Go Back   Warrior Cats Online > Archives > Old Topics > Main Roleplay > SkyClan

Notice
Please read our Content Policy Update!

Interested in joining the staff team? Look here!
Allegiances

ThunderClan
Leader: Bumblestar
Deputy: Spiderthroat
Medicine Cats:
 Drizzlecloud, Springlight

ShadowClan
Leader
Dawnstar
Deputy
: None
Medicine Cat: Lostspark
Medicine Cat Apprentice:
Mossfreckle

RiverClan
Leader
: Fadingsun
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Mistyshard

Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

WindClan
Leader
Twilightstar
Deputy: None
Medicine Cat: Lightningstorm
Medicine Cat Apprentice: None

Recent Threads
RiverClan Patrols
by Estelle
Last post by Fritter
Today 05:39 AM
Haven Springs
Last post by Fritter
Today 05:26 AM
RiverClan Healing
by starry
Last post by starry
Today 04:09 AM
Introducing Myself
Last post by Wingnettle
Today 03:41 AM
answering the call...
by taillow
Last post by Forgetfulshape
Today 02:29 AM

Old February 2nd, 2018, 09:39 PM
Sigh...

My Mood: Hopeful

Default Re: SkyClan Medicine Cat's Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kaleb! View Post
"Chervil is good for belly aches and also for treating infected wounds, theyre also good for kitting to ease the pain of a queen. its a multipurpose herb and is pretty valuabe and common. it looks alot like fern, but the leaves themselves are more spiked on the ridges and spread apart. its easy to get them mixed up though. the one way to also tell them apart is their scent, they smell sweet, almost like honey and can sometimes have white flowers in new leaf." they explained clearly from memory. "Its more commonly found in forest like territories, so like yours or thunderclan, and sometimes shadowclan. you want to chew them to get the juice out of the leaves and spit that juice into the wound or have the patient swallow it."
"It's good for kitting queens, eh?" Shinefang wondered allowed. "Good to know..." Shinefang's ear gave a twitch as he listened to how to locate chervil, all the while waiting for an opportunity to ask more about assisting queens in giving birth. He had meant to move on and ask about his other patient in the den recovering from a broken leg, but his old apprentice and younger sister to his mate Slatepelt was due to kit any day now, and the prospect made him more nervous than he cared to admit to any of his clanmates, though he suspected many of them knew already. He held up a paw as Daydream finished speaking about chervil. "Right yes yes. Kitting though. Obviously its not as though I'm likely to get a lesson in the midst of a queen giving birth, but a few queens are just about ready to pop any day in the nursery. I know the basics: tear the kit's sack open with your teeth and lick their fur backwards, the queen can bite down on a stick when the pain comes... what else have you got? I don't want to find myself empty pawed with any of them. I trained one of them to be a warrior you see. Many moons ago."

Though he tried to come off as calm, but curious, Shinefang worried deeply about the possibility of failing a queen who needed his help in this vital part of clan life. Not only because they needed him, but losing a queen while kitting... it would be too much like like losing his mate all over again. He had barely survived it once. He didn't think he'd last through a second time.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:33 AM
whats up danger?

My Mood: Kingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmer View Post
"It's good for kitting queens, eh?" Shinefang wondered allowed. "Good to know..." Shinefang's ear gave a twitch as he listened to how to locate chervil, all the while waiting for an opportunity to ask more about assisting queens in giving birth. He had meant to move on and ask about his other patient in the den recovering from a broken leg, but his old apprentice and younger sister to his mate Slatepelt was due to kit any day now, and the prospect made him more nervous than he cared to admit to any of his clanmates, though he suspected many of them knew already. He held up a paw as Daydream finished speaking about chervil. "Right yes yes. Kitting though. Obviously its not as though I'm likely to get a lesson in the midst of a queen giving birth, but a few queens are just about ready to pop any day in the nursery. I know the basics: tear the kit's sack open with your teeth and lick their fur backwards, the queen can bite down on a stick when the pain comes... what else have you got? I don't want to find myself empty pawed with any of them. I trained one of them to be a warrior you see. Many moons ago."

