Old January 30th, 2024, 03:10 PM

Bump Policy: 72 hours!!
My Mood: Fine

Default Re: Croaking Swamp

Midnightpaw
Shadowclan
She/her
34/100

Midnightpaw trailed behind, quiet and without a word. Her green eyes were wide as she peered around, curious and nearly alight with wonder–nearly. Her attention shifted to the warrior before her, big eyes lifting to look up at her instead.

It made sense. She could blend in pretty well with her pelt–but she felt a bit anxious. She knew the crouch, knew how to stalk–she knew it all through kit classes and only recently perfected it with her mentor's guidance. Even with all of that in mind, she had never actually caught prey before. She supposed she could give it a shot.

Her tail lashed, once, twice behind her. Not in defiance, not at all, moreso in quiet agreement. “I'll give it my best shot–I'll stay close.”

And with that, Midnightpaw quietly padded off on her own. She had never done this before. She wasn't necessarily out on her own, just… A bit farther away from the crowd. It was just prey, that's all! Surely she could manage. She knew how to stalk and crouch… She even knew how to fight! Surely she could catch some prey, right? It couldn't be that hard.

Midnightpaw wasn't exactly confident in herself. She dropped into the crouch that Darkfall had taught her moons ago, lowering her tail in place like he had shown her too–and for a moment she felt as though she could feel her mentor, Hazelstripe, stalking circles around her to check her posture. I'm good. It's–my stance is good. I can do it.

She sniffed at the ground, slowly prowling about the area until she could both hear and smell a toad. Quietly, slowly, she stalked in it's direction until she finally had her sights on it. Okay… so, now… What do I do now? I've never gotten this far.

All she could do was try her best, so she suddenly leapt forward at the creature, one of her paws smacking at it's back, leaving a shallow scratch before it went hip-hopping away into the murky water. Springing after it, she went face-first into the water, which.. Didn't help. At all. Awkward. Very much so. The toad was gone.

“Uh,” The dark furred molly began slowly, re-appearing near her patrolmates. “I… I've never actually caught anything before, and I don't think I'm gonna do any better now.” Her confession was sheepish and laced with anxiety, a frown carved into her lips.

[ @Shellwhisker - Dovedance, @furrensic - Squirrelpaw @sylvia26 - Lostpaw ]

Bump Policy: 72 hours!
Often inactive on weekends!

Click here for my character site!
Old January 30th, 2024, 03:33 PM
too busy drawing cats.

Bump Policy: whenever :p
My Mood: Angelic

ShadowClan Re: Croaking Swamp

v Mentions v

Dovedance
ShadowClan Warrior - 34 Moons

____

Dovedance looked at Midnightpaw in surprise as the black molly returned to the ground.

Her amber eyes narrowed slightly, not revealing even the tiniest bit of emotion as she took in Midnightpaw's words.

The warrior felt her tail droop. Vulturefang had stuck her in a patrol with INEXPERIENCED apprentices.

Then, her ears perked up and her eyes brightened as she realized one thing:

Vulturefang wouldn't have chosen Dovedance to lead a patrol full of apprentices if he hadn't trusted her to train them.

Dovedance's amber gaze flicked back to Midnightpaw.

''Alright, show me your hunting stance,'' Her eyes circled the apprentices.

''ALL of you. Now.''

The silver-and-white warrior padded around the younger three cats, nudging Squirrelpaw's - as well as Midnightpaw's - hind legs in a bit tighter with her muzzle.

''Bring your hind paws closer to your belly. It will strengthen your spring when you DO leap,'' The ShadowClan molly explained.

''Midnightpaw, lower your tail, but DO NOT let it brush the ground or anything around you. Same with you, Squirrelpaw,'' The warrior added. ''If you do let it brush the forest floor or any of your surroundings, your prey will hear it, realize it's in danger, and run straight for its burrow - or the nearest tree, in a squirrel or bird's case.''

Dovedance nodded to Lostpaw.

