View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2018, 04:07 PM
✴rewrite the stars✴

My Mood: Fine

Default Re: WindClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoFlicker View Post
The fire. Russel was reminded of the previous disaster that occurred before their coming to Windclan. He had forgotten about that fact. He wondered if Obsidiansky was right--did Windclan look pretty much the same to Infernosky? I mean, the cats were obviously new and young, not familiar with the former deputy, but, was the atmosphere the same? The scent? The greenery? The tall, thick-pelted chartreaux glanced backward to look at Infernosky, who was quietly taking up the rear, eyes somewhat distant and focused on nothing, brows furrowed. He wondered if it ever got tiring, making that intense face all day. Perhaps her face muscles have just grown so used to it that it felt as natural as your face would in it's most relaxed state. He let out a small sigh to himself, concerned for his strong, but troubled friend.

Meanwhile, Jitterpaw was already heading off course. She had stayed directly beside Russel for a few moments, until the lovely view of the moorlands came into view. Even though she had been traveling through endless moorlands just a day before, a youthful excitement welled up inside her. This was her land now. Her territory. Her turf. And she would spend the rest of her days exploring it, familiarizing herself with it, and defending it. Just like a home. With that thought, she gleefully veered off to the left in an airy leap and bounded about aimlessly in the tall grass, stirring up the pollen, dried underbrush and frightening all the insects into flight. She turned back to the traveling group and cut to the right of them, leaping across the path just in front of Obsidiansky, yelling, "Woohoooo!" And continued to bound in circles, all the while ignoring the loud and angry voices of the insects, making known their displeasure at having their little homes and resting places destroyed.

Infernosky watched the giddy little fae frolic about, at first displeased with her careless behavior. Then, before she opened her mouth to scorn the poor creature once again, she paused. Jitterpaw rarely seemed THIS happy, and sure, she could be charismatic all the time. There was something about seeing the pure joy in this young, brain-sick feline, who had been abused and rejected by her family in the monster and twoleg city. She was celebrating her home, and Infernosky was willing to give her that. Perspective changed, she put up with Jitterpaw's hollering, expression softening just a tad.

As a result, Jitterpaw totally missed Obsidiansky's invitation to walk up front. However, Obsidiansky's invitation made Infernosky realize just what she had done---put them all in a line. That wasn't usually how patrols went, was it? Some small details like that must have slipped her mind during her long journey back. She had, however, always organized Russelfur and Jitterpaw into a line as they traveled, with Russel or Infernosky alternating the front and back, always watching out for danger to protect Jitterpaw. The red tabby fae realized this was no longer a dangerous journey for survival, but a peaceful territory, filled only with prey and other friendly clan cats. Well, for the most part, anyway.

Now realizing how strange that instruction might have sounded to Obsidiansky. Russel had kindly rejected the offer, explaining that since he had no idea where they were going, he shouldn't be anywhere near the front. Plus, he had to keep an eye on Jitterpaw to make sure she didn't get herself lost or fall into a ditch. That then left Infernosky to respond with, "Er, yes, I believe I remember this particular pathway." With a few quick and steady strides, she came up to Obsidiansky's flank, matching his pace. Unfortunately, now that they were side by side, she felt the need to make conversation---something she had wanted to avoid. She was never good at making small talk, especially on patrols. She remembered, with some amusement, that many of the patrols she led would be dead quiet among the other cats, afraid to make a sound that might disturb the former deputy's focus. Some apprentices would complain that she would take things too seriously, and she would just frighten them back into silence. The only words that would be spoken sometimes would be orders, observations about the weather, prey, or scents. Now, things were much more lighthearted, and she wasn't sure how to react. So she kept quiet, avoiding Obsidiansky's eyes, and stiffly looked off into the forest somewhere.

Russelfur then decided to help the situation, "So, where are we off to first? A border? A training ground?"

The large grey tom was silently proud of himself for remembering such terms; only yesterday and earlier this morning had he learned some of clan cat terminology, and he was surely determined to be a quick study.
A look of amusement came over the tom’s face as he watched Jitterpaw bounding ahead, giddy in this new territory, disrupting the silence, but he didn’t mind at all. It was too quiet for him anyways- he was used to coming out here with friends, laughing and joking with them, and he wasn’t quite sure where to start with the newcomers. They hadn’t been here for long - Obsidiansky didn’t want to say anything that could be considered offensive or off-putting right now, since he didn’t want to scare them away… but he wasn’t quite sure what to say that wouldn’t scare them away. He couldn’t ask about the latest Clan gossip either - Obsidiansky listened, most of the time, and opinions were normally formed on everything - that other cats did - most of the time it was the higher ranks that opinions were formed on, but it didn’t have to be… Obsidiansky had seen cats tear apart just ordinary warriors.

If he wasn’t careful, he would soon be an object for gossip, one of those cats who was viewed a little suspiciously and with a little bit of horror like he had done something extremely wrong. For a little while, he wasn’t so sure that anyone was going to come walk up front with him - and he got ready to get used to the quiet, disrupted only by Jitterpaw’s excited shrieks and noisy movements. Russel had declined his offer as well - and that was when, to his surprise, Infernosky agreed to come up beside him. For a little while, Obsidiansky remained silent, glancing over at the fiery-furred warrior and trying to think of any appropriate conversation points.

He was about to ask her to tell him more about what Dapplestar had been like, for those who had really known her… and ask her more about her apprenticeship, and kithood… what it had been like to be deputy (when she was deputy)... all those questions that Obsidiansky had in his head, however, were quickly forgotten as a calmer, deeper voice spoke up. ”Oh, um… the borders are probably the best place to go. It’ll give you guys a chance to get more familiar with the territory.” This statement was mainly directed towards Russel and Jitter (even though the younger cat wasn’t really listening) since Infernosky had already been made familiar with the territory before.

Still, it wouldn’t hurt to look around again. Some things had changed… it was, for the most part, the same - other then the areas that were struggling to grow back some. When new-leaf came, it would be much better. After he had answered Russel’s question, the dark tom turned back to Infernosky and opened his maw to speak again. ”So… if you’re okay with talking about it… would you tell me more about what it was like, being deputy? You know - what Dapplestar was like and everything?” Obsidiansky had met the leader briefly, but like most of the Clan cats, he hadn’t really gotten to know her. Blazingstar was a sort-of friend of his, he knew about Obsidiansky’s relationship to Sagewhisker and everything, but they definitely weren’t super close.

He knew some of Blazingstar’s closer friends, and they were very nice cats… the old deputy excluded. Shrikecall was dead now - and Obsidiansky wouldn’t want to speak too badly of the older tom, but he definitely hadn’t been a great cat. It was thanks to him that Infernosky, Russel, and Jitter almost hadn’t been allowed into the Clan. Thank goodness for Blazingstar being so sensible.

The tom awaited Infernosky’s response, and hoped he hadn’t touched on a subject that was too much for her. The last thing he wanted to do was ruin their budding friendship. And, after she answered, he would think of a way to include Russel in the conversation - after all, it wouldn’t be very fair to leave the other tom out. As for Jitterpaw? She didn’t seem to care much whether or not she was being included in their conversation at the moment, she was too busy bounding ahead and appearing to have quite the time.

I mentioned on my profile that I was starting over. A fresh start is best for me right now; I've created quite a few new characters, and they will all be on my site, but not all will be used in roleplay right away. it's likely I'll bring them in more gradually.