Berrypaw

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
Go to first new post It all falls down [SHC...
Last post by rubberRatroom
Today 10:53 PM
Go to first new post berry and fading
Last post by occultation
Today 10:50 PM
under a starry sky
Last post by occultation
Today 10:47 PM
of hate, limits and...
by alec
Last post by alec
Today 10:42 PM
down by the water
by taillow
Last post by occultation
Today 10:32 PM

Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:37 PM
on an indefinite hiatus

My Mood: Psychedelic

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
Shinefang, raised an eyebrow at the younger cat, his remaining eye roving as he sized up the younger male. He'd have already sent him to Starclan if he wanted? The old tom scoffed. "Id like to see you try, kit." It was then that Shinefang noticed the patched of reddened fur in the apprentice's ginger pelt dotted here and there. An especially bad bleed was noticeable on his cheek. "What did you go and do? Get into a fight with a bramble bush?" Shinefang snorted as he trotted closer, not asking before reaching out with a to peel aside the fur on the younger cats face to check if the wound there was still bleeding. "Here's a warrior lesson for you, Skyclan doesn't need you to defend it against thorn bushes."

Flickerpaw simply flicked his ears at Shinefang’s response, turning his head a bit as Shinefang padded closer. He tried not to wince as the older tom touched the reddened patch of fur, feeling a pang if pain flick through his face. “I mean, I’m not going to lie, those bushes can get feisty!” The ginger and white tomcat joked, widening his eyes as if what he said were true. “They’ve got the long flailing tendrils that will just curl around you any chance they get!” As Shinefang spoke again, Flickerpaw smirked a little, not too much to them point where he would move the fur on his cheek too much. “I think Skyclan would appreciate it if somecat took all the hits from the bramblebushes first.” He raises his eyebrows, looking at Shinefang with his dark blue eyes. “So really what you should be saying is thank you.”

Character Site
--
See the bottom of this page here for characters available to RP.
I respond to rps on Tuesdays, Friday mornings, and Sundays.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:46 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
Glad that the medicine cat didn't press anymore on the subject, the she-cat let out a small puff of breath and allowed her eyes to close for the moment. For the most part, the leader's dabbing paw didn't cause too much pain and it eased up whenever she made the slightest wince. Surprisingly enough for a cat with no training, he was doing good. Well, not that she knew anything about it, she was half expecting him to be rough and clumsy with applying the solution. It was a pleasant and less-painful surprise.
Grousestar grinned just slightly at the joking compliment, his ear flicking a bit in what could have been taken as bashfulness. "Ah, not so sure I would be good at it. Might just talk all of my patients to death if that were the case." Finishing up, he made sure to get every last bit of the salve from the cobnut before nodding his head slightly and looking over at his medicine cat. To say in the least, he was curious as to what the older tom would be saying next. And as Shinefang explained that he wished to start looking for an apprentice, he brightened and nodded his head eagerly. "That's a wonderful idea. We could certainly do with having an extra paw to help when next leafbare strikes that's for sure. Who knows if I'll be getting sick again!" He purred out, not quite understanding that that wasn't what Shinefang meant. Whether it was blissful ignorange or it went right over his head was unclear, but he didn't acknowledge the fact that Shinefang indeed was getting older. And that it was a completely real possibility that he only had a few good leafbares left in him.
"Truly a horrific death," Shinefang joked dryly. The leader was gentle and careful as he finished applying the salve. Barbedfall was a model patient, keeping still and calm until it was done. When he mentioned looking for an apprentice, the leader's response was enthusiastic. He smiled, appreciating the younger tom's optimistic nature. "You are not going to get sick again because you're going to listen to your medicine cat when he tells you that you're going to clean off that paw, do your walk around the clearing, and then get back to resting." He said it lightly, but the leader had been staying in the den long enough to know the medicine cat was not joking. He stood up, ready to accompany the leader on his venture out of the den. Suddenly, he paused, thought for a moment, and grabbed a dandelion leaf off his shelf in his teeth and placed it in front of Barbedfall. "If you change your mind, chew it. The juice will help the pain. You can just spit out the pulp on the floor when you're done. I'll get it later," he said, turning to Grousestar again. "'Course, once I have an apprentice, I'll have someone to handle that for me." The old tom, cackled at his own joke as he slipped out of the den to go with the leader on his walk.

