Last post by Blazing
Yesterday 11:15 PM

Old November 4th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomegranate View Post

Ringpaw awkwardly listened to their conversation. Shinefang? Retiring? The calico apprentice couldn’t even imagine what trouble she’d be in if her mentor wasn’t there to teach her. Besides, she wasn’t going to let him get old. At his next comment, Ringpaw smiled at Fennelheart in amusement. “Ah, but Shinefang’s not allowed to die. It’s against my rules,” She squeaked, before her head turned towards the herb storages, scanning for the yellow flower. It had grown chillier lately, so she could see the browning tips of the petals. “Chew it into a slick poultice and rub it into the cut?” She guessed. She had done that before with her first time with herbs, when she had nearly had a heart attack after the yellow tom collapsed in the woods. Ringpaw chuckled at the memory, it seemed like life and death. Now she was sure she could handle it without a bump.
@spookapi
@spookapi

"Excellent!" Shinefang exclaimed, beaming at the younger cat. Not for the first time, the old tom congratulated himself on his choice of apprentice. Ringpaw was sharp and caught on quickly. It would serve her and her clan well in the seasons to come. He flicked a tail at Fennelheart and nodded to the apprentice. "Get to work then," he said simply.

Old November 4th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Ringpaw quickly ducked out of sight to groom herself. Pull her tongue, tug out a tangle, repeat. It was almost methodical, it calmed her down. Another medicine cat? Already? She had just gotten used to Caliaflame, and now she had a new feline to meet. Ringpaw wished that she had had more time to talk to the old Thunderclan medicine cat, she had seemed like an interesting molly. Ringpaw shrugged it off. She couldn’t miss something she never had. Finishing up on her pelt, she inspected her tail with spiteful eyes. The longer fur there was matted, so she rasped her bristled tongue over it briefly before standing to shake her pelt out. She felt more awake now, her consciousness snapping into place.
As she reentered, she felt her pelt burning oddly. She couldn’t believe that a second ago she had introduced herself to the new medicine cat with such messy fur. Shinefang was already so self conscious about others seeing him not at his best, what about now? Of course, the excitement of a new cat rushed back in to her. “You’re Thunderclan’s new medicine cat? That’s so cool! You were a warrior,” She said with curiosity. Ringpaw carefully observed Shinefang from the side of her eyes, making sure the willow bark was kicking in. She almost felt defensive of him, which was odd, as he could easily take her down any time. But she still couldn’t help but wonder why Tallmarsh was scrutinizing them; an elderly tom needing help standing up and a messy-furred apprentice who slept in until it was nearly sunhigh. Ringpaw didn’t like the odd way the blueish shecat was looking at her.
“Hmm? Oh!” She said in surprise, her ears shooting upwards at the question. “Well, willow bark helps with joint pain, and dock leaf, I think.” She prattled, wrinkling her nose and squinting one eye as she tried to remember painkillers. For a second, she wondered about how Tallmarsh was feeling. A new role... what if Passionstar had just given it to her? Maybe she hadn’t even wanted it. Although she didn’t look angry or anything, just slightly bothered and very calm, like water. Ringpaw was dying to know her story,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Tallmarsh had always considered herself a warrior, so being a medicine cat now was odd to her. There was a certain air around the position medicine cat, or at least she felt so. The medicine cat was supposed to heal their Clanmates and be the closest to StarClan. It seemed that most of the time they were expected to keep a level head—which wasn’t exactly Tallmarsh’s strong suit. She didn’t understand why she’d been chosen for this position when she seemed like the last cat for the job, but she was going to work hard to catch up and serve her Clan to the best of her abilities. She hoped that Shinefang and Ringpaw would be able to teach her to be a proper medicine cat.

She nodded in response to Shinefang’s question. She was usually very careful not to get hurt while practicing or battling, but she had had a few experiences where she had to be patched up. She knew what it was like to get a bad clawing or bite from another cat, and hopefully this would come in handy when treating her Clanmates. Even though these two seemed to have more lax schedules than her, Tallmarsh could tell that they were still extremely hardworking cats and did their job well. The long-legged tabby watched curiously as Ringpaw recalled the herbs that helped with pain. She remembered having dandelion put on a particularly bad cut as an apprentice after she fell while training, scaring away every scrap of prey within a two-mile radius with her yowl of surprise/pain. At least, she thought it was dandelion—it had been so long, she couldn’t be sure. She took a step forward and piped up, “Isn’t dandelion used for pain as well?” Her memory had been screwy ever since she started this position, probably from stress—not to mention that it seemed that every cat in the Clan wanted to talk to her, and she wasn’t really one for conversation.

