Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > OOC > General Board

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
RiverClan Territory
by BEAR.
Last post by Lucythecat
Today 09:30 AM
WindClan Apprentices' Den
by Ian
Last post by Kaybug.
Today 09:12 AM
RiverClan Elders' Den
by BEAR.
Last post by Yoshdo
Today 09:11 AM
RiverClan Clearing
by BEAR.
Last post by Yoshdo
Today 08:58 AM
Count-Down Until A Staff...
Last post by blxze.
Today 08:48 AM

Old April 15th, 2020, 10:27 AM
5,445 posts on old site

My Mood: Fine

Default Need help with a character personality revamp

I get many of you are busy, but I desperately need to do a character revamp of these characters, could anyone give me some help on revamping them?

- needs more redeeming qualities

- needs a more complex personality

- needs some negative qualities

- needs A redeeming quality

- need to develop his personality around friends

- needs basically a personality, one that if you dumb down isn’t like my other characters (which I’ll put all into categories that I don’t want Lichen to fit into:
Mean: Murkyshadow, Bubblingbee, Troublesome: Chickadeepaw, Sweet angelic: Salmonsong, Blinkkit, Ivory. Average: Fluffy, Basilkit.) I want to find a different kind of personality I’ll find different, but fun to RP, but isn’t like copying a character I’ve seen on site that looks cool to RP).

If people could help me figure out how to revamp them, I’d greatly appreciate it.

My prefix finder website, consists of all the prefixes I could think of that are valid for wco linked here
Old April 15th, 2020, 10:46 AM
Why am I still awake

My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: Need help with a character personality revamp

Maybe having Murkyshadow be logical and calculated may be good.

Blinkkit... I can’t really come up with anything for him at the moment.

Salmonsong, perhaps having her be petty or unforgiving could be good. She could hold grudges if somebody upsets her.

Bubblingbee, the only thing I can come up with is her being really patient.

That’s all I have for now.
Old April 15th, 2020, 10:57 AM
You know my name, man.

My Mood: Mysterious

I think Lichen could be shy and nervous. Short and simple. These kind of things also affect plot. And I personally find nervous characters finding some ground fun! A lot of characters have these personalities, so if you disagree, it’ll be hard, let me tell you! I hope you find something!

~ My Characters ~

~ Need a StarClan cat? Ask for Oaksky at the front desk. ~

~ Avatar (Hawkmist) by PMmellifluentCurator!
Pixel art by me! ~
Old April 16th, 2020, 12:57 AM
Queen of Laziness

My Mood: Asleep

Murky - He is very protective of the ones he trusts. Since he rarely trusts anyone that quality is very hard to ever see but when it does show it is a very redeeming quality. You can also add that he gives good advice to his close friends.

Blink - No, don't make him shy. Make him very determined and willing to try and help others what he is trying to say. Making him a happy kit who is rambunctious. The only time he does get all clammed up is if others are obviously bullying/ making fun of him.

Salmon - Have her realize that she doesn't have a filter. Yes, she is outspoken but she doesn't realize that her words have a negative effect on others. Or/ and make her very arrogant and stubborn about her opinion.

Bumbling - Have her loved stories so much that when she is telling them that she forgets that she likes to be mean to others. She's only nice to others who she sees a part of herself in them

Chickadee - Have him want to impress someone, a friend or warrior or somebody that would cause him to behave. If there is someone he doesn't like he's 10x more of a meanie than usual.

Lichen - He hears two voices in his head. One good and one bad. He thinks that it is normal hence the reason why he doesn't tell others about it, he thinks they have voices in their head too. One voice is always urging him to do something like breaking the rules then the other voice is reasoning with him to not break the rules. It causes him to speak out loud for some reason at times and to become very indecisive.
@Zesty Mango

Please tell me if any of my suggests helped or if you will go with any of them.
Old April 19th, 2020, 09:43 PM
Corvid Prince ☾

My Mood: Mysterious

I don't think any of their personalities need revamping; If you want to develop your characters, that isn't the lacking area here. You've done a good job of creating characters with an interesting surface presentation that makes them distinct from other cats at a glance. It's a good starting place, but there are two other very important elements that create depth in your characters and drive their plot:

1.) Their inner source of motivation. What drives the character? What are their deepest desires? There should be a purpose to everything your character does that somehow ties back to these desires. Why your character is doing something is just as, if not more important than what or how.
2.) Their past life experiences. This one is often neglected, or given a story that doesn't meaningfully impact the character. The things that have happened to a cat will affect their past, present (how have life events contributed to molding their personality and behavior today?), and future (their motivations and desires are perhaps related to a life event, may contribute to a continuing theme, and may even provide conflict). This is less relevant for very young cats, such as kits and apprentices (as explained below).

The link to Blinkkit's profile is broken for me, so I can't comment on him; however, my advice for writing kits is that they do not need to be extremely complex. They're young and immature, and many facets of their personality and character aren't things that are going to be apparent until they age. You should present a couple of simple, overarching tones to their demeanor (shy and meek, bold and outgoing, thoughtful and quiet, aggressive and mean-spirited), as well as including some examples of their source of motivation or aspirations for the future, but you don't need to go more in-depth than that. Let your kit grow and change, and allow their experiences to mold their character and create new layers of complexity. Besides being more realistic, pacing your character's development instead of throwing everything at the audience at once keeps them invested and interested in your story.

It's interesting that you believe certain characters need either specifically redeeming qualities or negative ones, and I don't think it's all that necessary. Not every character has to be obviously righteous, and some of your most interesting characters are your more morally ambiguous. I like Bubblingbee, and her unexpected bond with Perchkit is a redeeming quality in itself. On the outside, she's a grumpy elder, but her relationship with Perchkit hints at a secret soft spot and makes her more nuanced. What is it about Perchkit that she likes, and what does this say about her? Perhaps she undergoes a gradual shift in attitude due to their friendship, as Perchkit brings light into her life. You could also expand on her past. Why is Bubblingbee cold towards other cats? Has some event(s) in her life caused her to become jaded? There's a lot of room to explore this character.

One last note I'll add is that no character should be an island. A large part of a character's identity is their relationships, and you should spend a lot of time crafting a cat's web of family, friends, and enemies, and how each individual interacts with the others to create a unique dynamic. That, more than just an individual personality, is what will make your cat's experience unique. The general advice I gave at the beginning of this post applies to all of your other characters that I didn't mention by name as well, but let me know if there is some specific aspect of one character on which you'd like critique.