by BEAR.
Last post by Marigoldwhisper
Today 06:30 AM

Old November 30th, 2022, 04:44 AM
Indefinite Hiatus

My Mood: Talented
Default Re: On The Rise [Private]

DUSKTALON

Dusktalon let out a sigh as the little calico spoke. How amusingly ignorant she was. He did not move as the apprentice stalked up to him, simply met her green gaze with his own copper colored one.
When the young cat finished speaking, he simply nodded.
"It's true that Hawkblaze would not intentionally lie to you. He was young, and ignorant of the status of his siblings. As for not giving the medicine cat a chance, even the most skilled of medicine cats cannot fix the deformities that my children were born with. Hawkblaze was the only healthy kit in the litter. He was meant to be my true successor. His mother left after the death of the rest of our kits. I know not where she has gone, I cannot see her from here," Dusktalon explained, yet again putting on his most sorrowful expression to simulate the grief he should have felt about the whole thing.
"You are correct, Hawkblaze is a good cat. But he cannot teach you some of the things you will require to be a warrior. After all, he doesn't believe in any of this," he continued, gesturing to the Dark Forest around them with his tail.
"He lacks belief in Starclan because of how often they return cats from the dead. He thinks that death is just a long nap, and that all cats will return. He does care, yes, but he is still ignorant of important information on many topics," Dusktalon finished, watching Tulippaw to gauge her reaction. He put on a soft, friendly smile as he looked at the young cat.
"Now I don't know about the rest of Windclan, but I do appreciate you. A speck of beauty in this dreary, awful place is a special treat indeed," he praised before tilting his head.
"If you are curious, I could tell you of another of the cats who was sent here for doing something considered wrong by Starclan. The poor dear has been so sad for so long."
~Shadowclan~ Spiritfire ~

I apologize for any delay in my replies, I work nightshift at the hospital.
Posting Schedule: Mon-RC | Tues-ThC | Thurs-WC | Fri-ShC

Want more info on my characters? Check here!
Old December 2nd, 2022, 08:12 PM

Bump Policy: I'm not sure yet.
My Mood: Dreaming

~ TULIPPAW OF WINDCLAN ~

He wasn't reacting. Why wasn't he reacting? Okay, technically he was, but not in the way Tulippaw had anticipated. Is he not listening to me? Anger briefly quelled her confusion and fear, and she glared directly into his copper eyes. Dusktalon seemed calm. Too calm. He was a lying, fox-hearted kit-murderer who had been banished to the Place of No Stars. He wasn't supposed to be acting like this. Cats who were sent to this place were supposed to be evil, bloodthirsty, and desperate for violence. That's what Oakshade had always said. So, why was he not acting that way? Was any part of what he said true? The question sent many conflicting emotions careening through the WindClan apprentice. She wanted to deny it - she couldn't trust him, and Hawkblaze wasn't a liar - but her previous inquiries returned. What if Dusktalon was telling the truth? What if Hawkblaze had misinterpreted his father's killings, not knowing his siblings were sick? It didn't make sense how nice Dusktalon was. But I can't let him know that! she thought determinedly. He was still from the Dark Forest. He was not to be trusted.

Yet his words were getting to her. So, Hawkblaze didn't know. He couldn't have known. Then why had Dusktalon talked so badly of his son before? He said Hawkblaze was lying, and now he's saying he was ignorant. Her delicate paws tingled with suspicion. He could be lying. Or was he angry over the stories Hawkblaze told about him? Not lies, but not correct, either? Tulippaw shouldn't even be thinking this. Dusktalon was evil. No matter what the story was, he had killed innocent kits. The medicine cat hadn't been able to treat them, though, and they'd been born... deformed, according to him. What? He said they were sick, not deformed. And deformed cats could still be functioning members of the Clan. If not warriors, they could serve as medicine cats or help around camp. Pheasantgaze had drilled beauty into her head, but she had also included the importance of accepting every member, no matter their scars, blood, or disabilities. They were WindClan, which meant they were supposed to be united. Together.

