Thread: Other Clans
View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2017, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Other Clans

I do really like that this new series is pulling us into Shadowclan a lot more. It's a nice change of pace. I don't like, however, that they seem to be making it seem intentionally chaotic and dark. Reading Yellowfang's Secret (which I am in the middle of right now) Shadowclan actually seems VERY honorable and collected. And while they do seem incredibly fierce and intimidating they aren't inherently evil and in fact view Thunderclan as being the ones that would come in and attack. I'm not sure if there's supposed to be some kind of development for Shadowclan between Yellowfangs life and Violetkits, but the clan seems to have changed a great deal.

There are a few stories in the other clans that seem interesting. Like Crowfeather's other kids, that hate their siblings SO much for seemingly no reason. Or Tawnypelt. I've noticed that they give us hints at a cats story and what COULD be fantastic character development and plot depth instead becomes throw away characters with a character flaw.

I just find it disappointing that the other clans are not used to their full potential. They could add so much more depth and heart to the books by granting us stakes in EVERY clan. Think about reading about a battle, knowing, deeply, the cats on both sides. Knowing both feel they have the right to be fighting. Knowing and relating to them and being heartbroken at EVERY death and not just the deaths on one side. Everything would have so much more weight to it. And I think that would make the books even better.