Last post by lys.luvbot
Today 05:51 PM

Old November 25th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

My Mood: Yeehaw

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang's glance darted between the apprentice's face and her shoulder. "Maybe," he conceded. "Sometimes when a cat gets hurt in a way that makes a body part swell, it makes it hard to feel things below that body part. I'm hoping that if theirs some swelling in your shoulder, the mint will help." It all sounded like it made perfect sense, even as he said it. But even while he was applying the herb, he didn't see swelling. "Are you able to stand on it at all?" he asked the younger cat, managing to keep his worry at bay. He didn't need to assume the worse just yet. Her leg could be perfectly fine.
Oakpaw listened with intent, eyes shining. That hope that once sparked was now being kindled by his words. There was no way it could be false hope! ..Right? Oakpaw blinked as he asked if she could stand on her leg. Here it was. The ultimate test. The brown molly used her other foreleg to sit herself up, grunting with effort, and then stood up fully using her back legs. At least she could stand if all else fails. Oakpaw then attempted to flatten her paw on the ground. When she did, it looked awkward and broken. A twinge of fear entered her mind, but Oakpaw shook it off. Not now. She slowly put weight on it. Suddenly, her whole world came crashing down. Her paw bent to the side, and she fell over. And like that, her hope that burned like fire was blown away. Oakpaw lie still for a moment, staring at nothing in particular, and began to feel defeated. "No," she murmured. "I am not able to stand on it." Oakpaw rolled herself back over after a few tries, and stared at the ground.
Old November 25th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Oakpaw listened with intent, eyes shining. That hope that once sparked was now being kindled by his words. There was no way it could be false hope! ..Right? Oakpaw blinked as he asked if she could stand on her leg. Here it was. The ultimate test. The brown molly used her other foreleg to sit herself up, grunting with effort, and then stood up fully using her back legs. At least she could stand if all else fails. Oakpaw then attempted to flatten her paw on the ground. When she did, it looked awkward and broken. A twinge of fear entered her mind, but Oakpaw shook it off. Not now. She slowly put weight on it. Suddenly, her whole world came crashing down. Her paw bent to the side, and she fell over. And like that, her hope that burned like fire was blown away. Oakpaw lie still for a moment, staring at nothing in particular, and began to feel defeated. "No," she murmured. "I am not able to stand on it." Oakpaw rolled herself back over after a few tries, and stared at the ground.
At first as the the little shecat stood up, Shinefang felt hope flare within him. But when Oakpaw went to put weight on her leg, she crumpled to the ground. It was so fast, he had no time to catch her, and for a long moment he sat there in silence and sighed. He couldn't put it off any longer now. There was still time for something to change in her condition, but the bones in her paw were no good now and there was a chance they never would be. As the apprentice stared at the ground, Shinefang placed a paw on her shoulder and spoke to her in a voice more soft and gentle than most cats every heard from him. "I'm sorry, Oakpaw. I think that the monster crushed the small bones in your foot. They're too small for me to set them properly. The tingling and numbness might improve overtime, but your paw is going to be twisted like that for the rest of your life." The grizzled old tom closed his eye, shame washing over him. Poor Oakpaw had an old, untrained fleabag for a medicine cat, and she would pay for that forever. "I'm so sorry," he said again.

Old November 26th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
At first as the the little shecat stood up, Shinefang felt hope flare within him. But when Oakpaw went to put weight on her leg, she crumpled to the ground. It was so fast, he had no time to catch her, and for a long moment he sat there in silence and sighed. He couldn't put it off any longer now. There was still time for something to change in her condition, but the bones in her paw were no good now and there was a chance they never would be. As the apprentice stared at the ground, Shinefang placed a paw on her shoulder and spoke to her in a voice more soft and gentle than most cats every heard from him. "I'm sorry, Oakpaw. I think that the monster crushed the small bones in your foot. They're too small for me to set them properly. The tingling and numbness might improve overtime, but your paw is going to be twisted like that for the rest of your life." The grizzled old tom closed his eye, shame washing over him. Poor Oakpaw had an old, untrained fleabag for a medicine cat, and she would pay for that forever. "I'm so sorry," he said again.
As Shinefang confirmed her fears, Oakpaw squeezed her eyes shut and clawed at the ground. If only she hadn't been so stupid! What was she thinking, waltzing up to the Thunderpath like an untrained apprentice? Stupid! Stupid! What would Magnoliawool say? Oakpaw looked up at the den entrance as if Magnoliawool were about to walk in at that moment, but nothing happened. Oakpaw looked over at the medicine cat. He looked just as upset as her about this. She opened her jaws to speak, but the words she had formed in her head began to cloud and disappear. There was nothing to be said. Letting out a small sigh, Oakpaw laid her head on her paws. The same image of her mentor kept coming back to mind until Oakpaw felt sick to her stomach with worry. What would she say? What could she say? Oakpaw sheathed her claws on her good paw, and looked up at Shinefang. "What will you tell her? My mentor?"
Old November 26th, 2017, 05:52 PM
My profile has a message!

