not nicholas. not joseph....
by taillow
Last post by dino.
Today 12:03 AM

Old July 6th, 2023, 08:03 AM

Bump Policy: 48 hours
My Mood: Dead

Default Re: Kit Burrow

{These are separate training instances, but since they're for different subjects, I figured it'd be alright to duplicate Sedge}

[ @Katiethewolfchild — Blossomkit and Rabbitkit, Hunting ]
Sedgestorm lead the two kits to the Burrow for their lesson. He was going to try something new with this pair. Instead of just showing them how to use a hunter's form, maybe he could find a way to put that into a practic but safe application for the kits.
Hide and seek seemed like a decent idea? But there was only two of them.
Hmmmmm, he'd have to think of something better for a small group.
Maybe have one of them close their eyes while the other moves as quietly as possible and the have the other guess where she was?
It... would be a work in progress to find a good balance that would also be fun for them.
Maybe have the closed eyed kit try to find them by hearing alone?
Maybe. Eh...
"You two ready to start?"

[ @Woodlow — Lionpaw, History ]
The large, scarred warrior stretched as he waited for Lionpaw. He trusted that the apprentice would be able to come by on his own rather than needing to be corralled to his lesson.
As he waited, he thought over the formula he'd been using for the last few classes, and letting the student lead after giving a brief overview seemed to be recieved well, and it earned more engagement than just rattling off the long, sordid details of each leader's reign. And there were just certain topics that some were more interested in than others.
So, all around, he figured he should keep that going.
As Lionpaq finally approached, he looked up, greeting the apprentice with a nod.
"Morning."

Add me on PokémonGo: K9WVBVJYJ

While I do not (currently) have any cats in the Clan's, I try to have at least a few role plays with my outsiders (Sedgestorm, Woollyfeather) and my StarClanner Coldamber. Most of my role plays until I feel well enough to keep up with sweeps will be related to Covenant of the Sky duties.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Status: I'm a zombie and I'm hungryyyy... Also if I have to get scolded can't it be for something I did?
Bump Policy: After 24 hours.

Rabbitkit and Blossomkit both said yes! @Abyssopelagic

Last edited by Katiethewolfchild; July 6th, 2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old July 6th, 2023, 08:18 AM
on hiatus

Bump Policy: 3 days
My Mood: Fine

Lionpaw
Riverclan | Apprentice | He/Him | 4 moons | 31/100
a creamy, thick-furred tom with blue eyes
The yellow puff ball stomped over to Sedgestorm. It was morning and he was stuck having to attend this stupid lesson instead of sleeping peacefully in his nest till sun-high. If it wasn't obvious by now he was in a pretty grouchy mood.

"Good morning," he huffed. At this age, he was well aware of how he ought to treat his elders, no matter what foul mood he put himself in. With another little huff, he plopped himself down before the scarred warrior, reluctant but ready for the lesson to start.

(lol get ready to deal with this little brat~)
╔════════ ════════╗
Mentions:
@Abyssopelagic
╚════════ ════════╝
Image of my oc was created using Clangen Cat Maker

"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post~"
Old July 6th, 2023, 10:00 AM

[ @Woodlow — Lionpaw, history ]
(Fight snark with snark lol)

Sedgestorm's ear flicked, Lionpaw's bad mood obvious. It didn't really bother him, just made him wonder if perhaps he should have asked about scheduling before making an assumption.
"Sorry for the early lessons. I figured you didn't want to wait too long and today was the earliest I could squeeze time in for you."
He gestured for the apprentice to follow him.
"I'll be sure to ask about allowing you the rest of the day free since I woke you so early."
He took his place in the spot that he was now starting to refer to as his spot, since it was always where he sat.
"When you're ready to start, I'll give an overview of the High Ranks from my time in RiverClan, and if there's anything in particular - battles, a specific High Rank, past alliances - that you want to hear more about, I'll happily expand on. Or of you'd rather, I can give you a very lengthy speech about it all just to get it all over with."
He gave a cheeky grin.