Dusktalon was making no sense. Tulippaw continued to glare at him. He was so contradictory; his story was all over the place. But that look in his eyes... He looked so sad. So upset. I shouldn't be feeling like this! I need to get away from here! But the chocolate-brown tabby looked genuine. And, against her will, Tulippaw felt her spine uncurl until it was no longer arching. Her claws slid back into their sheaths, and her fur lay in its usual sleek, perfect pelt, albeit clumped by the damp mist and the disgusting, dirty ground. Did he think he had to kill the kits? The thought sent a wave of nausea through her. She couldn't leave. There were so many questions she had despite every instinct and everything she knew to be right screaming at her to run in the opposite direction and tell someone about the big bad Dark Forest cat terrorizing her in her dreams.

The dainty calico she-cat's thoughts were tossed aside as Dusktalon revealed something incredibly shocking. Hawkblaze doesn't believe in the Place of No Stars - or StarClan?! That had to be a lie! Every cat except Outsiders believed in them! He has to be lying! But she couldn't help but think of how wayward her mentor was. He had changed, but he had always been a little odd. Was Dusktalon telling the truth? He might be. No fox-hearted liar could look as genuine as he. But he kept contradicting himself. Tulippaw took a few deep breaths to calm herself, though she thought it would be impossible to quell the pounding of her heart. I'll continue listening to him and see what he has to say. Hawkblaze wasn't teaching her properly? A cat who didn't believe in StarClan couldn't. Tulippaw had thought he was a good mentor, but if he wasn't teaching her things he should... It made more sense now. He's always been missing something: how to treat me properly. And Tulippaw deserved the best education there was!

Dusktalon's praise only buoyed her thoughts, and despite herself, she stood taller and prouder. She was the most beautiful cat there was. Not only in the Clans, but in the entire world. And she was certainly the most beautiful thing this place had ever seen. Her lip curled as she looked at it. She didn't deserve to be here. It was a privilege for Dusktalon to be speaking with her. A privilege for him, not for her, of course. And now he wanted to tell her another story. Tulippaw took a step back and tried to gather her thoughts. They were so scattered, so confused, but she was able to frantically rake them to a conclusion: Dusktalon was a bad cat, but as Hawkblaze had said, he was a good warrior. His intentions hadn't been as bad as Tulippaw had thought, though they were still bad. And he treated her properly. What did he have to teach her, she wondered? Did she want to learn from him? What if it benefitted her in some way? He's from the Place of No Stars! I'd only take extra training from StarClan. Yet if she could be smarter than everyone else...

To clear her thoughts, Tulippaw sat down and began to groom her short, fluffy fur. Smoothing it helped to calm her, and once it was beginning to look adequate once more, she lifted her head and fixed her rich green gaze on him. "I need to get some things straight before you tell me anything else," she meowed slowly but firmly. It was still nerve-wracking, being in his presence, but she felt more confident now. "Your story has a lot of contradictions. Deformed cats aren't sick, and being deformed doesn't mean they have to be killed. What exactly was different about them? What am I missing out on? Why did you say Hawkblaze was bad before, but now you're saying he's good? And most importantly, why should I trust you? How do I know you'll tell me the truth? I have half a mind to leave and tell Hawkblaze right now." But if he doesn't believe, will he be able to protect me? Tulippaw shoved the thought down. I've lived without my family for moons. I can take care of myself. And this is a dream, right? At least, I'm visiting this wretched place while I'm asleep. She inhaled deeply and regretted it, almost choking on the scents of death and decay. I can always ask him in the morning.

"All I want is the truth - and to not be here for any longer than I have to," Tulippaw finished. Was that enough for Dusktalon? Hopefully, he'd start giving her some straight answers.

@Rizo

How Would You Describe My Writing Style?