((I am so sorry for the late reply, y’all! T-T))
(It's cool. We all have lives.)

Shinefang didn't interrupt Ringpaw as she socialized with the other medicine cat. After all, it was good for her to make connections with other medicine cats. When he joined his mate in Starclan, their roles in her life would become more important and they would go to each other for advise about healing their clanmates rather than to the likes of old furballs like him. As his apprentice rattled off two herbs, Shinefang listened and nodded. "You are right, those both help with pain. They are administered differently though. Dock is chewed into a pulp and applied to the wound so it's specifically for pain from scratches and bites. Willowbark is eaten by the patient. You are correct, it is excellent for joint pain in particular."

Tallmarsh chimed in and the old tom nodded at the Thunderclan cat. "It is, you're right," he meowed. Particularly the leaves. They can be chewed and this will act as a mild pain killer. It's also considered to be a safe alternative pain management herb for kits should they become injured since they can't have poppy seeds." He turned back to his apprentice again. "Ringpaw, do you remember the dosage for poppy seeds in a healthy, adult cat? What will one seed be good for? Two? Three? Besides kits, what other cats should not be given poppy seeds?"

Old November 4th, 2018, 08:56 PM
boo

My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post

Shinefang didn't interrupt Ringpaw as she socialized with the other medicine cat. After all, it was good for her to make connections with other medicine cats. When he joined his mate in Starclan, their roles in her life would become more important and they would go to each other for advise about healing their clanmates rather than to the likes of old furballs like him. As his apprentice rattled off two herbs, Shinefang listened and nodded. "You are right, those both help with pain. They are administered differently though. Dock is chewed into a pulp and applied to the wound so it's specifically for pain from scratches and bites. Willowbark is eaten by the patient. You are correct, it is excellent for joint pain in particular."

Tallmarsh chimed in and the old tom nodded at the Thunderclan cat. "It is, you're right," he meowed. Particularly the leaves. They can be chewed and this will act as a mild pain killer. It's also considered to be a safe alternative pain management herb for kits should they become injured since they can't have poppy seeds." He turned back to his apprentice again. "Ringpaw, do you remember the dosage for poppy seeds in a healthy, adult cat? What will one seed be good for? Two? Three? Besides kits, what other cats should not be given poppy seeds?"
Ringpaw flashed a broad grin at Tallmarsh, who was sitting stoic and rigid, like a stone. Ringpaw hadn’t thought of marigold, she was surprised that Tallmarsh knew. Maybe the tortoiseshell had judged the Thunderclanner too soon- she obviously knew a thing or two about herbs. Nice! She thought, her eyes watching to see if the shecat had noticed Ringpaw’s grin of approval. Maybe Tallmarsh wasn’t so bad, even if she had been a bit abrasive upon entry. She had certainly given Ringpaw a fright- a strange Thunderclanner right in the den while her and Shinefang were asleep! Not to mention Ringpaw had looked like a complete mess, fur tangled with leaf scraps everywhere.
Ringpaw stared blankly at her mentor at his question. Ever since the rosy beginning of her apprenticeship had faded, quizzes were everywhere. Poppyseeds... Shinefang and her had briefly touched on them, just as a run down of herbs and other things, but Ringpaw hadn’t really payed much attention... “Erm-“ She began, before gulping. Ringpaw had just been mentally bragging about how sharp she had become with herbs, but now here she was, not even remembering simple things like dosage amounts. It’s okay Ringpaw. Her voice whispered soothingly. It’s a learning curve, that’s all!
“Well, it should be zero if the cat is healthy,” she joked dryly, before scrunching up her brow in an attempt to look serious. “It should be one or two? It depends. Like if I was really really really tired but couldn’t sleep, you’d give me two or three. But if I just needed to rest... one?” She answered, but it sounded more like a question. The ratio sounded right, but she wasn’t sure. Fidgeting with her paws, she gave a side glance towards Tallmarsh.
“Hm, other cats? Well, maybe cats who just came out of fainting? I don’t think we’d want them to go unconscious again. Or maybe a queen. I don’t think it’d be particularly helpful if a queen conked out in the middle of a kitting.” She purred. Ringpaw sounded a bit more confident, this part was just common sense. Don’t give stupid things to cats who don’t need them. Even a Ringpaw the air-headed apprentice had a touch of common sense, or at least enough to keep a queen from passing out. @Delta