[ @Katiethewolfchild — Rabbitkit and Blossomkit, hunting ]

"Today I have a special lesson for us. I'm going to show you the hunter's crouch and once the two of you are comfortable with moving around while stealthed, we can make a game out of putting that knowledge into practice."
He gestured for them to watch as he lowered himself, legs bent to keep his body parallel to the ground. It had always been natural for him, but with the lessons he'd been hosting lately, it had become instinctive for him.
"Now, try to match my stance. If it feel uncomfortable, you can adjust to what works better for you. Once you feel you have that down, try moving around as quietly as possible while still crouched."

While I do not (currently) have any cats in the Clan's, I try to have at least a few role plays with my outsiders (Sedgestorm, Woollyfeather) and my StarClanner Coldamber. Most of my role plays until I feel well enough to keep up with sweeps will be related to Covenant of the Sky duties.
Old July 6th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Status: I'm a zombie and I'm hungryyyy... Also if I have to get scolded can't it be for something I did?
Bump Policy: After 24 hours.

Rabbitkit and Blossomkit excitedly crouched. Once the two kits had gotten it down Rabbitkit and Blossomkit both moved around while crouched, soon getting it down. @Abyssopelagic

Last edited by Katiethewolfchild; July 6th, 2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 6th, 2023, 11:22 AM
on hiatus

Lionpaw
Riverclan | Apprentice | He/Him | 4 moons | 33/100
Lionpaw followed the warrior and sat himself close by. He wasn't fond of either of the choices offered to him but settled for the latter.

"I'd rather just get this over with," he mewed, followed by a loud yawn as if to make a point of his lack of anticipation for the boring info dump to come.
╔════════ ════════╗
Mentions:
@Abyssopelagic
╚════════ ════════╝

Old July 10th, 2023, 01:13 AM

"During my time in RiverClan, we've seen quite a few leaders step up to the role and later resign. When I first came to live in the Clan, Lionstar had just stepped down, returning to his warrior name of Lionstorm, and Sootstar had been the leader at the time.
Sootstar would no remain leader for long before disappearing without a trace, alongside his deputy Stormcall, leaving RiverClan without a leading force.
After a few moons leaderless and Lionstorm and our Medicine Cat, Snakeheart, holding the Clan together, a warrior named Kestrelwing was chosen to become leader. Unlike Sootstar, Kestrelstar lead for many moons, and those were perhaps some of the bloodiest moons of our history.
Before I talk about Kestrelstar, I think it's important to put the events before he became leader into perspective, as he made many controversial choices during his time as leader, especially concerning him attitude towards ThunderClan.
The context goes beyond even my time as part of RiverClan, it was something that built up over time and reached a boiling point far later.
Many, many seasons ago, a fire had ravaged ThunderClan, causing them to evacuate not only their camp, but their territory entirely as the flames consumed almost everything. RiverClan had not only offered them shelter, but assisted in the evacuation efforts. I'm unsure if the Clan came the moment they saw the flames or if many had been left behind, but I know a number of our own had been injured during the rescue.
While ThunderClan was recovering from the loss and waiting for the fires to die out, RiverClan had sheltered them near Cattail pond and our own Medicine Cat set about to healing the wounded. We helped feed them, we helped them build shelters and for a time, all was fine. But, even once the fires had burned out and the forest grew cold, neither did the leader or deputy step up to send effort to find a new camp so they could leave RiverClan territory. Eventually, after perhas a few moons,, Lionstar informed the Clan at our pond that he would not be helping them any longer, and that they needed help leave or they will eventually be forced to leave.
With this hanging over their heads, a warrior stepped up and organized patrols in preparation to leave RiverClan, but by then Lionstar was through with ever helping the Clan again after they'd lazed about and not done anything to help themselves."

It was somehow easier to recall the details of events he hadn't taken part in. He knew no bias, had only the stories to work with and it had certainly been the talking point when it had happened. He'd heard plenty of perspectives to form an idea of what happened without any parties being painted too positively or negatively.... or as much as he could avoid it, given what he'd deduced to be truth.