''You'll be their demonstration. Since I'm your mentor and I've already taught you this, I want you to show them just how well your spring is when they tighten in their hind paws.''

Fireflyflicker Finder || Rosehawk Finder || Larkswoop Finder || Lightlark Finder || Squirrelwhisker Finder

Larkswoop: Flock Together Tier 2, Beefed Up Tier 3, Lyrebird's Lullaby
Alderblossom: Agatha Kitty, Well Insulated
Fireflyflicker: The Collector, Mind Reader

Last edited by paris; January 30th, 2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old January 31st, 2024, 05:29 AM
Frostfire

Bump Policy: during the weak days from 6 am to 3 pm :) depending if im on.
My Mood: Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellwhisker View Post

v Mentions v

Dovedance

____

Dovedance looked at Midnightpaw in surprise as the black molly returned to the ground.

Her amber eyes narrowed slightly, not revealing even the tiniest bit of emotion as she took in Midnightpaw's words.

The warrior felt her tail droop. Vulturefang had stuck her in a patrol with INEXPERIENCED apprentices.

Then, her ears perked up and her eyes brightened as she realized one thing:

Vulturefang wouldn't have chosen Dovedance to lead a patrol full of apprentices if he hadn't trusted her to train them.

Dovedance's amber gaze flicked back to Midnightpaw.

''Alright, show me your hunting stance,'' Her eyes circled the apprentices.

''ALL of you. Now.''

The silver-and-white warrior padded around the younger three cats, nudging Squirrelpaw's - as well as Midnightpaw's - hind legs in a bit tighter with her muzzle.

''Bring your hind paws closer to your belly. It will strengthen your spring when you DO leap,'' The ShadowClan molly explained.

''Midnightpaw, lower your tail, but DO NOT let it brush the ground or anything around you. Same with you, Squirrelpaw,'' The warrior added. ''If you do let it brush the forest floor or any of your surroundings, your prey will hear it, realize it's in danger, and run straight for its burrow - or the nearest tree, in a squirrel or bird's case.''

''You'll be their demonstration. Since I'm your mentor and I've already taught you this, I want you to show them just how well your spring is when they tighten in their hind paws.''

LostPaw
@furrensic @Omari

"starclan wanted me...yet you refused me!"

Lostpaw had to blink from her place and nodded quickly "wait- do you want me to catch something?" she asked with a little confusion to her tone, not sure if she was just leaping. her scarred paw lifted slightly to motion towards the bushes "i mean- i smell a vole over there if you want me to get it" she asked softly as her eyes darted between dovedance and the line of smell she could see with her nose.
WindClan- Sparkkit-6M/tom
StarClan- Echoheart, Spottedfur, tigerkit, icekit, softkit, frostkit.
Dark forest- N/A
outskirts- adderkit-2M/tom, garfy-20M/she

Last edited by sylvia26; January 31st, 2024 at 05:30 AM.
Old January 31st, 2024, 07:17 AM
too busy drawing cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia26 View Post
LostPaw
@furrensic @Omari

Lostpaw had to blink from her place and nodded quickly "wait- do you want me to catch something?" she asked with a little confusion to her tone, not sure if she was just leaping. her scarred paw lifted slightly to motion towards the bushes "i mean- i smell a vole over there if you want me to get it" she asked softly as her eyes darted between dovedance and the line of smell she could see with her nose.

v List of Mentions v
  • @furrensic - Squirrelpaw Mention
  • @Omari - Midnightpaw Mention
  • @/sylvia26 - Lostpaw Mention / Quote

Dovedance

____

Dovedance fixed Lostpaw with an approving look, a purr rumbling in her throat.

''You're exactly right, Lostpaw,'' She meowed, giving a whisk of her plumed, gray tail.

''I do want you to catch that vole. It will serve as a demonstration for Squirrelpaw and Midnightpaw.''

Dovedance cast the other two apprentices an encouraging look.

''And you two,'' The ShadowClan molly added. ''Don't stress about hunting. Stressing won't help you at all.''

