Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > OOC > General Board

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
A Very Impulsively Made...
Last post by Bean
Today 11:52 AM
Sedgewater Valley
by BEAR.
Last post by burntToast
Today 11:29 AM
RiverClan Floodstone
by BEAR.
Last post by Dust
Today 11:27 AM

Old November 5th, 2020, 06:20 AM
Mysterious....

My Mood: Dark

Default Voice Acting!

Soo...I've decided to take up voice acting as a hobby! I'm mostly gonna audition for small voice-acted gachas for now, I might do some bigger projects if I actually become good. I have a professional mic and I'm trying to figure out Audacity. Anyway, I'm looking for some VA advice from anyone who has experience in that area!

Last edited by Shade.; November 5th, 2020 at 06:20 AM.
Old November 5th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Status: Neck deep in wild animals at work and reports at Uni!
Bump Policy: 5-7 days before bumping please, Ive got work lol
My Mood: Sleepy

Default Re: Voice Acting!

I dont have experience with digital voice acting but Ive been acting for musical theater for years now as a hobby. FIND A VOCAL WARM UP THAT WORKS FOR YOU!!! It is so so important to warm up your voice before practice and doing it and really takes ones work up to the next step! It also helps prevent injury (it really happens) when doing really strenuous moments! Dont worry about accents in the beginning less people care about that then you might think! Good luck and have fun! @Shadeleaf
Old November 5th, 2020, 06:33 AM
Mysterious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post
I dont have experience with digital voice acting but Ive been acting for musical theater for years now as a hobby. FIND A VOCAL WARM UP THAT WORKS FOR YOU!!! It is so so important to warm up your voice before practice and doing it and really takes ones work up to the next step! It also helps prevent injury (it really happens) when doing really strenuous moments! Dont worry about accents in the beginning less people care about that then you might think! Good luck and have fun! @Shadeleaf
Thank you! My music teacher tried to teach me some piano warm-ups as I'm interested in singing but I'll try to find some more. As for accents, I have a standard american one despite being from a small country no one has ever heard off, the inhabitants of which often have annoying accents when speaking English. The good thing is my language involves lots of sounds so I'm good at mimicking accents. I won't worry about it too much! I just recorded my first audition and while it has a bit of muffled echo, I removed all background noise.

Last edited by Shade.; November 5th, 2020 at 06:34 AM.
Old November 5th, 2020, 06:42 AM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeleaf View Post
Thank you! My music teacher tried to teach me some piano warm-ups as I'm interested in singing but I'll try to find some more. As for accents, I have a standard american one despite being from a small country no one has ever heard off, the inhabitants of which often have annoying accents when speaking English. The good thing is my language involves lots of sounds so I'm good at mimicking accents. I won't worry about it too much! I just recorded my first audition and while it has a bit of muffled echo, I removed all background noise.
Yeah the warm up thing is the same concept for both vocal and piano kinda. Its stretching and warming up muscles as practice and limbering so they can move faster and stronger in action. The muffle will likely be mic related sadly which can only be fixed with a better mic or if you have a decent one look into echo reduction (lining the walls and hard surfaced with fabric and uneven surfaced to reduce soundwave bounce) Thats good about the accent thing! Unfortunately at a certain age your mind kinda locks with that and it suddenly takes a ton of effort to 'free the tongue' so if you have a language or accent that does that already avoiding the lock then you have a huge advantage!
Old November 5th, 2020, 06:53 AM
Mysterious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post
Yeah the warm up thing is the same concept for both vocal and piano kinda. Its stretching and warming up muscles as practice and limbering so they can move faster and stronger in action. The muffle will likely be mic related sadly which can only be fixed with a better mic or if you have a decent one look into echo reduction (lining the walls and hard surfaced with fabric and uneven surfaced to reduce soundwave bounce) Thats good about the accent thing! Unfortunately at a certain age your mind kinda locks with that and it suddenly takes a ton of effort to 'free the tongue' so if you have a language or accent that does that already avoiding the lock then you have a huge advantage!
You probably know these kinds of things so what about vocal range. Everyone tells me I have musical talent, but that mostly comes from my language skills and extreme musical hearing. I actually noticed that my vocal range seemed way too small. Perhaps I didn't do enough warm-ups (mememe, momomo and such) but I got F3B4. I'm worried since the role I'm auditioning for requires medium-high, and to my ears, I have kind of a deeper voice. The recording of course sound higher but idk if it's high enough.

Last edited by Shade.; November 5th, 2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old November 5th, 2020, 07:32 AM
Queen of Pinnepeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeleaf View Post
You probably know these kinds of things so what about vocal range. Everyone tells me I have musical talent, but that mostly comes from my language skills and extreme musical hearing. I actually noticed that my vocal range seemed way too small. Perhaps I didn't do enough warm-ups (mememe, momomo and such) but I got F3B4. I'm worried since the role I'm auditioning for requires medium-high, and to my ears, I have kind of a deeper voice. The recording of course sound higher but idk if it's high enough.
You should be fine, don't worry! Good luck I hope you get it!
Old November 5th, 2020, 08:32 AM
Mysterious....

teeny tiny boop
Old November 5th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Pfp by Caspian :> Venus!

Bump Policy: Whenever, just not like 10 minutes after
My Mood: Bored

Alright. So I am not a voice actor but a half actor. The best thing to do is what Rani said. If you do something to hurt yourself (By that meaning doing a hard voice first.) you can get voice straining losing your voice and worse. Start with pitches closest to your voice before going really high pitched if your voice is lower pitched and so on @Shadeleaf
Old November 5th, 2020, 08:56 AM
AWOOOOOOOOO!!!

My Mood: Innocent

Welp, I haven’t done much voice acting, but I do make movies. Minor ones, but I am writer, director, film crew, editor, and, sometimes, voice actress.. So I think it makes up. Anyway, when voice acting, it helps to know the character. Know what they would be feeling when you act them out. To start, I’d recommend trying to act out characters you most associate with, in terms of personality. This way, it’s easier to put your feet in their shoes. Always keep in mind how you would feel in that situation. In a perfect world, your feelings might be recorded. But, alas, it is not, and so you will have to remember on your own.

The hardest feelings to capture are sadness, fear, and revenge/anger. That’s because they are the most raw emotions a person can have. For these, you just have to let go. Think of things that make you feel this way, and let your emotions take you from there. Don’t try to focus on getting the perfect voice, because it will throw you off. I recommend having a friend or just another person with you to tell you how you did. When it comes to this person, it might be tempting to try your parents/guardian or really close family. This could be a mistake, as they can sometimes tell you you did amazing regardless. The goal of the other person is to get honest feedback, so choose someone you know will be truthful with you. If you don’t have a person to tell you their thoughts, set up your voice recorder and do it several times before stopping. The more, the merrier! This will give you a wide range of recordings to choose from, and if you can get down to 1 or two, then that’s good. You can do that multiple times until you think you found the right one.

Is this helpful? @Shadeleaf
HEWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO friendos and potential friendos! It be I, Ikoria! Hey! I love talking, helping, and roleplaying, so don't be afraid to come to me! Come to me whenever, I always like to talk to other members, and also sometimes known as an "acting therapst" if you have any problems you'd like to talk about. (Not a licensed therapst.)

By the way, I'm looking for members so I can start the Pack of Clear Waters!

My email is ikorealmpup@warriorcatsonline.com
Old November 7th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Mysterious....

Soooo....I auditioned fore some more stuffs and I'm planning to do a demo reel.