New and Improved Character Bios!
Old December 3rd, 2022, 06:43 AM
Indefinite Hiatus

DUSKTALON

There it was. He had seeded just enough curiosity to change her attitude, to insist upon staying to receive answers. Internally, Dusktalon felt a wide, malicious grin bloom, but he dared not show it. Instead, he simply nodded, dipping his chocolate striped head respectfully.
"Of course, I apologize. I should have elaborated, I'm sure that the way I explained things is confusing," he replied, closing his blazing copper eyes for a moment. Sitting back up tall, he observed the calico. Her fur had fallen flat, and her previous outrage and disgust had been replaced with confidence and intrigue. Good, exactly what he wanted.
"I should explain that not all deformities are illnesses, and not all illnesses can be cured. The deformity I speak of that occurred to my kits was internal. They would writhe and thrash in pain consistently, crying out and screaming from something hurting them on the inside. The medicine cat back then, he didn't know what was happening to them, or how to fix it. He told me he didn't anticipate any of them except Hawkblaze, who was unafflicted, to make it to warrior rank. In order to prevent my children from living horrible, pain filled, short lives I decided that they deserved mercy and not to suffer," Dusktalon explained, weaving his story skillfully. He looked away, planting his gaze on the stone he sat atop.
"As for Hawkblaze, I cannot deny that he is a skilled warrior. I should know, I trained him. However he never took the time to actually speak with me about what had occurred. Instead, he wove his own tale in his mind, determined to turn the entire clan against me, to scorn my name. My anger at Hawkblaze stems from pain. That my own son would do such a thing, it hurt," the dark tabby continued, bringing every distraught, dismayed feeling he could to flood his gaze at he looked at Tulippaw once more. Now was the time, to really sink the mental claws into the young cat's brain. His finishing maneuver. This would very much sway the young she-cat, he was certain.
"Hawkblaze is a good warrior, but he's a bad cat."

[ @TheNyanCatMinecart ]

Old December 3rd, 2022, 02:54 PM

~ TULIPPAW OF WINDCLAN ~

Tulippaw wasn't as inclined to run away as she had been before, but that didn't mean she was going to let her guard down. She watched Dusktalon like a hawk, prepared to react to any sudden movement. But he still seemed calm, dipping his head to her... respectfully? Like a Clan cat would dip their head to their leader. He thinks I deserve respect, which I do, of course. He should understand that a beautiful, loyal, perfect cat like Tulippaw was far above him in every aspect. Except strength, she thought, suppressing a shudder as she observed his wide, brawny frame and hefty build. He could crush her in seconds. She doubted the Dark Forest cat would attack her, but what if he did? I'll run away. I'm not strong enough to fight an enemy like him yet. The calico did not have time for more thoughts, for Dusktalon began to speak. He'd better have a good explanation. His story had been scattered and all over the place, so although it seemed plausible, Tulippaw had her suspicions on whether the dark-furred tom was telling the truth.

Surprisingly, Dusktalon's words made sense. Tulippaw had desperately wanted there to be a reason for her to deny what he was saying and leave. Her eyes hurt from straining to see into the shadows, and her pelt crawled at the sheer grossness and evilness of the Dark Forest. Dusktalon isn't the only cat here. The thought sent a horrified shiver through her. What other evil cats were lurking in the shadows? What if they attacked her? She had focused only on Dusktalon, forgetting to consider the other rule-breaking, StarClan-denying, bloodthirsty cats who dwelled here. He likes me. He won't let them harm me. Right? Tulippaw was unable to dwell on that disturbing question for long, though, because her worries were chased out by the horrible story Dusktalon told. Her rich, vivid green eyes opened wide with horror, and her claws impulsively sank into the disgusting earth. Horrible understanding filled her as the disconnected pieces of his story fell into place.