Though he tried to come off as calm, but curious, Shinefang worried deeply about the possibility of failing a queen who needed his help in this vital part of clan life. Not only because they needed him, but losing a queen while kitting... it would be too much like like losing his mate all over again. He had barely survived it once. He didn't think he'd last through a second time.
"Well you got the basics down, you dont want to give a queen to many herbs or else her body will be overwhelmed. which is why sometimes we settle for a stick to chew on for the pain. but there are some herbs that are good, cobs webs are good to lower the chance of bleeding, though i dont recommend this seeing as cobwebs can carry infection from being on the ground, so stop the bleeding with your tongue instead. youre correct, you open the sack with your teeth and lick in the opposite direction to warm the kit, it also circulated blood, too. a tip is to blow into the kits nose to start their breathing and get air in their lungs." they explained. they havent birthed many kits in their time, but theyve had their experiences to know enough,"Borage is good for bringing a good supply of milk in a queen, it also brings down fevers. it had a skinny stem with star shaped blue or pink flowers, and you can find them in forests. Burndet is good to keep a cats strength up, they look like ferns but their leaves look like green petals, and are good for giving to a queen after birth to stay awake. Again, chervil is good for during kitting, it helps with the contractions and belly aches and makes it less painful. If you want to mix all of these herbs together and give it to the queen in one, very small does may i add, mix it with some cobble nuts to make it into a paste, mixed in with some honey to make it sweeter, and feed it to them." they finished. "And while I hope this never happens, but," they started, voice softer,"if i queen loses kits, or her kits have gone still in her belly, its best to give her goatweed. it helps with anxiety and eases the mind. oh, and NEVER give poppy seeds to kits-" they could honestly ramble on forever. they really did know their job well even if they acted like a sarcastic asshole all the time. they were passionate about their rank, and job.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM
Sigh...

Quote:
"Well you got the basics down, you dont want to give a queen to many herbs or else her body will be overwhelmed. which is why sometimes we settle for a stick to chew on for the pain. but there are some herbs that are good, cobs webs are good to lower the chance of bleeding, though i dont recommend this seeing as cobwebs can carry infection from being on the ground, so stop the bleeding with your tongue instead. youre correct, you open the sack with your teeth and lick in the opposite direction to warm the kit, it also circulated blood, too. a tip is to blow into the kits nose to start their breathing and get air in their lungs." they explained. they havent birthed many kits in their time, but theyve had their experiences to know enough,"Borage is good for bringing a good supply of milk in a queen, it also brings down fevers. it had a skinny stem with star shaped blue or pink flowers, and you can find them in forests. Burndet is good to keep a cats strength up, they look like ferns but their leaves look like green petals, and are good for giving to a queen after birth to stay awake. Again, chervil is good for during kitting, it helps with the contractions and belly aches and makes it less painful. If you want to mix all of these herbs together and give it to the queen in one, very small does may i add, mix it with some cobble nuts to make it into a paste, mixed in with some honey to make it sweeter, and feed it to them." they finished. "And while I hope this never happens, but," they started, voice softer,"if i queen loses kits, or her kits have gone still in her belly, its best to give her goatweed. it helps with anxiety and eases the mind. oh, and NEVER give poppy seeds to kits-" they could honestly ramble on forever. they really did know their job well even if they acted like a sarcastic asshole all the time. they were passionate about their rank, and job.
Shinefang watched Daydream explain it all, glancing at his herb wall as they described Burnet. He reached over with his paw and pulled down a dry, green herb that looked like a frond from a fern with oval leaves. "You mean this, right? We've got some fairly good patches of it in places in the territory where the trees aren't as dense and there's more grass. Will it still work if its dry like this?" he asked. At the mention of goatweed, he looked at his stores again, unsure what that looked like. "Huh... didn't know there was an herb for that. I know thyme is good for shock and anxiety. Where's this goatweed? See any?" he asked, hoping Daydream would point it out to him if they saw it. Finally, at the cautionary piece about poppy seeds, he nodded and meowed. "I have heard that. I'm not sure why that is though. Are they too much for kits? And for that matter, is they any sort of rule to go by for dosing cats with poppy seeds?" Shinefang paused, hesitating as he found himself about to admit what might had been an error that had cost an apprentice his life. "I didn't have time to mention this last time you were here, but the apprentice that was dead when you got here, Acornpaw...he came in with a bleeding head injury. He was disoriented and tired. I treated his head wound, stopped the bleding and used some herbs to prevent infection, and gave him a couple poppy seeds to help him rest. I told him he'd be fine..." Shinefang let the silence linger, knowing that he'd never be able to take back the question he was about to ask, and the answer might haunt him. "Did I... do something wrong? I have to know if something I did killed that poor kit..."