Old June 4th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHead View Post

Flickerpaw simply flicked his ears at Shinefang’s response, turning his head a bit as Shinefang padded closer. He tried not to wince as the older tom touched the reddened patch of fur, feeling a pang if pain flick through his face. “I mean, I’m not going to lie, those bushes can get feisty!” The ginger and white tomcat joked, widening his eyes as if what he said were true. “They’ve got the long flailing tendrils that will just curl around you any chance they get!” As Shinefang spoke again, Flickerpaw smirked a little, not too much to them point where he would move the fur on his cheek too much. “I think Skyclan would appreciate it if somecat took all the hits from the bramblebushes first.” He raises his eyebrows, looking at Shinefang with his dark blue eyes. “So really what you should be saying is thank you.”
Shinefang grunted at the apprentice's cocky and sarcastic response. "Our hero," he grumbled under his breath, as he continued checking the rest of the younger cat's wounds, peeling back the fur to look at each one in turn. The one on his cheek was still bleeding a bit but it had slowed to a manageable point. No other cut was nearly as deep and they all appeared to have clotted already, but a few had dirt visible in the wound. None of the scratches were life threatening by themselves, so infection was the only major danger. "This one," he said matter of factly, pointing a paw at a cut on the tom's left foreleg, "this one on your chest, and this one on your right haunch are all dirty. Lick them clean while I get you some herbs," he ordered, moving top his herb stores and grumbling as he began to pull down the herbs he wanted to use. Dock should sooth the stinging. Maybe some chervil just on the bigger one.

Old June 10th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Sigh...

(Relax. You're gonna do just fine )
@Silver Fishie

Sinefang lumbered into the medicine den with a thick crop to thyme between his teeth. This had been his lucky day! He'd found a crop of the soft-stemmed herb nestled near a cluster of thorny bushes where he supposed no other cats had bothered to look before. He wondered absently if it was the same crop of bushes Flickerpaw had stumbled into and shook his head. "Apprentices," he murmured. He set the herbs down in front of his stone shelves and glanced over his shoulder, his single orange eye roving as he took in the sight of the poorly lit den. For once, he had the medicine den to himself. Any injured cats were well enough to sleep in their own dens and simply drop by for an extra layer of salve or a checkup to make sure any scrapes or scratches showed no sign of infection. The old tom breathed a contented sigh. "Finally, I can get some work done," he said to himself. Careful, he bent down with his scarred muzzle and carefully began to nip the tiny leaves off of the thick stem and carefully lay out the leaves on the ground to let them dry in the greeleaf air. Suddenly, he raised his head, his torn and tattered ears swiveling as he caught the sound of a cat moving outside of his den. He wrinkled his nose as he caught the cat's scent. "Back again, Ringpaw?" He meowed, his voice a harsh croak. "Do you actually need me for something this time are are you just here to stand around and take up space again?"