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Last edited by pomegranate; November 4th, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old November 11th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Ringpaw flashed a broad grin at Tallmarsh, who was sitting stoic and rigid, like a stone. Ringpaw hadn’t thought of marigold, she was surprised that Tallmarsh knew. Maybe the tortoiseshell had judged the Thunderclanner too soon- she obviously knew a thing or two about herbs. Nice! She thought, her eyes watching to see if the shecat had noticed Ringpaw’s grin of approval. Maybe Tallmarsh wasn’t so bad, even if she had been a bit abrasive upon entry. She had certainly given Ringpaw a fright- a strange Thunderclanner right in the den while her and Shinefang were asleep! Not to mention Ringpaw had looked like a complete mess, fur tangled with leaf scraps everywhere.
Ringpaw stared blankly at her mentor at his question. Ever since the rosy beginning of her apprenticeship had faded, quizzes were everywhere. Poppyseeds... Shinefang and her had briefly touched on them, just as a run down of herbs and other things, but Ringpaw hadn’t really payed much attention... “Erm-“ She began, before gulping. Ringpaw had just been mentally bragging about how sharp she had become with herbs, but now here she was, not even remembering simple things like dosage amounts. It’s okay Ringpaw. Her voice whispered soothingly. It’s a learning curve, that’s all!
“Well, it should be zero if the cat is healthy,” she joked dryly, before scrunching up her brow in an attempt to look serious. “It should be one or two? It depends. Like if I was really really really tired but couldn’t sleep, you’d give me two or three. But if I just needed to rest... one?” She answered, but it sounded more like a question. The ratio sounded right, but she wasn’t sure. Fidgeting with her paws, she gave a side glance towards Tallmarsh.
“Hm, other cats? Well, maybe cats who just came out of fainting? I don’t think we’d want them to go unconscious again. Or maybe a queen. I don’t think it’d be particularly helpful if a queen conked out in the middle of a kitting.” She purred. Ringpaw sounded a bit more confident, this part was just common sense. Don’t give stupid things to cats who don’t need them. Even a Ringpaw the air-headed apprentice had a touch of common sense, or at least enough to keep a queen from passing out. @Delta
@Delta

Old November 23rd, 2018, 03:36 PM
Sigh...

@pomegranate

(Hey pom! I'm just posting this starter to give Ringpaw something to do while Shine is out of commission for the week. Feel free to respond as many times as you like during the week and assume that Shine will respond in any way that fits Ring's actions as you envisio, ie she tries to feed herbs and he eats them or can't keep them down depending on your preference. My only request is that he not talk and remain in any unconscious or semi-conscious state in all interactions, semiconscious meaning that he could possibly be coxed into moving to a different location in the den or follow basic instructions, but clearly not be engaged in the environment in any meaningful way. Have fun!)

Shinefang woke up shivering so violently, he could hear the nest shaking. His body felt like frost had settled inside of his bones, but he could feel sweat breaking out of his skin from the fever burning inside him. The inside of his mouth felt like it was lined with sand and feathers and he desperately wanted a drink of water but when he tried to stand up, the aching in his body swelled so suddenly and fiercely that he had to let himself fall back onto his nest with a whimper. He took took a long, heaving breathing and heard with a start, the rattle in his chest. He tried to raise his head, wincing at the pain again. "Ringpaw?" the call the came out was a feeble whisper that caught and lurched in his throat. "Ringp-" suddenly a violent fit of coughing racked the older cat's frame with all the force of a sapling shaking in a thunderstorm. His shoulder's hunched with the effort as a heaving in his belly and throat made him almost throw up his last meal. As if all his energy had been spent, the old tom flopped back into his nest, panting as darkness swept over his vision and carried him off.

(BTW no, Shine is not dying).

Old November 25th, 2018, 02:25 PM
boo

Quote:
@pomegranate

(Hey pom! I'm just posting this starter to give Ringpaw something to do while Shine is out of commission for the week. Feel free to respond as many times as you like during the week and assume that Shine will respond in any way that fits Ring's actions as you envisio, ie she tries to feed herbs and he eats them or can't keep them down depending on your preference. My only request is that he not talk and remain in any unconscious or semi-conscious state in all interactions, semiconscious meaning that he could possibly be coxed into moving to a different location in the den or follow basic instructions, but clearly not be engaged in the environment in any meaningful way. Have fun!)

