Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > Main Roleplay > SkyClan

Notice
Are you a master egg-finder? Check out the Spring Egg Hunt!

Need a helping hand? Check out this thread for info on how to get some egg hunt hints!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader:
Birdsnow
Deputy: Fadingsun
Medicine Cat: None

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Fallownose
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
otter in shark infested...
by nyx
Last post by nyx
Today 09:42 AM
Character interaction and...
Last post by Blazing
Today 09:40 AM
Silentpaw Everything...
Last post by Dolomedes
Today 09:26 AM
Clan Name Game
by Topaz
Last post by *_Athena_*
Today 09:23 AM
Sweet Nightmares... [P]
by Tiabirb
Last post by Tiabirb
Today 09:01 AM

Old December 4th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
"I think I just might!" Purred out the tom as he thought about it before seeming to nod his head in confirmation. The next time he caught sight of the Shadowclan medicine cat he would be sure to thank them, after all, he's hardly met Daydream and it is truly a kind act for them to be teaching Shinefang a few things. Marking it down on his mental 'to do' list, he pushed it to the back of his mind to make way for the current conversation he was having. "That is good, I'm sure they'll be able to teach you well then." While Shinefang wasn't one much for giving praise, Grousestar was the complete opposite. He believed giving praise to others was a quintessential thing when trying to keep moral and spirits high, while also just keeping everyone in a generally happy, good mood. It improved performance; not only that but, big surprise here, he was just a kind cat who couldn't help but give kind words where he saw fit. He saw nothing wrong in giving praise to others where it was due.
As Shinefang thanked him, he dipped his head with a bright smile. "No need to thank me Shinefang. And yes, I think I understand you with that bit.
I don't think I quite new what I was signing up for when I stepped up to take Lemonstar's place.
" He chuckled out quietly, shaking his head, his gaze shifting to look in front of him instead of over at the other tom. He was much more naive when he was deputy and while he did still hold some of that characteristic, it has been dulled down.
"Oh? That's a fantastic idea!" The leader paused as he heard what the older tom mentioned next, his smile faltering and his eyes glancing over to look at him. Don't say that... His mind whispered in a painfully pitiful voice. Grousestar hated the pain that came with losing someone, hated the grief that tore at his heart. It always hurt him, even if he hardly knew the cat. It hurts him when a member of Skyclan dies. Shinefang continued on before he could get too saddened by the idea, but the fear that one day Shinefang would pass on to Starclan was still tugging at him. He didn't want to think about it, didn't want it to happen. "You still have plenty of seasons left in you my friend." He meowed in a quieter tone, looking back ahead. The thought of losing the tom next to him brought him back to the time when his life was the darkest. When his parents passed on, in the elders den, right next to each other. His throat tightened slightly and he could feel a slight stinging in his eyes.
Clearing his throat as his attention was brought back to reality, he looked around for a moment before taking a scent as Shinefang noted the apparent sweet smell of chervil. The smell really didn't hit his nose right away and it took a bit of straining before he could pick it out from beneath the distant smell of squirrel, of dead leaves and other various forest smells. "Why yes, I think I do!"
Shinefang didn't respond to Grousestar's polite comment about his many seasons. He didn't doubt it. He'd got to Starclan when he was good and ready and not before if he had anything to say about it. And they'd be in for a fight if they tried to take him before he was ready. And besides, now he was focused on scenting this herb. He sniffed the air ahead, as he watched the wind stir the blanket of leaves on the ground to see which way the wind was blowing, following the scent with his nose held high. "Around here somewhere," he muttered, looking around. "Ah! Here we are!" The golden-furred tom padded up to a fern-like plants growing in a cluster in a patch of sunlight between two younger-looking trees. He sniffed the fronds one more to be safe and nodded. "Chervil. It's good for infected wounds. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it until Daydream came around and mentioned it. I've been using Burdock root. Burdock is quite a bit more potent, though. And it stings a little." Shinefang bit down on the base of one of the thick, twiggy frond and began to try and pull up to dislodge the root at well. "The root it also good for helping queens with kitting," he said through gritted teeth, straining to pull the root loose. The frond ripped with a sudden snap that nearly made Shinefang fall over backwards. Now only a small green stem remained sticking out of the earth. The old tom let the frond in his mouth fall to the ground with a sigh and padded up to the stem. He began scratching at the earth, trying to make the root easier to remove. "I wanna make sure I have this. There are some queens in the nursery that could kit any day now. Specklespring is pregnant with her third litter and she'll pop any day now," he said, chatting casually, as he tried to dig. Specklespring had been his third warrior apprentice and his late mate's sister. He knew that she'd successfully had kits before, and the old tom had picked up a few things while keeping his mate company in the nursery before the kits came. And... well, Grousestrar knew how that had ended. He was nervous about helping queens give birth. He was sure it would go smoother. He realized on some level that what had happened with his mate was a rare occurrence. But still...