Old June 10th, 2018, 09:39 AM
boo

My Mood: Happy

Quote:
(Relax. You're gonna do just fine )
@Silver Fishie

Sinefang lumbered into the medicine den with a thick crop to thyme between his teeth. This had been his lucky day! He'd found a crop of the soft-stemmed herb nestled near a cluster of thorny bushes where he supposed no other cats had bothered to look before. He wondered absently if it was the same crop of bushes Flickerpaw had stumbled into and shook his head. "Apprentices," he murmured. He set the herbs down in front of his stone shelves and glanced over his shoulder, his single orange eye roving as he took in the sight of the poorly lit den. For once, he had the medicine den to himself. Any injured cats were well enough to sleep in their own dens and simply drop by for an extra layer of salve or a checkup to make sure any scrapes or scratches showed no sign of infection. The old tom breathed a contented sigh. "Finally, I can get some work done," he said to himself. Careful, he bent down with his scarred muzzle and carefully began to nip the tiny leaves off of the thick stem and carefully lay out the leaves on the ground to let them dry in the greeleaf air. Suddenly, he raised his head, his torn and tattered ears swiveling as he caught the sound of a cat moving outside of his den. He wrinkled his nose as he caught the cat's scent. "Back again, Ringpaw?" He meowed, his voice a harsh croak. "Do you actually need me for something this time are are you just here to stand around and take up space again?"
Haha, I hope. :3)

Ringpaw trotted through the camp entrance.
Her mottled calico fur was all spiked up and prickly all over, slicked damp with sweat and glistening in the sunhigh daylight. She tugged through the bramble lined tunnel, grateful for the shade of towering trees overhead. She had just been in an intense battle training session with Snapbranch, the long fighting ending in a huge coughing fit and her being sent back to camp with these orders:
“Get out of my sight and go somewhere where you’ll be useful. It’s bad enough trying to train you featherbrained kit pretending to be a warrior, I can’t believe why Skyclan still lets you live here.”
Snapbranch’s harsh words had only ruffled her fur. She was used to the verbal attacks he conducted on her, so it wasn’t anything new. In fact, she was pleased she had been returned to camp. A cool drink of water and some time to rest was exactly what she needed.
Eyes brightening as she entered Skyclan Clearing, she paused in the large archway above her to observe what was going on.
A few warriors were having fresh kill by the prey pile, and some elders were dosing by the spacious den they nested in, basking in the greenleaf sunlight.
Bouncing on her toes, Ringpaw gazed wildly around, looking for a form of amusement for the hours she had until her grumpy mentor showed back up.
Ringpaw was extremely energetic, almost all of her denmates knew this. She didn’t have many ‘friends’ at this point, but she knew that there was one who didn’t ignore her. His name was something like… Snatchedpaw. A strange name, no less, but if he didn’t bark at her over nothing, she could forget about his name.
Her pale mint eyes finally drifted towards the dark green mound of greenery that was the medicine den.
Come to think of it, she had never really been inside. The only time she had ever interacted with the felines inside was when she had dropped off a bundle of new moss to line the nests with for the sick cats.
Trotting forward, she sniffed the entrance. It smelled of strong, pungent herbs, and she sneezed loudly.
Ringpaw jumped at the sound of Shinefang’s voice. Shinefang had been known to be snappy, so she had carefully tiptoed around him, but today she felt like chatting.
“Urm, no not really. Guess I’m just wasting space as always.” She joked back, a bit more warmly than Shinefang had. Suddenly, she pushed her head through the den, her messy calico pelt bordered by the daylight shining into the large area.
She saw a large pile of herbs by Shinefang’s feet.
“What’s that?” She asked loudly, her voice curious and happy. “May I come in?” She asked. Before waiting for an answer, she stepped excitedly into the musty room.

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Last edited by pomegranate; June 10th, 2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fishie View Post

Haha, I hope. :3)