Shinefang woke up shivering so violently, he could hear the nest shaking. His body felt like frost had settled inside of his bones, but he could feel sweat breaking out of his skin from the fever burning inside him. The inside of his mouth felt like it was lined with sand and feathers and he desperately wanted a drink of water but when he tried to stand up, the aching in his body swelled so suddenly and fiercely that he had to let himself fall back onto his nest with a whimper. He took took a long, heaving breathing and heard with a start, the rattle in his chest. He tried to raise his head, wincing at the pain again. "Ringpaw?" the call the came out was a feeble whisper that caught and lurched in his throat. "Ringp-" suddenly a violent fit of coughing racked the older cat's frame with all the force of a sapling shaking in a thunderstorm. His shoulder's hunched with the effort as a heaving in his belly and throat made him almost throw up his last meal. As if all his energy had been spent, the old tom flopped back into his nest, panting as darkness swept over his vision and carried him off.

(BTW no, Shine is not dying).
(don’t worry, just a joke. he’s not allowed to die anyways <:

Ringpaw had been lazily sorting old stale herbs from the stores, her paws encrusted in leaf mulch and old mint. Shinefang had slept in unusually that morning, so when the calico awoke she had stepped carefully over the slumbering medicine cat and had wandered around for a few moments. Finally deciding to do something productive, she had started to go through old herbs. They reeked a lot, and Ringpaw hated the stench of old, damp catnip and marigold. They were past able to be salvaged, and Ringpaw needed to go out and find some more. Of course, just as she was putting away the remaining fresh catnip, she heard a painful cough.
Shinefang!” She yelled, louder than needed. Scuffling her paws in the dust, the apprentice flung all of her organized piles across the den as she skidded towards the collapsed tom. “Shinefang! Can you hear me?” She asked loudly, her vision dizzy. Calm, Ringpaw. You can’t panic, he’s only collapsed. He’s done this before. But he obviously wasn’t conscious, and she had heard his hacking. Taking in a deep breath, Ringpaw watched as his chest rose in a long, shaky rhythm. “Herbs?” Ringpaw muttered to herself, but she couldn’t think of anything. He was unconscious, how do cats eat things when they’re unconscious? She shook her head, before whirling around into the front stores to look through her options. Think fast.

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Old December 6th, 2018, 03:16 PM
definitely NOT an alien

My Mood: Thirsty

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingle pom View Post

Tallmarsh felt a small surge of pride in her chest when Shinefang said she was right. It wasn't praise, but she had been afraid of embarrassing herself with her minimal knowledge of herbs. She listened intently and nodded along as Shinefang explained the herb and its uses. She knew this was important, especially with the current events. Turning her attention to Ringpaw, she caught out of the corner of her eye a grin from the apprentice. The corners of the ThunderClanner's mouth tweaked slightly as she tried to maintain her composure. This apprentice seemed to approve of her, which was good. This meant they might be able to have a good relationship in the future, and Tallmarsh felt this could help them serve their Clans better in times of needs. StarClan knows Tallmarsh would be seeking help from Shinefang and Ringpaw in the future. She willed herself not to role her eyes at Ringpaw's dry remark. While her two main moods were dry humor and angry, she felt that this was a time to be serious and focus on the task at hand.
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Sigh...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Tallmarsh felt a small surge of pride in her chest when Shinefang said she was right. It wasn't praise, but she had been afraid of embarrassing herself with her minimal knowledge of herbs. She listened intently and nodded along as Shinefang explained the herb and its uses. She knew this was important, especially with the current events. Turning her attention to Ringpaw, she caught out of the corner of her eye a grin from the apprentice. The corners of the ThunderClanner's mouth tweaked slightly as she tried to maintain her composure. This apprentice seemed to approve of her, which was good. This meant they might be able to have a good relationship in the future, and Tallmarsh felt this could help them serve their Clans better in times of needs. StarClan knows Tallmarsh would be seeking help from Shinefang and Ringpaw in the future. She willed herself not to role her eyes at Ringpaw's dry remark. While her two main moods were dry humor and angry, she felt that this was a time to be serious and focus on the task at hand.

Shinefang nodded approvingly at his apprentice. “You’re correct, for the most part. Your dosages are spot on.” The old tom grinned wryly at her comment about a healthy cat needing no medicine at all. She understood what he meant, he knew. “Queens should not be given poppy seeds, that’s right. But the reason is that it may hurt the kits inside her. And you’re right that cats who are fainting shouldn’t be given poppy seeds either. One last one that I’ll add is that poppy seeds should not be given to a cat with a head injury. Some kinds of head wounds can cause a cat to not be able to wake up again or even to die if they fall asleep. Instead, they should be kept awake, have their wound treated, and if necessary given pain management herbs which don’t affect consciousness.”