"Immediately before Kestrelstar became leader, ThunderClan had been having coyote problems and had chased a number of them out if their territory and whether it was the whole pack, or only a portion, they found their way onto RiverClan. Either way, ThunderClan hadn't warned us about the coyotes.
Not only are the coyotes believed to have killed Sootstar and Stormcall, the leader and deputy before, when a patrol was sent to chase the pack away, an individual had split from the group and made its way to camp. The only loss to this coyote was an elder named Firehawk, as he protected the nursery from the beast."

Now this..... he had been present for. He was grateful there hadn't been more loss of clanmates, but somehow the death of Firehawk had hit him harder than the loss of leader and deputy.
He'd been protecting the nursery, it's kits and queens. He hadn't left camp, shouldn't have expected to have to risk his life in his own home. Home, camp, was supposed to be safe.
"It is, among many other reasons, why kits are not to leave camp and apprentices not to go alone. There is no way to predict when such things could happen, be it an animal, another cat, nature, or an anomaly we can't categorize, it is why this rule exists. I know this is off topic, but I do feel it's important... that you all know why we have this rule."
It was his hope that his words would keep even one of his current attending from leaving camp on their own. It wasn't a recent problem, but he knew at times there was a surge in escapes and deaths or injuries from these actions.
He would be at peace if such things never happened again.
"While Firehawk was buried in Sleepy Thicket, we were unable to find the bodies of Sootstar and Stormcall, so they could not be buried among their kin.
While Buckstar did apologize for not warning RiverClan and owned up to his mistake at the Gathering upon hearing of the damages, there were plenty in the Clan that still blamed ThunderClan and Kestrelstar most certainly did.
While the event had caused previously forgotten tensions to rise, things would eventually peak Kestrelstar's hatred for the Clan after the event of Lionstorm's death."

Oh, how he hated thinking about what happened next. It was hard to think of the cat that had let his family seek refuge in this Clan after fleeing a tyrant would have done such terrible things.
What struck him more were some of those victims of his violent anger. Many of them, ranks too similar to those of his loved ones for him to be comfortable with.
It hurt in ways he wished weren't possible.
It had been a betrayal he never would have foreseen.
And still, he continued, knowing this wouldn't be the last time his heart broke into a million little pieces just re-counting events that came to pass.
"Lionstorm..... was one of RiverClan's most long standing leader in the past, before he retired from the rank and even after, when the Clan was without leadership for one reason or another, he always stepped up to take charge."
He struggled not to let his bias slip through. He struggled to remain neutral and not give his opinions unnecessarily.
"Opinions about him and the choices he'd made vary, but no one can deny all he had done for the Clan.
But..... well, Lionstorm had charged into ThunderClan camp after finding his mate dead, either in or near our border with them and presumably had believed them to be responsible.....
Before they finally ended his rage, he first ended the lives of a queen, an apprentice, a former Medicine Cat, and even the last of Buckstar's lives.
Lionstorm and his mate were buried at Lionsbeach."

With all this in mind, Kestrelstar was leader for 12 moons, with Splashleap as his deputy for the vast majority of his lleadership, before willingly stepping down from the role, and Sparrowskip was later named his new deputy.
Speaking of Sparrow – he'd disappeared from his role as Medicine Cat before Kestrelstar was named leader, making Snakeheart – then Snakepaw – his only Medicine Cat.
Snakeheart had received his full name less than 2 moons after Kestrelstar became leader."

"Snakeheart was the Medicine Cat for several seasons, but became particularly active in the Clan after Sootstar had left an his deputy seeming to have been killed, leaving the Clan without a leader or deputy. In the time after, both Lionstorm and Snakeheart juggled the duties left by the vacant ranks, until eventually a warrior named Kestrelwing was chosen to become leader, and his deputy to be Splashleap.
Snakeheart and Kestrelstar seemed to take to each other very well and the two often worked closely together. But, aside from his.... scathing tongue, he did his job quite well.
Perhaps the.... thing that both Kestrelstar and Snakeheart are known for is the raid on ThunderClan, when we first took the Cove from them."

