Last post by Dolomedes
Today 01:05 AM

Old October 6th, 2020, 08:57 AM
🧂= Yes

My Mood: Unamused

Default Re: getting a dog *Sweat drip here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
yep i just remembered because in 2 weeks next week i gettin my puppy a basset hound!
*Clap Clap*
Good for you!
What's it's name going to be?
Also thank you for the info
Old October 6th, 2020, 08:59 AM
🧂= Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoria the Wolf Pup View Post
Ok. I read the other ones so I’m going to explain some training methods! I’ve had two puppies, and this most recent one was only this past summer! So all this stuff is pretty recent.

First point on training. When it comes to your dog’s name, if you keep calling him that, it’ll just come naturally. He’ll learn his name eventually, no training required. With potty training, it’s a different story. I recommend taking the puppy out every 15-30 minutes for 10 minutes with a leash (in the yard) to see if he goes. If he does, he can play outside off-leash for a bit. This minimizes the time he can go inside. But with this style, BE RELENTLESS. Make sure you stay on time, or the puppy will go inside! Get the whole family in on it, and take turns. Nobody said the job would be easy. If the puppy does go inside, pick him up and put him down outside. Make sure you NEVER HURT OR YELL AT THE PUPPY! Your puppy won’t learn anything that way, he will just learn to be scared of you! You want a happy puppy that loves you. A small, warning, “Nooo.” Is ok, but don’t yell at him. Ever!

So. If it’s a puppy, you need a kennel (A kennel is a crate.). I recommend getting a big one with a wall you move as the puppy gets older. Make sure you have your kennel to have just about as much room as the dog. Why? Well, when your puppy is sleeping, it might have to go to the bathroom while everyone’s sleeping. If the kennel is small like the puppy, he would have to pee, poop, and sleep in the same place! Nobody likes to sleep in their own pee and poop. This way, instead of getting the kennel dirty, it will bark to be let out. Then you can take it outside! The most important point of a kennel is to have a safe place for your dog! Some people put their dogs in a kennel for punishment. DO NOT DO THIS. It will make the puppy think it’s done something wrong at night and will not like to go in. The puppy should WANT to go in there! If your puppy is afraid of the kennel at first, have your family surround the kennel and the puppy. Make sure everyone has treats! (Or lunch meat, if you didn’t have treats like us.) If the puppy sniffs the kennel or has a positive reaction, give them a treat! If they don’t, just wait. If you’re tired of waiting, put a treat inside The kennel. The puppy should go inside to get it, or at least stick his head in there. Keep putting treats in the kennel! The longer he stays in there as a happy puppy, the better! If you think the puppy has gotten a little bit more comfortable in the open kennel, close the doors for a few seconds and then open them again. Do this a couple times. You aren’t supposed to trap him by doing this, just demonstrating that the doors can close so that it doesn’t come as a surprise later on. Make sure you give him lots of treats even with closed doors. Another important kennel thing is to get a blanket to cover it up with while the puppy is in there. Puppies hate being left out of the action, so covering up the kennel will make it seem like there’s no action to be had! If there is a party or something, y’know like a get-together, and the puppy is too excited, put him in the kennel but take the blanket off. This way your puppy still feels present. That should be it on kennels!

Now, if you do all the things I told you not to do... “BAD HUMAN!! GO TO YOUR BED!!” *spanks* You see? Not very nice, is it? Can you see how this is a problem to your puppy? The puppy hates you and the kennel is a terrible place where bad puppies go! Not ideal. However, if you don’t do that... “Hobbes, you silly baby! Why would you do that? C’mon, let’s go outside before I clean it up.” *picks up gently* You see? It’s so much nicer that way! But make sure you give him more love anytime else than when he does something bad or the puppy will think that’s how he gets the most attention.

If you have anything else, ask. I did a lot of research about this stuff when we got Scout. @Hobbes
Thanks you. I read it and seems REALLY helpful ^^

I can't wait to get bailey

Last edited by Dovey; October 6th, 2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old October 6th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Sergeant Noodleoodle

My Mood: Goofy

PUPPEEEZZZ
Dimtail of WindClan
FeatherFlame of Windclan
Brass the Loner
Amber the Loner
Bumblekit of Windclan
School just started so I won't be as active. Still really active though! Please boop me once a day per thread c: and I probably won't reply on weekends. Time zone is CDT.
Old October 6th, 2020, 09:09 AM
#RedInStead

My Mood: Distracted

Tbh, I suggest trying clicker training. Def get a long leash if you want to do offlease stuff or just have a really good recall. Which is vital if you plan to go to a dog park [warning you that other dogs will not be as behaved or might be more behaved. It’s always a risk.]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOCIALIZE
I got my dog [who sadly we had to put down at the age of 16 in may. Which is very old for a dog, even a small breed like a carin terrier] From one of my brothers, who is a half brother. We got Scruffy at the age of 7 and he had lived most of he days in a tiny crate, suitable for a few tiny puppies at most. Where he could not stay or turn around. It felt about the size of a small trapping cage but, a bit bigger. He was never socialized and therefore was very aggressive of other dogs. We couldn’t tell if this was actual aggression or fear aggression but, he would of bit others if he got close enough.