Last edited by Charmer; February 3rd, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:22 PM
whats up danger?

Quote:
Shinefang watched Daydream explain it all, glancing at his herb wall as they described Burnet. He reached over with his paw and pulled down a dry, green herb that looked like a frond from a fern with oval leaves. "You mean this, right? We've got some fairly good patches of it in places in the territory where the trees aren't as dense and there's more grass. Will it still work if its dry like this?" he asked. At the mention of goatweed, he looked at his stores again, unsure what that looked like. "Huh... didn't know there was an herb for that. I know thyme is good for shock and anxiety. Where's this goatweed? See any?" he asked, hoping Daydream would point it out to him if they saw it. Finally, at the cautionary piece about poppy seeds, he nodded and meowed. "I have heard that. I'm not sure why that is though. Are they too much for kits? And for that matter, is they any sort of rule to go by for dosing cats with poppy seeds?" Shinefang paused, hesitating as he found himself about to admit what might had been an error that had cost an apprentice his life. "I didn't have time to mention this last time you were here, but the apprentice that was dead when you got here, Acornpaw...he came in with a bleeding head injury. He was disoriented and tired. I treated his head wound, stopped the bleding and used some herbs to prevent infection, and gave him a couple poppy seeds to help him rest. I told him he'd be fine..." Shinefang let the silence linger, knowing that he'd never be able to take back the question he was about to ask, and the answer might haunt him. "Did I... do something wrong? I have to know if something I did killed that poor kit..."
"Goat weed is grown natrually brown, so it may look dead at first, but its not. it also has shiny leave..like this here-" they padded over to one side of the den, scuffling a few herbs out of the way, pointing at it, "this is goatweed." they explained. but they turned their head when shinefang spoke about acornpaw. they sighed. "If you want me to be honest, and you always know i will be," they mewed, tone softer. as strict and blunt as they could be theyd never be cruel about death, "poppy seeds are like a..depressant. they slow down the body and nervous system, like how it feels when youre asleep. its why we give them to cats to help them sleep, and it helps with axneiyt aswell. but i wouldnt give it to a patient with a serious injury like that because since the bodies slowing down, its not working fast enough to keep the heart rate going, the blood pumping, and so on. its also why we dont give them to kits, their body is too small the handle any does and will kill or put them into a dangerous coma. two poppy seeds are good for injuries to feel no pain, three or four to be able to sleep, but no more than five. thatll kill someone."
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Sigh...

Quote:
"Goat weed is grown natrually brown, so it may look dead at first, but its not. it also has shiny leave..like this here-" they padded over to one side of the den, scuffling a few herbs out of the way, pointing at it, "this is goatweed." they explained. but they turned their head when shinefang spoke about acornpaw. they sighed. "If you want me to be honest, and you always know i will be," they mewed, tone softer. as strict and blunt as they could be theyd never be cruel about death, "poppy seeds are like a..depressant. they slow down the body and nervous system, like how it feels when youre asleep. its why we give them to cats to help them sleep, and it helps with axneiyt aswell. but i wouldnt give it to a patient with a serious injury like that because since the bodies slowing down, its not working fast enough to keep the heart rate going, the blood pumping, and so on. its also why we dont give them to kits, their body is too small the handle any does and will kill or put them into a dangerous coma. two poppy seeds are good for injuries to feel no pain, three or four to be able to sleep, but no more than five. thatll kill someone."
Shinefang didn't reply at first. His fears had been confirmed. That night, he'd given Acornpaw two poppy seeds. Just two to help ease his mind and let him rest. It had worked... he'd never worry about a thing again. A cold sickness roiled deep within Shinefang's soul. As a warrior, he'd killed before. If that was the only way to defend himself, he'd do it. But he'd never killed a cat that wasn't trying to kill him, and certainly never one who had come to him for help... until now. What had he been thinking stepping in to take on this role? Did he really think a senior warrior could be a medicine cat? He was an old tom tossing herbs at cats with only minor knowledge of how maybe half of them might work. And now he knew, not only could this get a cat killed, it had. And it had gotten another apprentices tail amputated unnecessarily, and based on what he was learning about poppy seed dosages now, very nearly killed. Horror dug its claws into his belly. But Shinefang had spent moons and moons hiding his feelings from cats. He wasn't about to show any of this now. Instead, he looked at the goatweed Daydream had pulled onto the den floor and simply said. "I see... that's good to know then." The old tom reached for his herbs again nudging them about like he was sorting them, giving himself a moment to collect himself before he said anything more.

