Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > Main Roleplay > SkyClan

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
answering the call...
by taillow
Last post by Forgetfulshape
Today 02:29 AM
Introducing Myself
Last post by kittycatburmise
Today 12:07 AM
going back to our watery...
Last post by Silverfur & Co
Yesterday 11:57 PM
homeward bound. [p]
by silver.
Last post by occultation
Yesterday 11:53 PM
a maple tree and a basil...
by ramen
Last post by ramen
Yesterday 11:51 PM

Old May 24th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Sugar Pine 7

My Mood: Happy

Default Re: SkyClan Training Plateau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar23 View Post
Blazingcomet had been out on the Training Plateau since earlier that morning. He hadn’t expected Cherrypaw to be there that early, but he was planning out a lesson - it wouldn’t be long before she would be a warrior, and he would go off in search of another apprentice. The funny thing was, he wasn’t quite sure if he would want to find another apprentice. After all, Cherrypaw was one feline he had a pretty special bond with - hopefully they would be able to spend some time together as warriors. Blazingcomet just felt old, thinking about his apprentice becoming a warrior - he’d be close to 30 moons at that point, and with still no kits, that was alarming. The tom couldn’t stand thinking about becoming old without a family. Hopefully he and Petal would be able to have one at some point. ”Morning, Cherrypaw! How are you today?” The tom asked, casting a cheerful smile across the area at his fluffy white apprentice. She was late - fashionably so - and didn’t exactly look like she’d been up early to get some hunting or practicing done. Her fur was going to be messy by the time training was over, Blazingcomet was sure of it, but she might as well have her fun - it was about all the fun she would get to have for a little while.
Letting out a gigantic sigh of relief, Cherrypaw padded towards her mentor. He seemed to be in a good mood so far, so perhaps she wouldn't start out this training session by getting in trouble. "I'm good." The white she-cat automatically responded. "It's a pretty morning, don't you think?" She cast her blue eyes up at the sky, appreciating the warming sun rays on her fur. She had been excited for another training session, but now that she was here all she wanted to do was climb up into a tree and take a little nap amongst the leaves and the breeze. When she was a warrior she'd be able to do that whenever she wanted. It was coming up soon, she remembered. The moons of training were going to pay off when Cherrypaw finally received her warrior name. "Alright, what are we doing today?" The apprentice asked, trying to keep her focus on her mentor.

Please check out my finder for my cats!

+Feel free to leave me a VM if I haven't responded to our RP within 4 days+

Profile pic
Old June 10th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fishie View Post

Heh, Shinefang teaching Ringpaw battle moves. This Trial is about to get rather... interesting. :3)

Ringpaw’s mouth hung open, then closed. It was true, if you thought about it. “I guess I just need to think through what is happening by nature.” She meowed. Perhaps he was right. It would take much more effort, and to be honest, the leaves were a good enough parsed to hold the juice than she could come up with.
“Snapbranch couldn’t tell a mouse from a beetle, even if you explained it to him.” She meowed, smiling. Even Shinefang admitted it! Her mentor was about as fluffbrained as a robin.
She continued on with her stem, crunching at the base of the leaves, nipping off the tangy branches, and sweeping them aside. It almost had a rhythm to it; find, bite, separate, move, dry. Repeat.
She reached out once more to grab ahold of another stem, except this time it got stuck on one claw. Her eyes narrowing, she flicked her paw up and down rapidly, trying to fling the dark green plant from her paw. It fell off and landed in front of her with a silent noise, and she bent down to begin working when Shinefang spoke.
When Shinefang gave her that direction, she immediately dropped the stem on the floor and swept it aside as she stood up.
“Where are we going? Are we looking for herbs?” She asked excitedly, her green eyes widening as she followed the large tom towards the exit to the den. Of course, she didn’t think through what he had said, and completely rushed in the fill the atmosphere with her chatter.
“I bet it’s fun looking for herbs. It’s much more fun with Snapbranch. He gets angry with me over nothing. You already know that.” She said in a flowing rush as she stepped outside. After being in the medicine den for awhile, the bright sunlight that radiated outside flashed in her orbs for a second, and the white light soon adjusted so camp came into view.
There were more felines roaming around than before, and she quickly scanned the crowd to make sure her mentor didn’t see her ‘messing around’ with Shinefang.
Herbs were important! Obviously, or else Medicine cats wouldn’t choose to make that their life. She looked eagerly back up to Shinefang, her ears forward and erect.

