View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: StarClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust View Post
Spinning on her heels with no effort at all, the translucent warrior quickly redirected herself to fall back into step with Shinefang, a gentle purr rumbling deep in her chest. Padding up next to the old medicine cat, Slatepelt brushed up against his side once more and snorted as she heard Shinefang's comment. "Oh definitely. It's like your den, but more organized. All your wilted leaves go there." The feline chuckled and flicked her tail between his shoulder blade shaking her head with a gentle sigh. "Starclan hunts together, so there are no borders or camps - sometimes it's nice to just sit back and watch like we're there at the Sea stones though. We can watch all the clans gather here, or there, or where-ever really." She meowed matter-of-fact, although a gleam of sadness could be detected in her pale yellow orbs. Slatepelt had never actually been to the new territory. Her death occurred long before Skyclan even had an inkling of other clans existing. Long before the second evil era - long before Skyclan's past two leaders had even been born. Fluffing out her pelt at the thought, Slatepelt couldn't help but cast a weary glance to her former mate. Had she left him for that long? Another pang of sadness clawed at her heart and for a brief moment, the Starclan warrior wished she could turn back time even if it meant only spending another moon with Shinefang. Perhaps he felt the same way, but they would be able to share another lifetime once Starclan called him. A selfish thought, but Slatepelt was proud of her mate and truly wished him a long life. Blinking large yellow eyes, she pressed herself up against Shinefang and entwined her tail with his, guiding him towards one of the large rocks. "Tell me," she whispered briskly, "What's it like in the new territory? Is the prey plentiful? The dens warm? Apprentice's still causing trouble?" A gentle purr rumbled once more in her chest at the thought.
(Sorry. Been busy and wanted to do this right).

Shinefang gave a scoffing laugh at Slatepelt's joke. In spite of the fact that she was a serious warrior, she had always been a bit of a goof. As they approached the stones, he felt a melancholic pain. Really, in the long run, their time together had been brief. So brief. Too brief. The tom had seen the end of his hundredth moon now. He had only been a bit short of thirty moons when his mate had left him all alone. Shinefang had lived through the same amount of time they'd had together twice and then some. And it had never stopped hurting. It had gotten easier to live with the hurt, but it had never gone. Looking at her now... she was every bit as young and lovely as she had been when... and look at him now? He was old, and scarred, and could barely groom his own pelt. As much as he knew he'd claw a cat to pieces for saying these very words, he was an elder. He'd spent his life without Slatepelt, and though he'd been a great warrior and was enjoying his time learning to be a medicine cat, to have had just one more moo with her... he'd have given it all back without a second thought. But how could she feel the same about him now? He had grown old and bitter while she remained young.

Her question drew him from his thoughts and he paused, mulling it over. "Same as any, I suppose. Prey is plentiful in greenleaf and scarce in leafbare, dens are dens, and apprentices are apprentices. It's all well and good. But it isn't home... I miss going to visit our kits," he added softly. When they had all left him, he would visit their graves nearly everyday. He'd bring bits of wool for the kits and flowers for her and leave in all on the mounds that marked their graves. He's talk to them. Tell the kits stories and Slatepelt about the latest clan gossip. But they never spoke back to him. Soon he started coming every quarter moon, then every moon, then every few moons until the grass and flowers grew over the spots so much he could hardly tell where the mounds had been. He had gone to the spot once more, just before the clan had moved on. He hadn't said anything. He'd already said goodbye once. No one had answered. "How... how are out kits?" Shinefang asked his mate sadly. "Do they miss me? ...Do they know me?"

Last edited by Charmer; February 9th, 2018 at 09:15 PM.