WindClan Galewood
by Ian
Last post by TheNyanCatMinecart
Today 06:00 PM

Old August 5th, 2022, 04:16 AM
a winter in my heart

Bump Policy: 1 week
My Mood: Tired

Default Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x ghostie View Post
@Wingnettle
yep !! they got tired of them and decided, mm, fine if you stop crying you can go back. also, that makes sense !! i wasn't sure if maine coons in general were prone or if it was just white maine coons. thank you for the suggestions !! also definitely, been trying to learn how to read lips actually and uh ... there's so many factors. (man, trying to think about how cats would go about it gives me grey hairs lmao. ) really hoping to make asterdance a more accurate representation so thank you!!!

i'm in a bit of a wonky space since asterdance has been roleplayed since they were four/five-ish moons. a lot of stuff already happened in roleplay that ,,.. can't be exactly changed. though !! i can change their backstory a bit as long as the major event doesn't change.

i'm heavily leaning onto it having been acquired! feel like it would make more sense at least in terms of verbal speech & lipreading. (just because of known sound association with lip movements i wanna say ? ;w; maybee ) so, just, a few more questions i'm sorry aaa. really want to make sure i'm representing everything properly and having it be accurate !!

would you say it would be realistic for asterdance to have damage of the small bones because of the car accident ? if not, do you perhaps have any ideas on any other sort of trauma that could have happened ? they are.. a very reckless character and honestly, if their mother told them no i imagine they would try and do it on out of spite when they were younger.

i'm unsure if that would cause hearing loss in both ears?? or, could,, could they have damaged bones in both ears? (i'm sorry if you already answered this because i'm not sure if you meant one bone or one ear could cause deafness ;; )

if not, i'm thinking either inflammation/infection? depends on whether aster could have survived without proper treatment. i don't think ear mites would be an option because aster has two siblings which means they would probably have been infected also.

okay thank you for your time you wonderful human being
Woah, let me do some other research first.

Alright, here's an article about tympanic bulla fractures (it's the skull part attached to the small bones in the ear). It says: Tympanic bulla injuries in small animals are commonly associated with neoplastic or infectious causes, or secondary to known surgical intervention. However, traumatic tympanic bulla fractures seem to be very uncommon in veterinary medicine. A nine-year-old male European shorthair cat was referred to our practice with severe head trauma after suffering a road traffic accident (RTA). The patient presented marked facial swelling and multiple skin wounds and bruising, inspiratory dyspnea, palpable mandibular and maxillary fractures, serosanguinolent oronasal discharge and right eye exophthalmos and buphthalmos with loss of menace and pupillary reflex.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7426505/
What does this mean? It means that these type of injuries are hardly cause by trauma, except if the trauma is REALLY strong and the animal reports a lot of other damage too. In fact "In a serious accident, bones in the middle ear can fracture (break) or become dislocated. This injury usually happens along with fractures in the jaw and face." So I wouldn't choose the car accident option for his deafness.

If you want to continue on this line, read this -> https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...ies-and-trauma
"Avulsion: During an accident or trauma, part of the ear can tear off. The ear can pull away from the head, either partially or completely. Some avulsion injuries require cosmetic surgery to repair the ear." For example the bite of a fox! But again, a fox bite on a little 4 moons kitten would leave their head in bad condition. This may work, but honestly it's a bit... mmh.

"Ruptured eardrum (perforated eardrum): Trauma, loud noises, severe ear infections and foreign objects can cause a ruptured eardrum." If you want to have only deafness without a scarred/problematic body/head, choose the inflammation. I wouldn't choose infections for the same reasons you have mentioned. An example is otitis externa: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/ear-d...rna-in-animals
You can read there some causes of this inflammation, but I don't think they're really important. When the inflammation persists, the cat can develop deafness from one ear or both. You choose.