My Mood: Pensive

Quote:
Shinefang watched as another spasm of pain gripped the little cat, keeping still as he listened and thought about what she was saying. It certainly wasn’t unheard of for a younger cat to be more sensitive to prey that had set on the pile too long than an older cat, but if her mother gave her the mouse she would have smelled the tang of prey turning to crowfood, right? Then again queens could get tired from all their kits’ shenanigans and miss the smell too, especially if it was just spoiled enough to affect a kit but not a queen. “It could be that Swanheart’s stomach was just a little stronger than yours. She’s a fully grown cat after all.” Shinefang moved to his herb stores and pulled out a pawful if dried yarrow flowers. “This will get it out of your belly. But it will make you feel sick for just a minute. Shinefang set the flowers in a pile and set a small layer of moss pulled from his nest beside it. “Go ahead and eat the flowers. Just do me a favor and aim for the moss.”
Purekit nodded, "Okay," she meowed. "Swanheart is a lot older than me." The female twitched her tail, wondering whether she should stand up and follow the tom cat as he padded back into his herb stores. Purekit stood up upon making up her mind. But, before she could move a paw step, the medicine cat had already reappeared, carrying a small bundle of herbs in his mouth. Plopping back on her silver furred haunches, the she-cat listened to his instruction. This will get it out of your belly. But it will make you feel sick for just a minute. Just for a minute? Well, if she felt better afterwards, the herbs would be worth it. Nodding to Shinefang, Purekit dipped her small head and lapped up the herbs obediently. Before the young kit had time to ponder the bitter taste, her stomach gave a ginormous heave and the contents of her belly were suddenly infront of her on the moss lying on her sandy floor of the den. Although the stuff was now out of her, Purekit didn't feel all that much better. "It still feels bad." She whispered, hoping the tom knew what to do. She hated these stomach pains, and wished they owuld go away forever.

