View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
Grousestar knew fully well the problems that the medicine cat phased, with them only having some knowledge on herbs, less than a fully blown medicine cat should have. But he also knew that Shinefang was the only one they had to rely on. Ebonyfrost hadn't taken up an apprentice in her time as medicine cat; there was no one in the camp fully trained in the ways of a medicine cat. So he knew that it would be useless, even detrimental, if he gave anything but hope for the medicine cat. If he made Shinefang truly feel subpar, like he wasn't doing the best he could, then he wouldn't perform as well, and may even give up on the duties leaving them in an even worse predicament than before. So yes, he would seem naive, maybe even stupid for not outright acknowledging that Shinefang had subpar knowledge in the area of herbs. But he would take that over possibly jeopardizing the medicine cat's decision to stay and medicine cat. Grousestar would never let any other cat know his way of thinking, he would let them remain thinking that he was a naive tom with his head in the cloud full of optimism and cheer because that's what kept cats happy, that's what gave him his charisma. But the second he revealed his true thinking, the way cats looked at him would change. He didn't need that right now. He needed them to remain believing that he was nothing but a ball of cheer and fun.

As Shinefang stopped, so too did the leader, looking over to look at him in the eyes, reading the surprise there but not saying anything, waiting to see what the other tom would say first. He knew there were still dangers to watch out for in the former Syndicate territory, and he knew it was a really bold move to try and make a move on the territory so soon after their dismantlement. But he believed it would greatly benefit Skyclan in the end, especially with the harshest season to come looming so near. And it also occurred to him that the other clans likely wouldn't try to claim the territory, they would have to travel a bit of a ways just to get to it and he just couldn't see them doing that in order to get prey or territory in general. Not only that, but two of them seemed to be distracted in a feud anyways, they wouldn't be paying attention.
When the medicine cat finally did speak, the leader smiled brightly, the older tom voicing his thoughts exactly. Nodding his head but not interrupted the excited spewing of Shinefang, Grousestar couldn't help but chuckle. Quietly glad that the other tom agreed his idea was a good one, and could be very beneficial. If Shinefang had doubted him, he would find doubt in his own plan as well. Shinefang was a wise cat, he had many moons under his belt, so his opinion mattered greatly to Grousestar, just the same as Auroraflame's.
"Oh most certainly, I wasn't planning on sending you out there alone especially with the possibility of some of their members remaining in their old territory. When we get back to camp, I'll organize a patrol and we can head out as soon as your ready." There was the seriousness he tried not to show too often, but he figured that Shinefang should know that he could be serious at times.
Then a light smile began to show on his muzzle again as the conversation shifted slightly to Shinefang's original question. "Yes, when I was younger I used to play with-" My younger brother.. "-other kits in the nursery, acting like the deputy, or the leader at times. I never imagined I would actually take the role. And it's not as exciting and fun like I thought it would be when I was a kit. It's a hard job that others don't quite realize. I appreciate the kind words." Glancing over as the other tom mentioned Windclan and Thunderclan, all he could do was sigh and shake his head. "It is rather foolish of them to try and go to war so soon to leaf-bare. I only hope the casualties on both sides are minimal, but I don't think stepping in to help either side will be beneficial to us. It'll only end up getting Skyclan cat's killed, and for no good reason."
"Good. Good." Shinefang's reply was distant as the old tom's mind raced with the possibilities of the expedition. Reclaiming any gathered herbs, harvesting herbs they had never had access to, the possibility of more land on which the warrior's and apprentices could hunt and feed the clan. If this worked, Skyclan could become greater and stronger than ever before. And even if the other clans objected, what could they do? The territory was too far off for them to defend. The thought unfurled just as suddenly as he realized he shouldn't be thinking like that. Medicine cats were supposed to be above all the clan rivalries and focus on the greater picture, and show loyalty to the twinkly foxhearts. He may have understood the reasoning for it, but it didn't make him love Skyclan any less. If Starclan really had an issue with that, then they should have picked a different cat. The fact that he was no longer a warrior didn't matter. He had sworn to defend his clan at the cost of his life, and he would continue to do so.

As Grousestar spoke about his days as an eager kit, playing leader and deputy Shinefang listened quietly. Sometimes it was hard to imagine the same kit who had been shaken by the loss of his brother had grown up to be the happy and confident cat he saw before him. What had happened to the leader's brother had been tragic. The medicine cat briefly wondered if his leader ever thought about whether his brother would be proud of him. Next time I have a dream, I'll have to see if Grousestar's brother would care to leave a message with me. Shinefang didn't doubt the kit was dead. It was a harsh world out there for a young cat. He ought to know. He didn't say anything about this though. Grousestar never spoke about his brother, but if Shinefang knew anything, it was that when you lost someone precious to you, they were never far from your mind. And if the loss was absent for the moment, why cut short the reprieve? "I don't speak kindly. I speak candidly. If I thought you were making bad decisions, you'd know. If Blazingstar and Snowstar were right here with us my opinion would be no differnt. I'd tell them what mousebrains they were being to their faces. You're right to keep Skyclan out of that foolishness." Shinefang rarely saw the need to filter his thoughts. His younger days of stressing and fretting about other cat's opinions were long gone. At his age, it just didn't seem important. It was by far, his favorite part of growing old. "Shall we continue on this hunt in the mean time?" he asked, wondering if the leader would prefer to put together that patrol sooner rather than later. "We could finish up in the territory today and set off for Dusk Syndicate territory first thing," he supposed thinking out loud. "It'll give us the full day to explore."