Old December 5th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Lovable Cannibal

My Mood: Twisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang didn't respond to Grousestar's polite comment about his many seasons. He didn't doubt it. He'd got to Starclan when he was good and ready and not before if he had anything to say about it. And they'd be in for a fight if they tried to take him before he was ready. And besides, now he was focused on scenting this herb. He sniffed the air ahead, as he watched the wind stir the blanket of leaves on the ground to see which way the wind was blowing, following the scent with his nose held high. "Around here somewhere," he muttered, looking around. "Ah! Here we are!" The golden-furred tom padded up to a fern-like plants growing in a cluster in a patch of sunlight between two younger-looking trees. He sniffed the fronds one more to be safe and nodded. "Chervil. It's good for infected wounds. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it until Daydream came around and mentioned it. I've been using Burdock root. Burdock is quite a bit more potent, though. And it stings a little." Shinefang bit down on the base of one of the thick, twiggy frond and began to try and pull up to dislodge the root at well. "The root it also good for helping queens with kitting," he said through gritted teeth, straining to pull the root loose. The frond ripped with a sudden snap that nearly made Shinefang fall over backwards. Now only a small green stem remained sticking out of the earth. The old tom let the frond in his mouth fall to the ground with a sigh and padded up to the stem. He began scratching at the earth, trying to make the root easier to remove. "I wanna make sure I have this. There are some queens in the nursery that could kit any day now. Specklespring is pregnant with her third litter and she'll pop any day now," he said, chatting casually, as he tried to dig. Specklespring had been his third warrior apprentice and his late mate's sister. He knew that she'd successfully had kits before, and the old tom had picked up a few things while keeping his mate company in the nursery before the kits came. And... well, Grousestrar knew how that had ended. He was nervous about helping queens give birth. He was sure it would go smoother. He realized on some level that what had happened with his mate was a rare occurrence. But still...
The leader was quietly glad that the medicine cat didn't respond to his comment about him having many seasons left, he wanted to move on from that subject quicker than anything. And by the grace of Starclan the change of subject came, focusing now on the herb that Shinefang had scented and told him about. It took him a moment to pick out the smell, but he was able to, doing his best to document it in his head so that if he needed the information later on, he could recall it. Though part of him was doubtful that he would remember it, there were many other things that he had to worry about as leader, the smell of a herb was unfortunately not high on his priority list. But he did appreciate the medicine cat teaching him about it, it was a kind gesture.
Turning his head, he tried to pinpoint the source of the relatively sweet smell, his tail flicking back and forth in thought but it was just so hard when other smells tried to grab his attention. Perhaps it was something that the medicine cat had gotten used to, looking for herbs. What did he say it looked like?
A.. Fern or something?
Grousestar almost wanted to imagine it as a flower, since it did have a sweet smell, but another part of him argued that that's not what Shinefang told him it looked like. Luckily enough he didn't have to think about it for long because the older tom had already found it.
With a newfound smile, he quickly padded after Shinefang as he approached the fern-like plant. "Hm, well I suppose we're pretty lucky to have some in the territory! Hopefully we won't have to use it a whole lot, now that the Syndicate is truly gone." His tail flicked back and forth slowly as he watched the other tom struggle to pull the root up out of the ground. "Oh!
Well in that case, I do hope we use it a lot! It's always good to have more kits in the clan. And really? That's good news, I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps I could visit her sometime in the nursery after she's had her little ones; I do love seeing all the kits.
" Flicking his ear, something flickered in his mind as they were on the topic of queens and kits. He lost his mate and his kits.. He had heard it around the camp, though hadn't actually gotten all of the details. Glancing over, Grousestar didn't really think about what he was asking, or how it might hurt the other tom, he more or less blurted it out.
"Isn't it painful? To help the queens.. I mean surely, you must enjoy being able to help them bring new life into the clan, but does.. It still hurt?"
The leader blinked a bit after he said this before quickly going to correct himself.
"I apologize for being so blunt. If it's too much to answer, feel free to ignore what I asked."

