View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2019, 05:56 PM
the stars are aligned

My Mood: Queenly

Default Re: September Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar23 View Post
"Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't been able to hear very well," She mewed with a slight shrug. "I wanted to sit back here and talk to... well, whoever was back here with me, so we wouldn't disturb everyone else, but as you can see, there aren't many opportunities for conversation." She giggled a little at that, composing herself a moment later. There will be other Gatherings, Amberpaw reminded herself. Next time, she wouldn't choose to sit back here. She would've moved now, but she was more than content to stay and talk to Fawnpaw; he seemed like he needed a friend, anyways.

Concern flooded Amberpaw's gaze, mingling with the confusion already there. She couldn't picture Fawnpaw starting an argument. He didn't seem like the type of cat to get involved in a lot of drama in the first place, and... he definitely didn't seem like one to go around starting arguments. "Are... you sure? What happened?" All fragments of sensitivity seemed to exit her mind, and once she had regained them, she quickly followed her questions up with a more understanding response. "Actually, it - it's not that important. You're a good cat, Fawnpaw, I know you wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone."
Her explanation prompted him to look around, receiving verification that there weren't many cats around; it was precisely why he'd selected this spot, though he was quizzical of Amberpaw's reasoning. "Wait, you wanted to talk to someone, saw nobody around, and then decided to stay here?" he asked, blinking. Huh. The logic didn't align with his own, but he didn't press the issue when his thoughts were still flashing too fast to hold onto anything more than a minute. Fawnpaw's pupils darted everywhere but on Amberpaw, an uncomfortable cough erupting from him to betray his uneasiness. "It… was nothing, probably over by now anyway." Oh, he could only hope so. "Just a weird situation, I guess." A weird situation for a weird cat, his internal monologue reminded him as he winced.

The reassurance knocked the wind out of him and left him stunned, speechless. Compassion was overwhelming in this moment that he felt too guilty over to even formulate an accurate interpretation of the events. Eventually, he settled on a choked, "I don't know." He knew it had been unintentional this time, but… it hurt. No, not hurt. It was downright gut-wrenching that Amberpaw thought he was so much less morally gray than what was true. Fawnpaw didn't have the heart or words to tell her that she was wrong, so he simply let the silence pool between them — normally, he'd be hyper diligent in breaking it, but this was different.

everything about us is going to be wonderful