Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > OOC > Warriors Discussion

Notice
Are you a master egg-finder? Check out the Spring Egg Hunt!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader: Dawnstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader:
Birdsnow
Deputy: Fadingsun
Medicine Cat: None

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader: Twilightstar
Deputy: Fallownose
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Q & A! (With my...
Last post by *_Athena_*
Today 02:40 PM
Q & A WITH THE THREE!
Last post by CrimsonOaks
Today 02:32 PM
The Sol of a Strawberry...
Last post by CrimsonOaks
Today 02:30 PM
|`Ollie's Territory`|...
Last post by CrimsonOaks
Today 02:24 PM
Riddle me this… [Herb...
by Fawn<3
Last post by SeonghwasBunnyEars
Today 02:12 PM
View Poll Results: Where did Erin Hunter lose your interest?
The Prophecies Begin 3 6.00%
New Prophecy 10 20.00%
Power of Three 19 38.00%
Omen of the Stars 21 42.00%
A Vision of Shadows 8 16.00%
Dawn of the Clans 6 12.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4th, 2018, 10:55 PM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days
My Mood: Kingly

Default Where did Erin Hunter lose your interest and why?

Starting losing it in the New Prophecy and the Power of Three arc killed it for me.
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:07 PM
the stars are aligned

My Mood: Queenly

Default Re: Where did Erin Hunter lose your interest and why?

Disclaimer: Only referencing plot events and arc progression, ignoring writing style and character ...issues, to put it nicely.

New Prophecy books were.... meh. They didn't have the simplistic, clan-life chaos and charm that the previous series wrote about excellently. But I held on, thinking the new territory (which I didn't like anyway) would just be a stepping stone to bringing back the mundane plots of the first series.

Power of Three shattered those hopes. The major influence of StarClan was a turn off for me (not to mention the beginning trend of genuinely "special cats" by inheritance) but I did trudge on until the end. The plot didn't pick up, and unfortunately Erin Hunter continued the theme of having significant StarClan influence.

I barely read fifty pages of Omen of Stars. Absolutely miserable.

Until Erin Hunter stops using StarClan and special cats/overwhelming prophecies as a crutch to aid in their plotting, I'm done.

everything about us is going to be wonderful
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:15 PM
the tale of six.

Bump Policy: do not bump.
My Mood: Mysterious

i read up to the end of omen of the stars and bramblestar's special edition, then only one book of the newer arc until i just stopped. it grew boring after a while, with all the same villains and plotlines. there wasn't anything really special that happened that kept me going. like, yeah, i'd read warriors again, but it'd most likely only be dawn of the clans and the first arc. all of the other books are just,, bleh to me.

i didn't really like much of the characters either. it seems to just repeat personalities and reactions over and over again. idk how to explain it i just know that as soon as bramble became leader i was gone. the books kinda just lost their touch to keep me hooked.

this is really repetitive oops sorry
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:50 PM
Foot Wallet

Bump Policy: After a day
My Mood: Adorable

The first arc had a charm that I really liked, got me hooked on the whole thing. seeing through the perspective of one character, there were twists and mysteries in it. Each character had their own personalized reactions to things that happened and each character was different, even those who weren't in the clan. I loved Bluestar, how she started to think she couldn't trust anyone, how she lost faith in Starclan. One of my favourite things was how Starclan existed, but they couldn't really do much to affect living world things except give warnings and advice on what to do.
Now, with Starclan basically doing everything to make the plot, no twists, the same characters being good and bad. Nothing seems genuine anymore.

You can contact me on discord (sock.puppet.man) if you wanna talk
I appreciate tone tags, sorry if I'm a little awkward.

my pfp is from the 1987 tmnt animated series
Old February 4th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Miraculous Lover

My Mood: Fine

Erin Hunter lost me at Dawn of the Clans mainly because I just grew older and I started to read the books in couple hours and my mom couldn't keep your with my voracious reading appetite. I still enjoy the series and will reread it from time to time and as you can see I use this site alot. I love the idea of cats having a hierarchy and having their own lives within these factions. The cats who lead these lives have such interesting back stories and I never grew tired of the Starclan prophecies and was enchanted with the leaders and medicine cats. I'm aiming for one of my cats to be a leader or a medicine cat but that'll take a while😌. To be honest I'm still in love with the series but I just don't read it anymore.

I've decided I'd rather not roleplay but just create characters. The link to my Warrior Cat making thread is right here.