Fireflyflicker Finder || Rosehawk Finder || Larkswoop Finder || Lightlark Finder || Squirrelwhisker Finder

Old February 1st, 2024, 05:31 AM
Frostfire

Bump Policy: during the weak days from 6 am to 3 pm :) depending if im on.
My Mood: Dreaming

LostPaw

Lostpaw nodded before padding over and dropping into a hunters crouch. her tail well balanced and her ears up to listin. she tucked her paws and did what she was taught. she started to creep forward, her eyes forwward, she was careful not to step too hard in the snow, she stopped and squinted her eyes trying to see if the vole was even there. it was. she then wiggled a little and then leaped, her mentor had been right last time, tucking in her paws gave her a longer and powerful leap, her paws landed a little off, the vole being shocked and trying to run away, she used her claws to hook the vole quickly and throw it into the air before it landed on the ground. before it could respond she gave it a quick bite to the neck, killing it. she then looked at her mentor standing. "did i do it okay?" she asked with a wondering gaze. she had been trying to use her one good eye to see and her ear on her bad eyes side to listen. it looks like it paid off.

@furrensic
@Omari
@Shellwhisker
WindClan- Sparkkit-6M/tom
StarClan- Echoheart, Spottedfur, tigerkit, icekit, softkit, frostkit.
Dark forest- N/A
outskirts- adderkit-2M/tom, garfy-20M/she
Old February 1st, 2024, 12:03 PM
yippee!!!

Bump Policy: 4 days / 1 if time sensitive
My Mood: Kingly

SQUIRRELPAW
she/her. 8 moons. small russet molly with brown markings and yellow eyes.

drying her tears and following her patrolmates, squirrelpaw isn't sure how to feel about dovedance's encouraging look. actually, she's not sure how to feel about dovedance at all considering their previous interaction. she also isnt sure about the croaking swamp as a whole, looking down at her already muddy paws. the ground was cold, muddy, and slick. will we even be able to catch anything..? she wonders doubtfully with a frown. she's sure that they're doomed when midnightpaw comes back, feeling a sense of solidarity — yay! neither of them know how to hunt!

she tries to b positive, but it fails.

crouching down, she makes sure that her tail doesn't brush against the ground once dovedance mentions it. watching lostpaw's demonstration, she's surprised the vole didn't end up getting stuck in the mud before it's untimely demise. she glances at dovedance, then back at the ground. don't stress? that's easier said than done.

[ @Omari @Shellwhisker @sylvia26 ]

·characters· •pronouns.cc•

bump after 96 hours / 4 days
Old February 1st, 2024, 12:16 PM

Bump Policy: Every few hours, I usually try to respond as quickly as I can
My Mood: Amused

NightWolf purred in satisfaction as held a water vole in his mouth, he had a late start today but as long as he caught at least 3 voles before sunhigh, he can consider it a good day, so far he has caught one, starclan willing, two more will appear somewhere, he buries the freshkill first then perks up his ears and drinks in the air to find prey around him,
Nothing, but the hunt must continue.

"UNTIL I THREW DOWN MY ENEMY AND SMOTE HIS RUIN UPON THE MOUNTAINSIDE -GANDALF THE WHITE
NIGHTWOLF SHADOWCLAN
24 MOONS
LARGE BLACK TABBY

BOULDERPAW RIVERCLAN
9 MOONS
GREY STRIPED TABBY
Old February 1st, 2024, 03:46 PM
too busy drawing cats.

v Mentions v
  • @sylvia26 - Lostpaw Mention
  • @Omari - Midnightpaw Mention
  • @elaif - Vulturefang Mention (in case he'd like to watch from the shadows lol)
  • @Undertaker - Dawnstar Mention (just in case she'd like to watch from the shadows lol)

Dovedance

____

''That was an excellent demonstration, Lostpaw. Thank you.''

The warrior placed amber eyes on all three apprentices.