Old February 6th, 2018, 05:16 PM
whats up danger?

Quote:
Shinefang didn't reply at first. His fears had been confirmed. That night, he'd given Acornpaw two poppy seeds. Just two to help ease his mind and let him rest. It had worked... he'd never worry about a thing again. A cold sickness roiled deep within Shinefang's soul. As a warrior, he'd killed before. If that was the only way to defend himself, he'd do it. But he'd never killed a cat that wasn't trying to kill him, and certainly never one who had come to him for help... until now. What had he been thinking stepping in to take on this role? Did he really think a senior warrior could be a medicine cat? He was an old tom tossing herbs at cats with only minor knowledge of how maybe half of them might work. And now he knew, not only could this get a cat killed, it had. And it had gotten another apprentices tail amputated unnecessarily, and based on what he was learning about poppy seed dosages now, very nearly killed. Horror dug its claws into his belly. But Shinefang had spent moons and moons hiding his feelings from cats. He wasn't about to show any of this now. Instead, he looked at the goatweed Daydream had pulled onto the den floor and simply said. "I see... that's good to know then." The old tom reached for his herbs again nudging them about like he was sorting them, giving himself a moment to collect himself before he said anything more.
"Every medicine cat loses some patients. every clan loses some lives." they mewed, trying desperately to reassure him. they werent good with these types of things, but they would try. they would try for him. "You didnt know and there was nothing you could have done. there was no cat here to correct you, and sometimes it really pisses me off to know that ebonymist just left without a word to help you. but its okay because now i can teach you for the better." they spoke, amber gaze not leaving his once so ever. they themselves hadnt lost many pateints, many because they were a very fast learner despite not really having a permanent mentor. they didnt want shinefang to feel guilty or alone. "For now, Im going to teach you more complicated herb dosages and remedies for times when im not here, since you know the basics. is there anything youd like to know first?"
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
"Every medicine cat loses some patients. every clan loses some lives." they mewed, trying desperately to reassure him. they werent good with these types of things, but they would try. they would try for him. "You didnt know and there was nothing you could have done. there was no cat here to correct you, and sometimes it really pisses me off to know that ebonymist just left without a word to help you. but its okay because now i can teach you for the better." they spoke, amber gaze not leaving his once so ever. they themselves hadnt lost many pateints, many because they were a very fast learner despite not really having a permanent mentor. they didnt want shinefang to feel guilty or alone. "For now, Im going to teach you more complicated herb dosages and remedies for times when im not here, since you know the basics. is there anything youd like to know first?"
"That would be helpful," Shinefang replied, his tone steady. He turned away from his herbs to meet the younger cat's eyes. It was odd now to have said what he said outloud. To have the cat in front of him know that about the the fault he bore in Acornpaw's death. The silence hung between them. He knew the medicine cat meant well, but the old tom knew he'd carry that death with him until the end of his days. Won't be too long, I guess, he thought to himself smiling grimly at his own dark humor. His amber eye darted toward the resting Stingpaw. "The other apprentice there came in with a broken leg. I had to reset it and wrap it. It would be nice if you could have a look at what I've done before we move on. Just to make any adjustments for the next time it happens." He got up and padded over, pointing at the sleeping shecat. "I gave her some willow bark and thyme when she first got in to calm her nerves and ease the pain while still keeping her lucid. Then I gave her a stick to bite down on while I felt the break with my paws and set the bone.
Her father helped me get the sticks in place while I wrapped it with the web. My brother Yellowfoot broken his front leg falling out of tree once. So I got to see Stormflight, the medicine cat at the time, work on him. Though it has been a while." he admitted, lifting his paw to invite Daydream to look over his work.