Ringpaw trotted through the camp entrance.
Her mottled calico fur was all spiked up and prickly all over, slicked damp with sweat and glistening in the sunhigh daylight. She tugged through the bramble lined tunnel, grateful for the shade of towering trees overhead. She had just been in an intense battle training session with Snapbranch, the long fighting ending in a huge coughing fit and her being sent back to camp with these orders:
“Get out of my sight and go somewhere where you’ll be useful. It’s bad enough trying to train you featherbrained kit pretending to be a warrior, I can’t believe why Skyclan still lets you live here.”
Snapbranch’s harsh words had only ruffled her fur. She was used to the verbal attacks he conducted on her, so it wasn’t anything new. In fact, she was pleased she had been returned to camp. A cool drink of water and some time to rest was exactly what she needed.
Eyes brightening as she entered Skyclan Clearing, she paused in the large archway above her to observe what was going on.
A few warriors were having fresh kill by the prey pile, and some elders were dosing by the spacious den they nested in, basking in the greenleaf sunlight.
Bouncing on her toes, Ringpaw gazed wildly around, looking for a form of amusement for the hours she had until her grumpy mentor showed back up.
Ringpaw was extremely energetic, almost all of her denmates knew this. She didn’t have many ‘friends’ at this point, but she knew that there was one who didn’t ignore her. His name was something like… Snatchedpaw. A strange name, no less, but if he didn’t bark at her over nothing, she could forget about his name.
Her pale mint eyes finally drifted towards the dark green mound of greenery that was the medicine den.
Come to think of it, she had never really been inside. The only time she had ever interacted with the felines inside was when she had dropped off a bundle of new moss to line the nests with for the sick cats.
Trotting forward, she sniffed the entrance. It smelled of strong, pungent herbs, and she sneezed loudly.
Ringpaw jumped at the sound of Shinefang’s voice. Shinefang had been known to be snappy, so she had carefully tiptoed around him, but today she felt like chatting.
“Urm, no not really. Guess I’m just wasting space as always.” She joked back, a bit more warmly than Shinefang had. Suddenly, she pushed her head through the den, her messy calico pelt bordered by the daylight shining into the large area.
She saw a large pile of herbs by Shinefang’s feet.
“What’s that?” She asked loudly, her voice curious and happy. “May I come in?” She asked. Before waiting for an answer, she stepped excitedly into the musty room.

Shinefang's whiskers gave a twitch as he heard the apprentice sneeze. The smell of herbs in the den was awfully pungent in the den and many cats shied away from the sheer strength of the scent. He glanced up from the thyme as the apprentice slipped in and looked her over, his head turned to look directly at her with his eye. The apprentice had multi-colored fur in patches, and she looked just about as healthy as a young cat could be. He grunted to acknowledge her and bit off another leave and laid it flat against the den from to dry. "Thyme," he said simply. Then all at once she was in his den, standing behind him having not waited for an answer. "Yeah sure, come on in. Make yourself comfortable. After all, my den is obviously meant for cats to just wander on in and stand around like trees." The older tom plucked a strand from his bushel and set it down next to him. "If you're going to just stand there, at least make yourself useful," he grumbled. "Bite the leaves off the stalk and set them in the sun beam. And for Starclan's sake, don't bite through the leaves themselves. They'll be ruined." He finished stripping off the last leaf from the strand he had been working on a pushed the naked stalk out of the way, grabbing a fresh one and starting again.