(Where to now?)
As they made their way out of the clearing and toward the training plateau, the young shecat continued to prattle on. She jabbers like a bird at dawn, he thought to himself, grunting in reply as they walked without really listening to what she was saying. It wasn't long before they reached the plateau and the old tom looked up at the flat stretch of stone above him. He sighed, realizing he hadn't had to climb the rock face for at least a pawful of greenleafs. Nevertheless, the old warrior unsheathed his claws and began to heave himself up the rockface. "Keep up!" he half shouted, half grunted as he climbed. The wind whipped through his yellow pelt as he made his way up in bursts, resting to catch his breath every few moments. It felt like a moon, but soon enough, he was hauling himself over the edge of the plateau and catching his breath on the wide expanse of rock. Just when he thought he had caught his breath, he felt his head swim and he sank to the ground, still huffing as he held up a paw. "Just...need...a minute..." he said between pants, coughing with the effort of speaking. His joints were on fire from the climb, and his heart was pounding in his chest.

Old June 10th, 2018, 05:57 PM
boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
As they made their way out of the clearing and toward the training plateau, the young shecat continued to prattle on. She jabbers like a bird at dawn, he thought to himself, grunting in reply as they walked without really listening to what she was saying. It wasn't long before they reached the plateau and the old tom looked up at the flat stretch of stone above him. He sighed, realizing he hadn't had to climb the rock face for at least a pawful of greenleafs. Nevertheless, the old warrior unsheathed his claws and began to heave himself up the rockface. "Keep up!" he half shouted, half grunted as he climbed. The wind whipped through his yellow pelt as he made his way up in bursts, resting to catch his breath every few moments. It felt like a moon, but soon enough, he was hauling himself over the edge of the plateau and catching his breath on the wide expanse of rock. Just when he thought he had caught his breath, he felt his head swim and he sank to the ground, still huffing as he held up a paw. "Just...need...a minute..." he said between pants, coughing with the effort of speaking. His joints were on fire from the climb, and his heart was pounding in his chest.
Ringpaw bounced along through the woods after Shinefang, nervous about the battle session. She had no idea how much Shinefang would still know, but if he knew something; he was an even better mentor than Snapbranch if he remembered anything.
As they trotted through the woodland, she relished the sound of chirping birds around her. Green-leaf was here- no doubt about it. It was warm and blissful, and she took a moment to breathe in deeply to enjoy the cacophony of sights and smells.
Skyclan is beautiful. There is no other clan like this; no way no how. She thought, a mental purr rumbling through her skull. She may not be forestborn, but she was a Skyclanner through and through.
The duo soon arrived at the plateau, and she looked up to the training grounds.
Snapbranch never took her here, he was too embarrassed of his foolhardy apprentice.
“If another warrior sees you... and tells Grousestar or Auroraflame, Ringpaw. I’d be done for.”
Her mentor’s words ran through her brain. Even her mean denmates were nicer than him, they weren’t afraid to introduce her if needed!
Even at gatherings he shoved Ringpaw behind him when he spoke to others, as if even seeing Ringpaw would be a disgrace to him.
Purring, she jogged towards a large rock to begin the climb. She loved this slope, and as she dug in her claws to get ahold of the stone, she relished this. Just one moon as a warrior apprentice and it was all downhill, quite literally, as she hadn’t ever gone back up this hill.
“Me? Are you sure you don’t want me to help you?” She asked. What she had said to Shinefang may have sounded rude, so she made sure to add a helpful and caring lift to her voice. She didn’t want him looking at her like she thought he was old.
To be honest, most of the elders were much too crabby or sweet for her. She didn’t like sugarcoating cats; or plain stubborn cats. Shinefang was known to be grumpy, but he wasn’t that bad to be honest.
She turned and scrabbled up, and when she arrived at the top behind the yellow tabby tom she met his eye.
“Okay! Are you sure you don’t want to...” She trailed off awkwardly, not sure how to end it. He was already resting, and he couldn’t go see the medicine cat about unsteady breath. He was the medicine cat!
She shifted from paw to paw in apprehension.
What will he teach me? What if he finds out what a clutz I am? Or if I slip up on something simple? I’m still learning- but even Snowbranch didn’t want anything to do with me. Maybe he’ll show me how to get better.
Her river of thoughts streamed through her head, but she soon turned back to Shinefang, her split calico face smiling and her green eyes wide.

