Today 07:47 AM
The Swift Tiger {p}
Last post by bubble[error].
Today 07:46 AM

Old March 16th, 2024, 05:43 PM

Bump Policy: 72 hours. busy during weekdays until 4 p.m. EST
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Firefly Cove

Blazepaw and Riversong were done burying Finchpaw. The whole thing had been done in almost complete silence, and felt like it had both taken the entire day and not enough time at all. It was already dark enough that the infamous fireflies had come out, drifting through the meadow

Blazepaw's amber eyes stared down at the freshly upturned dirt. They had to dig up some of the flowers, too, which were now crushed underneath. It didn't matter. They'd grow back in a moon.

...Mudhound was the cat who sent him along to help with this, or more like they suggested that Riversong invite him. As much as he'd like to pretend that this was just another chore a warrior made him do, Blazepaw knew that he was the one who willingly came. He wouldn't leave his brother's burial to someone else, especially now that the crowd from the Willow's Rise was out of the way. It was just him, and Riversong. His brother's mentor. Blazepaw wouldn't call himself a compassionate or empathetic cat by any means, though he could convincingly put on the act- but even he could tell that Riversong was, deep down, distraught.

He wordlessly caught the gray tabby's clear blue gaze, expression unchanging.

@Littlesun0112
blazepaw

my rp tracker

Last edited by zozelen; March 23rd, 2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old March 16th, 2024, 08:23 PM
the stars are aligned

My Mood: Queenly

°•. info & relations ✿ they/them ✿ finder coming soon ✿ challenge mode! [skill-perk free]   .•°
Beachpaw -
Beachpaw was unimpressed at their lack of a catch. "Can you do one next and show me?" they asked, hopeful. Even if it'd been their first attempt, the unsuccessful outcome discouraged them into thinking they had to be missing SOMETHING. Wolfhive could show them how a skilled warrior approached prey and flawlessly mean nipped the life right outta it.

From their scenting, plenty of prey frequented the area so Wolfhive demonstrating on one surely wouldn't affect Beachpaw's chances of finding another afterward to practice what they'd observed.

@BEAR.

everything about us is going to be wonderful
Old March 16th, 2024, 08:42 PM
work is never done

Bump Policy: every 4 days
My Mood: Kingly

"Sure." Wolfhive wasn't a huge fan of demonstrating this, but he put on a brave face and didn't showcase his uncertainty. Taking a few steps away from the undergrowth, he scented the air - caught a whiff of a shrew, and lowered himself into a crouch.

The position always felt unnatural to him, if only because Wolfhive was used to the fluidity of battle and not the delicacy of a hunt. He crept forward in pursuit, doing his best to be quiet - and then, when the shrew came into sight, he pounced.

He was prepared to bite it, but he was alarmed by the lack-of shrew beneath his paws. A little flustered, Wolfhive straightened up and shook his pelt, giving his chest a few licks. ".. Sometimes it's just, like that."

Not wanting to leave it on a note of failure, he tried again - this time a mouse, to no avail. And again, with a bird pecking on the ground, to no avail. All he succeeded in was collecting loose feathers from the panicked bird.

Finally, he just got plain lucky - a mouse darted out in front of him and he caught it.

[ @Fawn ]

wolfhivewolfhive roleplaystc additional training
deceased charactersroleplay rules
Old March 16th, 2024, 10:39 PM
the stars are aligned

°•. info & relations ✿ they/them ✿ finder coming soon ✿ challenge mode! [skill-perk free]   .•°
Beachpaw -
Wolfhive's glorious string of misses eased the tension a little bit and soothed their own self-consciousness over failing to catch a stupid prey animal. Looked like even warriors had trouble with that sometimes, the best of warriors. (Maybe a tad unnerving to finally discover something that Wolfhive didn't do with ease.) A hornet outsmarted by a tiny critter, but they held back the accompanying smile.

Beachpaw nevertheless collected mental notes on each attempt. Soon enough, it was their turn to try again with Wolfhive managing to secure a mouse. If they'd learned anything from this outing, the main takeaway was that finding food (preferably from the fresh-kill pile) sure was easier than hunting food.

Their tail fluffed in excitement when a scent trail led them to a very small rabbit foraging by a log. They peeked over their shoulder to beckon Wolfhive closer, unsure they'd be able to land just right and then naturally the rabbit would bolt. So maybe -- they repositioned to ensure the rabbit would have a better chance of darting toward Wolfhive should it get away.