Old February 5th, 2018, 07:58 PM
Confuzzled Weirdo

My Mood: Psychedelic

I loved the first arc, but when I got to book 5, I decided to go into chronological order. That put me back into Dawn of the Clans, and I loved that arc to the death. Then I went through the painstaking novella and SE period in which, yes, I enjoyed it, but in a way so that I frequently took breaks to keep up my stamina. New Prophecy was okay for me, nothing special but nothing that made me too upset. Nowadays I remember when I learned that the old territories were going to be destroyed and I had a weird bout of being upset. POT was too much of a labor, but I continued. The whole time travel thing bored me beacuse of how disconnected to the plot it was. The only reason I continue to read with hope is because of how many people are praising AVOS, at least in my own little bubble.
Waffle.

Old February 5th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Alpha wolf

My Mood: Daring

I felt like the power of three was a little boring, they sorta did the same thing over and over.

My pack:

Former packmates:
@Braveheartedwarrior
@Honeystorm (she)
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:04 PM
leave the past behind

My Mood: Fine

I was pretty young when I read the series, so I was always excited to read up until the end of Omen of the Stars, and thennnnn I got pretty bored with the series. Now that I look back at it, there's so many errors and plot holes (which, of course, can be attributed to the surplus of characters and there being more than one author, so I can't really hate on that) that I would be seriously disinterested in reading at my current age. There's also just many of the same plots over and over and it gets kind of boring to read.

lio was here ♥

Last edited by ameko; February 5th, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:47 AM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad King View Post
Starting losing it in the New Prophecy and the Power of Three arc killed it for me.
realized i never answered "why"

but i could never get into the clans being driven out of their homes and moving beyond a mountain range to find their new home, especially with little to no casualties (iirc there was only one, and he fell off a ledge).

the old territory was fantastic and it was replaced by some .. bland lake with a dock and some nearby stables. i'd understand the desire for a change of scenery but the endgame wasn't worth the six books that led to it. even the tribe seemed out of place; the idea of another faction with a different set-up is awesome, but the erins gave us a handful of pushovers who were being hunted by a mountain lion and couldn't even defend their borders from another invading group.

the power of three introduced the idea of "powers" and "reincarnations" to the series, and that didn't even pan out. the "power of the three" was useless (and they ended up losing the powers anyway, with them minimally being used in the "great battle") and the reincarnations that took place don't have much meaning - who cares about jay's wing / dove's wing / lion's roar ? the only one that did anything substantial in life was jay's wing, and that doesn't warrant a reincarnation when no one else has had one. not to mention, they botched the "reincarnation" of cinderheart / cinderpelt and made it an outright possession instead.

don't even want to get into omen of the stars and their "the dark forest is coming!!!! they're invading the living we gotta fight them"
wasn't even worth firestar finally dying

wolfhive
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:59 PM
✶Random Melody's Opal✶

Well
I had a lot of problems with the series, to begin with, mostly stemming from how the first series ended. It was there that I began to strongly dislike the series despite reading it because as authors are prone to do, they took it in a direction that made no sense without the explanation of "StarClan's Wooshy-Swooshy Star Power". StarClan had never stricken me as something that should be omnipotent- it was one thing for prophecies, it was another thing to gift powers to three (wait, no, four cats, StarClan can't count apparently).

The first series of books had a charming appeal to them, which is what drew me in. It had a coherent plot and a more realistic feel to it. While the writing wasn't superb, it was great in terms of plot and character development. You had a character who was rivaling the expectations of all the wild cats, a former kittypet clawing his way up the social ladder to prove himself worthy of being a ThunderClan cat. A classic Hero's Journey. He made several close friendships, namely with Greypaw and Ravenpaw, and a few enemies like Longtail and Dustpaw. The appeal of his budding romance with Sandpaw, as well as the remaining feel of loss from losing his first love Spottedleaf made for a great romantic sub-plot. The slowly degrading sanity of Bluestar brought a sense of dread, and the sub-plot of her half-blood kits added to her character in a beautiful way. The uprising of Tigerstar, my favorite villain of all time and his rather entertaining henchman Darkstripe helped carry the plot forward and encouraged hatred for the enemies in such a way that you couldn't sympathize with them even if they had a tragic backstory. Despite the rather disappointing end to the greatest villain in the entire series, it was an enjoyable read from beginning to end.

The second series was disappointing in several ways. It was sloppily crafted. It could have been something that would have added to the story of the Warriors Timeline, but it was really forgettable to me. A tiny blip on the radar, if you will. Nothing about it stuck out, and the only things that affected the next series were the change of location and Leadpool's/Crowfeather's drama.

The third series had a vaguely interesting premise, but the addition of 'powered' cats made everything artificial and typical. The charm that I found in the original book series was lost with the introduction of the "three" powered cats. The fourth series only served to overcomplicate things and after Firestar's death, I just stopped reading. I was disappointed, and I only really re-read books from the first series after that.

♡♡♡
But now I know, without a doubt...
The luckiest day of my life was the day I met you~

♡♡♡