpaw felt her mentor stiffen beside her, but she didn’t pull away. Instead, she took another rattling breath, inhaling herbs and the common scent of Shinefang. It was fresh, and while tainted, it was a smell she was used to. Why would he be like this? Why would he always push away? His ragged fur felt softer than anything in the world right now, and the small kit stepped back with tears blossoming at the corners of her eyes reluctantly. She took one coal black forepaw and dabbed at the hot salty streams with a plump pad, sniffling.
For a moment, Ringpaw was scared at her mentor’s tone. He sounded fierce, almost like a lion growling at her. He wasn’t the tender, sympathetic, grump she knew right now. The calico gave a small sob, quiet enough so that no one but herself would hear. She knew that Shinefang was trying to be a mentor. He was trying to tell her that staying around wasn’t safe enough, he was trying to be the better cat. But he wasn’t a mentor, he was a friend. He was better than Snowbranch, even better than Raccoonpaw. Snowbranch had pushed her away just like this, but Shinefang was still her mentor. Raccoonpaw was her best friend, someone Ringpaw could trust with her darkest secrets, but Shinefang would guide her through her darkest times. Why was this hard? She was just worried. Skyclan didn’t matter as much as Shinefang right now, she should be the cat who would help keep him away from the sickness. But... it was an order.
Looking up, she noticed him avoiding her gaze. But she could see in his posture that he was breaking, even though he was staying strong. “Y-Yes.” Her voice cracked, but her expression was serene. Tears were still there. “I’ll bring the herbs at dawn.” She stated. Her fur was lying flat, and Ringpaw felt horrible. I’m supposed to be the younger cat. I’m here to help him, to give him support when he’s ill and to learn from his example. Is this what it is to be in Skyclan? To watch your loved one head into battle? Some battles are bloody and horrifying, but some are more potent. Shinefang will be fine. He’s been a warrior and a mentor before, he can fight more battles. Her mind settled down. With a sigh, she met his gaze. Her thoughts were all over the place, jumping from one thought train to another, but she knew that Shinefang would be fine.
You’re being dramatic.” She whispered, not even realizing she had spoken aloud.

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!