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Old June 10th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Ringpaw bounced along through the woods after Shinefang, nervous about the battle session. She had no idea how much Shinefang would still know, but if he knew something; he was an even better mentor than Snapbranch if he remembered anything.
As they trotted through the woodland, she relished the sound of chirping birds around her. Green-leaf was here- no doubt about it. It was warm and blissful, and she took a moment to breathe in deeply to enjoy the cacophony of sights and smells.
Skyclan is beautiful. There is no other clan like this; no way no how. She thought, a mental purr rumbling through her skull. She may not be forestborn, but she was a Skyclanner through and through.
The duo soon arrived at the plateau, and she looked up to the training grounds.
Snapbranch never took her here, he was too embarrassed of his foolhardy apprentice.
“If another warrior sees you... and tells Grousestar or Auroraflame, Ringpaw. I’d be done for.”
Her mentor’s words ran through her brain. Even her mean denmates were nicer than him, they weren’t afraid to introduce her if needed!
Even at gatherings he shoved Ringpaw behind him when he spoke to others, as if even seeing Ringpaw would be a disgrace to him.
Purring, she jogged towards a large rock to begin the climb. She loved this slope, and as she dug in her claws to get ahold of the stone, she relished this. Just one moon as a warrior apprentice and it was all downhill, quite literally, as she hadn’t ever gone back up this hill.
“Me? Are you sure you don’t want me to help you?” She asked. What she had said to Shinefang may have sounded rude, so she made sure to add a helpful and caring lift to her voice. She didn’t want him looking at her like she thought he was old.
To be honest, most of the elders were much too crabby or sweet for her. She didn’t like sugarcoating cats; or plain stubborn cats. Shinefang was known to be grumpy, but he wasn’t that bad to be honest.
She turned and scrabbled up, and when she arrived at the top behind the yellow tabby tom she met his eye.
“Okay! Are you sure you don’t want to...” She trailed off awkwardly, not sure how to end it. He was already resting, and he couldn’t go see the medicine cat about unsteady breath. He was the medicine cat!
She shifted from paw to paw in apprehension.
What will he teach me? What if he finds out what a clutz I am? Or if I slip up on something simple? I’m still learning- but even Snowbranch didn’t want anything to do with me. Maybe he’ll show me how to get better.
Her river of thoughts streamed through her head, but she soon turned back to Shinefang, her split calico face smiling and her green eyes wide.
Finally, Shinefang was able to catch his breath, and he raised himself into a sitting position and looked at Ringpaw, his expression calm and discerning, if a little flushed from the exertion of the climb. "Now," he began, "What was it you were having trouble with exactly? What were you and your mentor going over?" Ringpaw wasn't the first cat in Skyclan or any other clan to have difficulty with fighting. Many cats didn't have a talent for it. If they did, there would be no use for the mentoring system the clans used. And not every cat served their clan through their battle skills. Some shecats wanted to be permanent queens, and some injured cats retired to the elders den early. All of that was just fine with him. But the fact was he had seen too many cats die in his life. Even here recently with Juniperpaw's disappearance, sometimes his mind would race with terrible, gruesome possibilities about what might have happened to her. It was his belief that every cat should have at least a basic knowledge of fighting for self-defense, and if this shecat's mentor was struggling with that, he'd lend a paw. After all, she couldn't be that bad.