You can find ear injuries symptoms in the second link.
Old August 5th, 2022, 04:22 AM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudivity View Post
i have a kit character in ShadowClan (Sagekit) who is about to become an apprentice, and i was wondering if theres any genetic diseases in domestic shorthairs or ragdolls that would cause complete blindness suddenly? i was hoping for him to become an apprentice then his vision going away not long after
It is called PRA: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...phy-in-the-cat
"Currently the only breeds in which this disease has been shown to occur as an inherited condition are the Abyssinian and Persian cats."
This is caused by a genetic lack of Taurine.

Other options for you are found here -> https://petcreeks.com/ragdoll-cat-eye-problems/
Try to choose a condition that would give your cat eye problems anyway, but be careful not to pick infections as the cause (since it may be contagious among clanmates). Also, mind that not all of these may lead to blindness but will surely bring problems.
Old August 5th, 2022, 06:19 AM
statement as follows.

Bump Policy: once a week, daily for patrols
My Mood: Mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnettle View Post
It is called PRA: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...phy-in-the-cat
"Currently the only breeds in which this disease has been shown to occur as an inherited condition are the Abyssinian and Persian cats."
This is caused by a genetic lack of Taurine.

Other options for you are found here -> https://petcreeks.com/ragdoll-cat-eye-problems/
Try to choose a condition that would give your cat eye problems anyway, but be careful not to pick infections as the cause (since it may be contagious among clanmates). Also, mind that not all of these may lead to blindness but will surely bring problems.
thank you so much!!

Fae/faer/moon/moonself/they/them
Characters | RP Tracker and Bump Policy

STAFF SIGN HERE
velli was here <3
dracarys - dani <3
dino dropped a stolen treasure chest here and ran

Old August 5th, 2022, 07:32 PM
:P

Bump Policy: ‧₊˚✩彡 3 days !
My Mood: Lurking

@Wingnettle
AAAA !! thank you so much !!! i think i'm going to with inflammation !!! thanks again !!!

❝ hold on tight to this time,
this place 'cause everything you know will be erased.
you were born inside your head.
and that is where you'll be when you are dead. ❞

-- currently on a hiatus until further notice --
pronouns.cc
Old August 14th, 2022, 06:47 AM
a winter in my heart

bumpy boop
Old September 3rd, 2022, 03:33 PM
a winter in my heart

Bump/edit: I have added a short form for anyone who needs some help! Just go to the first post ♥︎

Last edited by Wingnettle; September 3rd, 2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old September 13th, 2022, 09:50 AM
a winter in my heart

bump
Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:42 PM
somehow still here

Bump Policy: 24hrs
My Mood: Dark

Is there a sickness that spreads easily in close proximity with fever like symptoms that is difficult to treat? Celeste and I are plotting something for Alt Skyclan @Wingnettle
Old September 23rd, 2022, 02:14 PM
a winter in my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo. View Post
Is there a sickness that spreads easily in close proximity with fever like symptoms that is difficult to treat? Celeste and I are plotting something for Alt Skyclan @Wingnettle
There are lots of contagious infections that cats can contract, less and more lethal. The most important thing you need to consider is: how does the clan survive the epidemic? Can the medicine cats cure it? It is unlikely that an infection will go away on its own, though some only show symptoms temporarily (ex. Herpesvirus https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...hinotracheitis ).

The best option you have, I believe, is Whitecough and Greencough. It is well known from the books that catnip is the cure for Greencough, so the plot might easily be built around that.
Old September 26th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Panromantic Cactus

My Mood: Dead

• Which symptoms should your cat have? Tiredness, trouble thinking, trouble processing things, and maybe constant hunger, also any other symptoms that might be in an illness/condition like this
• Do you want a genetic or acquired illness/condition? I don’t know xD
• How many moons is this cat? Is it a certain breed? 6 moons old, not a specic breed
• What's the cat past? How/where does it live now? He is ShadowClan, and he was abandoned by his parents when he was very young and only just made an apprentice not long ago.
• Has it already some condition/other problems? Idk if this counts but he has anxiety :]
• What should the outcome of the illness/condition be? He should survive it, but maybe have some aftereffects that last for the rest of his life.
• Is there a bigger plot around the illness/condition? No just for a bit of long-term drama