Credit to the wonderful Endless on WCO for my profile picture! Wonderful picture of Hannibal <3
Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
The leader was quietly glad that the medicine cat didn't respond to his comment about him having many seasons left, he wanted to move on from that subject quicker than anything. And by the grace of Starclan the change of subject came, focusing now on the herb that Shinefang had scented and told him about. It took him a moment to pick out the smell, but he was able to, doing his best to document it in his head so that if he needed the information later on, he could recall it. Though part of him was doubtful that he would remember it, there were many other things that he had to worry about as leader, the smell of a herb was unfortunately not high on his priority list. But he did appreciate the medicine cat teaching him about it, it was a kind gesture.
Turning his head, he tried to pinpoint the source of the relatively sweet smell, his tail flicking back and forth in thought but it was just so hard when other smells tried to grab his attention. Perhaps it was something that the medicine cat had gotten used to, looking for herbs. What did he say it looked like?
A.. Fern or something?
Grousestar almost wanted to imagine it as a flower, since it did have a sweet smell, but another part of him argued that that's not what Shinefang told him it looked like. Luckily enough he didn't have to think about it for long because the older tom had already found it.
With a newfound smile, he quickly padded after Shinefang as he approached the fern-like plant. "Hm, well I suppose we're pretty lucky to have some in the territory! Hopefully we won't have to use it a whole lot, now that the Syndicate is truly gone." His tail flicked back and forth slowly as he watched the other tom struggle to pull the root up out of the ground. "Oh!
Well in that case, I do hope we use it a lot! It's always good to have more kits in the clan. And really? That's good news, I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps I could visit her sometime in the nursery after she's had her little ones; I do love seeing all the kits.
" Flicking his ear, something flickered in his mind as they were on the topic of queens and kits. He lost his mate and his kits.. He had heard it around the camp, though hadn't actually gotten all of the details. Glancing over, Grousestar didn't really think about what he was asking, or how it might hurt the other tom, he more or less blurted it out.
"Isn't it painful? To help the queens.. I mean surely, you must enjoy being able to help them bring new life into the clan, but does.. It still hurt?"
The leader blinked a bit after he said this before quickly going to correct himself.
"I apologize for being so blunt. If it's too much to answer, feel free to ignore what I asked."
Shinefang continued digging as Grousestar spoke. "You should. Just make sure no toms come to visit at the same time. Handsome young tom like you around their mates? They may get the wrong idea." Shinefang let out a mischievous chortle at his own off-color joke, then grabbed hold of the stem in his teeth again and pulled. This time the root came free, and he stumbled back as he struggled to keep his balance. He inspected the knobby root briefly and nodded. "That's a good one," he muttered to himself. He'd heard Groustar's question, but didn't answer right away. He didn't turn and look at the leader. When he had given the root a lengthy inspection, he stood straight and stared into the distance. "I just don't want to see it happen to another queen... to another father. I remember some things from when Slatepelt was in the nursery... before she kitted. But I want... need to learn more." The tom turned around and glanced briefly at the young, brown tabby. His remaining orange eye was clouded with grief. "I missed her everyday." Shinefang had always felt like a little part of himself had died that day. For the longest time, part of him wished the rest had too. But he'd survived. He'd moved forward, and he'd become an outstanding warrior. He'd made a good life for himself. But he'd have traded it all for just one more day with Slatepelt. The tom stood up at last. "We ought to keep moving," when he looked at Grousestar, the grief was gone again, shoved into the darkest corner of his being where anger and hatred for the cats he blamed for her death festered and infected him for years until it had become a part of him. Now he just looked like the driven warrior-turned-medicine cat again. "We'll collect the root on the way back."

Last edited by Charmer; December 5th, 2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Lovable Cannibal

Quote:
Shinefang continued digging as Grousestar spoke. "You should. Just make sure no toms come to visit at the same time. Handsome young tom like you around their mates? They may get the wrong idea." Shinefang let out a mischievous chortle at his own off-color joke, then grabbed hold of the stem in his teeth again and pulled. This time the root came free, and he stumbled back as he struggled to keep his balance. He inspected the knobby root briefly and nodded. "That's a good one," he muttered to himself. He'd heard Groustar's question, but didn't answer right away. He didn't turn and look at the leader. When he had given the root a lengthy inspection, he stood straight and stared into the distance. "I just don't want to see it happen to another queen... to another father. I remember some things from when Slatepelt was in the nursery... before she kitted. But I want... need to learn more." The tom turned around and glanced briefly at the young, brown tabby. His remaining orange eye was clouded with grief. "I missed her everyday." Shinefang had always felt like a little part of himself had died that day. For the longest time, part of him wished the rest had too. But he'd survived. He'd moved forward, and he'd become an outstanding warrior. He'd made a good life for himself. But he'd have traded it all for just one more day with Slatepelt. The tom stood up at last. "We ought to keep moving," when he looked at Grousestar, the grief was gone again, shoved into the darkest corner of his being where anger and hatred for the cats he blamed for her death festered and infected him for years until it had become a part of him. Now he just looked like the driven warrior-turned-medicine cat again. "We'll collect the root on the way back."
At the joke, the leader chuckled out and shook his head lightly. "I'm not sure if handsome would be the best word to describe me, I appreciate the compliment however, they'd likely more or less see me as annoying! I know I've heard that one plenty of times." Watching the medicine cat continue to struggle with the root, he halfway wondered why he hadn't offered his help yet. But by the time he was getting ready to offer it, he had pulled it out of the ground himself. Always getting lost in conversation aren't you? His mind teased, causing him to roll his eyes with a small laugh to himself; which might have seemed a bit odd considering there had been no conversational ques to elicit such a reaction. But then it disappeared as he was brought back into the conversation, muting himself so that he could hear Shinefang properly. His eyes glanced over with a gentle look, ready to look away if the medicine seemed uncomfortable under his gaze. Slowly his head would nod and he would glance at the ground. While he couldn't relate to that pain, for even Grousestar hardly knew what love was, he understood what the older tom meant by needing to know more so that he could try to prevent this from happening to any other cat.
"Right!" Eager to move away from the pain he had caused, he mentally cursed himself from bringing it up in the first place. "So that was chervil. What other little plants are you on the hunt for today? Or are you just going around seeing what you can find?" He mentally marked the location where they were leaving the root, something he was actually pretty decent now; the leader was beginning to know this territory like the back of his paw, especially considering he was out walking and hunting in it almost every day.