Perhaps it was because he'd never been prepared to talk about Medicine Cats in depth or that he'd tried to ignore everything around him while it was all happening, but he was having a hard time sorting in his head when everything happened and if there had been anything aside from the battles he could mention about the tom.
"The reason this battle is well known, was because at the next Gathering, ThunderClan's Medicine Cat had accused Snakeheart and Kestrelstar of using poisoned claws in their attack. Supposedly, she had found evidence that some of the affected cat showed signs of death berry poisoning and had come to the conclusion that it must be fowl play.
To this day, no one truly knows if this is true, as no such occurances ever happened again and those belived to be involved denied the claims. However, it is something that is occasionally still held above RiverClan's head."

He sighed, remembering the last time one of the leader's had used the claim to discredit them for.... one thing or another. He was tired of hearing about it. New atrocities were committed by every Clan with each passing moon, one that, even if true, was under the command of one leader that was here no more.
"This battle is, to this day, what both Snakeheart and Kestrelstar are most well know for."

"The leader before Pikestar had been Skystar. His leadership lasted 3 Gatherings. In his time as leader, his only Medicine Cat had been Snakeheart, who later had taken on an apprentice named Reedpaw. The only deputy that served under him was Snowleap, who had been completely re-named to the leader we now know as Pikestar upon receiving his 9 lives.
Like our current leader, Skystar has been given a new name upon becoming leader, and had been Sparrowskip before this. And before his time as deputy, had spent many moons as RiverClan's Medicine Cat, but was a warrior and a Shield when he was appointed deputy.
Skystar became leader after the leader before him, Kestrelstar had disappeared, his body later found at Lionsbeach. He has since been laid to rest in the Sleepy Thicket."

Even now, he wasn't quite over how, despite how short Skystar's time as leader had been, just how much had happened during that time. Chaos and drama seemed to be a specialty of the Clan's, he supposed, as even what little bit he'd heard about WindClan and ThunderClan just from the Gatherings seemed to always have something going on.

"Despite the brevity of his leadership, RiverClan was not without its troubles or completely untouched by the drama of the other Clans.
During Skystar's first Gathering as leader, neither ShadowClan or ThunderClan had arrived, which was later revealed by a group of ThunderClan apprentices who had sneaked out of their camp to bring the situation to the other's attention.
As we were told, Dawnstar had been invited onto ThunderClan territory by a ThunderClan warrior, and she and a group of warriors entered the camp and declared herself leader after the Clan had gone many moons without a leader, and many more without stability even with leaders around."

He worded each statement carefully, trying to keep his words as neutral as possible. He might not have openly stated it today, but he wanted his students to form their own thoughts and ideas of the events that took place rather than letting their opinions be swayed by his own.
It was the promise he'd made to himself when he agreed to take up this course and he planned to keep it.
"Although the leaders listened to the ThunderClan apprentices, they clearly were not happy with the group for walking into the Gathering and hopping onto the Seastones without asking for permission and then speaking over both Skystar and Twilightstar..... the apprentices only just had a chance to speak of their situation when Dawnstar herself made her way to the Gathering as well. I can only guess she must have noticed the group leaving camp and decided to follow them, though that is unclear to be the case.
As for Dawnstar, I'm not sure what she'd said, but it had been rather brief, because she left before the Gathering was dismissed.

Eventually, Skystar and Twilightstar managed to get their reports in, but the normalcy was short lived as a fight broke out.
It's uncertain why the fight happened or who started it, but once it ended, the rest of the few attending ThunderClan cats declared a warrior of their own a traitor and promised he'd be held prisoner, suggesting they might have been the one causing a stir. I don't believe we ever heard about what was done with the cat once they went home.
The Gathering was dismissed once things were settled and thankfully nothing more happened before RiverClan could come home."

