Last post by Omari
Today 03:05 PM
The Venom Tree
Last post by SuspiciousMindz
Today 03:05 PM

Old August 7th, 2023, 01:41 AM
nothing's forever

Default but aren't you dead? [p]

Being dead-tired post-flower-picking with Springpaw, Alderstep had not hesitated on his way to his nest, sinking deep into the moss as he prepared for what better be the best sleep he's ever gotten. He watched the den entrance for a moment, slowing his breathing, staring off into the middle distance. Not for long, though. The lull of sleep drew him in, and so he curled up with his paws sheltering his face, eyes closing until...

Well, he wouldn't remember the darkness that came when one just falls asleep; as far as Alderstep knew, nobody did. But he would remember the moment his eyes 'opened' to the hyperreal sight of over-tall trees and their orange-yellow-red sunset leaves. The russet cat shifted his dream-paws, rustling the leaves quietly. Huh. He wallowed in the crisp scent of rotting leaves and brisk winds whistling through the treetops as he slowly traversed between the giant tree trunks.

The sky was...it was something. Starry. Alderstep took a moment to realize he rarely saw the sky when it was dark enough that he could clearly pick out every star with ease. Maybe for gatherings, when he had to be awake, but otherwise? Never. It intrigued him, and he found himself with his neck craned, just peering at the glittering skies.

@Caspian

Last edited by alkaline; August 7th, 2023 at 01:42 AM.
Old August 7th, 2023, 01:51 AM
Dead But Not Buried

Status: Gimme black coffee in the vms (please I need it to stay alive)
Bump Policy: whenever you feel appropriate
My Mood: Kingly

Default Re: but aren't you dead? [p]

Raypaw

The blonde, thick furred she emerged from the behind of a tree. “Welcome.” she mewed, a soft smile on her face. She’d been watching over Thunderclan since she’s died. While sad about the losses she’s seen, she was glad that her clan was in good paws. Raypaw had first been surprised to see stars in her pelt, but she’s grown used to it. She sometimes missed how she looked in life, though, she had been laughing at Alderstep getting beaten up by kits for a long while, and she still wasn’t bored. Imagine what she’ll see next! And his attempts at interacting are hilarious

No matter how much the clan’s changed she could always trust Alderstep to be the grumpy-grump she’d known him as in life. Raypaw had thought about her life countless times and she regretted so, so much. She’d wished she at least got her warrior name. “How have you been?” a purr rumbled in her throat

How long had she been waiting for him to sleep? For her, far too long. But she hadn’t a long attention span, nor was she very patient, so it probably wasn’t very long
@.squid

Last edited by Caspian; August 7th, 2023 at 02:45 AM.
Old August 7th, 2023, 04:32 PM
nothing's forever

He'll admit that the squeak he'd let out when the cat had materialized out of nowhere was thoroughly embarrassing. At least Alderstep had done it in a dream instead of in his waking life. Though he did wonder if he had made the same sound in his sleep and if somebody had heard him sleep-squeaking like a mouse. He hoped not; that'd be even more embarrassing. But hey! Why was he embarrassed right now? This was a dream, and those were always free of judgment! Alderstep snorted at himself in amusement before looking head-on at whoever this dream-kitty was.

The sight that greeted him made Alderstep's blood run cold, even though he desperately reminded himself that this was a dream and therefore wasn't real. Still, it was chilling to see Raypaw before him, pelt full of the stars that decorated the sky. He gaped at her for a second, struggling to comprehend what he was seeing. Maybe he didn't need to understand, though. Dreams didn't always have to make sense. Just 'cause Raypaw was dead in real life didn't mean he couldn't randomly dream her up. Though he'd probably wake up feeling awful, reliving the moments in which he'd witnessed her gruesome death.

Oh well. Time to answer some questions, because dreams were like that apparently. Alderstep shrugged off his initial fright, relaxing out of his tension. "To be quite honest, awful. But I'm not dead so..." he trailed off before his eyes widened. Okay, dream or not, that was kinda out-of-pocket. "My bad. Sick glitter-pelt, though," he said, before turning away to study his surroundings some more, appreciating the leaf-fall setting greatly.

@Caspian
Old August 7th, 2023, 05:10 PM
Dead But Not Buried

Raypaw

She chuckled a bit at Alderstep squeaking like a mouse. After the amusement died away, she sat down, listening to his response. “Its okay, and, hey, at least you get to visit me.” she meowed teasingly, putting a paw up to her chest. She perked up even more at the compliment. “Thanks! I hated it at first.” she added. It was true, she had despised the stars, they were a reminder that she was dead. Gone, never to be heard from again. But she’s gotten over it.

“Sooooo, I heard you’ve become deputy?” she said, looking at Alderstep with peaked interest sparking in her bright blue gaze. She smirked, she never thought that Alderstep-Sir-grumps-a-lot would ever become deputy. But hey, she never even thought of who would be the next deputy. She just watched the whole show.