Credit to the wonderful Endless on WCO for my profile picture! Wonderful picture of Hannibal <3
Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?
Old December 5th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
At the joke, the leader chuckled out and shook his head lightly. "I'm not sure if handsome would be the best word to describe me, I appreciate the compliment however, they'd likely more or less see me as annoying! I know I've heard that one plenty of times." Watching the medicine cat continue to struggle with the root, he halfway wondered why he hadn't offered his help yet. But by the time he was getting ready to offer it, he had pulled it out of the ground himself. Always getting lost in conversation aren't you? His mind teased, causing him to roll his eyes with a small laugh to himself; which might have seemed a bit odd considering there had been no conversational ques to elicit such a reaction. But then it disappeared as he was brought back into the conversation, muting himself so that he could hear Shinefang properly. His eyes glanced over with a gentle look, ready to look away if the medicine seemed uncomfortable under his gaze. Slowly his head would nod and he would glance at the ground. While he couldn't relate to that pain, for even Grousestar hardly knew what love was, he understood what the older tom meant by needing to know more so that he could try to prevent this from happening to any other cat.
"Right!" Eager to move away from the pain he had caused, he mentally cursed himself from bringing it up in the first place. "So that was chervil. What other little plants are you on the hunt for today? Or are you just going around seeing what you can find?" He mentally marked the location where they were leaving the root, something he was actually pretty decent now; the leader was beginning to know this territory like the back of his paw, especially considering he was out walking and hunting in it almost every day.
"Bit of both," Shinefang said as he padded on. "A few herbs I noticed here and there while out hunting or patrolling, but I didn't exactly commit their location to memory unless I knew what they were. And besides, now that I'm able to look at what Ebonyfrost left behind in her den, I know what she kept in her stores. I may not know how to use all of it, but I at least know what it looks and smells like now. But I am wondering about one plant in particular: I only know of one catmint plant in the territory. But it was dangerously close to the Dusk Syndicate border. And it was a scrawny plant at that. But we'll need catmint for leafbare. If there isn't enough, I may need to go with some warriors to twoleg place. It sometimes grows in their gardens." That would not be the first time Shinefang had gone on such a journey. When he was an apprentice an his mother was deathly ill with the greencough, he had blatantly disobeyed his mentor and left camp in the middle of a blizzard to find more. He had found the precious herb, but the journey had cost him his right eye when he got cornered and attacked by a kittypet. And in the end, he hadn't made it back in time to save his mother. "Hopefully it'll go better than last time. I'm running out of eyes," he said chuckling. Shinefang paused to give the air a sniff, but noticing nothing of note, he kept talking. "How is leadership treating you, Grousestar?"

Last edited by Charmer; December 5th, 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Lovable Cannibal