Bunching up, they sprang with teeth and claws prepared. An unpracticed hunting crouch and landing might've caught a less quick animal off-guard, but unfortunately, the bunny perked up and began its escape.

@BEAR.

Old March 16th, 2024, 10:55 PM
work is never done

Wolfhive was glad that Beachpaw didn't comment on his lackluster example. Getting hunting done had always seemed less important when war loomed overhead, and now that it mattered Wolfhive was regretting not honing that skill more.

Still, he kept himself composed despite the burning of his ears, and buried the mouse in a shallow hole. Didn't want a predator getting any ideas now that there was a tinge of blood in the air. As Beachpaw began pursuit of something, Wolfhive followed - again at a distance - until he saw their beckon. Then he moved closer.

The lil' bunny Beachpaw spooked took off into Wolfhive's path. Instantly he lunged, a growl in his throat as he managed to smack his paw against the bunny in a stun, and sink his teeth into its neck.

[ @Fawn ]

Old March 16th, 2024, 11:29 PM
the stars are aligned

Beachpaw -
Beachpaw squeaked in celebration when the rabbit collided with Wolfhive's deadly aim. "We got it!" More accurately, Wolfhive got it, and they tapered off slightly upon realizing. They'd almost got it but needed more practice quickening their pace from sneak to the attack. Against a rabbit's swiftness, Beachpaw hadn't stood a chance as a hunter in training.

"Is this enough for now?"

With dusk shining clearly into the cove, it seemed more time had passed than they'd been aware of. The only indicator had been an increasing tiredness weighing pressing down on them.

@BEAR.

Old March 16th, 2024, 11:43 PM
work is never done

As the rabbit went limp between his fangs, Wolfhive released it in favor of sitting up. "You did it! Nicely done." Beachpaw had found 'n scared it into Wolfhive's direction, so this was more of a Beachvictory than a Wolfwin. "Yeah.. I think this is plenty. You wanna take the rabbit back?" By far, it was the most impressive of their collection, 'n Wolfhive wanted to give them the chance to show it off. "Maybe you can see if the elders want it, they probably haven't seen prey that big since last leaf-fall 'n you can probably get a story outta Tansyjaw."

Wolfhive would go on to collect the eggs, bird, and the mouse he killed, before leading Beachpaw back to camp.

[ @Fawn ]

Old March 17th, 2024, 10:30 AM

Bump Policy: Bump me ASAP, or whenever :)

@zozelen

Riversong shifted around on their paws, brushing some of the chunky dirt off their claws. They looked around uneasily, hoping no one was secretly watching the burial. Of course, they would have loved for some more company, but Firefly Cove probably wouldn't provide the best cats for the job. They and the apprentice, Blazepaw, finished around dusk, and by some wonder the fireflies emerged from the grass. Riversong sighed. If only Finchpaw could've seen it.
"Riversong!" Finchpaw laughs. "The fireflies are so fast!" Riversong watches as Finchpaw trips and falls into the grass, sending a cloud of glowing bugs into the air. "It tickles!"
Riversong's eyes cracked open again. If the world had decided to never allow killing again, it'd be fine by them. No cat deserved to lose their apprentice. Or a family member. Riversong turned their head towards Blazepaw, only to see the apprentice stare straight back at them. Amber hues clashed with their own blue gaze as Riversong cleared their throat. "I'm sorry for your loss. Finchpaw... will be missed." It was my fault... they added internally.

-sign my sig below if you want-
Old March 18th, 2024, 07:05 AM
Loyal Jellybean fan

Status: The scariest person is someone with nothing left to lose
Bump Policy: 72 hours
My Mood: Unpredictable

The trio relax at the shoreline
Old March 20th, 2024, 11:21 PM
roar

Bump Policy: 72 hrs/48 for importance
My Mood: Lazy

Much to Mountaintalon's displeasure, it was snowing. Not heavily, but enough to make him irritated for as long as it kept up - though he could use the sour weather to his advantage, he supposed.

He led his son and daughter out to the Cove, eyeing the cliffs for any intruding fish before he glanced down at them. "We're working on hunting today," he said gruffly. "I want each of you to show me your crouches."

[ @finley.exe @Demeter i'm stealing both of u for baby training ]