Old June 10th, 2018, 06:31 PM
boo

Quote:
Finally, Shinefang was able to catch his breath, and he raised himself into a sitting position and looked at Ringpaw, his expression calm and discerning, if a little flushed from the exertion of the climb. "Now," he began, "What was it you were having trouble with exactly? What were you and your mentor going over?" Ringpaw wasn't the first cat in Skyclan or any other clan to have difficulty with fighting. Many cats didn't have a talent for it. If they did, there would be no use for the mentoring system the clans used. And not every cat served their clan through their battle skills. Some shecats wanted to be permanent queens, and some injured cats retired to the elders den early. All of that was just fine with him. But the fact was he had seen too many cats die in his life. Even here recently with Juniperpaw's disappearance, sometimes his mind would race with terrible, gruesome possibilities about what might have happened to her. It was his belief that every cat should have at least a basic knowledge of fighting for self-defense, and if this shecat's mentor was struggling with that, he'd lend a paw. After all, she couldn't be that bad.
Ringpaw smiled, trying to hide the move he had been teaching her.
“It was the front paw swipe. I- uh, we- haven’t gotten past that yet.” She meowed, her voice growing a bit more confident near the end. Snapbranch had tried to teach that to her, at their first session, actually.
Earlier today, she had entered the small glen Snapbranch had selected for their private sessions, and the training had commenced.
It had ended with her landing face down in the dirt at his large brown paws, a large bruise on her shoulder, and messy fur.
At the thought of her pelt, she turned around to glance at her fur.
The mottled calico markings were lost in the fray. Her already messy looking pelt pattern looked like she had been rolling in mud; it was so bad. Her fur was fuzzy and slick in some places, then spiked up and sharp like dry grass in others. Patches of tangled fur were in her belly fur, and she quickly licked her shoulder to smooth out one of the worst areas.
She would have to wash tonight, and thoroughly at that.
Turning back to smile at Shinefang, she flicked her tail up her spine to try and fix her pelt without drawing too much towards it.
“I’m not very good with balance, it gets difficult when I have to go on three paws. He also makes me do it on my right paw, I’m better with my left.” She started, indicating each paw with her tail.
Smiling, she looked up to the yellow tom.
“So where should we start?”

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Old June 10th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Ringpaw smiled, trying to hide the move he had been teaching her.
“It was the front paw swipe. I- uh, we- haven’t gotten past that yet.” She meowed, her voice growing a bit more confident near the end. Snapbranch had tried to teach that to her, at their first session, actually.
Earlier today, she had entered the small glen Snapbranch had selected for their private sessions, and the training had commenced.
It had ended with her landing face down in the dirt at his large brown paws, a large bruise on her shoulder, and messy fur.
At the thought of her pelt, she turned around to glance at her fur.
The mottled calico markings were lost in the fray. Her already messy looking pelt pattern looked like she had been rolling in mud; it was so bad. Her fur was fuzzy and slick in some places, then spiked up and sharp like dry grass in others. Patches of tangled fur were in her belly fur, and she quickly licked her shoulder to smooth out one of the worst areas.
She would have to wash tonight, and thoroughly at that.
Turning back to smile at Shinefang, she flicked her tail up her spine to try and fix her pelt without drawing too much towards it.
“I’m not very good with balance, it gets difficult when I have to go on three paws. He also makes me do it on my right paw, I’m better with my left.” She started, indicating each paw with her tail.
Smiling, she looked up to the yellow tom.
“So where should we start?”
Shinefang frowned. The front paw swipe was the most basic move a cat could learn. It was the first thing a mentor would generally teach a young apprentice because it was so easy. From the way the young shecat's coat held a layer of dirt and grime, he would have thought she had been struggling to use the badger defense or some other advanced move that most cats take a while to get. But a front paw swipe? But as he continued to listen, the part about having trouble being on three paws stood out to him, and his tail gave a twitch as he pondered a possible solution. "If you have trouble being on three paws, the place to start is getting better at that," he replied. "Stand on three paws for me as long as you can. And lift you left paw. If that's the paw you feel more comfortable using, that should be the paw you use to strike. Again,don't try that yet. For now, just stand there." With that, the older tom folded his fluffy tail over his paws and silently watched.

