View Single Post
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
"Well then that's a good start I suppose! And I'm sure with Daydream helping you out, you'll be able to know those plants pretty well." Curling the tip of his tail in the air, he'd continue to listen to what Shinefang had to say before he caught something that intrigued him. Looking over as them medicine cat mentioned catmint 'dangerously close' to the Syndicate border and then going on to saying that he would have to travel all the way to twoleg place to get some more. It was a dangerous and long trek to get to the twoleg place, and Grousestar didn't like the thought of his new medicine cat, even if he was previously a warrior, traveling all that way, even with a patrol. It was just not a risk he wanted to take. "You know Shine, if you don't mind me calling you that... I do think it would be safe for you to go into the former Syndicate's territory by now. Actually, I think that would be a fantastic idea to try and salvage the herbs they have left behind because surely they must have had some sort of healers in their group. Maybe you'll be able to get catmint more safely there than having to travel all the way to twoleg place." Ever since that battle at the gathering, when they did completely destroy the Syndicate and left it's remains to scatter completely, his mind has been on that vacant territory. Skyclan could use the extra land for its herbs, and even its prey. Maybe he should send a few hunting patrols out to test the waters...
Blinking out of his thoughts as Shinefang started talking again, he'd look over just as the medicine cat was chuckling, having missed what he said but chuckling along with him as if he had heard.
"Oh hm. It's fine, most of the time, though I do worry sometimes about my decision making. There's a lot more pressure with it when a whole clan is resting on your shoulders." He said with what might have been made out as a wince, but he was looking away so it would be hard to really tell what the look had been.
"That's the hope," he said, nodding at Grousestar's optimism. It seemed like the leader was hardly phased by the problem Shinefang's subpar knowledge presented. He had at most two moons to prepare for the cold and harsh weather that could bring white couch and green cough to the clan. It very well might not be enough, and Acornpaw would not be the last cat he lost before newleaf. Grousestar was either abnormally resilient in the face of adversity or too foolish to realize just how deep the foxdung that Skyclan had stepped in really was. He couldn't even say it was necessarily one or the other, but one thing he knew is that he had faith in Grousestar as a leader. He had followed him here from their old territory for good reason: the brown tabby may have be naive, but he was sensible and he cared for his clan well. Shinefang had nothing but respect for any cat who cared for his clan the way he believed it deserved to be cared for. Even so, it surprised him when the tom called him, 'Shine'. "Shinefang if you don't mind. Only the shecats can call me Shine." He played it off, like a joke, but the truth was the only two cats had ever called him Shine, his mate and his mother. Grousestar was neither.

The old tom listened intently as Grousestar suggested traveling to Dusk syndicate territory in search of herbs. He was so surprised to hear the suggestion that he actually stopped to look at Grousestar's face. Was he serious? It was a bold move if so. There may well have been herbs left over in whatever the Syndicate had that passed for a camp, but what intrigued Shinefang the most about this idea was that with their territory now unclaimed, this expedition the leader was proposing could be the first pawstep toward widening the territory. This was another thing he liked about Grousestar, the younger cat was more cunning than he let on, and full of surprises. "Hmmm. I think there's some real potential there. exploring the Dusk Syndicate territory nearly doubles the possible places to find herbs. I doubt any healers the Syndicate knew as much as a trained medicine cat about herbs and how to use them. There may be herbs that are untouched entirely! There may be herbs that don't grow in Skyclan territory at all!" The more Shinefang spoke, the more excited about the prospect he became, until his tail was raised and twitching, and his scarred face brandished a grin that looked like a grimace. "Yes! Excellent plan! But I think should still take a patrol in that case. Just because the Syndicate disbanded doesn't mean there are no bad-tempered, former members lingering in the shadows. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't fight like I used to if I run into trouble." It hurt to admit, but it was true. The old warrior was past his prime. And he couldn't risk his life foolishly now. His clan needed him. At the statement about the pressure of leadership, Shinefang nodded. "There was a time when I was young and foolish, when I thought about what a nice ring 'Shinestar' had to it. But power is a heavy burden, and I don't envy you now. Many lives rest on the decisions the leaders make in times like this. Thankfully, Skyclan is lucky enough to have a leader with a decent mind. Not like those mousebrains leading Windclan and Thunderclan." The medicine cat's teeth curled in a momentary snarl as he shook his head. "Challenging another clan to war so soon before leafbare. Blazingstar has a funny way of avenging his starved warriors: killing more of them."

Last edited by Charmer; December 7th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.