View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Lovable Cannibal

My Mood: Twisted

Default Re: SkyClan Leader's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raywood View Post

When he was invited into the den, Rabbitfluff hesitated, peering over his shoulder at the rest of the clearing to ensure no one had spotted him, as he surely didn't want rumors spreading in reference to his visit to Grousestar. This was strictly business when he had concerns to voice, ones he imagined Grousestar had already weighed in his decision to go along with the strangers, yet he was wondering why the leader opted to push them aside in favor of helping them. Although he liked to envision he was, he recognized that he wasn't the most intelligent member of SkyClan and therefore was open to the possibility that Grousestar had identified something worthwhile in the conquest to free the Clans of the evil that gripped them, if there were Clans at all. Determining that nobody was acting as a witness, Rabbitfluff stepped inside a few paces but didn't shuffle too far, offering an explanation, "I don't plan on staying long." He doubted Grousestar would be changing his mind anytime soon, nor did he believe either of them would make strides of progress by talking at length; this was to be a brief conversation, a voicing of fears about the future.

Meanwhile, he wasn't sure what to think of Grousestar, who seemed perfectly content this evening with no regard for the huge journey ahead of them. Depending on the danger they might encounter, that alone could be what ended the majority of SkyClan, or worse, the travelers would go missing and never heard from again. "Please understand," his meow wavered slightly with emotion before he cleared his throat, removing the lingering trace of self-consciousness, "as a warrior who has lost over half his family, this is difficult for me," a pause, something in his tone softening, "and I can imagine it is difficult for you as well." Not only did Grousestar had the safety of the entire Clan in his paws, but he was basing this off of two personal stories. The bright side of it was that he didn't have a lot to lose, serving as a double-edged sword--he had to protect what little he had left, which was his sister (who he regretfully didn't know well) and the Clan that'd been here for him since he was a kit. Both of those were at stake and he knew he'd have to learn to accept that, yet it was a terribly painful thing to acknowledge.

"Alright," Rabbitfluff started with a hint of a sigh clinging, "I suppose that's fair. We don't need any form of reciprocation from them, but with that said, this could result in neutrality or a complete disaster, should the stranger be dishonest or trying to trick us or lead us into a trap." He didn't see where the positive could lie because they would gain nothing, or they would face negative consequences. Flicking his gaze to Grousestar's, the tremble returned, "You care about your clanmates, you've said it yourself and prove it everyday." And with that said, he was certain Grousestar wouldn't intentionally expose them to threats, but it was an immensely brave risk to take when there was so much that could twist it into misfortune. Living in isolation had served them well, but he guessed he couldn't comment on that aspect when he hadn't the experience to claim it would be a foolish move, not having resided anywhere else.

Shame nagged at him, and he lowered his eyes. "I recognize we're not cowards, collectively speaking." It was tempting to remain behind and forfeit his place on the journey, since he wasn't confident his presence would aid them; in fact, it could do the opposite. Guarding the camp wasn't appealing, but he wondered if it would be better than the alternative.
Green eyes filling with a bit of confusion as he saw that Rabbitfluff was hesitating to come into his den, he again thought back to the idea that cat's treat him different now that he was leader. The tom wasn't nervous to speak to him, just because he was a leader right? He certainly hoped not, he wanted his warriors to be as open as possible to him, not nervous to speak to him because he held the title of 'leader'. Perhaps it was something else, Rabbitfluff didn't seem like the type of cat that would shy away from speaking to a cat of higher rank, but the thought was still in his brain.
At hearing that the warrior wouldn't be staying long, he simply dipped his head, respecting that he likely wished to be doing something else rather than speaking to him. "I understand, but please make yourself comfortable while you're here." Lifting his head now, he would curl his tail close to his side, ready to continue on with the conversation.

Despite what cat's may think, Grousestar wasn't an open book, he didn't freely express his emotions like other cat's might believe. Yes, he is always happy, cheerful, polite, but those were not the only emotions this cat could feel. Just because he didn't show fear, nervousness, apprehension, outwardly, did not mean that he didn't feel them, he just knew that, as a leader, you must keep a mask for the better of a clan. If he went around showing that he was scared that this journey might be right, if he showed any hint of doubt, then the cat's of the clan would notice and would immediately feel doubtful as well.
Grouse believed that they would pull through this on top, but that did not mean that he wasn't worried about the journey.
Ears perking up as Rabbitfluff spoke, he maintained a smile as he politely listened to him, nodding his head in understanding. "I understand your fear Rabbitfluff, trust me I do. You're more than welcome to stay in the camp if you wish, it will be safer here." His tone was as soft as ever as he spoke to the warrior and the look in his eyes carried a deep tone of understanding. "I have lost much of my family as well, including one of my most dearest of friends, so I know that fear of losing even more, I understand it, and no one would blame you if you wanted to stay here in camp."

Flicking the tip of his tail as the conversation moved on, he nodded his head and glanced away momentarily at what Rabbitfluff brought up next. And for a second, Grousestar had nothing to say. It was chipping at his confidence a bit, but he forced it away. He couldn't doubt himself, not with the journey tomorrow. He needed to be confident in his choice for the clan. "They are telling the truth. I can feel it and I can see it. And I think you forget Rabbitfluff, if we save these cat's and restore order to their clans.. They will be our allies. Should we ever need assistance for some reason, they could be there for us. While I don't particularly like to think about it, these cat's.. They would be in our debt. So in a way, there is a 'prize' in doing this if you may call it that. If that eases your mind any."
That was one thing that Grousestar hated, doing something good for another cat and holding it over their head, waiting for payback, but he's recognized that many cat's like to do this. A reward for their good deeds, and if that helps to calm the nerves of some of his warriors about his decision, he would mention it. But never would he do that to the clans. He didn't want them in his debt, he simply wanted to help, he didn't want them repaying their 'debt' to him.

"No, we're not, not you, not me, not any warrior, apprentice, queen, kit or elder. So again, if it would calm your nerves any, you have the opportunity to stay back and guard the camp. That will not make you a coward, I promise you. If anything, it takes guts to chose that rather than going off into battle. Heck, maybe I'll even put you in charge of the camp while we're gone." Purred out the tom, his meal getting colder the longer he spoke.

Credit to the wonderful Endless on WCO for my profile picture! Wonderful picture of Hannibal <3
Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?