Old June 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM
boo

Quote:
Shinefang's whiskers gave a twitch as he heard the apprentice sneeze. The smell of herbs in the den was awfully pungent in the den and many cats shied away from the sheer strength of the scent. He glanced up from the thyme as the apprentice slipped in and looked her over, his head turned to look directly at her with his eye. The apprentice had multi-colored fur in patches, and she looked just about as healthy as a young cat could be. He grunted to acknowledge her and bit off another leave and laid it flat against the den from to dry. "Thyme," he said simply. Then all at once she was in his den, standing behind him having not waited for an answer. "Yeah sure, come on in. Make yourself comfortable. After all, my den is obviously meant for cats to just wander on in and stand around like trees." The older tom plucked a strand from his bushel and set it down next to him. "If you're going to just stand there, at least make yourself useful," he grumbled. "Bite the leaves off the stalk and set them in the sun beam. And for Starclan's sake, don't bite through the leaves themselves. They'll be ruined." He finished stripping off the last leaf from the strand he had been working on a pushed the naked stalk out of the way, grabbing a fresh one and starting again.
Ringpaw nodded dutifully as he said she could come in, but then stopped when she realized he had continued. She smiled boldly at him, if he was going to grumpy, she would be cheerful. It normally worked on her denmates. Not really. Mostly resulted in them throwing moss at her.
She watched in a blank stare as he showed her the plant. Peering over his shoulder, she blinked her green eyes, the orbs widening.
“How would they be ruined? Would they not work anymore?” She asked, sitting down with a soft thump on the den’s floor. She reached out with one coal black paw, patting the pile with a fluffy toe and selecting one stem.
It had large leaves, with a dark olive color, and a very remarkable scent. She sniffed it, then sneezed again. She flicked her torn ear, then bent her muzzle down to the largest of the leaves.
She squinted her eyes and wrinkled her face up in a scrunch as she very carefully placed her front two teeth by the base of the plant, severing the notch there until the small bit came free. She pulled back up and examined her work. Her tongue had a tiny bit of the herb’s taste on it, it was definitely unpleasant. But it was new, therefore it was cool.
She bent back over to work her way up the stem, and she sooner or later got the gist of it.
Of course, she messed up a few times. Trying to see if she could salvage some of the ruined ones, but one of the best leaf had a puncture mark in it.
She got up and slowly pushed the meager pile of greenery towards the bright sunlight shaft, and she carefully placed them in a spread out mound here and there.
Sitting back on her haunches, she nudged past the older feline and grabbed another frond with her paw pad.
“Was that alright?” She meowed To Shinefang, her striped tail flicking back and forth as she awaited his answer. She thought she had done okay, only one or two leaves had been mangled.
She began to work on the next stem, her eyes towards Shinefang.

~pom~

i don’t really think i’ll be active that much anymore - check out my free art requests!

Last edited by pomegranate; June 10th, 2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Sigh...

Quote:

Ringpaw nodded dutifully as he said she could come in, but then stopped when she realized he had continued. She smiled boldly at him, if he was going to grumpy, she would be cheerful. It normally worked on her denmates. Not really. Mostly resulted in them throwing moss at her.
She watched in a blank stare as he showed her the plant. Peering over his shoulder, she blinked her green eyes, the orbs widening.
“How would they be ruined? Would they not work anymore?” She asked, sitting down with a soft thump on the den’s floor. She reached out with one coal black paw, patting the pile with a fluffy toe and selecting one stem.
It had large leaves, with a dark olive color, and a very remarkable scent. She sniffed it, then sneezed again. She flicked her torn ear, then bent her muzzle down to the largest of the leaves.
She squinted her eyes and wrinkled her face up in a scrunch as she very carefully placed her front two teeth by the base of the plant, severing the notch there until the small bit came free. She pulled back up and examined her work. Her tongue had a tiny bit of the herb’s taste on it, it was definitely unpleasant. But it was new, therefore it was cool.
She bent back over to work her way up the stem, and she sooner or later got the gist of it.
Of course, she messed up a few times. Trying to see if she could salvage some of the ruined ones, but one of the best leaf had a puncture mark in it.
She got up and slowly pushed the meager pile of greenery towards the bright sunlight shaft, and she carefully placed them in a spread out mound here and there.
Sitting back on her haunches, she nudged past the older feline and grabbed another frond with her paw pad.
“Was that alright?” She meowed To Shinefang, her striped tail flicking back and forth as she awaited his answer. She thought she had done okay, only one or two leaves had been mangled.
She began to work on the next stem, her eyes towards Shinefang.
"They won't work as well," he explained. He pointed to one of the leaves that had been set out to dry. "All the healing properties are in the leaves themselves. Tear a leaf and some of it will be lost when the plant dries. The idea is to keep the good stuff contained." As the two of them worked in silence, he caught just the faintest sound of the occasional leave being torn. He didn't look up though. The old torn just huffed and kept his eyes on his own work. When the apprentice nudged her pile of leaves closer to him, the medicine cat looked at the apprentice, then down at the leaves. His jaw tightened as he saw that a few of the little green leaves had holes in them, but all in all the whole leaves vastly outnumbered the partials. "Not terrible," he admitted in a low grumble as he watched her take another stalk. In any case, she was helping him get this done faster, which meant that he was a little closer to the time of his noon high nap. He just might get to actually have one today if his clanmates could just contain their talents for getting themselves hurt for just a little more time today. "Try to use your tongue to find the spot where the leaf meets the stalk. And go slow. Make sure you have the right spot before you bite down," he instructed. The old tom bit off another leaf to demonstrate. "Like that." As he laid the leaf in the sun, careful to make sure it wasn't touching the others so that it would dry evenly, he said to the shecat, "Are you done with warrior training for the day already? It's not even sunhigh. Surely you mentor has something for you to do. What's his name again? Sharpbriar or something?"

