Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > OOC > Old News

Notice
Are you a master egg-finder? Check out the Spring Egg Hunt!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader:
Birdsnow
Deputy: Fadingsun
Medicine Cat: None

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Fallownose
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Cattail Pond
by BEAR.
Last post by willooowfeather
Today 07:06 AM
Sketches by a plant
Last post by blxze.
Today 07:06 AM
Spring Egg Hunt 2024
Last post by Peril
Today 06:55 AM
ThunderClan Medicine Cat's...
by dino.
Last post by Peril
Today 06:52 AM
Kestrelpaw training:...
by blxze.
Last post by blxze.
Today 06:48 AM
View Poll Results: Should the Roleplaying and Plot Resources be merged together?
Yes, merge the Roleplaying and Plot Resources together. 50 41.67%
No, don't merge the Roleplaying and Plot Resources together. 45 37.50%
No preference. 25 20.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 17th, 2017, 10:25 PM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days
My Mood: Kingly

Default Resources Poll

Hi guys,

Some of you might recall when the staff merged the original "Find Center" and "Roleplay Resources" categories on the old version of Warrior Cats Online. This change was made since it was determined there was no logical reason to have two very similar categories cluttering the main forum index.

This thought remains true; despite previous opposition of our attempt at merging, there is still no point in having one inactive category and one active category when their content is identical -- both are seeking roles, and the sole difference is one category has a predetermined story to go with each role. However, even this can spark confusion among members because there is an extremely thin line between looking only for family/friends etc. and having a plot to go along with it.

In an effort to give the forums a cleaner appearance and reduce redundancy, we'd prefer to merge Roleplaying and Plot Resources into one category (threads and posts will be kept) named "Resources", but we have added a poll to collect member feedback before making a decision on the matter.

Thanks for your input!

Also, for those curious about the Help Den's name change - we recently discovered a former staff member plagiarized the category title from another site, and we wished to amend the issue on their behalf.

Last edited by BEAR.; July 19th, 2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:46 AM
5,445 posts on old site

My Mood: Fine

Default Re: Resources Poll

Wouldn't it be way more cluttered this way. What exactly is the benefit in it; besides less tabs in the OOC area? I can see it would mean searching longer for plot or a family finder etc, but what benefit is that exactly? @Lunacross

My prefix finder website, consists of all the prefixes I could think of that are valid for wco linked here
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Granny

My Mood: Psychedelic

My concern is that we will be conflating "plot" with "resources"

Okay okay hear me out lol what I mean is that, I've thought of the resources bin as a place to look for players who are willing to build up a repertoire with you so that future open threads can have a direction or just to establish a relationship. Plots themselves are a bit different to me because that suggests that we will be actually playing out an arc of some kind...

Which I mean, if you want to establish a relationship between some charries, having a plot arc is pretty essential for that. I but I like being able to find people to RP with before we've necessarily found a way to plot between our charries. I guess it's not really a big deal either way lol
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:26 AM
whats up danger?

Personally there are so many plots and so many finders each day, that it would just become cluttered. People make plots and finders every single day, that would mean constant bumping and such and I think the only way for this to be a good system is if staff keep up with inactive threads/finders if they do merge. theres really no benefit besides making it look nicer and look more simple and organized, but with how many finders are put up eachday and how many plots are, I feel it would become cluttered easily.
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:48 AM

My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
Wouldn't it be way more cluttered this way. What exactly is the benefit in it; besides less tabs in the OOC area? I can see it would mean searching longer for plot or a family finder etc, but what benefit is that exactly? @Lunacross
This is why I voted don't merge them.exact reason so I'm just joining this little group :3

Please take them • If you want to contact me, please do it on discord
Old July 19th, 2017, 01:08 PM
work is never done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
Thanks for the questions!

By "cluttered", I'm going to assume you mean "more threads in one category." If so, there might (see following paragraph) be more of them but that doesn't necessarily equate to cluttered.

