View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2019, 11:54 AM
She Sang like the Wind

My Mood: Distracted
Default Re: WindClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidleaf View Post
Houdini snickered at his friend's failed attempt at a quiet entry and he was right about all the dust but a hunting contest? Houdini knew he wouldn't win that. He had been slacking on training his hunting abilities and had instead just waited outside the exit for the mice to burst out so he could snap their little necks swiftly and easily. He didn't want his friend to see him fail so miserably especially with his tendency to gloat. "No thanks, I think you should just hunt for now or as you said, your mentor's gonna flay you if you don't. Plus, I can just hunt more later. I'll just stay right here while you hunt to catch any rascals that try to escape." He puffed out his chest and almost on cue, a mouse began to dart out of the hole in the side of the barn and Houdini quickly smacked it down with his paw, snapping it's neck and laying it in front of himself.
"No, thanks, I think you should just hunt for now or- as you said- your mentor's gonna flay you if you don't." Houdini's voice was apologetic, but carried the whisper of something else that Emberpaw couldn't recognize. "plus," he continued, I can just hunt more later. I'll just stayright here while you hunt to catch any rascals that try to escape."

Then, the tiny pattering of mouse foot prints was cut short as Houdini quickly killed one.

"I can see what you mean," purred Emberpaw, lowering his voice to a whisper. "Well, all right, you stay here then. I'm going to see how many I can catch!"

With a statement like that, Emberpaw would usually hold his tail up high and strut like a peacock- and usually would knock something over and trip over his own paws. But, this time, he was aiming for stealth and focused on the hunt. He disappeared into the darkness and almost immediatley found one.

Edging forward with careful deliberance, he fixed his form in the way that his mentor had taught him, and wiggled his haunches. It was dark here, but he could feel his surroundings pretty well.

He leapt and caught a mouse in between his paws. He silenced it with a quick nip before it could let out any tell-tale squeaks, then picked it up and brought it over to Houdini.

"Don't eat this," he said through a mouthful of mouse, before dropping it by his friends' side. "Just keep track of them, okay?" Without waiting for an answer, he spun around and padded away.

The next couple minutes were good. He caugh four mice in total before he accidentally knocked over a twoleg shovel, and scared all the rest into their dens. Cursing himself, he padded back over to Houdini and his mouse pile.

"I... should go," he said, feeling a little guilty, but not sure if it was from disobeying his mentor and staying out here, or leaving his friend. Maybe a little of both. He scooped up his mice and nodded politely to his friend.

My son, Fogpaws' edgy finder. (Watch out- it's sharp!)

All my cats!