Last edited by Undercover; November 26th, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old November 26th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
As Shinefang confirmed her fears, Oakpaw squeezed her eyes shut and clawed at the ground. If only she hadn't been so stupid! What was she thinking, waltzing up to the Thunderpath like an untrained apprentice? Stupid! Stupid! What would Magnoliawool say? Oakpaw looked up at the den entrance as if Magnoliawool were about to walk in at that moment, but nothing happened. Oakpaw looked over at the medicine cat. He looked just as upset as her about this. She opened her jaws to speak, but the words she had formed in her head began to cloud and disappear. There was nothing to be said. Letting out a small sigh, Oakpaw laid her head on her paws. The same image of her mentor kept coming back to mind until Oakpaw felt sick to her stomach with worry. What would she say? What could she say? Oakpaw sheathed her claws on her good paw, and looked up at Shinefang. "What will you tell her? My mentor?"
Shinefang shook his head in a futile gesture to contain the irritation he had toward the shecat who hadn't kept a closer eye on the apprentice. "You can tell her whatever you like. I plan to tell her to learn to use her sense if she wants to train apprentices. I've trained four to become warriors and I made sure they were too busy to go running off on dangerous adventures." The old tom gave a huff of frustration. "I wouldn't worry about that now though. Like I said, your paw may never be the same, but more time to heal may improve the function of your leg. You should rest and have some freshkill. Do you want me to check for anything in particular on he freshkill pile?" It was a small consolation, but it was true. The little bones may be irreparable, but perhaps her leg would be just fine. He clung to that sliver of hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
Purekit nodded, "Okay," she meowed. "Swanheart is a lot older than me." The female twitched her tail, wondering whether she should stand up and follow the tom cat as he padded back into his herb stores. Purekit stood up upon making up her mind. But, before she could move a paw step, the medicine cat had already reappeared, carrying a small bundle of herbs in his mouth. Plopping back on her silver furred haunches, the she-cat listened to his instruction. This will get it out of your belly. But it will make you feel sick for just a minute. Just for a minute? Well, if she felt better afterwards, the herbs would be worth it. Nodding to Shinefang, Purekit dipped her small head and lapped up the herbs obediently. Before the young kit had time to ponder the bitter taste, her stomach gave a ginormous heave and the contents of her belly were suddenly infront of her on the moss lying on her sandy floor of the den. Although the stuff was now out of her, Purekit didn't feel all that much better. "It still feels bad." She whispered, hoping the tom knew what to do. She hated these stomach pains, and wished they owuld go away forever.
Shinefang watched with a grimace as the kit got sick all over the moss. He was surprised to hear after the fit of vomiting that her stomach was still hurting. Normally if it was food-related, cats started to feel better as soon as the bad food was up. It could just be taking a minute, but the kit was obviously still in a lot of pain. "Uh..." Shinefang said stupidly, moving back to his herb store. What in Starclan's name is good for bellyache?! Did I honestly never see a cat get treated for it before? His roving orange eye fell on a yellow flower with lots of petals that looked a bit like a marigold. Tansy, he thought to himself, recognizing the plant. What was this for again? Not wanting to keep the kit waiting any longer, he snatched it off his shelf and bit a piece off of the large flower. He set the piece in front of the little shecat and pointed at it with his paw. "Let's give this a try," he suggested, trying to keep his voice friendly and confident in the hopes the little kit didn't realize he was just guessing.

(Tansy is for cough, so it shouldn't do much if anything.)

Last edited by Charmer; November 26th, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
Shinefang shook his head in a futile gesture to contain the irritation he had toward the shecat who hadn't kept a closer eye on the apprentice. "You can tell her whatever you like. I plan to tell her to learn to use her sense if she wants to train apprentices. I've trained four to become warriors and I made sure they were too busy to go running off on dangerous adventures." The old tom gave a huff of frustration. "I wouldn't worry about that now though. Like I said, your paw may never be the same, but more time to heal may improve the function of your leg. You should rest and have some freshkill. Do you want me to check for anything in particular on he freshkill pile?" It was a small consolation, but it was true. The little bones may be irreparable, but perhaps her leg would be just fine. He clung to that sliver of hope.
Oakpaw nodded with a frown. Magnoliawool was sensitive. It would be most likely that she would not take it well. Although she was soft and caring, Magnoliawool had a temper that flared whenever she got called out for making mistakes. But this was a big mistake, a scornful voice spat in her mind. Oakpaw blinked at his offer, feeling a familiar hungry rumble in her stomach at the mention of food. "Anything but a bird," she chuckled. "The last thing I need is a feather in my throat." The brown she-cat blinked gratefully at Shinefang, offering a small smile. In her mind, however, she felt despondant. Fear of not becoming a warrior, her mentor's reaction, and her life as a cripple all seemed terrifying to her. Oakpaw gave herself a little shake and looked outside of the den.
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:56 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Oakpaw nodded with a frown. Magnoliawool was sensitive. It would be most likely that she would not take it well. Although she was soft and caring, Magnoliawool had a temper that flared whenever she got called out for making mistakes. But this was a big mistake, a scornful voice spat in her mind. Oakpaw blinked at his offer, feeling a familiar hungry rumble in her stomach at the mention of food. "Anything but a bird," she chuckled. "The last thing I need is a feather in my throat." The brown she-cat blinked gratefully at Shinefang, offering a small smile. In her mind, however, she felt despondant. Fear of not becoming a warrior, her mentor's reaction, and her life as a cripple all seemed terrifying to her. Oakpaw gave herself a little shake and looked outside of the den.
Shinefang nodded and padded out of his den and toward the freshkill pile, sifting through it until he found a vole. He padded back at once and set the morsel in front of the apprentice. "Eat up," he meowed flatly. "I'll be curious to see how your leg is doing tomorrow. Time will tell. I wouldn't lose hope just yet. After all, your not the first apprentice to get yourself hurt. I lost my eye when I was just a bit older than you. Still an apprentice." The old tom craned his neck to lick to ragged fur on his shoulder. He stopped after a couple of meager licks, not able to reach it comfortably.