Old February 9th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Lovable Cannibal

My Mood: Twisted

@Charmer

A whole moon he has spent here in this medicine cat den, wondering if he'd lose a life over his disease but so far, Shinefang has managed well and he hasn't made that second journey to Starclan. It finally seemed that the green cloud that has hazed his health, was finally starting to lift and as he slowly roused from his sleep, Grousestar could feel a world of difference. He wasn't in perfect condition, but he was definitely on the road to recovery.
Stretching his jaws wide in a yawn, he'd slowly bring a paw up to wipe across his face, dried snot crusted on his nose, there to remind him of his month of misery. He had to leave his duties as a leader to Auroraflame as he stayed here in this den, and while he was sure the she-cat didn't mind, he hated to know that he put her in that position. Not that he could exactly help getting sick.
Squinting his eyes open, the brown tabby would glance around in front of himself before fully opening his gaze, wincing a bit at the brightness before his eyes adjusted. There was still a bit of a headache and aching of his limbs, but the runny nose was starting to go away as well as the rattling cough that had plagued his lungs. To be truthful, he couldn't wait until all of it had gone and he could jump back into the swing of things and lead his clan again. Grousestar hated to be stuck in this den, completely useless to Skyclan. But soon enough he would be back up and ready to lead. He was in good paws.
Bringing his head around, the leader would gingerly start to rasp his tongue over his side, the only part of himself aside from his paws that he could reach without stretching and dealing with the achiness. His stomach rumbled faintly, reminding him of his nausea earlier on in his month of sickness, but it had seemed to fade away and his appetite was returning as well. Perhaps he could try to eat a mouse today. Regardless, he settled into his routine of waking up.

Credit to the wonderful Endless on WCO for my profile picture! Wonderful picture of Hannibal <3
Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?
Old February 9th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskflight View Post
@Charmer

A whole moon he has spent here in this medicine cat den, wondering if he'd lose a life over his disease but so far, Shinefang has managed well and he hasn't made that second journey to Starclan. It finally seemed that the green cloud that has hazed his health, was finally starting to lift and as he slowly roused from his sleep, Grousestar could feel a world of difference. He wasn't in perfect condition, but he was definitely on the road to recovery.
Stretching his jaws wide in a yawn, he'd slowly bring a paw up to wipe across his face, dried snot crusted on his nose, there to remind him of his month of misery. He had to leave his duties as a leader to Auroraflame as he stayed here in this den, and while he was sure the she-cat didn't mind, he hated to know that he put her in that position. Not that he could exactly help getting sick.
Squinting his eyes open, the brown tabby would glance around in front of himself before fully opening his gaze, wincing a bit at the brightness before his eyes adjusted. There was still a bit of a headache and aching of his limbs, but the runny nose was starting to go away as well as the rattling cough that had plagued his lungs. To be truthful, he couldn't wait until all of it had gone and he could jump back into the swing of things and lead his clan again. Grousestar hated to be stuck in this den, completely useless to Skyclan. But soon enough he would be back up and ready to lead. He was in good paws.
Bringing his head around, the leader would gingerly start to rasp his tongue over his side, the only part of himself aside from his paws that he could reach without stretching and dealing with the achiness. His stomach rumbled faintly, reminding him of his nausea earlier on in his month of sickness, but it had seemed to fade away and his appetite was returning as well. Perhaps he could try to eat a mouse today. Regardless, he settled into his routine of waking up.
With two tiny mice hanging from his jaws by their tails, Shinefang returned to his den. The last moon had been difficult. Grousestar had been touch and go as he battled what had to have been one of the worst illnesses he'd seen. He couldn't even say with certainty what it had been. When the leader's nose began to run and the mucus turned colorful and crusty, he had feared the greencough had come to Skyclan. But as ill as Grousestar had been, he didn't ever develop a cough. He had suffered through fever, and nausea, and his nose and mouth had run like a stream. Shinefang had thought it might be and infection, but no amount of herbs to counter infection seemed to phase it. The best he was able to do was keep the leader's fever down, give him strengthening herbs to help him recover, and let the leader's body do the rest. And rest had not come easily. But last night, Shinefang had seen his first sign that Grousestar might be taking a turn for the better. As the Skyclan leader slept, he seemed to sleep soundly for the first time in a long while. He hoped there would be more good signs today.