The deformity wasn't external, but internal. The kits had been in constant pain, unable to live long or become warriors, and the little lives they'd had had been full of suffering. Not even the medicine cat could do anything. That was why Dusktalon had killed them. Tulippaw swallowed hard, feeling sick to her stomach, and not just because of how unclean the Dark Forest was. "That's horrible," she whispered, the mostly-white fur on her spine rising. And Hawkblaze... He'd been lucky to not be born with it, but his relationship with his father had been strained because of what he'd done. A scenario came to the dainty she-cat, unwanted and unbidden: What if her siblings had been born that way, and she'd been the only survivor? The thought made her feel so violently nauseous that briefly, she wondered if she'd throw up. But her determination not to - how disgusting and improper would she look? - kept the bile down, and all that reflected across her face was a mortified expression.

She didn't want to imagine it, but she could: Asterpaw and Fogpaw - no, Asterkit and Fogkit - writhing in pain and constantly begging for it to stop, but it couldn't. Tulippaw would never have been able to deal with her siblings in such constant agony, and she knew her parents wouldn't have, either. But would Oakshade kill them? She swayed on her paws. He... he wouldn't. No matter what, he'd never lay a claw on their pelts. He follows the warrior code. He wouldn't have wanted to end up in the Place of No Stars. But what if that had been the only way? It was too revolting to think of, but if it had... I would hate Oakshade, wouldn't I? Or would I have understood? No, no, she couldn't think of anything like that. Putting her family in the paws of a situation like the one Dusktalon was describing was too difficult, and it felt disrespectful, almost. Her family was... had been... perfect. Stuff like that happened to unfortunate cats.

Hawkblaze is a good warrior, but he's a bad cat. The sentence spoke volumes to Tulippaw, and her head snapped up, her gaze fixing on Dusktalon intensely. The pieces in her head were fitting into place, and it didn't take long for it to all make sense. Tulippaw felt surprisingly relaxed. She shouldn't be - she should be complaining about how sticky her paws were and how a perfect cat like her didn't deserve to hear such horrific tales. But she knew that there were other things at play - more important things. All her attention was on Dusktalon, and there were things to learn from this interaction. Dark Forest cats are not to be trusted at all costs, Oakshade had said. Tulippaw felt a brief flicker of doubt. Was she really going against her beloved father's words of wisdom? Why was she trusting someone so evil? It's because I have evidence. Solid evidence. And... She took a breath. My family isn't here anymore. I have to trust my own instincts.

"Hawkblaze was never perfect. He's blunt, rude, and doesn't treat me the way he should. He's gotten better... but you're right. He's not a good cat. He doesn't care about my pelt or my beauty, and he expects me to know things I don't. But he's a good mentor. He teaches me well, although you say there are some things he can't teach me." She frowned. "You say he doesn't believe in StarClan or the Place of No Stars. That's featherbrained! I don't know how any cat wouldn't. I don't know for sure yet if he does or doesn't, but I don't want to miss out on anything." The small she-cat paused for a moment, then continued boldly, "I don't blame him for not liking you. But I guess..." Was she really saying this? "I guess I can understand why you did what you did. But I still don't blame StarClan for putting you here." No one who killed kits was good, surely? Even if it was a mercy killing. Why is this situation so complicated? And why do I have to get involved in this? For a moment, Tulippaw cursed getting Hawkblaze as a mentor. None of this would be happening to me if Twilightstar had given me someone else!

But it was happening, and there was nothing she could do to prevent it, just as she hadn't been able to save her friends or her family from going missing - and dying, in Barkpaw's case. She couldn't do anything about her Clan's skewed perspective on cleanliness, either. It's something I must live with. Something I have to deal with on my own and with my friends. They'd understand. Tulippaw looked directly into Dusktalon's copper eyes. I'm sorry, Oakshade. You were a smart and handsome cat. You taught me well. But, if I am to be the best, most perfect WindClan warrior, I have to do this.

"What can you teach me that Hawkblaze can't?"