Yes, she had wanted to congratulate him earlier, but she’s been focusing on teaching herself the things she’s never been taught in life. She’s been watching the clan for quite awhile now

@.squid
Old August 7th, 2023, 06:47 PM
nothing's forever

He looked back at the dream-cat (should he call her Raypaw? She technically wasn't Raypaw, but still-), green gaze flicking over her sitting form. Eh, why not? Alderstep sat a couple of fox-lengths away from her, mirroring her posture. "Mmm, pretty sure you're visiting me. This is my dream, after all." For the life of him, Alderstep couldn't figure out why Dream-Raypaw wouldn't have liked the sparkles in her pelt. Did dream cats have preferences like that? He wouldn't like stars in his pelt, either. Maybe it was a manifestation of his subconscious. Okay, then maybe he could understand why she didn't like her glittery fur.

"What're you smiling for?" he demanded, rolling back and forth on his paws, swaying side to side. "And yeah, guess I am. Or. I have become one." It was funny, in an odd way, that Raypaw (the real one) had never seen even Bumblestar's deputy days. Hadn't even witnessed Thrushstar's leadership. She had just gone...or, well, she'd died right before a bunch of pivotal transitions for ThunderClan. "What's it to ya?" Alderstep asked, suddenly leaning forward to scrutinize Dream-Raypaw.

@Caspian
Old August 7th, 2023, 06:58 PM
Dead But Not Buried

Raypaw

“Your right.” she really needed to get wiser fast! she scanned the surrounding area, which she had grown way too familiar with. She shrugged off Alderstep’s question of why she was smiling so much. She’d rather not answer that, as she thought it was quite obvious. She flicked her tail for no reason in particular

“Oh, it’s just interesting to watch a cat I’d known in life slowly rise to leadership.” she replied. ”Ive been watching kits bite ya’” she laughed, wiped a tear from her face

@.squid

Last edited by Caspian; August 9th, 2023 at 01:16 AM.
Old August 9th, 2023, 01:10 AM
nothing's forever

"As I usually am," Alderstep agreed, feeding into his hubris just this once. She didn't answer his question, though. Must be because his subconscious was lacking tonight. That was always annoying.

"Y'know, it's super weird that you're here, like...why? I must've eaten something bad before I slept. Stars. Also, yeah. Children have been trying to consume me. Dunno why." Alderstep rambled. "Oh, and I know you said you found it 'interesting' which is also creepy. Didn't know dreams could stalk you."

He paused, blinking down at his paws with a befuddled expression. "Huh. Is that even possible? What is even happening right now? None of this is real. I could call you somethin' like Stickyface or Smellytail. And nobody would know. Actually, I should. This is my dream and I can do what I want. Your name is Stickyface now."

He didn't see why not. He'd wake up when the sun rose and nothing would be different. He'd still have that phantom pain, and he'd still be just as exhausted as he had been before he had slept. If he couldn't mess around in his dreams and let loose, Alderstep would riot.

@Caspian
Old August 9th, 2023, 01:36 AM
Dead But Not Buried

Raypaw

Her expression grew a perplexed as he rambled on. What topic was he talking about? That it’s weird to see her, that kids were trying to eat him, or that she was being a creepy stalky-stalks-a-lot. She decided to take each topic one at a time.

“I guess it would be for you, considering you watched me die. Sorry if I’m bringing back memories of stuff ya’ wanna forget.” she said, flicking an ear. “It’s pretty funny, watching kids try to eat you.” Raypaw responded, chuckling at the thought. Though she’d watched it many times, she still couldn’t stop laughing at that

“I’m not just a dream, remember? I’m in Starclan, I can watch over my own clan as well as others.” she reminded him in a matter-of-factly tone. He’d understand when he was dead. Quite frankly, she’d always thought he’d die before her

@.squid
Old August 9th, 2023, 11:29 PM
nothing's forever

Alderstep shrugged off the apology. "Whatever, life sucks, yada yada. You're lucky, being a dream cat and all. Stickyface." Oh, what he'd do to just be in other cats' dreams and muck about for fun. It'd be a serious load off his mind, just to have a break and not worry about anything or anyone. But he was stuck in reality, as usual.

His expression was bothered, sort of screwed up in a grimace as he looked at Stickyface. "Yeah, it's funny when you watch it. Hated every second of it, them and their bite-y mouths. Annoying." Well, not always. There had been a few kits, maybe three to be exact, that hadn't tried to bite him. Alderstep was sort of grateful for that.

And then the russet scoffed. "StarClan? Yeah, no." Disbelief coated every word that left his mouth, scorn and bitterness thrown in for good measure. "You're just a dream, Stickyface who looks like not-dead Raypaw."

@Caspian
Old August 10th, 2023, 12:26 AM
Dead But Not Buried

Raypaw

“Indeed I am, Smellyfur.” she meowed, proudness coating her tone. She giggled, the picture of Alderstep getting bitten by children still hilarious to her. After she finished giggling, she curled her tail over her paws. ”Yes, Smellyfur, it is funny when I watch it. Sorry that it’s painful.” she mewed, the last apology not sounding very apologetic and more so amused.

She gasped in fake shock. It didn’t surprise her, Alderstep’s tone. “I’m hurt!” she laughed, putting a paw to her chest and her chin up in mock offense. “So, any news? I take it Thunderclan has been adjusting well to your new camp after the sinkhole.” she added, putting her paw down.

@.squid