Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Off-Topic (OOC) > Visual Arts

Notice
Are you a master egg-finder? Check out the Spring Egg Hunt!

Need a helping hand? Check out this thread for info on how to get some egg hunt hints!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader:
Birdsnow
Deputy: Fadingsun
Medicine Cat: None

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Fallownose
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
otter in shark infested...
by nyx
Last post by Epiales
Today 09:28 AM
Silentpaw Everything...
Last post by Dolomedes
Today 09:26 AM
Clan Name Game
by Topaz
Last post by *_Athena_*
Today 09:23 AM
Sweet Nightmares... [P]
by Tiabirb
Last post by Tiabirb
Today 09:01 AM
RiverClan Nursery
by BEAR.
Last post by *_Athena_*
Today 08:55 AM

Old November 19th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I'm actually back...

My Mood: Chatty

Default Re: Story criticism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflower View Post
Sorry! I mean that everyone is rather happy, as the original Masque story and older language uses gay to mean happy, and Ciraynne is not. Hope that clears things up!
Alright, it sure does. Now, you also said “You’ll be fine, darling. It’s probably just pregnancy sickness." As far as I'm aware, there is no such thing. If it is in the morning, I Believe the correct term is "Morning Sickness." Then again, in their Situation, I Doubt there is such a thing as morning.

And at the top of page 4, you Wrote: ”Well, now that i know that she isn’t married, I think I won’t listen to you. I also think Ciraynne can decide the people good enough for her by herself. I’m sure she can take care of herself without an overbearing brother who doesn’t let her live...”
You forgot to capitalize the I.

Last edited by Akari; November 19th, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:12 PM
led into temptation

My Mood: Thirsty

Quote:
So, my ELA teacher is making us write a story as a subplot for The Masque Of The Red Death, and I don't know what to think of what I have so far. If you could, please read it in the link provided and post your criticisms and remarks here. DO NOT try to sugarcoat it please!

The Story

Thanks! ^^

Keep in mind I will be working on it as you read
Okay Imma try and be as nice but not sugar coat it as much as possible so
1. I love a romance story, and this may not be the main focus or anything but it still bothers me. I think the story went to fast from the time it starts, to suddenly being engaged. You should have added a page or two on how they developed feelings
2. Her brother, seems cool maybe a little over protective. I would have liked to see more of him and Alistair have a bigger fight. Maybe in the pages above I mentioned.
2. I lovelovelove everything else, keep at it. Your words are so... mystical? But I do see a few grammar errors. I'm not picky, but it's just a space here or there that I see.
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:16 PM
led into temptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari View Post
Alright, it sure does. Now, you also said “You’ll be fine, darling. It’s probably just pregnancy sickness." As far as I'm aware, there is no such thing. If it is in the morning, I Believe the correct term is "Morning Sickness." Then again, in their Situation, I Doubt there is such a thing as morning.
Gonna disagree with this for a moment. He doesn't know what is wrong with her. When you're pregnant you tend to get sick a lot. I think he's just assuming it has something to do with her being Pregnant
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Paige~

My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:

And at the top of page 4, you Wrote: ”Well, now that i know that she isn’t married, I think I won’t listen to you. I also think Ciraynne can decide the people good enough for her by herself. I’m sure she can take care of herself without an overbearing brother who doesn’t let her live...”
You forgot to capitalize the I.
@Myik

Thank you for the criticism! I'll make sure to fix the pregnancy sickness thing, and the capitalization is just because i'm typing fast and google docs doesn't immediately chane it. I'm planning on going through and fixing it after I finish the story.

Myik, could you please elaborate on grammar errors? You don't need to quote the story or anything, but what you noticed would be nice so I can fix it. As for the romance story, I didn't really elaborate because if I did the story would be extra long haha ^^ . But I also had it shorter because I believe in the medieval era, around where this story is set, marriage was often rushed into and not prolonged. Some people wouldn't even meet and still get married. But I understand if you think it's rushed.

As for the brother, I'm planning on adding a bit of drama when he notices something's up with Alistair and then finds out they were engaged and Ciraynne is pregnant.