@Rizo

Old January 1st, 2023, 03:23 AM
Indefinite Hiatus

DUSKTALON

Putting on his friendliest smile, Dusktalon blinked his shining copper eyes. Yes, the ploy had worked. Now he could mold this young cat into the perfect tool to enact his plans. He considered the question for a while, tail tip flicking in thought.
"I can teach you the true intentions of StarClan and the real purpose of the Dark Forest. I can teach you to use your size and build to your advantage against opponents more like me. I can teach you true defense, techniques I never taught Hawkblaze," he spoke finally, his grumbling voice calm and level. He looked over the young cat again for a moment before adding a final thing.
"I can teach you the true histories of the clans."
That was easily the most intriguing lesson he could offer, after moons of observing the clans from the Place of No Stars. Finally he could teach this young cat about the wrongs committed against him, get her to clear his name and provide the pathway to resurrection. The shadowy mist around his paws swirled as his tail disturbed them, the only sign of anything close to excitement from the dark chocolate tabby.
Finally, Dusktalon slowly rose to his paws, the white fur and jagged pale scar on his neck reflecting the glow of the fungi that clung to the trees nearby.
"Ah, but I have given you much to consider. I do not need an answer right now. Think about the offer of training for a few days. when you are ready to answer, you simply have to dream yourself here," he explained, turning away from the calico apprentice. This was truly his test of the young cat. Would she lean the logical direction and contemplate her options? Or would she react on instinct? He chuckled internally to himself as he padded a few steps away, as if he were going to leave.

[ @TheNyanCatMinecart I am so sorry for how long this took ]

Old January 3rd, 2023, 05:37 PM

~ TULIPPAW OF WINDCLAN ~

Tulippaw's heart thudded, and her throat was as dry as grass under a hot greenleaf sun. Had she really just said that? But what other choice did she have? Dusktalon had made a good argument, and... she had to be the best. Everything was different now. But this is the Dark Forest! The Place of No Stars! every instinct cried. This is where cats who were too horrible for StarClan go to rot for the rest of time! And now a cat as loyal, faithful, perfect, and beautiful as her was standing in this forsaken wasteland, surrounded by dark trees and showered with all the evil glory of a starless sky. Yet as she looked at Dusktalon, with his friendly smile and copper eyes that glinted like twin beacons in the darkness, she figured he wasn't as bad as the others who walked this place. Right? He'd killed kits, but he'd killed them for an admittedly good reason. Twilightstar had also had a reason for executing him, and StarClan had been totally just in throwing him in this stinking, awful place.

Hawkblaze had painted a frightful vision of Dusktalon in the calico apprentice's head. Her mentor had made him sound like an evil, heartless kit-killer who cared more about strength than morality. Like, come on. Everyone knew beauty and manners were the most important qualities of a cat, along with loyalty and faith, and killing kits was just plain horrible. But there was more to Dusktalon than met the eye. Tulippaw would've been out of this place in the blink of an eye if he hadn't been so kind. So charming. He'd treated Tulippaw better than anyone else outside of her family and friends. He'd treated her like she was supposed to be treated: a leader of everything treasured and beautiful. A perfect cat who rose above them all and who should be pampered. Not that she'd call the Dark Forest a place she could feel pampered in, but she was referring to words, not physical conditions.

Dusktalon was promising to teach her everything she could ever want to know. How to be a formidable opponent, about StarClan and the Dark Forest and the real history of the Clans... What? Tulippaw blinked her rich, vivid green eyes at him, struck by a wave of uneasiness and suspicion. She'd offered to let Dusktalon teach her the things Hawkblaze couldn't - the things his knowledge didn't contain. But she didn't need to know more about the Clans or the afterlives. She'd been taught enough by her parents, Clanmates, and mentor already. I suppose information on StarClan and the Dark Forest would be useful... and maybe Dusktalon can watch the living Clans from here, so he'd know more... But he was from the Place of No Stars! No matter how kind he was, no matter what reasons he had for doing the things he'd done, he was still evil. StarClan had seen the darkness of his heart and actions and sent him here for a reason. Tulippaw took a tentative step back. What if his perspective is skewed? Hawkblaze isn't perfect, but he's from the Dark Forest. What if he tried to feed her lies? Tulippaw's tongue felt stuck to her dry throat, and she felt suddenly nauseous: the weight of what she had agreed to and the thick fog that pressed against her pelt was oppressive, and the sticky ground mingled with the scents of decay made her feel sick.