Quote:
"Bit of both," Shinefang said as he padded on. "A few herbs I noticed here and there while out hunting or patrolling, but I didn't exactly commit their location to memory unless I knew what they were. And besides, now that I'm able to look at what Ebonyfrost left behind in her den, I know what she kept in her stores. I may not know how to use all of it, but I at least know what it looks and smells like now. But I am wondering about one plant in particular: I only know of one catmint plant in the territory. But it was dangerously close to the Dusk Syndicate border. And it was a scrawny plant at that. But we'll need catmint for leafbare. If there isn't enough, I may need to go with some warriors to twoleg place. It sometimes grows in their gardens." That would not be the first time Shinefang had gone on such a journey. When he was an apprentice an his mother was deathly ill with the greencough, he had blatantly disobeyed his mentor and left camp in the middle of a blizzard to find more. He had found the precious herb, but the journey had cost him his right eye when he got cornered and attacked by a kittypet. And in the end, he hadn't made it back in time to save his mother. "Hopefully it'll go better than last time. I'm running out of eyes," he said chuckling. Shinefang paused to give the air a sniff, but noticing nothing of note, he kept talking. "How is leadership treating you, Grousestar?"
"Well then that's a good start I suppose! And I'm sure with Daydream helping you out, you'll be able to know those plants pretty well." Curling the tip of his tail in the air, he'd continue to listen to what Shinefang had to say before he caught something that intrigued him. Looking over as them medicine cat mentioned catmint 'dangerously close' to the Syndicate border and then going on to saying that he would have to travel all the way to twoleg place to get some more. It was a dangerous and long trek to get to the twoleg place, and Grousestar didn't like the thought of his new medicine cat, even if he was previously a warrior, traveling all that way, even with a patrol. It was just not a risk he wanted to take. "You know Shine, if you don't mind me calling you that... I do think it would be safe for you to go into the former Syndicate's territory by now. Actually, I think that would be a fantastic idea to try and salvage the herbs they have left behind because surely they must have had some sort of healers in their group. Maybe you'll be able to get catmint more safely there than having to travel all the way to twoleg place." Ever since that battle at the gathering, when they did completely destroy the Syndicate and left it's remains to scatter completely, his mind has been on that vacant territory. Skyclan could use the extra land for its herbs, and even its prey. Maybe he should send a few hunting patrols out to test the waters...
Blinking out of his thoughts as Shinefang started talking again, he'd look over just as the medicine cat was chuckling, having missed what he said but chuckling along with him as if he had heard.
"Oh hm. It's fine, most of the time, though I do worry sometimes about my decision making. There's a lot more pressure with it when a whole clan is resting on your shoulders." He said with what might have been made out as a wince, but he was looking away so it would be hard to really tell what the look had been.

Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
"Well then that's a good start I suppose! And I'm sure with Daydream helping you out, you'll be able to know those plants pretty well." Curling the tip of his tail in the air, he'd continue to listen to what Shinefang had to say before he caught something that intrigued him. Looking over as them medicine cat mentioned catmint 'dangerously close' to the Syndicate border and then going on to saying that he would have to travel all the way to twoleg place to get some more. It was a dangerous and long trek to get to the twoleg place, and Grousestar didn't like the thought of his new medicine cat, even if he was previously a warrior, traveling all that way, even with a patrol. It was just not a risk he wanted to take. "You know Shine, if you don't mind me calling you that... I do think it would be safe for you to go into the former Syndicate's territory by now. Actually, I think that would be a fantastic idea to try and salvage the herbs they have left behind because surely they must have had some sort of healers in their group. Maybe you'll be able to get catmint more safely there than having to travel all the way to twoleg place." Ever since that battle at the gathering, when they did completely destroy the Syndicate and left it's remains to scatter completely, his mind has been on that vacant territory. Skyclan could use the extra land for its herbs, and even its prey. Maybe he should send a few hunting patrols out to test the waters...
Blinking out of his thoughts as Shinefang started talking again, he'd look over just as the medicine cat was chuckling, having missed what he said but chuckling along with him as if he had heard.
"Oh hm. It's fine, most of the time, though I do worry sometimes about my decision making. There's a lot more pressure with it when a whole clan is resting on your shoulders." He said with what might have been made out as a wince, but he was looking away so it would be hard to really tell what the look had been.
"That's the hope," he said, nodding at Grousestar's optimism. It seemed like the leader was hardly phased by the problem Shinefang's subpar knowledge presented. He had at most two moons to prepare for the cold and harsh weather that could bring white couch and green cough to the clan. It very well might not be enough, and Acornpaw would not be the last cat he lost before newleaf. Grousestar was either abnormally resilient in the face of adversity or too foolish to realize just how deep the foxdung that Skyclan had stepped in really was. He couldn't even say it was necessarily one or the other, but one thing he knew is that he had faith in Grousestar as a leader. He had followed him here from their old territory for good reason: the brown tabby may have be naive, but he was sensible and he cared for his clan well. Shinefang had nothing but respect for any cat who cared for his clan the way he believed it deserved to be cared for. Even so, it surprised him when the tom called him, 'Shine'. "Shinefang if you don't mind. Only the shecats can call me Shine." He played it off, like a joke, but the truth was the only two cats had ever called him Shine, his mate and his mother. Grousestar was neither.

