View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2024, 10:50 PM
Crunchy Leaves

Bump Policy: One Week Please!
My Mood: Tired

Default Re: Windy Hills

| Lightningstorm |
Flock Together [Tier 3] - Active | Mind Reader - Active

The medicine cat kept an eye on the apprentice as she crouched and found herself pleased. It was clear that the paw was a quick learner, her talents being wasted on less than competent mentors. No wonder she had bound off on her own when they'd first started on this patrol. Maplepaw had no doubt had it up to her ears with the continuous disappointments that somehow kept getting promoted to warrior when the only rank change they should be seeing was to loner or kittypet. She still did not blame the leader for Cowtuft's exile... she understood why it'd had to happen... But she would never forgive the plethora of worthless cats that kept plaguing the clan and somehow kept getting away with doing little more than drain their resources and have every little thing done for them. Loathe as she was to admit it, they needed more cats like Bravebird and Silverpaw in their ranks. Hell, some more Leechscars wouldn't be bad, even if the tom had been planning how to feed her to badgers for the moon they had training together. In his defense, she had kind of deserved it.

Almond eyes on the tortoiseshell and white feline as she tasted the air, a small snort of amusement escaped her as it became clear the musky taste did not agree with her. It was most certainly an unpleasant stench, Lightningstorm could agree to that much, but after having been dealing with injuries, infection, illness, herbs, and death itself for so long, scents like these did little to faze her anymore. Yet another side effect of the path she'd chosen in life, she supposed. And yet, even through the reeking musk, the young molly clearly caught the trail of something... or somethings if the healer had to take a guess. There was something about the way she spoke that made the lithe calico believe that this she-cat was holding back, not letting her know everything she picked up on. For what reason, she hadn't a clue... but she wouldn't be bothering with prying for more yet. Rabbits was good enough of an answer for now, in any case.

"Right you are, Words. Rabbits can be found just about anywhere around WindClan. Rabbits and hares. It's important to know the difference, innit? Rabbits are smaller. Rounder. Slower, but only just, and really, it doesn't matter, as they are quick to scamper off to their warrens. You want to get as close as you can to them and try and kill them before they can get to their hiding holes. Teamwork usually assures a more successful hunt when it comes to the critters, but of course, that requires proper clanmates, now don't it?" the healer mewed, offering a cheeky smirk before she continued.

"Hares on the other paw are big, muscular, and fast. Real fast. They don't hide, but good luck catching up to one once it gains enough momentum. Now, with rabbits, you want to crouch low. Use your senses. Your ears, your eyes, your nose. The rabbit is going to be using all it has to defend itself, and you have to stay ten steps ahead. Now... we are on a hunting patrol, not a training session, and we do need to head back with prey, but I'll tell you what. You take lead here and find this rabbit. Show me how well you can track it down. I'll follow behind. If you can't catch it, there's no problem now, right? It's just your first try, and I'm not heartless enough to expect perfection. I'll try and ensure this first hunt is successful if I see it's about to get away. But who knows? If you can catch this one, might just get lucky and catch a few more this first hunt. Won't that be something to throw in your mentor's face? A good batch of prey on your first go despite being stuck with 'em?"

There was an undeniable smugness to the healer's grin at these words, a twinkle of mischief in her eyes. Maybe being shown up by other warriors wasn't a big deal for the warriors of WindClan. But being shown up by an untrained apprentice? On her first try? Oh, that would be something, now wouldn't it? Hell, Lightningstorm could still remember Firestorm's face when the healer managed to tie with her on a little hunting competition they'd had moons prior. Back when the tabby couldn't stand to look at the wiry medicine cat's face. She could only imagine the look on Word's mentor's face when the paw came back with a proper haul for the clan no thanks to them.

@wendigo [Maplepaw]
| Well... Maplepaw is officially Words. I am sorry, Lightningstorm might just be dragging her to a herb patrol next. |

WindClan HealingRoleplay TrackerCharacter Bios

Last edited by Alchemist Kitsune; March 15th, 2024 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Formatting somehow went boo!