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
-Louis L’Amour
|| Character Site || Finder/RP Tracker || Magnoliapetal's Finder ||
past usernames: moobaby171, moothebean
-EST-

Old November 19th, 2017, 12:25 PM
led into temptation

Quote:
@Myik

Thank you for the criticism! I'll make sure to fix the pregnancy sickness thing, and the capitalization is just because i'm typing fast and google docs doesn't immediately chane it. I'm planning on going through and fixing it after I finish the story.

Myik, could you please elaborate on grammar errors? You don't need to quote the story or anything, but what you noticed would be nice so I can fix it. As for the romance story, I didn't really elaborate because if I did the story would be extra long haha ^^ . But I also had it shorter because I believe in the medieval era, around where this story is set, marriage was often rushed into and not prolonged. Some people wouldn't even meet and still get married. But I understand if you think it's rushed.

As for the brother, I'm planning on adding a bit of drama when he notices something's up with Alistair and then finds out they were engaged and Ciraynne is pregnant.
Akari picked out one thing, but it's not anything I can really suggest? I just see a few sentences with no spaces, but it seems like you have that under control since almost all of them are fixed.
I get the timeline, and I see it but still, I would just like to see them together more. Talking more and falling in love. Back then they still did that, the only true reason people got married quickly was because they died quickly. But, I see how you wanted it to be shorter.
Old November 19th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Paige~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myik View Post

Akari picked out one thing, but it's not anything I can really suggest? I just see a few sentences with no spaces, but it seems like you have that under control since almost all of them are fixed.
I get the timeline, and I see it but still, I would just like to see them together more. Talking more and falling in love. Back then they still did that, the only true reason people got married quickly was because they died quickly. But, I see how you wanted it to be shorter.
I'll work on that if I can after the main plot is finished ^^

i'm only halfway done though this is like the climax

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
-Louis L’Amour
-EST-

Old November 19th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I'm actually back...

My Mood: Chatty

Here's a Suggestion! I Saw you Typed: “Alistair, there’s no guarantee it’s male. I was thinking of Maurice or Leo for a boy, and Adeline or Fleur.”
After the name Fleur, You should probably add in "for a girl.", or " If it turns out to be a girl. "

Last edited by Akari; November 19th, 2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old November 19th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Paige~

Quote:
Here's a Suggestion! I Saw you Typed: “Alistair, there’s no guarantee it’s male. I was thinking of Maurice or Leo for a boy, and Adeline or Fleur.”
After the name Fleur, You should probably add in "for a girl.", or " If it turns out to be a girl. "
Right. Thanks!

-Louis L’Amour
-EST-

Old November 19th, 2017, 06:39 PM
i love sussy the bestest

My Mood: Cool

I'm looking forward to hearing what your teacher says about this! I think your plot was very interesting, and it was an incredibly fun read!

I suggest creating a new paragraph every time someone speaks. This way the reader does not become confused when it comes to who's talking. Don't forget to indent!

At the bottom of the first page: it says, ``It was quite the spectacle, and it was no doubt...`` I believe it should be states as, ``It was quite the spectacle, and there was no doubt...``

Also, at the bottom of the first page a sentence begins with ``Bennett laughed, shouting`` I think there should be a comma after `shouting`.

I'm assuming you're looking to be as accurate as possible in the French language, and I figured I'd share this neat little French language lesson. So at the beginning of the second page, a blonde man appears. `Blonde` refers to a light-haired female, while `blond` refers to a light-haired male. However, `blonde` also refers to a fair-haired person. And in the same sentence, you mention an orange tinted light. I think there should be a dash between orange and tinted so it looks like: orange-tinted

Also in the second page, a line says, ``The french woman spun in a whirl of blue and gold ball gown...`` French should be capitalized, and I believe there should be an `a` in front of blue.

On page three, you used `blonde` again.