The old tom listened intently as Grousestar suggested traveling to Dusk syndicate territory in search of herbs. He was so surprised to hear the suggestion that he actually stopped to look at Grousestar's face. Was he serious? It was a bold move if so. There may well have been herbs left over in whatever the Syndicate had that passed for a camp, but what intrigued Shinefang the most about this idea was that with their territory now unclaimed, this expedition the leader was proposing could be the first pawstep toward widening the territory. This was another thing he liked about Grousestar, the younger cat was more cunning than he let on, and full of surprises. "Hmmm. I think there's some real potential there. exploring the Dusk Syndicate territory nearly doubles the possible places to find herbs. I doubt any healers the Syndicate knew as much as a trained medicine cat about herbs and how to use them. There may be herbs that are untouched entirely! There may be herbs that don't grow in Skyclan territory at all!" The more Shinefang spoke, the more excited about the prospect he became, until his tail was raised and twitching, and his scarred face brandished a grin that looked like a grimace. "Yes! Excellent plan! But I think should still take a patrol in that case. Just because the Syndicate disbanded doesn't mean there are no bad-tempered, former members lingering in the shadows. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't fight like I used to if I run into trouble." It hurt to admit, but it was true. The old warrior was past his prime. And he couldn't risk his life foolishly now. His clan needed him. At the statement about the pressure of leadership, Shinefang nodded. "There was a time when I was young and foolish, when I thought about what a nice ring 'Shinestar' had to it. But power is a heavy burden, and I don't envy you now. Many lives rest on the decisions the leaders make in times like this. Thankfully, Skyclan is lucky enough to have a leader with a decent mind. Not like those mousebrains leading Windclan and Thunderclan." The medicine cat's teeth curled in a momentary snarl as he shook his head. "Challenging another clan to war so soon before leafbare. Blazingstar has a funny way of avenging his starved warriors: killing more of them."

Last edited by Charmer; December 7th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Lovable Cannibal

Quote:
"That's the hope," he said, nodding at Grousestar's optimism. It seemed like the leader was hardly phased by the problem Shinefang's subpar knowledge presented. He had at most two moons to prepare for the cold and harsh weather that could bring white couch and green cough to the clan. It very well might not be enough, and Acornpaw would not be the last cat he lost before newleaf. Grousestar was either abnormally resilient in the face of adversity or too foolish to realize just how deep the foxdung that Skyclan had stepped in really was. He couldn't even say it was necessarily one or the other, but one thing he knew is that he had faith in Grousestar as a leader. He had followed him here from their old territory for good reason: the brown tabby may have be naive, but he was sensible and he cared for his clan well. Shinefang had nothing but respect for any cat who cared for his clan the way he believed it deserved to be cared for. Even so, it surprised him when the tom called him, 'Shine'. "Shinefang if you don't mind. Only the shecats can call me Shine." He played it off, like a joke, but the truth was the only two cats had ever called him Shine, his mate and his mother. Grousestar was neither.

The old tom listened intently as Grousestar suggested traveling to Dusk syndicate territory in search of herbs. He was so surprised to hear the suggestion that he actually stopped to look at Grousestar's face. Was he serious? It was a bold move if so. There may well have been herbs left over in whatever the Syndicate had that passed for a camp, but what intrigued Shinefang the most about this idea was that with their territory now unclaimed, this expedition the leader was proposing could be the first pawstep toward widening the territory. This was another thing he liked about Grousestar, the younger cat was more cunning than he let on, and full of surprises. "Hmmm. I think there's some real potential there. exploring the Dusk Syndicate territory nearly doubles the possible places to find herbs. I doubt any healers the Syndicate knew as much as a trained medicine cat about herbs and how to use them. There may be herbs that are untouched entirely! There may be herbs that don't grow in Skyclan territory at all!" The more Shinefang spoke, the more excited about the prospect he became, until his tail was raised and twitching, and his scarred face brandished a grin that looked like a grimace. "Yes! Excellent plan! But I think should still take a patrol in that case. Just because the Syndicate disbanded doesn't mean there are no bad-tempered, former members lingering in the shadows. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't fight like I used to if I run into trouble." It hurt to admit, but it was true. The old warrior was past his prime. And he couldn't risk his life foolishly now. His clan needed him. At the statement about the pressure of leadership, Shinefang nodded. "There was a time when I was young and foolish, when I thought about what a nice ring 'Shinestar' had to it. But power is a heavy burden, and I don't envy you now. Many lives rest on the decisions the leaders make in times like this. Thankfully, Skyclan is lucky enough to have a leader with a decent mind. Not like those mousebrains leading Windclan and Thunderclan." The medicine cat's teeth curled in a momentary snarl as he shook his head. "Challenging another clan to war so soon before leafbare. Blazingstar has a funny way of avenging his starved warriors: killing more of them."
Grousestar knew fully well the problems that the medicine cat phased, with them only having some knowledge on herbs, less than a fully blown medicine cat should have. But he also knew that Shinefang was the only one they had to rely on. Ebonyfrost hadn't taken up an apprentice in her time as medicine cat; there was no one in the camp fully trained in the ways of a medicine cat. So he knew that it would be useless, even detrimental, if he gave anything but hope for the medicine cat. If he made Shinefang truly feel subpar, like he wasn't doing the best he could, then he wouldn't perform as well, and may even give up on the duties leaving them in an even worse predicament than before. So yes, he would seem naive, maybe even stupid for not outright acknowledging that Shinefang had subpar knowledge in the area of herbs. But he would take that over possibly jeopardizing the medicine cat's decision to stay and medicine cat. Grousestar would never let any other cat know his way of thinking, he would let them remain thinking that he was a naive tom with his head in the cloud full of optimism and cheer because that's what kept cats happy, that's what gave him his charisma. But the second he revealed his true thinking, the way cats looked at him would change. He didn't need that right now. He needed them to remain believing that he was nothing but a ball of cheer and fun.