That..... could not be said about after they came home. He struggled to remember exactly how long after the Gathering it had been, but drew a blank. Instead of focusing on that, he dove back into what he was saying once he'd taken an adequate breather.

"In between Clan meetings, ThunderClan had either pulled free from Dawnstar or the leader grew tired of them," He felt it was the latter, as Dawnstar was fickle in all matters...... not that he'd voice as much at that moment.
"And yet, they were still without a leader. Despite this, they organized an attack against RiverClan, with the intention to take Firfly Cove back.
Firefly Cove was originally a gift from RiverClan many seasons ago, before I'd joined RiverClan; a gift that from my understanding, had no strings attached at the time of gifting it. ThunderClan had then used the gifted territory as a place to bury their dead. During Kestrelstar's reign, he'd taken the land back as RiverClan territory."

He tried to skirt around that as best he could, as he planned to go into more details when he spoke about Kestrelstar.

"ThunderClan launched the attack on a border patrol, either one of the patrol members or another cat had returned to camp to call for reinforcements. Despite the Clan's best effort, after a harrowing battle, with..... many cats becoming too injured to continue fighting and the loss of many young lives, Snowleap called a retreat against Skystar's direct orders to prevent the loss of more life, and ThunderClan reclaimed the territory.
During the retreat, however, an unconscious ThunderClan apprentices was mistaken to be RiverClan and brought for healing. Snakeheart determined the apprentice was not one of them and eventually..... Skystar made the decision to hold her prisoner, heal and feed her and to use her as some sort of bargaining tool.
The Clan was split on this decision, but I don't believe anyone really argued with the choice. She was kept in the Medicine Den for many moons before eventually escaping. Presumably, on her own.
However, for the rest of Skystar's leadership, she remained in RiverClan custody."

He carefully chose his words about their loss at Firefly Cove. Unfortunately, there was no skirting around the reason that they'd retreated was inevitably the death of so many apprentices and the kit..... stars, how did that kit end up in the battle.
He hated talking about this part of their history, even talking about it with Mintpaw hadn't hardened him to this truth. It had reminded him too much of what he'd been running from, from his old Clan.
But he was far more comfortable with Pikestar as leader. He was a good cat and there had been few battles during his reign.
And Sedgestorm was glad for it, and it made him hopeful for the future of the young ones in front of him.

"His second Gathering as leader started entirely uneventful until Cindersky, a senior warrior of ThunderClan, tried sitting among the other leaders, as a representative of ThunderClan and after a unanimous choice from the other leaders,, Cindersky had agreed to have their Medicine Cat, Sundust, handle announcements that Gathering.
Just before any Clans left, once announcements were made Twilightstar invited the Clan leaders for a private Gathering on WindClan territory, for only the leaders and a select few individuals to attend.
Although Skystar did attend, he did not announce who he would be taking or when it would be. And for now, this piece of history is unknown and unexplored to those who were not present."

Sedgestorm just wished he at least had a name to go off of to try to ask about the event. It was a part of their history he'd be leaving undiscussed and it gnawed at him.
He still had yet to bring up the topic with Pikestar to ask if he'd been taken with Skystar to this meeting. It didn't set well with him that he couldn't elaborate on this part of their history. He seriously needed to remember to ask the darkened tom about it. Maybe he should bring him some gifts as well. He did appreciate all he'd done for the Clan and he would be asking a favour of the leader.

"At Skystar's 3rd Gathering as leader, ThunderClan finally had named a leader, but Cinderstar admitted she'd been chosen before the last Gathering, and had simply not received her name or lives. WindClan and ShadowClan especially had taken offense to Cinderstar's original attempts to sit at the Seastones.
Aside from a change in leadership, the announcements at this Gathering were uneventful. The Gathering itself, was not, as one of the apprentices let it slip about RiverClan's prisoner from the Firefly Cove, which had lead to a rather large argument and disruption among the crowd. It did not escalate among the crowd, but it was clear Cinderstar was not pleased.
With her demand to return the apprentice, the Gathering was dismissed and and at least the two in conflict stayed to discuss the terms of the apprentice's release.
I am unaware what was asked for in return, but considering she remained prisoner for moons after, I believe it can be assumed Cinderstar had declined any debate."