Expose expose expose!
Expose your puppy to a lot! Get them confident! And then by doing this you will learn what your dog likes, doesn’t, is fearful of and lots more!

Choose a specific potty word for your family. And only say that when you take them out to go to the bathroom. And congratulation them after they go to the bathroom with extremely excited tone! It’s positive reinforcement by saying something like “GOOD DOG! YEAH GOOD DOG! YEAH GOOD [potty word]!!” Get them excited to go to the bathroom!

Start leash training right as you get them! This will be very important. You can use a clicker trainer with pieces of food as a reward. Food will do better than treats as it can be given more than treats can be.

Also, I highly suggest going online and looking at maybe service dog training tips, those will have a lot of great tips. Or other trainer’s tips. Maybe going to a puppy school, if COVID isn’t too bad would be really great.
Time sensitive RPs count in this count.

Old October 6th, 2020, 09:11 AM
IDK what to put here

My Mood: Sarcastic

Another thing I learned the hard way. Yes the kennel is a safe place but if its their "room" so to speak dont go running to them every time they cry. It teaches them that if they cry they'll get attention for it. I did this once on accident. Loppy never let me or the rest of the house forget. @Hobbes Also even if you plan on the puppy sleeping on your bed I would still have them stay in a kennel that first night. It's always a rude awakening at 3 in the morning when the dog thinks you need to be awake.

Last edited by Snow Fox; October 6th, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old October 6th, 2020, 09:27 AM
I need new characters-

Bump Policy: Anytime!
My Mood: Inspired

I live with two HUGE dogs and love to bark but unlike my dad I don't yell at them also if you need anymore tips here is this @Hobbes
If you need me immediately please contact me through Discord! LunaLune#0646

https://gdpd.xyz/crystallune
And follow me on scratch!

Last edited by CrystalLune; October 6th, 2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old October 6th, 2020, 10:06 AM
🧂= Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Tbh, I suggest trying clicker training. Def get a long leash if you want to do offlease stuff or just have a really good recall. Which is vital if you plan to go to a dog park [warning you that other dogs will not be as behaved or might be more behaved. It’s always a risk.]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOCIALIZE
I got my dog [who sadly we had to put down at the age of 16 in may. Which is very old for a dog, even a small breed like a carin terrier] From one of my brothers, who is a half brother. We got Scruffy at the age of 7 and he had lived most of he days in a tiny crate, suitable for a few tiny puppies at most. Where he could not stay or turn around. It felt about the size of a small trapping cage but, a bit bigger. He was never socialized and therefore was very aggressive of other dogs. We couldn’t tell if this was actual aggression or fear aggression but, he would of bit others if he got close enough.

Expose expose expose!
Expose your puppy to a lot! Get them confident! And then by doing this you will learn what your dog likes, doesn’t, is fearful of and lots more!

Choose a specific potty word for your family. And only say that when you take them out to go to the bathroom. And congratulation them after they go to the bathroom with extremely excited tone! It’s positive reinforcement by saying something like “GOOD DOG! YEAH GOOD DOG! YEAH GOOD [potty word]!!” Get them excited to go to the bathroom!

Start leash training right as you get them! This will be very important. You can use a clicker trainer with pieces of food as a reward. Food will do better than treats as it can be given more than treats can be.

Also, I highly suggest going online and looking at maybe service dog training tips, those will have a lot of great tips. Or other trainer’s tips. Maybe going to a puppy school, if COVID isn’t too bad would be really great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Another thing I learned the hard way. Yes the kennel is a safe place but if its their "room" so to speak dont go running to them every time they cry. It teaches them that if they cry they'll get attention for it. I did this once on accident. Loppy never let me or the rest of the house forget. @Hobbes Also even if you plan on the puppy sleeping on your bed I would still have them stay in a kennel that first night. It's always a rude awakening at 3 in the morning when the dog thinks you need to be awake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter the beta wolf View Post
I live with two HUGE dogs and love to bark but unlike my dad I don't yell at them also if you need anymore tips here is this @Hobbes
Thank you ^^
Old October 6th, 2020, 10:25 AM
IDK what to put here

My Mood: Sarcastic

your welcome! @Hobbes

Last edited by Snow Fox; October 6th, 2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old October 6th, 2020, 10:39 AM
🧂= Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
your welcome! @Hobbes
Old October 6th, 2020, 12:48 PM
🧂= Yes

BuMMpPPp