As Shinefang stopped, so too did the leader, looking over to look at him in the eyes, reading the surprise there but not saying anything, waiting to see what the other tom would say first. He knew there were still dangers to watch out for in the former Syndicate territory, and he knew it was a really bold move to try and make a move on the territory so soon after their dismantlement. But he believed it would greatly benefit Skyclan in the end, especially with the harshest season to come looming so near. And it also occurred to him that the other clans likely wouldn't try to claim the territory, they would have to travel a bit of a ways just to get to it and he just couldn't see them doing that in order to get prey or territory in general. Not only that, but two of them seemed to be distracted in a feud anyways, they wouldn't be paying attention.
When the medicine cat finally did speak, the leader smiled brightly, the older tom voicing his thoughts exactly. Nodding his head but not interrupted the excited spewing of Shinefang, Grousestar couldn't help but chuckle. Quietly glad that the other tom agreed his idea was a good one, and could be very beneficial. If Shinefang had doubted him, he would find doubt in his own plan as well. Shinefang was a wise cat, he had many moons under his belt, so his opinion mattered greatly to Grousestar, just the same as Auroraflame's.
"Oh most certainly, I wasn't planning on sending you out there alone especially with the possibility of some of their members remaining in their old territory. When we get back to camp, I'll organize a patrol and we can head out as soon as your ready." There was the seriousness he tried not to show too often, but he figured that Shinefang should know that he could be serious at times.
Then a light smile began to show on his muzzle again as the conversation shifted slightly to Shinefang's original question. "Yes, when I was younger I used to play with-" My younger brother.. "-other kits in the nursery, acting like the deputy, or the leader at times. I never imagined I would actually take the role. And it's not as exciting and fun like I thought it would be when I was a kit. It's a hard job that others don't quite realize. I appreciate the kind words." Glancing over as the other tom mentioned Windclan and Thunderclan, all he could do was sigh and shake his head. "It is rather foolish of them to try and go to war so soon to leaf-bare. I only hope the casualties on both sides are minimal, but I don't think stepping in to help either side will be beneficial to us. It'll only end up getting Skyclan cat's killed, and for no good reason."

Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Grousestar knew fully well the problems that the medicine cat phased, with them only having some knowledge on herbs, less than a fully blown medicine cat should have. But he also knew that Shinefang was the only one they had to rely on. Ebonyfrost hadn't taken up an apprentice in her time as medicine cat; there was no one in the camp fully trained in the ways of a medicine cat. So he knew that it would be useless, even detrimental, if he gave anything but hope for the medicine cat. If he made Shinefang truly feel subpar, like he wasn't doing the best he could, then he wouldn't perform as well, and may even give up on the duties leaving them in an even worse predicament than before. So yes, he would seem naive, maybe even stupid for not outright acknowledging that Shinefang had subpar knowledge in the area of herbs. But he would take that over possibly jeopardizing the medicine cat's decision to stay and medicine cat. Grousestar would never let any other cat know his way of thinking, he would let them remain thinking that he was a naive tom with his head in the cloud full of optimism and cheer because that's what kept cats happy, that's what gave him his charisma. But the second he revealed his true thinking, the way cats looked at him would change. He didn't need that right now. He needed them to remain believing that he was nothing but a ball of cheer and fun.

