View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2016, 07:08 PM
the stars are aligned

My Mood: Queenly

Default Re: SkyClan Leader's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
Green eyes filling with a bit of confusion as he saw that Rabbitfluff was hesitating to come into his den, he again thought back to the idea that cat's treat him different now that he was leader. The tom wasn't nervous to speak to him, just because he was a leader right? He certainly hoped not, he wanted his warriors to be as open as possible to him, not nervous to speak to him because he held the title of 'leader'. Perhaps it was something else, Rabbitfluff didn't seem like the type of cat that would shy away from speaking to a cat of higher rank, but the thought was still in his brain.
At hearing that the warrior wouldn't be staying long, he simply dipped his head, respecting that he likely wished to be doing something else rather than speaking to him. "I understand, but please make yourself comfortable while you're here." Lifting his head now, he would curl his tail close to his side, ready to continue on with the conversation.

Despite what cat's may think, Grousestar wasn't an open book, he didn't freely express his emotions like other cat's might believe. Yes, he is always happy, cheerful, polite, but those were not the only emotions this cat could feel. Just because he didn't show fear, nervousness, apprehension, outwardly, did not mean that he didn't feel them, he just knew that, as a leader, you must keep a mask for the better of a clan. If he went around showing that he was scared that this journey might be right, if he showed any hint of doubt, then the cat's of the clan would notice and would immediately feel doubtful as well.
Grouse believed that they would pull through this on top, but that did not mean that he wasn't worried about the journey.
Ears perking up as Rabbitfluff spoke, he maintained a smile as he politely listened to him, nodding his head in understanding. "I understand your fear Rabbitfluff, trust me I do. You're more than welcome to stay in the camp if you wish, it will be safer here." His tone was as soft as ever as he spoke to the warrior and the look in his eyes carried a deep tone of understanding. "I have lost much of my family as well, including one of my most dearest of friends, so I know that fear of losing even more, I understand it, and no one would blame you if you wanted to stay here in camp."

Flicking the tip of his tail as the conversation moved on, he nodded his head and glanced away momentarily at what Rabbitfluff brought up next. And for a second, Grousestar had nothing to say. It was chipping at his confidence a bit, but he forced it away. He couldn't doubt himself, not with the journey tomorrow. He needed to be confident in his choice for the clan. "They are telling the truth. I can feel it and I can see it. And I think you forget Rabbitfluff, if we save these cat's and restore order to their clans.. They will be our allies. Should we ever need assistance for some reason, they could be there for us. While I don't particularly like to think about it, these cat's.. They would be in our debt. So in a way, there is a 'prize' in doing this if you may call it that. If that eases your mind any."
That was one thing that Grousestar hated, doing something good for another cat and holding it over their head, waiting for payback, but he's recognized that many cat's like to do this. A reward for their good deeds, and if that helps to calm the nerves of some of his warriors about his decision, he would mention it. But never would he do that to the clans. He didn't want them in his debt, he simply wanted to help, he didn't want them repaying their 'debt' to him.

"No, we're not, not you, not me, not any warrior, apprentice, queen, kit or elder. So again, if it would calm your nerves any, you have the opportunity to stay back and guard the camp. That will not make you a coward, I promise you. If anything, it takes guts to chose that rather than going off into battle. Heck, maybe I'll even put you in charge of the camp while we're gone." Purred out the tom, his meal getting colder the longer he spoke.
Although he wasn't opposed to lingering in the leader's presence, but he didn't think it would be very polite to bother Grousestar over extremely trivial matters, ones that wouldn't make a difference when the sunshine splashed across SkyClan's camp tomorrow; by then, the plan would already be in motion and whatever resulted from it would simply be. He still didn't expect to change Grousestar's opinion by the end of this conversation but hoped he managed to voice something of value to him in hopes they would proceed with caution on their journey.

"Will it?" he meowed indecisively, questioning the logic but understanding where Grousestar was coming from. "While I don't have a solid grasp on who will be staying and who will be leaving, the camp would hardly be securing if it is nobody but myself and a few other warriors. It would be a decent opportunity for loners, rogues, or..other ..undesirables, to launch and attack." On one side, at least a battle within camp would be familiar on some level, whereas dangers they encountered on the journey could take them by surprise.

It wasn't that Rabbitfluff felt shy around authority, but it was the nature of his visit that held him back; there was a careful boundary between expressing his worries and insulting Grousestar's intelligence, the latter being what he wanted to avoid for the moment (there was a time and a place, and this wasn't it.) Despite the tom's outward obliviousness and cheerful attitude that never appeared to waver, he didn't question his mental capabilities and apparently, StarClan didn't either when they decided he was the one fit to be leader. On the topic, Rabbitfluff inquired, "Has StarClan spoke to you or Ebonypaw recently?" He wouldn't press for an answer, aware certain pieces of information were better omitted when he didn't have the same connection to their ancestors as a leader and a medicine cat did. Returning to what Grousestar offered, the young warrior finally shrugged his shoulders, feeling trapped and defeated by the choiceless choice that was handed to him on a silver platter. Stay and be in danger, or leave and be in danger. There was no right decision, and it seemed to be luck and chance. "I've not determined what I'd prefer to do, though I continue to fear I'd struggle to pull my weight." With that in mind, perhaps he'd decline on traveling.

With not much else to say on the issue since Grousestar had already drawn the conclusion they were telling him the truth, Rabbitfluff opted to let that go since he supposed he would have to put faith in his judgment until proven it was faulty. It was true he hadn't led SkyClan astray before, but then again, he hadn't been leader for more than a moon. "I don't know them well, I must confess," he meowed after a pause, "so I don't have enough experience with them to beg to differ." The thought of allies was appealing, sort of, his hesitance stemming from the geographical barriers. "These allies would be quite far away, and.. with this alone as an indication, we will be coming to their aid far more than what they will have to come to ours." It was a neutral statement, and he didn't mean anything by it aside from pointing out the nature of the impending relationship. "Or if we do relocate closer to them..." he trailed off, shaking his head. That would usher in a new age of problems that they could face when or if it happened.

Fur fluffing in alarm, his reply was a short, stern, and semi-panicked, "No." Being in charge of those who didn't travel would prove to be an impossible and stress-inducing task, and he didn't want to be responsible. Clearing his throat once more, Rabbitfluff elaborated, "I believe you could appoint someone better qualified than me, but I appreciate the gesture." It would be the perfect job for Auroraflame, being the deputy, but he would understand if Grousestar would rather have her company on the journey than forcing her to stay behind.

everything about us is going to be wonderful