At the end of page three, you capitalized `No` in the middle of a sentence. I'd also adjust that sentence to make more sense as it currently says, ``No, No, just her brother. Who doesn't take very kindly...`` I don't understand the meaning of the period. The sentence continues, ``to a drunk miscreant hanging around her. So it would be wise of you to leave and not think of Ciraynne again.`` I think you should add, `so much as` in front of `think`.

I'd also like to note that you use the word `angry` a lot. I'd skim through your story and use synonyms of angry instead.

At the middle of the fourth page, Ciraynne is telling her brother where the Prince is. You punctuated the dialogue incorrectly. ``Is`` should not be capitalized.

On the fifth page, the two are dancing and talking about names for their child. The sentence goes, ``...lightly hit his shoulder, and the kept dancing.`` Shouldn't `the` be `then`? And in the sentence after, it says, ``They did for a little while more...`` I don't think using the word `did` makes much sense. Instead of `did`, maybe just use `danced`? And though this isn't really grammar-related or anything and just personal preference, I'll say it anyway: instead of `more`, I'd use `longer`. In the following sentence, when Ciraynne is saying, ``I think... i think i'm going to rest for a bit. I don't feel so good.``, the `I` is not capitalized, and neither is the `I` in `i'm`. Instead of `I don't feel so good` use, `I don't feel too well.`

In the fifth page, `blonde` is used again. And at the bottom of the page, instead of `well`, the word `good` is used.

As you transfer from page five to six, you state, ``But he withstood the symptoms of whatever he must've contracted hidden as best he would.`` This sentence doesn't make much sense to me, when read out loud.

On page six: ``Even though he wasn't very fond of Bennett, Alistair had to be involved with him to help Ciraynne. As they approached, Bennett looked considerably happier as his sister approached.`` 1. You use `approached` twice in one sentence. 2. Instead of `had to be involved with him to help Ciraynne.` I'd say, `tolerated him for Ciraynne.`

In the following sentence, you say ``same skin, same shorter but well built frame.`, I'd suggest changing this to `same skin tone, and even similar, well-built frames`

On the seventh page, Bennett is saying ``Well, You are both lucky I never travel somewhere...`` and I don't think the `You` should be capitalized. I also think the `somewhere` should be `anywhere`

Also on the seventh page, there is a sentence that goes, ``Bennett formed his doctor's office out of two chairs for Alistair and Ciraynne facing one for himself.`` I don't understand what `facing one for himself` means? Also, in one of the following sentences, you say, ``..dug into cleverly hidden pockets...`` which should be ``...dug into cleverly-hidden pockets..``

And on the seventh page, Ciraynne is saying, ``Bennett, I was trying to tell you whenever I saw you...`` I think this should be changed to, `Bennett, I tried to tell you every time I saw you..``

On the eighth page... ``...untied the ribbon holding the mask on his face and let the checkered and gold fall to his lap.`` Checkered and gold what?

On the eighth page, the word `French` is not capitalized. Also, there is supposed to be an `e` at the end of the word `more`

On the ninth page, a sentence goes, ``...almost half of the nobles formally revelling without a care either dead or dying.`` I don't know if you wanted `formally` or `formerly`there, but whichever way I'd put a `were` in front of `either`

On the tenth page, Ciraynne is saying she wasn't feeling good earlier. Instead of using the word `good`, use the word `well`. In the same sentence the `I` is not capitalized.

Like I said before, this story was very interesting to read, and I'm really looking forward to hearing about what your teacher thought!
Old November 19th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Paige~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsurdJinx View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing what your teacher says about this! I think your plot was very interesting, and it was an incredibly fun read!

I suggest creating a new paragraph every time someone speaks. This way the reader does not become confused when it comes to who's talking. Don't forget to indent!

At the bottom of the first page: it says, ``It was quite the spectacle, and it was no doubt...`` I believe it should be states as, ``It was quite the spectacle, and there was no doubt...``

Also, at the bottom of the first page a sentence begins with ``Bennett laughed, shouting`` I think there should be a comma after `shouting`.

