Thread: The Starcave
View Single Post
Old November 9th, 2020, 01:50 PM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days
My Mood: Kingly

Default Re: The Starcave

Lionstar was right behind Sootflare as they entered the cave, the light of the crystal stone illuminating an otherwise dark hole. His disappointment when Sootflare didn't actually kiss it was palpable - it would have been funny to see him get wrecked by nothing happening.

Still.. watching him fall over was pretty entertaining, and Lionstar chuckled as he joined his unconscious body by the Starstone. "I always thought you'd be smart enough to lay down first, Father."

Looking down at him, Lionstar's pelt itched with apprehension. It was the first time this entire trip he doubted himself and his choices. Did he want to give up his power..? In a way, not really. There was nothing that could compare to the authority of being in charge. Of commanding not only his Clan, but his family.

No going back, he had to remind himself as he brought himself down into a golden bun and pressed his nose to the stone.

★★★★★★

The world melted away, and he found himself standing beside Sootflare in a celestial glade. He knew this place, quite well actually, and the hair along his back bristled when a familiar tabby approached.

Behind him, a half ring of eight unidentifiable cats.

"Lionstar, Sootflare." Headless-star's voice rang throughout the clearing. A clear, deep voice that might of been soothing for some, but it made Lionstar's blood run cold. "Of all the paths that could have been taken, the one that led you here has been the most unexpected. Perhaps we have you and Fawnsqueak to thank for that." Headless-star's words were directed to Sootflare. "You have done well to serve RiverClan, Sootflare. Few long-term deputies have the honor of getting to this point. You have the admiration of your Clan and us.

"And for you.."
his attention now rested on Lionstar. "Who would have expected the oh-great Lionstar to willingly step away from power? When we first spoke, I anticipated you would destroy my Clan irreparably like you did all those moons ago.. but it appears you may have grown after all."

The distance between them closed, and Headless-star's muzzle pressed against Lionstar's forehead. "Your time as a leader is no more." The starting words made something inside Lionstar burn, an uncomfortable itch he couldn't shake. "By the power of StarClan, I revoke the lives you gained during your leadership ceremony." And like that, the wind was sucked out of him - a burning blast of pain that came with the sensation of being ripped apart. "The only life you have remaining is the natural life of a warrior." Lionstar sank to the starry ground, shaking from the pain of having his remaining lives torn from him. It felt worse than death - like his soul was sucked out of his body in fragments.

As he lay immobilized on the ground, Jerknohead continued. "Your willingless to step aside for a more qualified cat has shown your care for RiverClan.. it is refreshing to see you not blindly grab for power. With the authority of StarClan, I grant you your new name. From this moment forth, you will be known as Lionstorm. Let us hope your decision to resign will remain so." Somehow, Lionstar-- Lionstorm -- Lionstarm? had an inkling of what he meant. He could remember a spray of blood and Headless-star by his paws, motionless. The knowledge he had taken charge of a new Clan.

But that was a vague memory Lionstorm didn't care for, and he shrugged it aside as he struggled to get back to his paws. The pain was faded into a dull ache, a sensation something was missing. But he was here, so.. there was that. The whole 'soul-sucking' thing really did a number on him. He felt exhausted, like most of his energy had been zapped out by the mean Star Cats.

"Sootflare, step forward. Lionstorm, for your resignation, you have been given the ability to give Sootflare his final life - use it wisely. When you are ready, take your spot beside the final spirit."

[ @wnder ]