View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: The Starcave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsurdJinx View Post
@woly @Charmer

Juniperpaw was hurt by Daypaw's actions. Of course, she was aware that the ShadowClan cat was extremely close to Juniperpaw's mentor, even considering Geckoleaf to be their mother. However, Juniperpaw was hurting just as much, having lost her biological mother at the Gathering as well. She was taking the responsibilities of an entire Clan onto her seven-moon old shoulders, all the while fighting the resentment of her clanmates, fighting the resentment of her Clan leader even!

She glared after Daypaw, the fur on her shoulders bristling. She glanced at Shinefang, gaze softening as she looked up at the older tomcat. ``Daypaw looked at my mentor, Geckoleaf, like she was their mother. They were really close.`` Juniperpaw shook her pelt out to warm herself up, flashing Shinefang a friendly smile. ``Let's get going, shall we?`` And then she followed after Daypaw, forcing herself to calm down. After all, Daypaw was suffering as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woly View Post
daypaw wasnt focused on what they were saying, instead focused on their reflection in the small puddles. they stared at their self. if geckoleaf were here, shed be wishing them nothing but the best. shed be calming them of their nervousness with the most reassuring attitude. they didnt even have a chance to say goodbye. questions whirled through their head. why would she leave? why would they leave them alone? she had promised that shed be the one to give them their full name. this ceremony felt bitter sweet. they were surrounded by cats who cared about them though, it wasnt like they had nothing. but she..she was their other half. they laid down, closing their eyes preparing to be washed away into the realms of starclan.

As the little shecat brushed past Shinefang to enter the cave, he lingered for a moment. Shinefang was all to familiar with loss. He'd had more than his fair share. He knew that the claws of grief could cut a cat much deeper than physical claws. With a huff, he stood up and followed the two cats into the cave. Daypaw was staring at the glimmering water in the cave, no doubt having some deep, poetic thoughts about how unfair life was or whatever. With a grunt, he heaved himself closer to the water's edge where the Shadowclan medicine cat was knelt and near the water. The old tom brought his tail tip down between them and the water's edge. "Before we get started with this holy and very important ritual, how about we have a little story time?" he said, clearly not actually asking as he kept right on speaking. But he wasn't looking at Daypaw, or Juniperpaw. His gaze was set on the glimmering water. "It's the story of how Shiny went and lost his eye," he said casually, pointing to the empty socket on the right side of his face with his paw. "I was a little older than Junebug here when my mother came down with greencough in the dead of winter. It was during a minor outbreak, but enough cats got it that there wasn't enough catmint to go around. She refused to have any until she had seen that other cats were getting it first. Skyclan first. That's just how she was. Me? I was an apprentice and I only cared about not losing my mother. I begged her to take it, I begged the medicine cat to find more but there just wasn't anymore. 'She's going home to Starclan,' that's what the medicine cat said. But that wasn't good enough for me. I left camp alone in the middle of a blizzard looking for more catmint. I knew from listening to the medicine cat talk about it that sometimes it grew in twoleg gardens and somehow I managed to get down there and start looking. I must have searched a dozen gardens. I didn't find a single plant, much less a live one. Then I found a garden with a giant piece of flattened tree leaning against the fence, and there it was, shielded from the snow and ice, withered but with just a few precious leaves. As I was picking them, a much bigger kittypet surprised me. He backed me into a corner and shredded my face up good before I was able to get away. Well, most of me anyway." The old tom smiled a grim smile, a sad smile. "Someone must have noticed I was missing, because a patrol dragged me back to camp after they found me passed out on the border. They saw the catmint I was carrying in my mouth and picked it up too, but she was dead by the time I woke up." Shinefang let the silence linger for a moment, the tide of grief within him swelling just a little. He knew it would go away after a while. It always did. "Starclan has taken a lot of cats from me. Both my parents, my brothers and sisters, even...even my mate and our kits. And I'm not telling you this to say 'oh my pain and suffering is so much worse' or any of that foxdung. I wanna tell you want I learned from it all. Starclan takes and takes from us. It's just what the foxhearts do. I don't know how you too feel about Starclan, and if you think differently from me, that's fine. You're entitled to that. But what they've taken from you two have made you have to grow up fast than kits should. Be great in spite of all their taking. Sharpen your claws on fate and tear out misfortune's throat!" The tom stomped the ground in front of him, claws scraping against the rock floor as he sharply inhaled through his nose. "Be great in spite of the pain and don't let the foxhearts win... Do you understand me?" He looked right at the two medicine cats now. Had he said too much? Probably. But he wanted them to know how to go on, how to take that pain and turn it into strength and greatness. He knew they could. After all, he had.