Old June 10th, 2018, 10:53 AM
boo

Quote:
"They won't work as well," he explained. He pointed to one of the leaves that had been set out to dry. "All the healing properties are in the leaves themselves. Tear a leaf and some of it will be lost when the plant dries. The idea is to keep the good stuff contained." As the two of them worked in silence, he caught just the faintest sound of the occasional leave being torn. He didn't look up though. The old torn just huffed and kept his eyes on his own work. When the apprentice nudged her pile of leaves closer to him, the medicine cat looked at the apprentice, then down at the leaves. His jaw tightened as he saw that a few of the little green leaves had holes in them, but all in all the whole leaves vastly outnumbered the partials. "Not terrible," he admitted in a low grumble as he watched her take another stalk. In any case, she was helping him get this done faster, which meant that he was a little closer to the time of his noon high nap. He just might get to actually have one today if his clanmates could just contain their talents for getting themselves hurt for just a little more time today. "Try to use your tongue to find the spot where the leaf meets the stalk. And go slow. Make sure you have the right spot before you bite down," he instructed. The old tom bit off another leaf to demonstrate. "Like that." As he laid the leaf in the sun, careful to make sure it wasn't touching the others so that it would dry evenly, he said to the shecat, "Are you done with warrior training for the day already? It's not even sunhigh. Surely you mentor has something for you to do. What's his name again? Sharpbriar or something?"
“So leaves can’t be torn or else they’ll lose their magic?” She asked confidently. Herbs, in her opinion, were like magic. She hadn’t ever exactly used them before, but apparently they were supposed to help speed up the process of natural healing, or something like that.
She purred when he complimented her work. Ringpaw nodded at his comment, happy that she had managed to get the thing that most felines didn’t get; some nice words from Shinefang. Apparently, he was notorious for sharp comments and comebacks, but if you were lucky you would get a good word in from him. Even Shinefang was a much better substitute to Snapbranch, what with her nasty mentor’s yelling and demanding training sessions.
“Okay!” She said, and slowed down her pace a bit. He was right, if she tried to use her tongue a bit more, she was able to find just where the leaf had a small crease to bite down on. This certainly made things much... slower, but she was extremely proud when she saw that her bite marks were more careful and precise than before.
She listened as Shinefang asked her about her warrior training. ”His name is Snapbranch. It should be Grumpysnout, to be honest.” She meowed, pushing the pile of leaves next to the others she and Shinefang had done.
“He sent me back to camp early, because apparently I was being useless today. He was so mean! He says it’s my fault I don’t learn anything, but if he’d actually teach me something instead of yelling at me I might actually be able to fight!” She huffed. “But, now I’m here and this is a lot more fun than chasing squirrels.” She purred, looking up to Shinefang as she added another leaf to the drying greens.
“Weren’t you a warrior before being a medicine cat? What was it like?” She asked, her voice sweet as she talked.
She moved her muzzle back down to the stem, and nipped another leaf off. This one was especially tangy, and she recoiled as she bit on her tongue in surprise. She would have to get used to the strong taste soon; Shinefang had practically a mountain of these left to do. It was fun, to be honest. She kind of liked this ‘herb trimming’.