Shinefang sat up a little straighter, a flicker of guarded pride in his eye as he looked at his two pupils. What he wanted to teach them next was important to him because, had he known how to use other pain management approaches when he was new to the life of a medicine cat, Acornpaw might still be alive today. Instead, the apprentice had died in this very den after Shinefang treated him for what appeared to be a minor head wound by cleaning the cut and then giving him poppy seeds...

“So, an otherwise healthy, adult tom stumbles into your den. He reports smacking his head against a rock while hunting. There’s a minor cut on his head, which is bleeding and he appears to be slurring his speech and having trouble walking straight. What do you do?” The medicine cat looked at each of them in turn, waiting for their answers.

Old December 8th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Sigh...

Quote:

(don’t worry, just a joke. he’s not allowed to die anyways <:

Ringpaw had been lazily sorting old stale herbs from the stores, her paws encrusted in leaf mulch and old mint. Shinefang had slept in unusually that morning, so when the calico awoke she had stepped carefully over the slumbering medicine cat and had wandered around for a few moments. Finally deciding to do something productive, she had started to go through old herbs. They reeked a lot, and Ringpaw hated the stench of old, damp catnip and marigold. They were past able to be salvaged, and Ringpaw needed to go out and find some more. Of course, just as she was putting away the remaining fresh catnip, she heard a painful cough.
Shinefang!” She yelled, louder than needed. Scuffling her paws in the dust, the apprentice flung all of her organized piles across the den as she skidded towards the collapsed tom. “Shinefang! Can you hear me?” She asked loudly, her vision dizzy. Calm, Ringpaw. You can’t panic, he’s only collapsed. He’s done this before. But he obviously wasn’t conscious, and she had heard his hacking. Taking in a deep breath, Ringpaw watched as his chest rose in a long, shaky rhythm. “Herbs?” Ringpaw muttered to herself, but she couldn’t think of anything. He was unconscious, how do cats eat things when they’re unconscious? She shook her head, before whirling around into the front stores to look through her options. Think fast.
Shinefang didn’t know how long he’d slept. His mouth felt like the cracking mud of a dried riverbed, and he felt weak. When he looked up, his vision was blurry but he could just make out the now familiar calico patches and ringed tail he’d grown to expect around the den. “Ringpaw?” he managed weakly. “What... happened?” He tried to get up but his muscles still ached. Instead, he turned his eye to the she cat. “Water?” He asked.

Old December 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM
boo

Quote:
Shinefang didn’t know how long he’d slept. His mouth felt like the cracking mud of a dried riverbed, and he felt weak. When he looked up, his vision was blurry but he could just make out the now familiar calico patches and ringed tail he’d grown to expect around the den. “Ringpaw?” he managed weakly. “What... happened?” He tried to get up but his muscles still ached. Instead, he turned his eye to the she cat. “Water?” He asked.
Ringpaw turned, her eyes slanted a bit tiredly but her body jolted upwards everywhere when she saw the yellow tom, his eyes open. The calico launched up, this time managing to not destroy any piles of valuable herbs, and skittered over towards her mentor. “You woke up!” She said cheerily, trying to sound thrilled even though she was still worried. At least he had woken up, she couldn’t imagine if he had blacked out permanently. At his request, she dipped her head in compliance. “Stay here.” She meowed after noticing he had tried to get up. She quickly walked over to the small area where they kept the moist moss. Ringpaw had an abundance of it, that had been all she had dared to give him. She had fretted too much over what herbs to use that she had decided that only borage was safe, it wouldn’t worsen anything and she knew the usage well. She had chewed up some of the borage and added it into the water she had trickled in her mentor’s maw often, but she wasn’t sure if it had helped or not. After bringing more water back, she sat down with her paw near Shinefang. She flicked her ringed tail towards the damp moss, her calico spots flickering. “You blacked out a few days ago. You’ve been asleep for a few hours, you woke up yesterday a little bit- I got you to move enough to change some of your bedding. It’s a bit early, you must be starving!” The apprentice exclaimed with a small smile. She decided not to mention the coughing fits, they had lessened a lot, so Ringpaw assumed they were over.

~pom~

Last edited by pomegranate; December 8th, 2018 at 03:54 PM.