As Shinefang stopped, so too did the leader, looking over to look at him in the eyes, reading the surprise there but not saying anything, waiting to see what the other tom would say first. He knew there were still dangers to watch out for in the former Syndicate territory, and he knew it was a really bold move to try and make a move on the territory so soon after their dismantlement. But he believed it would greatly benefit Skyclan in the end, especially with the harshest season to come looming so near. And it also occurred to him that the other clans likely wouldn't try to claim the territory, they would have to travel a bit of a ways just to get to it and he just couldn't see them doing that in order to get prey or territory in general. Not only that, but two of them seemed to be distracted in a feud anyways, they wouldn't be paying attention.
When the medicine cat finally did speak, the leader smiled brightly, the older tom voicing his thoughts exactly. Nodding his head but not interrupted the excited spewing of Shinefang, Grousestar couldn't help but chuckle. Quietly glad that the other tom agreed his idea was a good one, and could be very beneficial. If Shinefang had doubted him, he would find doubt in his own plan as well. Shinefang was a wise cat, he had many moons under his belt, so his opinion mattered greatly to Grousestar, just the same as Auroraflame's.
"Oh most certainly, I wasn't planning on sending you out there alone especially with the possibility of some of their members remaining in their old territory. When we get back to camp, I'll organize a patrol and we can head out as soon as your ready." There was the seriousness he tried not to show too often, but he figured that Shinefang should know that he could be serious at times.
Then a light smile began to show on his muzzle again as the conversation shifted slightly to Shinefang's original question. "Yes, when I was younger I used to play with-" My younger brother.. "-other kits in the nursery, acting like the deputy, or the leader at times. I never imagined I would actually take the role. And it's not as exciting and fun like I thought it would be when I was a kit. It's a hard job that others don't quite realize. I appreciate the kind words." Glancing over as the other tom mentioned Windclan and Thunderclan, all he could do was sigh and shake his head. "It is rather foolish of them to try and go to war so soon to leaf-bare. I only hope the casualties on both sides are minimal, but I don't think stepping in to help either side will be beneficial to us. It'll only end up getting Skyclan cat's killed, and for no good reason."
"Good. Good." Shinefang's reply was distant as the old tom's mind raced with the possibilities of the expedition. Reclaiming any gathered herbs, harvesting herbs they had never had access to, the possibility of more land on which the warrior's and apprentices could hunt and feed the clan. If this worked, Skyclan could become greater and stronger than ever before. And even if the other clans objected, what could they do? The territory was too far off for them to defend. The thought unfurled just as suddenly as he realized he shouldn't be thinking like that. Medicine cats were supposed to be above all the clan rivalries and focus on the greater picture, and show loyalty to the twinkly foxhearts. He may have understood the reasoning for it, but it didn't make him love Skyclan any less. If Starclan really had an issue with that, then they should have picked a different cat. The fact that he was no longer a warrior didn't matter. He had sworn to defend his clan at the cost of his life, and he would continue to do so.

As Grousestar spoke about his days as an eager kit, playing leader and deputy Shinefang listened quietly. Sometimes it was hard to imagine the same kit who had been shaken by the loss of his brother had grown up to be the happy and confident cat he saw before him. What had happened to the leader's brother had been tragic. The medicine cat briefly wondered if his leader ever thought about whether his brother would be proud of him. Next time I have a dream, I'll have to see if Grousestar's brother would care to leave a message with me. Shinefang didn't doubt the kit was dead. It was a harsh world out there for a young cat. He ought to know. He didn't say anything about this though. Grousestar never spoke about his brother, but if Shinefang knew anything, it was that when you lost someone precious to you, they were never far from your mind. And if the loss was absent for the moment, why cut short the reprieve? "I don't speak kindly. I speak candidly. If I thought you were making bad decisions, you'd know. If Blazingstar and Snowstar were right here with us my opinion would be no differnt. I'd tell them what mousebrains they were being to their faces. You're right to keep Skyclan out of that foolishness." Shinefang rarely saw the need to filter his thoughts. His younger days of stressing and fretting about other cat's opinions were long gone. At his age, it just didn't seem important. It was by far, his favorite part of growing old. "Shall we continue on this hunt in the mean time?" he asked, wondering if the leader would prefer to put together that patrol sooner rather than later. "We could finish up in the territory today and set off for Dusk Syndicate territory first thing," he supposed thinking out loud. "It'll give us the full day to explore."

Old December 14th, 2017, 04:17 PM

My Mood: Yeehaw

(I'm not sure if I'm allowed to just jump in with my character... Please correct me if I make any mistakes)

Snakestripe purred in delight as a flock of birds darted from tree to tree. Oh, how she wished to follow them. The weather was fine, the area was still and quiet and she felt like she could fly.

But she couldn't; this was SkyClan territory, and if she made too big of a ruckus, she would be caught. Ever since she'd left ThunderClan, Snakestripe had been looking for someplace to live. Making a good impression on SkyClan would be her first step. To do so, she planned to sneak to the camp and announce herself, rather than being found and dragged to the camp for humiliation.

Her ears pricked as the sounds of felines came from nearby. Hide!, she yelled at herself, and dived inside a hollow space under a tree root.

I've got to be quiet.