Warrior Cats Online

Warrior Cats Online (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Plot Resources (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   [All] ♡ Medical advice | Cat health & illnesses (https://warriorcatsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53695)

Wingnettle July 17th, 2022 01:19 PM

Re: Need information about a cat's health? Click here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1230962)

Does that also mean any siblings of the kit could have a genetic predisposition for it as well, without necessarily developing HCM?

Thank you so much for the information, and the link! It's very helpful!

Yes, exactly. So no problem about having other healthy siblings. That's normal.

Estelle July 17th, 2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1230984)
Yes, exactly. So no problem about having other healthy siblings. That's normal.

Great, thank you!

gs29513 July 18th, 2022 01:33 PM

Hey! I was wondering what a twisted, slightly shorter leg could be caused by, and if a cat with that condition would be more likely to have kits with a disability of some kind. @Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 18th, 2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs29513 (Post 1231323)
Hey! I was wondering what a twisted, slightly shorter leg could be caused by, and if a cat with that condition would be more likely to have kits with a disability of some kind. @Wingnettle

Hi there! So...
There may be different causes for a twisted leg. For example, the cat may be born with a deformity due to genetic causes or because the fetus doesn't have enough space in the uterus to grow (the legs can't stretch and the bones/articulations weld badly). Otherwise they may acquire a twisted leg after an accident, for example a car accident or a terrible fall that end in an injury which doesn't heal correctly. Remember Cinderpelt? She got hit by a car and her leg never regained her previous shape. And Briarlight? She fell of that tree and her leg also remained twisted.

Can a cat like that have kits?
I'm not sure. I haven't studied how childbirth works physically, but I think that if the damage concerns legs only, then there's nothing to worry about. The real problem would be if the cat also has something wrong with their pelvis, since the kits have to pass trough that. However, a twisted leg is a matter of tendons, articulations and bones. Birth works trough the musculature, so if the pelvis doesn't have any deformity all should be ok.

I hope this'll be good enough! I tried with my limited 2-years knowledge:)

Estelle July 18th, 2022 02:20 PM

Hello, me again. Sorry if this is a bit silly, but if a cat were to have an allergic reaction to salmon, would the symptoms go away by itself at some point? Would the cat be able to survive if, say, their throat and/or tongue swelled up if the swelling remained to a minimum or is that just certain death without the required treatment?
@Wingnettle

Wingnettle July 18th, 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1231340)
Hello, me again. Sorry if this is a bit silly, but if a cat were to have an allergic reaction to salmon, would the symptoms go away by itself at some point? Would the cat be able to survive if, say, their throat and/or tongue swelled up if the swelling remained to a minimum or is that just certain death without the required treatment?
@Wingnettle

Hello, that's not silly at all!
This is a useful resource -> https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/salmon-allergy
The symptoms may be mild or severe; if extreme, the cat develops an anaphylactic reaction and the throat/tongue swelling might cause suffocation and death in little time. Otherwise the symptoms will just go away on their own and the cat will just have to avoid that food for good.

Estelle July 18th, 2022 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingnettle (Post 1231358)
Hello, that's not silly at all!
This is a useful resource -> https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/salmon-allergy
The symptoms may be mild or severe; if extreme, the cat develops an anaphylactic reaction and the throat/tongue swelling might cause suffocation and death in little time. Otherwise the symptoms will just go away on their own and the cat will just have to avoid that food for good.

Thhhank you very much again, and for the clarification! That resource is indeed very useful! I might maybe still go with mild swelling of the tongue, just not enough to suffocate him, and itching. He's going to hate salmon with a passion.

Wingnettle July 19th, 2022 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estelle (Post 1231568)

Thhhank you very much again, and for the clarification! That resource is indeed very useful! I might maybe still go with mild swelling of the tongue, just not enough to suffocate him, and itching. He's going to hate salmon with a passion.

You're welcome, that's a great idea!

Wingnettle July 26th, 2022 10:08 AM

bump :heartbounce:

Courage July 28th, 2022 03:47 AM

im thinking of giving my main oc a disability, don't know what disability to give her tho. @Wingnettle