''Alright, you three. I want you to watch my moves closely and see how I do it.''

Padding over to a more shadowy area, the ShadowClan molly crouched, her hind paws tucked in beside her belly and her tail level just above the ground.

Dovedance stalked forward slowly, ear tips twitching.

On the other side of the bushes was a blackbird, which was what Dovedance aimed to catch.

Suddenly, the warrior sprang, leaping over the bushes and on top of the blackbird.

Before the blackbird could call out in alarm, Dovedance nipped its neck. The prey went limp in her jaws.

The warrior bounded back over toward the apprentices and dropped her blackbird beside Lostpaw's vole.

Dovedance nodded to Midnightpaw and Squirrelpaw.

''There's a shrew nest just beside that tree,'' She gestured towards it with her tail.

''Midnightpaw, wait behind the ferns. Squirrelpaw, you go and wait beside the entrance to the nest, but keep yourself hidden. When the shrew - or more than one shrew - fully exits the nest, drive it towards Midnightpaw so she can make the kill,'' Dovedance explained. ''However, you'll catch any other shrew that doesn't run towards where Midnightpaw will be hiding.''

Dovedance turned to Lostpaw.

''You will be positioned behind the shrew nest. You'll be listening. Flick your tail tip at Squirrelpaw whenever you hear a shrew beginning to exit the nest. This will be training to help you hear better, but it will also be training Squirrelpaw to always be prepared.''

Last edited by paris; February 1st, 2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old February 1st, 2024, 04:20 PM

Bump Policy: 72 hours!!
My Mood: Fine

Midnightpaw
Shadowclan
She/her
35/100

Well, the crouch was easy. She had been taught it moons ago. Still, she wasn’t about to go be mouthy with a warrior, so she did as she was instructed to, lowering herself into a crouch with her tail lowered–level with her body, not quite touching the ground but not lifted up into the air either. She bunched up her hind paws as well, noting the warrior’s advice about how it would strengthen a pounce.

Now, she stayed quiet, watching as Lostpaw gave them a demonstration. It was appreciated, in all honesty. All she needed was a demonstration, as she had been taught the crouch, the stalk, but she had never received a demonstration on how to actually pounce and kill prey.

She cast a look towards Squirrelpaw, offering her a nod and a small smile. “We got this.” And, with that, she stalked off to hide herself behind the ferns that Dovedance had pointed out.

Bump Policy: 72 hours!
Often inactive on weekends!

Click here for my character site!
Old February 2nd, 2024, 09:45 AM
too busy drawing cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omari View Post
Midnightpaw
Shadowclan
She/her
35/100

Well, the crouch was easy. She had been taught it moons ago. Still, she wasn’t about to go be mouthy with a warrior, so she did as she was instructed to, lowering herself into a crouch with her tail lowered–level with her body, not quite touching the ground but not lifted up into the air either. She bunched up her hind paws as well, noting the warrior’s advice about how it would strengthen a pounce.

Now, she stayed quiet, watching as Lostpaw gave them a demonstration. It was appreciated, in all honesty. All she needed was a demonstration, as she had been taught the crouch, the stalk, but she had never received a demonstration on how to actually pounce and kill prey.

She cast a look towards Squirrelpaw, offering her a nod and a small smile. “We got this.” And, with that, she stalked off to hide herself behind the ferns that Dovedance had pointed out.

v Mentions v
  • @/Omari - Midnightpaw Quote / Mention
  • @sylvia26 - Lostpaw Mention

Dovedance

____

Dovedance watched the three apprentices from the shadows, her eyes narrowing with interest.

The warrior let out a silent purr of approval as she watched Midnightpaw approach her position correctly.

The warrior's gaze flicked over to Squirrelpaw, then Lostpaw. She watched as they followed instructions.

____

furrensic, sylvia, the patrol is due on the fifth. you need to hurry and get in your replies so Dovedance can report back to Vulturefang.

Last edited by paris; February 2nd, 2024 at 09:46 AM.