Old November 28th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
Shinefang nodded and padded out of his den and toward the freshkill pile, sifting through it until he found a vole. He padded back at once and set the morsel in front of the apprentice. "Eat up," he meowed flatly. "I'll be curious to see how your leg is doing tomorrow. Time will tell. I wouldn't lose hope just yet. After all, your not the first apprentice to get yourself hurt. I lost my eye when I was just a bit older than you. Still an apprentice." The old tom craned his neck to lick to ragged fur on his shoulder. He stopped after a couple of meager licks, not able to reach it comfortably.
Oakpaw's mouth watered at the sight of the rodent. She looked up at the old tom and nodded at his words. It was true that her leg may heal, and that was the only bit of hope she had of becoming a warrior. Oakpaw blinked at his bit of information. Oakpaw hadn't taken his missing eye into account, but now that he mentioned it, she began to notice more and more. Snapping away from her thoughts, Oakpaw tried to lighten the mood. "Thank you," she purred. "Look on the bright side: at least you'll have someone to keep you company for a while." Oakpaw nibbled at her vole, but noticed he was struggling to reach some unkempt fur. Memories of caring for elders came flooding back. Despite the wreak of mousebile and the flea crushing, Oakpaw liked to talk to the elders. They were nice company and a lot of fun to be around, especially when they told stories. "Do you want me to get that for you? It's the least I can do in return for the vole," she asked.
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Oakpaw's mouth watered at the sight of the rodent. She looked up at the old tom and nodded at his words. It was true that her leg may heal, and that was the only bit of hope she had of becoming a warrior. Oakpaw blinked at his bit of information. Oakpaw hadn't taken his missing eye into account, but now that he mentioned it, she began to notice more and more. Snapping away from her thoughts, Oakpaw tried to lighten the mood. "Thank you," she purred. "Look on the bright side: at least you'll have someone to keep you company for a while." Oakpaw nibbled at her vole, but noticed he was struggling to reach some unkempt fur. Memories of caring for elders came flooding back. Despite the wreak of mousebile and the flea crushing, Oakpaw liked to talk to the elders. They were nice company and a lot of fun to be around, especially when they told stories. "Do you want me to get that for you? It's the least I can do in return for the vole," she asked.
"Look on the bright side?" Shinefang repeated, his tone incredulous. He shook his head. "Look on the bright side, she says, with her two good eyes. Some apprentices can be so insensitive," he looked away as he said it, so that the little shecat couldn't see his fiendish grin, but he couldn't keep that up for more than a second and turned to see the look oh her face. "Nah. That's ok," the tom declined, still to proud to let younger cats look after him like he was some elder. He may not be a warrior, but he'd always have the heart of one.

Old November 28th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Man! The man is NONSTOP!

Quote:
"Look on the bright side?" Shinefang repeated, his tone incredulous. He shook his head. "Look on the bright side, she says, with her two good eyes. Some apprentices can be so insensitive," he looked away as he said it, so that the little shecat couldn't see his fiendish grin, but he couldn't keep that up for more than a second and turned to see the look oh her face. "Nah. That's ok," the tom declined, still to proud to let younger cats look after him like he was some elder. He may not be a warrior, but he'd always have the heart of one.
Oakpaw stammered for words, trying to defend herself. "I d-didn't mean it like that! I only meant to be p-positive," she sputtered. She relaxed as he turned around, humor in his expression. Oakpaw shook her head and chuckled. He sure got her. Oakpaw looked up at Shinefang, listening to his reply. Oakpaw nodded, and then remembered her prey. Eyes glittering with joy, Oakpaw tucked into her vole. A purr rumbled quietly from her throat as she took quick, clean bites. Oakpaw paused. "Thank you again!" And then she resumed. At least her mentor taught her to be grateful for prey.

Last edited by Role; November 28th, 2017 at 08:26 PM.