Old June 11th, 2018, 06:24 AM
boo

Quote:
Shinefang frowned. The front paw swipe was the most basic move a cat could learn. It was the first thing a mentor would generally teach a young apprentice because it was so easy. From the way the young shecat's coat held a layer of dirt and grime, he would have thought she had been struggling to use the badger defense or some other advanced move that most cats take a while to get. But a front paw swipe? But as he continued to listen, the part about having trouble being on three paws stood out to him, and his tail gave a twitch as he pondered a possible solution. "If you have trouble being on three paws, the place to start is getting better at that," he replied. "Stand on three paws for me as long as you can. And lift you left paw. If that's the paw you feel more comfortable using, that should be the paw you use to strike. Again,don't try that yet. For now, just stand there." With that, the older tom folded his fluffy tail over his paws and silently watched.
”Okay!”
Ringpaw’s excited voice bounced off of the rocks loudly. This was going to be alright. She could finally use her left paw!
“No! Right paws are more powerful! Use that one!”
Snapbranch’s command echoed in her head, and she tried to fight the urge to use her right paw. That one was a pale tan, her left paw was coal black.
Lifting at first the right paw, she narrowed her eyes and placed it firmly in the ground before confidently lifting her left paw.
She could feel the tenseness in her right paw move away as she flexed the other one; she was always more comfortable using her leg that could actually move when she wanted it to!
Beaming, she looked up and met Shinefang’s eye. Her balance wobbled a bit at first when she parted her focus, but she quickly righted herself.
“How am I doing?” She asked after awhile. A few moments before, she had been wobbling furiously, threatening to topple over. But when she stuck out her ringed calico tail, she found that her balance was much more even and steady paced.
She thought for a moment about one exercise she had done with Snapbranch. He had told her to climb onto a half fallen tree, one that had been knocked over by the recent storm. When she had scaled the rough bark, he had shouted up to stand on three paws, right paw out, and swipe five times without falling. She hadn’t even gotten past one. She had fell right off the uprooted tree, landing right in front of her mentor. It had been quite the fall, and she couldn’t stand for a second, but she was back up when he suggested hunting.
Hunting was lovely. She wasn’t very skilled in that either, but she loved the exhilarating chase when she could run; run far away from everything.
Of course, right after she uttered those words she had jinxed herself.
Her back left leg, the one with the scar, was getting tired after holding up the weight that her front paw was supposed to help carry. She tried to shuffle it backward into a more relaxed position, but the sudden movement rocked her backwards.
She landed with a hard thump on the cold stone below, her tail splaying out behind her as she fell into a sitting position.
Dismayed, she looked up at Shinefang, but instead smiled.
“Look! I still kept my paw up!”

~pom~

Last edited by pomegranate; June 11th, 2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