"After everything that happened, with the loss of Firefly Cove likely in Skystar's mind, he announced that he and a group of volunteers would be traveling outside Clan boundaries for territory to replace the land lost, with the idea it'd be.... far easier to protect, with it being unknown to the other Clans and most likely unfindable without being directly lead to it.
There was brief talk of plans to use the territory as a base, should RiverClan find itself driven from their home."

Like WindClan had done to ShadowClan. It was so long ago, but sometimes the memories returned like a flea in one's pelt. At the time, he'd thought it a good idea. Considering the results, however..... perhaps not in hindsight.
He desperately hoped there was never a repeat of what had happened. No Clan deserved what had happened, and not all that had happened after being driven from their own territory. But he could cover that later.... maybe. That was if he could avoid getting emotional about it.

"As pure as his intentions might have been, it was all for naught, as reportedly things fell apart on their journey. The group had turned back to return home, but they returned without Skystar, who had appearantly left to return home first and it is believed on his way home was where he lost the last of his lives.
His body was found, with the scent of a hound-beast clinging to it and wounds no cat could have inflicted. After the mourning process, what was left of him was buried in the Sleepy Thicket.
Soon after, Snowleap took the name of Pikestar."

"Pikestar's leadership were some of our more peaceful moons, until a tragic oversight caused him to doubt his ability as a leader and step down. Rather than Gingerfrost taking his place, he opted to remain deputy and allow another to step up.
The incident that lead to his stepping down was an invasion of dogs. A patrol had brought it to the leader's attention of their presence, but did not act quick enough to drive them out, leading to them becoming bold enough to attack camp.
I do not believe we lost many that day, but the damage they wreaked was still devastating
It was Beansprout.... now Beanstar that became leader after Snowleap gave up his name."

[ @Woodlow ]
//he asked for it lmao\\

Old July 10th, 2023, 04:16 AM
on hiatus

Lionpaw
Riverclan | Apprentice | He/Him | 4 moons | 43/100
That... was a lot to take in. Lionpaw struggled to keep his eyes open during the lengthy presentation. He managed to pick up on what Sedgestorm was saying though. Some of it at least.

Lionstorm was leader and was great until he wasn't. Then Kestrelstar was leader and was really bad until he died. Then Skystar was leader- no wait it was Snowleap... Or Sparrowstar? That last bit was super confusing with all the name changes. Why did they feel the need to change their names so much? Were they trying to hide from something?

He was glad the long speech ended at Beanstar. He at least knew who that guy was. And the sour apprentice did have a few questions if you could believe it or not.

"Hold on, if Lionstorm was such a good leader, why did he go and kill a bunch of cats? And what's death berry juice? And why did Lionstorm let all of ThunderClan live with us? He basically offered them a free chance to take over RiverClan!" Lionpaw threw all of his questions at the large tom in quick succession before adding one more. "And why didn't Gingerfrost become leader instead of Beanstar? Was he too scared?"

(oml you meant it when you said info dump XD)

╔════════ ════════╗
Mentions:
╚════════ ════════╝

Last edited by Tecumori; July 10th, 2023 at 04:16 AM.
Old July 10th, 2023, 09:38 PM

My Mood: Happy

Kitekit had been doing her daily routine of cloud-watching and was startled when Stonepaw called her for a lesson. This had not been in her schedule?! But Kitekit was also very obedient and nervously followed after the other kits entering the Kit Burrrow.

[ @carmen - Stonepaw ] (so sorry my mention was broken)

Last edited by serendipity.; July 23rd, 2023 at 10:18 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2023, 10:41 AM
Don’t be scared I’m here

Bump Policy: 1- 4 hours (if rp is past a week I’m dropping it)
My Mood: Starving

Moonkit paced back and forth, anticipating for something.

(Open)