To my knowledge, it's usually an inconvenience and source of confusion to have to split up a family/friend/SO finder from a "plot" finder because they overlap so heavily. It's possible that ONLY finder or ONLY plot threads will disappear entirely, making the clutter nonexistent. Not to mention, Plot Resources is a fraction of Roleplaying Resources and is extremely unused in comparison - you can verify this by looking at the forum index.

Would you elaborate on how the merge would require searching longer? If you're using the search function, you can have it search the category and sort the results by date to ensure the thread is still active.
If you're not using the search function, that's a personal (albeit inconvenient) preference. However, I'd say it depends on what you're looking for and how accurately threads are titled. If you want to be the family member of another member's character, you probably won't click on a 'Mentor needed for [character]' thread.
If you are looking through each individual thread, merging the categories should save you time since they will be contained to one area.

The benefits are outlined in the original post, and I don't want to sound like a broken record repeating them. But to put it shortly, the benefit is that we won't have two categories currently in the same niche, nor will we have folks uncertain of where to place threads that have a plot and are looking for mentor/app or familial or friend roles. As it stands, Roleplaying Resources is basically Plot Resources considering the need for character roles...but merely without the pre-determined plot, and that's silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woly View Post
Personally there are so many plots and so many finders each day, that it would just become cluttered. People make plots and finders every single day, that would mean constant bumping and such and I think the only way for this to be a good system is if staff keep up with inactive threads/finders if they do merge. theres really no benefit besides making it look nicer and look more simple and organized, but with how many finders are put up eachday and how many plots are, I feel it would become cluttered easily.
There aren't many plots posted each day, actually! So far in this month (since July 2nd), there's only been twenty threads (either made or posted in) -- and only half of those have been posted in within the past week.

Statistically speaking (since the previous months have shown there's only around 30 plots posted per month at most), it's likely a few extra threads would be introduced to the Resources, but that wouldn't punish active or inactive threads - they'll just be filtered to their last post date.

We're willing to archive the older posts if you'd like that - like with the other categories with Archived threads, they'd be accessible to everyone and removed from the main category. We don't pull threads out of there but users are always welcomed to repost their older threads.

wolfhive
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:08 PM
P~R~I~D~E~

My Mood: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacross View Post

woah that was long
1) There is a difference between finding friends and finding people for plots... I think we should keep it separate,
2) If it is merged, instead of Resources you could call it Cat Help or something? Something original, like The Kit-Kat Finders?

Skitty_Kitty, Sweet Skittles,Sweet Bread, Sweet Skies

- Reach 100+ friends.
- Have a character become a high rank
- Be part of a prophecy
- Have a successful rp / plot
Charrie Site | PM Me | Warrior Cats Era, My site |
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:07 PM
work is never done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
1) There is a difference between finding friends and finding people for plots... I think we should keep it separate,
2) If it is merged, instead of Resources you could call it Cat Help or something? Something original, like The Kit-Kat Finders?
as it stands, the plot resources are basically detailed finders for roles in a pre-determined story. the difference between that and the roleplay resources isn't significant, especially when paired with the plot resources being considerably less active (since my last post, the number of plots posted in within the last week has gone down to 9.) it'd be easier for everyone to have one location for all their role finding needs, regardless of whether or not they have a set story to go along with it.

we're probably not going to deviate from 'resources', but thank you for your suggestions!

wolfhive
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:43 PM
P~R~I~D~E~

My Mood: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacross View Post

as it stands, the plot resources are basically detailed finders for roles in a pre-determined story. the difference between that and the roleplay resources isn't significant, especially when paired with the plot resources being considerably less active (since my last post, the number of plots posted in within the last week has gone down to 9.) it'd be easier for everyone to have one location for all their role finding needs, regardless of whether or not they have a set story to go along with it.

we're probably not going to deviate from 'resources', but thank you for your suggestions!
<3

Skitty_Kitty, Sweet Skittles,Sweet Bread, Sweet Skies

- Reach 100+ friends.
- Have a character become a high rank
- Be part of a prophecy
- Have a successful rp / plot
Charrie Site | PM Me | Warrior Cats Era, My site |
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:54 PM
cool

My Mood: Adorable

hahaha what a throwback aaa