”Okay!”
Ringpaw’s excited voice bounced off of the rocks loudly. This was going to be alright. She could finally use her left paw!
“No! Right paws are more powerful! Use that one!”
Snapbranch’s command echoed in her head, and she tried to fight the urge to use her right paw. That one was a pale tan, her left paw was coal black.
Lifting at first the right paw, she narrowed her eyes and placed it firmly in the ground before confidently lifting her left paw.
She could feel the tenseness in her right paw move away as she flexed the other one; she was always more comfortable using her leg that could actually move when she wanted it to!
Beaming, she looked up and met Shinefang’s eye. Her balance wobbled a bit at first when she parted her focus, but she quickly righted herself.
“How am I doing?” She asked after awhile. A few moments before, she had been wobbling furiously, threatening to topple over. But when she stuck out her ringed calico tail, she found that her balance was much more even and steady paced.
She thought for a moment about one exercise she had done with Snapbranch. He had told her to climb onto a half fallen tree, one that had been knocked over by the recent storm. When she had scaled the rough bark, he had shouted up to stand on three paws, right paw out, and swipe five times without falling. She hadn’t even gotten past one. She had fell right off the uprooted tree, landing right in front of her mentor. It had been quite the fall, and she couldn’t stand for a second, but she was back up when he suggested hunting.
Hunting was lovely. She wasn’t very skilled in that either, but she loved the exhilarating chase when she could run; run far away from everything.
Of course, right after she uttered those words she had jinxed herself.
Her back left leg, the one with the scar, was getting tired after holding up the weight that her front paw was supposed to help carry. She tried to shuffle it backward into a more relaxed position, but the sudden movement rocked her backwards.
She landed with a hard thump on the cold stone below, her tail splaying out behind her as she fell into a sitting position.
Dismayed, she looked up at Shinefang, but instead smiled.
“Look! I still kept my paw up!”
Shinefang observed as the apprentice lifted her left paw, dark as a shadow. Absently, he thought that could be an advantage while fighting at night. A darker colored paw could be harder to see. "Good," Shinefang answered the shecat. "don't forget to use your-" but before the old tome could finish, she had already figured it out and stuck out her tail, waving it as she wobbled and fought to keep her balance. And soon enough, she did. He could see now where she got her name: her tail was covered by a set of distinct rings. She wasn't able to stay up for long before she lost her balance again. This time, she didn't recover. She fell onto her haunch with an undignified 'thud' and just for a moment, he saw a flash of distress race across her features. But just as quickly, it was gone, replaced by a happy grin and an enthusiastic 'did you see me?' The old tom's whiskers gave a twitch. Ringpaw was not unlike a kit, practically starving for the attention of an older cat. It made his heart sink a little to see it. "You did," he acknowledged with a nod. "Now try again. This time, see if you can hold it til I count to ten. Ready?" The old medicine cat lifted a paw off the ground as he waited for her to get into position, then smacked his paw hard against the stone. "One robin feather, two robin feather," he chanted, striking his paw against the plateau with each number as he watched her.

Old June 11th, 2018, 07:39 PM
boo

Quote:
Shinefang observed as the apprentice lifted her left paw, dark as a shadow. Absently, he thought that could be an advantage while fighting at night. A darker colored paw could be harder to see. "Good," Shinefang answered the shecat. "don't forget to use your-" but before the old tome could finish, she had already figured it out and stuck out her tail, waving it as she wobbled and fought to keep her balance. And soon enough, she did. He could see now where she got her name: her tail was covered by a set of distinct rings. She wasn't able to stay up for long before she lost her balance again. This time, she didn't recover. She fell onto her haunch with an undignified 'thud' and just for a moment, he saw a flash of distress race across her features. But just as quickly, it was gone, replaced by a happy grin and an enthusiastic 'did you see me?' The old tom's whiskers gave a twitch. Ringpaw was not unlike a kit, practically starving for the attention of an older cat. It made his heart sink a little to see it. "You did," he acknowledged with a nod. "Now try again. This time, see if you can hold it til I count to ten. Ready?" The old medicine cat lifted a paw off the ground as he waited for her to get into position, then smacked his paw hard against the stone. "One robin feather, two robin feather," he chanted, striking his paw against the plateau with each number as he watched her.
Three robin feathers, four robin feathers...

Stunned, Ringpaw launched back up to her feet, rising upwards on the windy cliff to resume her position. She had a timer now! She fought back her smile, and a look of determination settled on her face in a wave. She would get better at this; Snapbranch had to respect her now!
Although, not really. Not until she could make it through this.
She jolted her paw higher up into the air, this time letting her joints tense and lock to assure herself that she would stay up. She bent her back knees slightly, to give her a bit more leverage.

Five robin feathers, six robin feathers...