As soon as he entered his den, Shinefang saw that he had gotten his wish and grinned. "You look a lot less dead than yesterday," the tom murmured through his clamped jaws. He set the mice down on his dean floor and went to fetch a soaked mossball from his herb wall, grateful that it wasn't quite cold enough to freeze the precious water. He set the mossball in front of the brown tabby. "Drink," he ordered. "How are you feeling?"

Old February 9th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Lovable Cannibal

My Mood: Twisted

Quote:
With two tiny mice hanging from his jaws by their tails, Shinefang returned to his den. The last moon had been difficult. Grousestar had been touch and go as he battled what had to have been one of the worst illnesses he'd seen. He couldn't even say with certainty what it had been. When the leader's nose began to run and the mucus turned colorful and crusty, he had feared the greencough had come to Skyclan. But as ill as Grousestar had been, he didn't ever develop a cough. He had suffered through fever, and nausea, and his nose and mouth had run like a stream. Shinefang had thought it might be and infection, but no amount of herbs to counter infection seemed to phase it. The best he was able to do was keep the leader's fever down, give him strengthening herbs to help him recover, and let the leader's body do the rest. And rest had not come easily. But last night, Shinefang had seen his first sign that Grousestar might be taking a turn for the better. As the Skyclan leader slept, he seemed to sleep soundly for the first time in a long while. He hoped there would be more good signs today.

As soon as he entered his den, Shinefang saw that he had gotten his wish and grinned. "You look a lot less dead than yesterday," the tom murmured through his clamped jaws. He set the mice down on his dean floor and went to fetch a soaked mossball from his herb wall, grateful that it wasn't quite cold enough to freeze the precious water. He set the mossball in front of the brown tabby. "Drink," he ordered. "How are you feeling?"
Grousestar turned his head slightly as he heard another cat approach, emerald eyes falling on the medicine cat, a light smile of happiness stretching across his muzzle. If there was any cat in the world he was thankful for right now, it was the medicine cat. He truly was a miracle worker it seemed; not only had he managed to keep him from dying with his limited knowledge of herbs, he was slowly bringing him out of his sickness and soon enough he would be back on his paws. Shinefang was like a gift from Starclan at the moment it seemed. And even better? The tom was carrying food with him, his stomach giving another rumble of hunger at the sight, and smell, of the mice.
Hearing what the older tom said, the brown tabby couldn't help but let out a rumbling chuckle. "And I certainly feel less dead too," he responded, clearing his throat afterwards to get rid of the slight raspiness of it. Slowly his jaws would stretch wide in a yawn again before they clicked shut and he gave his head a shake, as if to shake away the very feeling of sleepiness. As the medicine cat went to fetch a moss ball, the leader bent his head forward slightly to sniff at one of the mice before pawing it closer to himself.

When Shinefang returned and ordered him to drink, the leader did so without question, as he was fairly parched anyways. After spending a few moments drinking from the mossball, nearly draining all of the cold water from it, he would swipe his tongue over his lips and look up at Shinefang to respond. "Certainly better than I've been feeling in the last moon. My nose and eyes don't feel runny anymore and my nausea seems to have gone, but my muscles still seem to hold a dull ache. Perhaps it's from laying here for so long."
After relaying on the information to the battle-scarred cat, Grousestar would turn his attention back to the mouse, eagerly starting to pluck the fur from it, keeping a neat pile off to the side.

Credit to the wonderful Endless on WCO for my profile picture! Wonderful picture of Hannibal <3
Hannibal's Den
Character Site

Help me hatch my egg?