~pom~

Last edited by pomegranate; June 10th, 2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:18 AM
Sigh...

Quote:

“So leaves can’t be torn or else they’ll lose their magic?” She asked confidently. Herbs, in her opinion, were like magic. She hadn’t ever exactly used them before, but apparently they were supposed to help speed up the process of natural healing, or something like that.
She purred when he complimented her work. Ringpaw nodded at his comment, happy that she had managed to get the thing that most felines didn’t get; some nice words from Shinefang. Apparently, he was notorious for sharp comments and comebacks, but if you were lucky you would get a good word in from him. Even Shinefang was a much better substitute to Snapbranch, what with her nasty mentor’s yelling and demanding training sessions.
“Okay!” She said, and slowed down her pace a bit. He was right, if she tried to use her tongue a bit more, she was able to find just where the leaf had a small crease to bite down on. This certainly made things much... slower, but she was extremely proud when she saw that her bite marks were more careful and precise than before.
She listened as Shinefang asked her about her warrior training. ”His name is Snapbranch. It should be Grumpysnout, to be honest.” She meowed, pushing the pile of leaves next to the others she and Shinefang had done.
“He sent me back to camp early, because apparently I was being useless today. He was so mean! He says it’s my fault I don’t learn anything, but if he’d actually teach me something instead of yelling at me I might actually be able to fight!” She huffed. “But, now I’m here and this is a lot more fun than chasing squirrels.” She purred, looking up to Shinefang as she added another leaf to the drying greens.
“Weren’t you a warrior before being a medicine cat? What was it like?” She asked, her voice sweet as she talked.
She moved her muzzle back down to the stem, and nipped another leaf off. This one was especially tangy, and she recoiled as she bit on her tongue in surprise. She would have to get used to the strong taste soon; Shinefang had practically a mountain of these left to do. It was fun, to be honest. She kind of liked this ‘herb trimming’.
The old tom gave a soft, shorting laugh. "Sure kit, magic. Actually if you want to get technical, its the juice inside the plant that helps. Shinefang positioned his teeth over the stalk of the plant he was working on and bit it in half neat. It crunched in his jaws, then he carefully set it on the ground and bent very low, pointing at the severed end with his nose. "See that little bit of juice leaking out? That's what the stuff in the leaves looks like, only the stuff in the leaves can help sooth a cat who is anxious or in shock. It could be the difference between life and death for a cat who has been badly injured. Shock can be just as dangerous as a wound." As they continued, he saw the younger cat had slowed her pace considerable, and as she moved leaves into the light, it was clear she was trimming more of them properly than before. He didn't know what to say about her mentor and merely grunted in acknowledgement. He understood being tough on apprentices. He'd trained his fair share of them before after all. But sometimes, these younger cats could be awfully mousebrained with their trainees. Younger cats needed to be encouraged as much as corrected and there was a difference between working an apprentice hard and just cutting them down. It was just fortunate that Ringpaw didn't appear to be more than peeved at her mentor for his words.

"I sure was," the old tom replied. "For moons and moons. In many ways, I still am. My body might not be up for it, but if it could keep up with my fighting knowledge I could teach a few cats at once a lesson on why no clan messes with Skyclan. These scars aren't just for show, you know." The old tom was covered in scars and he was proud of them. "I saw more than my fair share of battles and took my licks in service of my clan and loved ever day of it." The old tom still remembered the first day he realized it was hard to keep up with patrols. He had thought the other cats were just particularly fast that day. He had a whole list of excuses: he had had a big meal and it was sitting wrong on his stomach, his had slept on a leg wrong and that's why the joint was bothering him, there was something in the air bothering him and that's why he was out of breath so soon. It had been a difficult day when he had had to admit to himself that it was his age. Even now, he would only admit it to Grousestar. "What were you having so much trouble with during training," he asked, his voice a tiny bit warmer than usual with genuine curiosity.