Shinefang’s pawsteps started out soft, but grew louder and hardly as the numbers went on. Or was it just Ringpaw? She stretched out her tail a bit longer, the fur flowing even more as she lifted it up like a flag, but lowered it a bit more. If she had it up like that in battle, any enemy could easily grab her and knock her off balance.
She glanced up at him for a moment, and her focus snapped. She teetered to the left and to the right, but powered with her left back paw and righted herself. Flashing a confident smile; not to anyone in particular this time, to herself.

Seven robin feathers, eight robin feathers...

Ringpaw felt the time slipping by. This was slowly getting easier, just wait until Snapbranch heard that he had been outdone by Shinefang! Shinefang wasn’t even a warrior anymore, yet he was a better teacher than her stale old cat she had been assigned would ever be.
She didn’t feel like a warrior. As a kit, she had watched some apprentices grow older and never play games anymore. What was that? She gave out a delighted purr. She rather liked being free.
The only time she had ever heard any sort of kindness from the black tom had been when he called her a furball. She had purred and smiled all day long after that. That small name had been like an affectionate pet name; not really, but if she wanted it that way, she could have it that way.

Nine robin feathers...

~pom~

Old June 11th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Sigh...

Quote:

Three robin feathers, four robin feathers...

Stunned, Ringpaw launched back up to her feet, rising upwards on the windy cliff to resume her position. She had a timer now! She fought back her smile, and a look of determination settled on her face in a wave. She would get better at this; Snapbranch had to respect her now!
Although, not really. Not until she could make it through this.
She jolted her paw higher up into the air, this time letting her joints tense and lock to assure herself that she would stay up. She bent her back knees slightly, to give her a bit more leverage.

Five robin feathers, six robin feathers...

Shinefang’s pawsteps started out soft, but grew louder and hardly as the numbers went on. Or was it just Ringpaw? She stretched out her tail a bit longer, the fur flowing even more as she lifted it up like a flag, but lowered it a bit more. If she had it up like that in battle, any enemy could easily grab her and knock her off balance.
She glanced up at him for a moment, and her focus snapped. She teetered to the left and to the right, but powered with her left back paw and righted herself. Flashing a confident smile; not to anyone in particular this time, to herself.

Seven robin feathers, eight robin feathers...

Ringpaw felt the time slipping by. This was slowly getting easier, just wait until Snapbranch heard that he had been outdone by Shinefang! Shinefang wasn’t even a warrior anymore, yet he was a better teacher than her stale old cat she had been assigned would ever be.
She didn’t feel like a warrior. As a kit, she had watched some apprentices grow older and never play games anymore. What was that? She gave out a delighted purr. She rather liked being free.
The only time she had ever heard any sort of kindness from the black tom had been when he called her a furball. She had purred and smiled all day long after that. That small name had been like an affectionate pet name; not really, but if she wanted it that way, she could have it that way.

Nine robin feathers...

The shecat kept her balance as the old tom kept count. Without him even instructing her, she intuitively picked up on ways to improve her balance. He saw he bend at her joints when she began to grow tired and stretch out her tail to let it wave and compensate for the subtle weight shifts. Shinefang smiled warmly as he watched the look on her face, growing more confident as he counted out loud. The old tom had always enjoyed this part of mentoring, watching the moment when a young cat started to really understand a lesson, the moment they got it. Ringpaw wasn't his apprentice, or course. Just a young, spirited cat who happened to get stuck with a mentor who didn't understand that to train a warrior, a mentor had to move at the apprentices pace. Each of his apprentices had had their strengths and areas of struggle. Turtlebright was smart and resilient, but needed to be reminded to keep his paws up when he went to jump. Fennelheart was talented, but arrogant. Specklespring was enthusiastic, but needed a bit more time on tracking lessons. All had grown into fine warriors.

"Ten robin feathers! Rest!"

His order given, Shinefang brandished a grin. "Very good," he meowed coolly. You kept your balance well. Next time, try keeping your legs slightly bent the whole time. If you keep your body low, you'll balance more easily. Good job using your tail. Again," he said, raining his paw. "This time to fifteen. One robin feather. Two robin feathers. Three robin feathers."

Last edited by Charmer; June 11th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.