I'm assuming you're looking to be as accurate as possible in the French language, and I figured I'd share this neat little French language lesson. So at the beginning of the second page, a blonde man appears. `Blonde` refers to a light-haired female, while `blond` refers to a light-haired male. However, `blonde` also refers to a fair-haired person. And in the same sentence, you mention an orange tinted light. I think there should be a dash between orange and tinted so it looks like: orange-tinted

Also in the second page, a line says, ``The french woman spun in a whirl of blue and gold ball gown...`` French should be capitalized, and I believe there should be an `a` in front of blue.

On page three, you used `blonde` again.

At the end of page three, you capitalized `No` in the middle of a sentence. I'd also adjust that sentence to make more sense as it currently says, ``No, No, just her brother. Who doesn't take very kindly...`` I don't understand the meaning of the period. The sentence continues, ``to a drunk miscreant hanging around her. So it would be wise of you to leave and not think of Ciraynne again.`` I think you should add, `so much as` in front of `think`.

I'd also like to note that you use the word `angry` a lot. I'd skim through your story and use synonyms of angry instead.

At the middle of the fourth page, Ciraynne is telling her brother where the Prince is. You punctuated the dialogue incorrectly. ``Is`` should not be capitalized.

On the fifth page, the two are dancing and talking about names for their child. The sentence goes, ``...lightly hit his shoulder, and the kept dancing.`` Shouldn't `the` be `then`? And in the sentence after, it says, ``They did for a little while more...`` I don't think using the word `did` makes much sense. Instead of `did`, maybe just use `danced`? And though this isn't really grammar-related or anything and just personal preference, I'll say it anyway: instead of `more`, I'd use `longer`. In the following sentence, when Ciraynne is saying, ``I think... i think i'm going to rest for a bit. I don't feel so good.``, the `I` is not capitalized, and neither is the `I` in `i'm`. Instead of `I don't feel so good` use, `I don't feel too well.`

In the fifth page, `blonde` is used again. And at the bottom of the page, instead of `well`, the word `good` is used.

As you transfer from page five to six, you state, ``But he withstood the symptoms of whatever he must've contracted hidden as best he would.`` This sentence doesn't make much sense to me, when read out loud.

On page six: ``Even though he wasn't very fond of Bennett, Alistair had to be involved with him to help Ciraynne. As they approached, Bennett looked considerably happier as his sister approached.`` 1. You use `approached` twice in one sentence. 2. Instead of `had to be involved with him to help Ciraynne.` I'd say, `tolerated him for Ciraynne.`

In the following sentence, you say ``same skin, same shorter but well built frame.`, I'd suggest changing this to `same skin tone, and even similar, well-built frames`

On the seventh page, Bennett is saying ``Well, You are both lucky I never travel somewhere...`` and I don't think the `You` should be capitalized. I also think the `somewhere` should be `anywhere`

Also on the seventh page, there is a sentence that goes, ``Bennett formed his doctor's office out of two chairs for Alistair and Ciraynne facing one for himself.`` I don't understand what `facing one for himself` means? Also, in one of the following sentences, you say, ``..dug into cleverly hidden pockets...`` which should be ``...dug into cleverly-hidden pockets..``

And on the seventh page, Ciraynne is saying, ``Bennett, I was trying to tell you whenever I saw you...`` I think this should be changed to, `Bennett, I tried to tell you every time I saw you..``

On the eighth page... ``...untied the ribbon holding the mask on his face and let the checkered and gold fall to his lap.`` Checkered and gold what?

On the eighth page, the word `French` is not capitalized. Also, there is supposed to be an `e` at the end of the word `more`

On the ninth page, a sentence goes, ``...almost half of the nobles formally revelling without a care either dead or dying.`` I don't know if you wanted `formally` or `formerly`there, but whichever way I'd put a `were` in front of `either`

On the tenth page, Ciraynne is saying she wasn't feeling good earlier. Instead of using the word `good`, use the word `well`. In the same sentence the `I` is not capitalized.

Like I said before, this story was very interesting to read, and I'm really looking forward to hearing about what your teacher thought!
Thank you so much! Most of those errors are me trying to just write and edit later, but I'll have to fix those soon.

-Louis L’Amour
-EST-