Dusktalon had said he was wrongly accused. And Tulippaw knew it was not so wrongly, but he was a lot nicer than what she'd been told Dark Forest spirits were like. She took a deep breath to gather her thoughts. I'm not entirely sure of Dusktalon yet. Hawkblaze said he's bad, but Hawkblaze could be exaggerating. Yet a glimmer of memory returned: the horror in her mentor's eyes as he spoke of his father, his expression, his odd vulnerability. They were so uncharacteristic for him, so jarring. A sudden certainty came to Tulippaw amid all her worried thoughts and questions, and she straightened. Here's what I'll do: I'll take advantage of what Dusktalon tells me, but I'll keep my guard up. I'll ask as much as I can when I wake up so I can get the full story. She'd believe her Clanmates over Dusktalon, no matter how "wrongly accused" he claimed to be. Yet there was a side to every story... Tulippaw's Clanmates didn't view her properly, either. But that's totally different! she thought with a thrill of horror. I uphold proper standards of beauty. Dusktalon killed kits.

The dainty she-cat kept her breathing in control and focused on her plan. I'll be careful. I know what's right. And if I'm confused, I'll figure it out. I'm so smart and perfect. If Dusktalon tries to trick me into anything, I won't let him! Her Clanmates would be so proud if they knew the initiative she was taking. But would they, if they knew I was talking to someone from the Place of No Stars? No, she wouldn't let them know. She'd flaunt her newfound knowledge and let them think she'd picked it up from the well of wisdom that came from perfection. And if Dusktalon tries anything, I'm out of here. She refocused on the dark brown tabby tom. He was jarring in the shadows, his pelt blending in with them, yet his white throat, chest, and paws glowed. And she could've sworn she saw something on his neck... something jagged-shaped... a scar?

Dusktalon's next words made Tulippaw's ears prick and every muscle tense in readiness, but... wait, he wasn't training her now? She wasn't sure whether to feel relieved or disappointed. Getting more time to think it over would be nice, but she'd already come to a decision. What if she lost her nerve to come here? Someone like her didn't belong here! Dusktalon was giving her the option, too. How much like Hawkblaze was he? How would he train her? Would he give in to trial and error, which her mentor liked to torment her with, or would he train her properly? And what would he say about the Dark Forest and StarClan?

"Wait!" she called as the brawny tom turned to leave. Tulippaw suddenly wasn't sure if she wanted to go back. She had made her choice, and she didn't want to risk changing her mind, not now. Things would get too confusing again. And... "How do I dream myself back in? I wouldn't want to go here on purpose!" It would be easier if Dusktalon summoned her. He had this time. No way would Tulippaw voluntarily go to this place on her own. But if she had to, she would, and maybe... maybe... what if she didn't have to go back? She could gather information on Dusktalon while she was awake. But I have to come back, don't I? I made a decision. I'm sticking with it. She didn't go against her family's teachings lightly. She had a purpose here, one she had to decipher. Tulippaw wouldn't rest until she did so. And I can't just leave Dusktalon, can I? Of course she could, but... even though he was evil... she couldn't help but feel the tiniest shred of sympathy for him. And it was nice to be treated properly.

The WindClan apprentice never got to see how Dusktalon reacted to her pleas. The Place of No Stars was fading as the rise she stood on turned into mist, and fog swirled over her eyes. Soon, she could see nothing, feel none of the horrible sensations of that StarClan-forsaken place...

@Rizo (I hope you don't mind that I had Tulippaw wake up because I assumed that was what you were going for. When you're less busy, we can set up the RP between Hawkblaze and Tulippaw where she questions him about the things Dusktalon told her!)